TubeTech

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
KIKBAK1

23 Nov 2017

Demo'd this thing when it first came out, but totally forgot how it sounds or the characteristics. Just picked it up for the sale, and need to spend some more time with it before drawing conclusions. I'm almost certain that my favorite compressor in Reason is the RE-2A. I'm judging on usage, and it clearly gets the most use (out of over 20 compressors).
KIKBAK1.com

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2017

Re-2a gets the most use from me as well! Love that thing!

bsp

23 Nov 2017

I'm not a big fan of the compressor but the EQs sound very nice / natural to my ears. Picked it up during the anniversary 50% off sale a while ago and I am using it a lot so I don't regret buying it.

KIKBAK1

23 Nov 2017

aeox wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Re-2a gets the most use from me as well! Love that thing!
Yeah man...Pure Class
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

23 Nov 2017

bsp wrote:
23 Nov 2017
I'm not a big fan of the compressor but the EQs sound very nice / natural to my ears. Picked it up during the anniversary 50% off sale a while ago and I am using it a lot so I don't regret buying it.

My plan is to use the TubeTech as part of an ALT vocal chain. Lately I've been using the Sheps 73 into the Re-2A to start the vocal chain
KIKBAK1.com

Loque

23 Nov 2017

I really like TubeTechs EQs, but i am not that fan of the compressor. The compressor is very smooth and soft and, some would say analog, i would say slow and boring. Might be best used on parallel setup of a bus to glue things a bit together. It reminds me a bit on the Moo Compressor. Maybe on the other hand i am just too dumb to use it right...
Reason12, Win10

KIKBAK1

23 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017
I really like TubeTechs EQs, but i am not that fan of the compressor. The compressor is very smooth and soft and, some would say analog, i would say slow and boring. Might be best used on parallel setup of a bus to glue things a bit together. It reminds me a bit on the Moo Compressor. Maybe on the other hand i am just too dumb to use it right...

Have you tried the EVE MP5? I haven't used it in a while, but it's in the toolbox. Yeah even at the fastest settings the attack & release are pretty slow. Good for Dirty drums etc
KIKBAK1.com

Loque

23 Nov 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017

Have you tried the EVE MP5? I haven't used it in a while, but it's in the toolbox. Yeah even at the fastest settings the attack & release are pretty slow. Good for Dirty drums etc
Yes i have the MP5, also very good EQ, but very different sound imo. MP5 sounds more clear to me, that is not always the thing i want. Might be the better choise if a mix gets a bit muddy. But i might not be the EQ expert here.
Reason12, Win10

FLVZ

23 Nov 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017
I'm almost certain that my favorite compressor in Reason is the RE-2A. I'm judging on usage, and it clearly gets the most use (out of over 20 compressors).
I think the first two Comps i always think of are RE-2A & C1L1. I think these two fulfill most responsibilities. The C1LB on the tubetech though I'd say is a lush bus compressor, I had to get used to it's behaviors but yeah anytime I need to bus guitars they love some TubeTech! The presets are really usable and TubeTech overall is a time saver for me just like RE2A.
Last edited by FLVZ on 23 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Dante

23 Nov 2017

I'm using the RE-2A mostly but anticipate using TubeTech more as I get time to tweak it up.

KIKBAK1

23 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017
KIKBAK1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017

Yes i have the MP5, also very good EQ, but very different sound imo. MP5 sounds more clear to me, that is not always the thing i want. Might be the better choise if a mix gets a bit muddy. But i might not be the EQ expert here.
Yeah, the TubeTech has a more "Analogy" type beefiness to it. Def heavier on the lo-end
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

23 Nov 2017

Flavolous wrote:
23 Nov 2017
KIKBAK1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017
I'm almost certain that my favorite compressor in Reason is the RE-2A. I'm judging on usage, and it clearly gets the most use (out of over 20 compressors).
I think the first two EQs i always think of are RE-2A & C1L1. I think these two fulfill most responsibilities.
I use the C1L1 every now and then. I like that mid scoop on vocals sometimes. I'm always moving at a fast pace and usually reach for what will work instead of experimenting. Realizing that's the problem is the first step
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

23 Nov 2017

Dante wrote:
23 Nov 2017
I'm using the RE-2A mostly but anticipate using TubeTech more as I get time to tweak it up.
RE-2A is easily a high end rack extension. Could easily sell for $100. Sounds sooo good
KIKBAK1.com

dustmoses

23 Nov 2017

Kikbak didn't know you posted here, big user of mpcii refill much respect.

KIKBAK1

23 Nov 2017

dustmoses wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Kikbak didn't know you posted here, big user of mpcii refill much respect.
Thanks brotha, I roll through all the time
KIKBAK1.com

Goriila Texas

23 Nov 2017

H-Comp from waves is my go to.

Loque

24 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017
KIKBAK1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017

Maybe its worth to mention, that you can actually buy the Eve EQ bundle for ridiculous 39€
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... at-bundle/
Reason12, Win10

ProfessaKaos

24 Nov 2017

Amazing EQ's and Compressor. That being said I have the RE-2a and very rarely use it, it's alright, I just don't find myself reaching for it over other compressors.

I find the CL-1b compressor to be the total opposite of what others have said, you can make it sound quite aggressive (not quite 1176 aggressive), make the attack pop, make it clamp down on the attack, make it sound smooth. If you have a vocal with harsh Essers it seems to control and help reduce the harshness of them, very versatile and musical. I feel the compressor shines most on vocals but it literally sounds good on anything IMO.

I wouldn't even compare the Eve EQ's to this as IMO they don't sound a like.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

EnochLight

25 Nov 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Demo'd this thing when it first came out, but totally forgot how it sounds or the characteristics. Just picked it up for the sale, and need to spend some more time with it before drawing conclusions. I'm almost certain that my favorite compressor in Reason is the RE-2A. I'm judging on usage, and it clearly gets the most use (out of over 20 compressors).
Congrats on scoring TubeTech!

TubeTech has had a permanent spot in my mastering chain for some time now. It's comp is subtle, but that's the point - it's perfectly suited for the mastering chain. The RE-2A is much too aggressive for that role, IMHO (I have both). I do like using the RE-2A on vocals, though - among other things.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KIKBAK1

25 Nov 2017

[/quote]
Maybe its worth to mention, that you can actually buy the Eve EQ bundle for ridiculous 39€
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... at-bundle/
[/quote]

Hah, I bought it when it first came out, def paid more than $39 I think $69
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

25 Nov 2017

ProfessaKaos wrote:
24 Nov 2017
Amazing EQ's and Compressor. That being said I have the RE-2a and very rarely use it, it's alright, I just don't find myself reaching for it over other compressors.

I find the CL-1b compressor to be the total opposite of what others have said, you can make it sound quite aggressive (not quite 1176 aggressive), make the attack pop, make it clamp down on the attack, make it sound smooth. If you have a vocal with harsh Essers it seems to control and help reduce the harshness of them, very versatile and musical. I feel the compressor shines most on vocals but it literally sounds good on anything IMO.

Hmm interesting, was mixing a song last night & tried the tubetech on the female lead vox,
It sounded too heavy for her, the RE-2A didn't sound good either, was pleasantly surprised that the EMI-12345 sounded awesome on her.
At the end of the day, will incorporate it in my works somehow. Is it always this fidly?
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

25 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Nov 2017
KIKBAK1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017

Congrats on scoring TubeTech!

TubeTech has had a permanent spot in my mastering chain for some time now. It's comp is subtle, but that's the point - it's perfectly suited for the mastering chain. The RE-2A is much too aggressive for that role, IMHO (I have both). I do like using the RE-2A on vocals, though - among other things.
Long overdue! most of the stuff I do goes out to mastering, but when I do master, the SSL buss compressor does the trick for me & maybe a lil mastering eq. Usually does the trick
KIKBAK1.com

ProfessaKaos

27 Nov 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
25 Nov 2017
ProfessaKaos wrote:
24 Nov 2017

Hmm interesting, was mixing a song last night & tried the tubetech on the female lead vox,
It sounded too heavy for her, the RE-2A didn't sound good either, was pleasantly surprised that the EMI-12345 sounded awesome on her.
At the end of the day, will incorporate it in my works somehow. Is it always this fidly?
The EMI-TG12345 is another awesome sounding Channel strip to have in the tool box, love it also :thumbs_up:
I don't find the Tubetech to fidely. I tend to use the TubeTech to different ways, ether at the end of the Lead vocal chain for the extra polish to the lead (minimal processing), or to use it more towards the beginning of my Lead vocal processing chain for its tone/character, just depends. When would I use it at more towards the beginning the lead vocal chain is if I want more of the tone/character of the compressor. When using it earlier in the processing chain of the lead vocal I would hit the gain reduction a little harder with maybe a higher ratio than I would if I had it at the end of the lead vocal chain. Hope this all makes sense.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

TheGodOfRainbows

27 Nov 2017

For a long time, I've felt that something like the Softube Tube Tech eq/comp was something only a bigtime pro needs, and that I probably wouldn't make good use of it. But now that I own it, I realize I shouldn't have waited! It's excellent, and it's easy to use. It's one of those plugins that you can crank knobs and it's hard to make it sound bad. I especially love the high frequency boost that brings out that air and sparkle.

And I like the compressor as well, because it can sound totally transparent, or get more aggressive and 'beefy'. The compressor sounds and behaves unlike any of the other compressors I have, which aren't many (RE-2A, McDSP all three, FET, ). As Loque mentioned, on light settings, it reminds me of the MooTube compressor, but the MooTube doesn't get gritty and breakup.

It's now probably my favorite single effects Re, if I had to choose.

• Information