TM-1 Trigger Multiplexer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Galaxy

10 Nov 2017

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ltiplexer/

TM-1 Trigger Multiplexer allows you to connect multi-gate rack sequencers like Redrum, Propulsion, Euclid, Elementary and more, to instruments that only have the standard Gate and Note CV input pair. This opens up a whole new palette of drum instruments and sounds to use: NN-XT, Combinators and VSTs.

Product details
Using a technology called multiplexing, TM-1 converts 16 separate gate CV signals into the standard Gate and Note CV pair used by most instruments in Reason. It comes packed with pre-routed Combinator patches for all popular rack sequencers, and a variety of key mapping patches. All ready to use your rack sequencer with drum sounds from NN-XT, Combinator or VSTs!

Each channel has a name label, a note setting, and mute/solo buttons. There is a MIDI learn mode for the note setting, and it can even be automated and Remote-controlled. An Audition feature sends triggers when the note setting is changed, making it easy to find the right note. The mute and solo states are stored in the patch, which opens up creative possibilities for live use.

Besides its main functionality, TM-1 can also be used to write rack sequencer patterns into Note Clips in Reason’s sequencer. There is info on how to do this in the TM-1 User Guide.

Features
Multiplexing of 16 gate CV signals to Note and Gate CV
Converts all inputs signals to 10ms triggers
Pre-routed Combi patches for all popular rack sequencers
Patches with different key mappings
Channel name labels
MIDI learn mode for note settings
Audition of note setting (can be switched off)
Mute and Solo for all channels
Clear Mute and Solo buttons
Enable Outputs setting
Full automation support
Can be used to write sequencer patterns into Note Clips

Looks interesting and is on introductory price ATM.

mataya

10 Nov 2017

Oh yeah! Let's pull out Battery now! Great stuff. Thanks.

M

Galaxy

10 Nov 2017

mataya wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Oh yeah! Let's pull out Battery now! Great stuff. Thanks.

M
Dude, you'd love this thing based on your videos! More Detroit Dub here we come :P. Post a video of your setup, be interesting to see how you use this thing.

bik44

10 Nov 2017

Thanks a lot!!! :)

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

chimp_spanner

10 Nov 2017

Thank you thank you!

Fraxis

10 Nov 2017

Finally an all-in-one version of that horribly complicated Combinator I created to do the same thing last year. Bravo!

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Nov 2017

Nice one!

devilfish

10 Nov 2017

Amazing!! Very very welcome !! Thank you !!

bpmorton

10 Nov 2017

Insta-bought. This works with A-list drummers wonderfully.

dvdrtldg

10 Nov 2017

Robotic Bean with another "buy it now and figure it out later coz it's Robotic Bean so it'll be awesome" device

bpmorton

10 Nov 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Robotic Bean with another "buy it now and figure it out later coz it's Robotic Bean so it'll be awesome" device
it's so simple to use there's nothing to figure out.

dvdrtldg

10 Nov 2017

bpmorton wrote:
10 Nov 2017
dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Yeah I can see that. BTW my comment wasn't meant to be snarky or sarcastic - every RB RE is an insta-buy for me

bpmorton

10 Nov 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Nov 2017
bpmorton wrote:
10 Nov 2017

Yeah I can see that. BTW my comment wasn't meant to be snarky or sarcastic - every RB RE is an insta-buy for me
no snarkiness taken! Rock on, Dude!

nikolafeve

10 Nov 2017

i dont really get it. you can do the same thing with the free rack extension 'MoPol", right?
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

AttenuationHz

10 Nov 2017

nikolafeve wrote:
10 Nov 2017
i dont really get it. you can do the same thing with the free rack extension 'MoPol", right?
Can you mute/solo on MoPol?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

QVprod

10 Nov 2017

Excellent RE! So simple yet so crucial for step sequencer users
nikolafeve wrote:
10 Nov 2017
No you can't, or rather not by itself. TM-1 allows you to assign note values to gate CV signals. MoPol just combines note and gate signals. Step sequencers like ReDrum don't send note CV, only gate output. MoPol would require another device (or devices) to convert the gate CV into note CV to do what TM-1 does. This eliminates the need for complex routing and gets it done with one device.

steff3

11 Nov 2017

ok, not bad

what will TM-2 (as its name is TM-1) include?

what would be nice ?
- multiple outputs and routing to ouputs (RDK is splitted to multiple NNXTs ... )
- more the one note assignment which one can switch via CV input ( for articulations mapped to different keys)
- combine first and second request if those artuculations are in different devices

(of course one can build that but having it would be more convenient)

but yes, great time saver ....
thx

QVprod

11 Nov 2017

steff3 wrote:
11 Nov 2017
what would be nice ?
- multiple outputs and routing to ouputs (RDK is splitted to multiple NNXTs ... )
- more the one note assignment which one can switch via CV input ( for articulations mapped to different keys)
- combine first and second request if those artuculations are in different devices
You don't need multiple outputs to route to multiple NNXTs for RDK. You would route the TM-1 to the combinator and that would trigger all of the NNXTs.

2nd one is already doable with TM-1 via automation. From the shop page:
There is a MIDI learn mode for the note setting, and it can even be automated and Remote-controlled.

buddard
RE Developer

11 Nov 2017

nikolafeve wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Yes and no.

While it's true that MoPol and CV8X4 can be used together to achieve similar results, there are some important differences:

MoPol is limited to 8 channels, while TM-1 has 16.

They also handle the gates differently:
MoPol has three modes: Copy 1st channel, release when all gates are released, or release when any gate is released.
TM-1 converts all gates to 10ms triggers, and also auto-releases if the same note is triggered twice rapidly in succession.
This means that TM-1 guarantees that quick ratchets/repeats always go through, while this is not always the case for the MoPol combo.
On the other hand, this also means that TM-1 is not well suited when gate lengths matter.

So in short, I would use MoPol for playing chords etc, and TM-1 for rhythmic stuff.

Voyager

11 Nov 2017

I though that when connecting a kong to a redrum the redrum paramters would be parametrable but it isn't the case :(

Do a such Re exist ?

steff3

11 Nov 2017

QVprod wrote:
11 Nov 2017
steff3 wrote:
11 Nov 2017
what would be nice ?
You don't need multiple outputs to route to multiple NNXTs for RDK. You would route the TM-1 to the combinator and that would trigger all of the NNXTs.

2nd one is already doable with TM-1 via automation. From the shop page:
There is a MIDI learn mode for the note setting, and it can even be automated and Remote-controlled.
thanks. as I said - this can all be done (all the functionality of TM-1 can be achieved with a hand full of CV-REs ... ) it is all about convenience, speed and flexible routing.

automating the note within the whole space of midi notes is not as convenient as within a space of 4-8 discrete preselected notes. and I would like to use one of the CV-lanes in propulsion (which has a resolution of 64 or only evens in the number space from 0-127 or so) - can all be done already - no need for TM-1 - but TM-1 saves a lot of time and makes it more fun .

would be great to have such features ... just for speed, better workflow and convenience ...

best

AttenuationHz

11 Nov 2017

Voyager wrote:
11 Nov 2017
I though that when connecting a kong to a redrum the redrum paramters would be parametrable but it isn't the case :(

Do a such Re exist ?
What? :eh:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Voyager

11 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
11 Nov 2017
Voyager wrote:
11 Nov 2017

Do a such Re exist ?
:D

I mean when using redrum sequencer combined with kong kits samples and then be able to use directly redrum parameters like volume, lenght of sample, velocity, pan etc.. Right now TM-1 just use redrum just a sequencer and therefore the redrum parameters aren't usable.

buddard
RE Developer

11 Nov 2017

Voyager wrote:
11 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
11 Nov 2017

I mean when using redrum sequencer combined with kong kits samples and then be able to use directly redrum parameters like volume, lenght of sample, velocity, pan etc.. Right now TM-1 just use redrum just a sequencer and therefore the redrum parameters aren't usable.
First of all, if you want to control Kong kits using Redrum (or any other gate sequencer), you actually don't need TM-1 since you can just connect Redrum's separate trigger outputs directly to Kong's separate trigger inputs. TM-1 is needed only for instruments that require a single Gate/Note pair, for example NN-XT/NN-19, Combinators and VSTs.

Note that sound parameters such as sample length and pan are never carried over via CV triggers (independent of which method you're using) since those parameters are part of Redrum's sample players, not its sequencer. The triggers only tell "when" and "how hard". So if you need to modify sound parameters on Kong you have to automate them directly on Kong, or use its modulation CV input.

Velocity information should always be accurately transmitted via CV, both when wiring directly and when using TM-1.

AttenuationHz

12 Nov 2017

Voyager wrote:
11 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
11 Nov 2017

Okay its like this. A gate signal is just like a light switch the off signal tells it to turn off so you have no sound (not triggering sound), the on signal tells it to turn on so you have sound (triggers the sound). You could think of it like a dimmer switch for a light also both CV (note) and CV (gate) have the same info Control Voltage. The velocity of the gate signal (that is how hard/soft you would press a key on a piano) can be controlled using the velocity on a Matrix device. Think of the dimmer switch as being the velocity and just beside the dimmer on the wall is the on/off switch controlling the (sound)/ Light source on/off. If with one hand you control how bright the light is going to be and the other the on/off signal for the light.

The same info is on any CV signal (be it LFO, Envelope, Gate or Note) 0 Volts to 1 Volt. Imaging the dimmer switch is 0 off no light and 1 full light. As you move the knob the intensity of the light increases/decreases. It is more or less the same with an LFO/Envelope signal except the LFO loops forever and in most cases the envelope is triggered when the gate is on.

A CV signal does not carry the info related to pan or whatever other settings you have on a Kong only the on/off. A gate is always off until you turn it on!

Hope that makes sense. :)

• Information