Underrated REs + audio examples

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2017

Some REs gets mentioned a lot in this forum and for good reason too. But sometimes you get your own favorites that hardly no one ever talks about.

So what's your underrated, not talked about REs that you love? Feel free to share audio examples of your tracks where you've used them.

One of them for me is CRAPRE 2. It's the april 1 joke plugin but I actually find it very usable. I love the warm but heavy distortion. It can really be awesome for heavy drums. It can also tame sharp and irritating sounds. The wobble effect adds some nice randomness too making the sound less sterile.

Here are a couple of examples where I've used CrapRe.

Bass drum and snare. Just a perfect match for the Snakebite synth which is what I've used for all synth sounds in this track.

I wrote this one when Crapre 2 came out. Every sound is processed through Crapre in some way. It's all there, distortion, hiss, pitch wobbles, feedback noise. Even the horrible spring reverb is used in the intro. It's the sound of the reverb switch when you turn it on :D

Goodbye

19 Nov 2017

I picked up the ST1 Speak And Tweak on a whim in some sale a while back and I absolutely love it. It won't be for everyone, but it's surprisingly versatile when coupled with some effects or thrown into a combinator, and is a great thing to bring into the mix when you are stalling or want to throw a curve ball. It's deeply unpredictable in terms of which words, phrases or syllables work and which don't, but if you treat it in a more abstract way and use the letters more as sounds it offers great possibilities. It's also worth remembering that many symbols can also be played/spoken. It's definitely one for the tweaker.
Last edited by Goodbye on 19 Nov 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2017

I think IDT devices as a whole are underrated, there are quite a few out there that are very useful, my fav IDT instrument has to be Kraft, nice, clean and clear interface, find it hard to make a bad sound from :)

Other devices I can't live without are the CV8x4, flowers, Skope, MoPol, CVA-7 and CV switch. Oh, another one that I using more and more is SPEM (and the day it gets Dynamic range display it will move into my number one spot for utilities).

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Poly Madness
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FLVZ

19 Nov 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
19 Nov 2017
I think IDT devices as a whole are underrated, there are quite a few out there that are very useful, my fav IDT instrument has to be Kraft, nice, clean and clear interface, find it hard to make a bad sound from :)

Big fan of Kraft as well. Its probably my favourite IDT, the onboard effects are absolutely killer, really good for mangling sounds and getting creative. Another RE I love is Neutron, its an excellent RE for adding texture or underlying movement. I even use Neutron on drums just for those messy ghost notey vibes) . You won't notice Neutron at work until you bypass it. Also I love the patch randomiser in Vibro, and the masking feature which comes with the patch randomiser; although its lacking a reset patch button (so you have to keep undo-ing if you dont like the results from randomiser and want to go back to original sound).

dvdrtldg

21 Nov 2017

Iridium Distortion synth is a favourite of mine. Same sort of balls-out berserk vibe as Snakebite, if less tweakable

In the FX department, Kitchen Sync is an early RE that nobody paid much attention to. It's a great sound mangler that hard syncs the input to an oscillator with envelope follower, filter, gate and LFO modulation. Not subtle but it's extremely cool for down & dirty type sounds. Also Renoun reverb, another early RE and a great reverb for unnatural signal molestation

Utilities: ReVolt CV processor. Versatile, well designed, excellent UI, sadly no longer available. I also like 4 Phase LFO for its scalable noise function, and all the devices from The Chronologists, I've given up hope of ever figuring them out properly, but for unpredictable CV fuckery they can't be beat, especially Later

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2017

I don't have a audio example but for RE, I like the DYNARAGE Tube Compressor. Not sure if it's "underrated" though.

Loque

21 Nov 2017

aeox wrote:
21 Nov 2017
I don't have a audio example but for RE, I like the DYNARAGE Tube Compressor. Not sure if it's "underrated" though.
I trialed it long ago and liked its saturation. But its a bit expensive for just that imo.
Reason12, Win10

sdst
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2017

the That Music Company REs are very good, i love the Distortion Chain, and are free

I like the three REs

but there are more Underrated REs

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
21 Nov 2017
aeox wrote:
21 Nov 2017
I trialed it long ago and liked its saturation. But its a bit expensive for just that imo.
There is a saturation VST that is 200 dollars :P At least the DYNARAGE has a compressor as well!

Loque

21 Nov 2017

aeox wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Loque wrote:
21 Nov 2017

There is a saturation VST that is 200 dollars :P At least the DYNARAGE has a compressor as well!
Which one? A saturation device for 200 bugs MUST be good :-D
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
21 Nov 2017
aeox wrote:
21 Nov 2017

Which one? A saturation device for 200 bugs MUST be good :-D
Decapitator - Soundtoys :thumbs_up:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Also Renoun reverb, another early RE and a great reverb for unnatural signal molestation
Tried it out because of your comment. It was on sale for 9 bucks and I thought it offered something different so I bought it. I Used it quite a bit in my track for the winter themed song challenge.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 22 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager

22 Dec 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Nov 2017
One of them for me is CRAPRE 2.
The one behind that GUI have some balls of steel.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Nov 2017
I wrote this one when Crapre 2 came out. Every sound is processed through Crapre in some way. It's all there, distortion, hiss, pitch wobbles, feedback noise. Even the horrible spring reverb is used in the intro. It's the sound of the reverb switch when you turn it on :D
Totally agreed.

I use it an awful lot.

motuscott

22 Dec 2017

Anything by omino.com.
They're in all my finished songs.

wait
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Auryn

22 Dec 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Nov 2017
Some REs gets mentioned a lot in this forum and for good reason too. But sometimes you get your own favorites that hardly no one ever talks about.

So what's your underrated, not talked about REs that you love? Feel free to share audio examples of your tracks where you've used them.
On the synth front. Oberon is definitely underappreciated. It might not be as meaty-sounding as the Blamsoft synths (which are also great but I wouldn't call them underrated, relatively speaking :D ) but the concept is great and it can do amazing sounds with a bit of prodding. In fact, I was just finishing the shop text for my soon-to-finally-be-released refill, which hopefully summarizes what's so cool about this synth:

Zvork's Oberon is one of the most forward-thinking synthesizers available for the Reason rack. It's conception of additive synthesis is unique in that it straddles the boundary between harmony and dissonance, and allows the user to navigate freely between sonic order and chaos with only a few key controls. A simple turn of the knob may send you flying from the safe and sane musical universe you know straight into the gaping maws of Tiamat, and get you back again before the wretched beast can even start salivating! Indeed, equipped with this synth, one does just walk into Mordor - and out again, without so much as taking an arrow to the knee.

Now, easy as though this synthesizer may make it, many would deem it ill-advised to so freely invite the forces of entropy into any musical endeavour of repute. But because we're all life-long Cthulhu worshipers at Quixotic Sound Design anyway, we thought we'd give it a shot, and we've come up with a collection of patches which will awaken your musical imagination, even as it gleefully gnaws at your sanity...

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Nov 2017
One of them for me is CRAPRE 2. It's the april 1 joke plugin but I actually find it very usable. I love the warm but heavy distortion. It can really be awesome for heavy drums. It can also tame sharp and irritating sounds. The wobble effect adds some nice randomness too making the sound less sterile.
It's funny you should mention the randomness making things less sterile. A lot of what makes Oberon special is that it includes a number of weird, inharmonic wavetables that can give semi-random texture and movement to the spectrum of a "sterile" sawtooth or square. You can control the amount of random dissonance very precisely with the harmonize parameter.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Nirude

28 Dec 2017

Goodbye wrote:
19 Nov 2017
I picked up the ST1 Speak And Tweak ....
I love it. Use it a lot in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpUN-YF-p6M
3d man.

• Information