Serial Parallel Effects Mixer is on sale !

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
botnotbot

02 Jun 2018

By the way, I just feel the need to say that I really appreciate SPEM. It was one of my first REs and it still keeps coming in handy.

Thanks, Bcase / fanatek!

fanatek
RE Developer

02 Nov 2018

Hi,

The new version 1.2 is in the shop and it is a big but free update !!

Here are the new features :
  • channels sequence selection in serial mode : yes you can change channels order without unplug/plug cables !
  • new RMS calculation with three time windows 0.4 s, 3 s, 10 s
  • dynamic range metering
  • hold display to show max value
  • three mixer modes : linear, constant power and gentle taper (thanks Selig ;) )
But it does not come alone, now it has a companion : xEM ;)
front.png
front.png (63.34 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
It adds stereo metering and labels to SPEM.
frontSPEM.png
frontSPEM.png (146.68 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
When folded, only labels
front_foldedSPEM.png
front_foldedSPEM.png (111.63 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
xEM is free during 1 week !!
and SPEM is in sale to celebrate the xEM introduction so you can get both at a good price :puf_bigsmile:

I hope you will enjoy this new version and its new companion.
http://www.bcase.fr - Orleans FR - Ableton Live 11 Suite, Reason 11 Suite, Nektar P4

MannequinRaces

02 Nov 2018

Cool. Think it’s time to try this out. Nice work!

Bumbum

03 Nov 2018

fanatek wrote:
02 Nov 2018

• channels sequence selection in serial mode : yes you can change channels order without unplug/plug cables !
i have never bought anything more faster after reading features :D

so, thank you for this.

MannequinRaces

03 Nov 2018

Bumbum wrote:
03 Nov 2018
fanatek wrote:
02 Nov 2018

so, thank you for this.
Is this feature automatable?

valankar

03 Nov 2018

Would it be possible for SPEM to report latency to Reason? I come across a lot of phasing issues and have had to use VMG-01 to find out SPEM's latency and compensate on the mixer channel.

antic604

03 Nov 2018

Wow, that's really lovely!!! <3 Thanks! :)

Bumbum

03 Nov 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
03 Nov 2018
Bumbum wrote:
03 Nov 2018

so, thank you for this.
Yes,via combinator and via automation lane

MannequinRaces

04 Nov 2018

Bumbum wrote:
03 Nov 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
03 Nov 2018

Yes,via combinator and via automation lane
Awesome! Thanks!

fanatek
RE Developer

05 Nov 2018

Hi,

Thanks all for your positive feedback !

valankar : there is a big issue in Reason : it seems that a rack extension cannot have different latencies on different audio outputs.

SPEM has different latencies (you can get them in the user manual) and they are already reported to Reason.
In serial mode : 0 sample (thru, channel 1), 64 samples (channel 2), 128 samples (channel 3), 192 samples (channel 4), 256 samples (main output).
In parallel mode : 0 sample (thru, channel 1 to 4), 256 samples (main output).

This is those latencies that SPEM reports to Reason (because Reason allows to define different latencies).
But Reason doesn't take care of them and takes only the first described, so 0 !! :evil:

I've chosen to tell the right values to Reason because I expect one day Reason will understand them.

I'm currently asking the developer support to see if I could do something else to solve this, and will come back to tell you what next.
http://www.bcase.fr - Orleans FR - Ableton Live 11 Suite, Reason 11 Suite, Nektar P4

valankar

08 Nov 2018

Thanks. Great tool otherwise once I get everything compensated. It would be good if you can put those sample latency numbers as text on the back of the device for good reference.

Re8et
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2018

I got it already, saves big time!
One thing I was trying to understand is if my readings are correct.
Same value for both parallel and serial mode.
Maybe I'm introducing some sort of feedback? I am not sure I did the cabling right.
Should not it be zero?
spem 256 delay front.JPG
spem 256 delay front.JPG (42.84 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
spem 256 back.JPG
spem 256 back.JPG (64.5 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
regards.

Re8et
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2018

fanatek wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Hi,

Thanks all for your positive feedback !

valankar : there is a big issue in Reason : it seems that a rack extension cannot have different latencies on different audio outputs.

SPEM has different latencies (you can get them in the user manual) and they are already reported to Reason.
In serial mode : 0 sample (thru, channel 1), 64 samples (channel 2), 128 samples (channel 3), 192 samples (channel 4), 256 samples (main output).

This is those latencies that SPEM reports to Reason (because Reason allows to define different latencies).
But Reason doesn't take care of them and takes only the first described, so 0 !! :evil:

I've chosen to tell the right values to Reason because I expect one day Reason will understand them.

I'm currently asking the developer support to see if I could do something else to solve this, and will come back to tell you what next.
Oh, sorry, I did not see this :o

valankar

10 Nov 2018

fanatek wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Something I'm a bit confused about. Let's say I do a parallel mixer channel without SPEM. If the parallel channel has a plugin that reports latency but doesn't change the sound (say a linear phase EQ with no eq settings), and I phase invert that channel, then there is no sound output, which is expected.

If I do the same with SPEM: set parallel mode, in the first channel just route the send to the return, in the second channel put the same linear phase EQ plugin, and phase invert the second channel. I still hear output. I have to put a VMG-01 on channel 1 with the delay set to the latency of the EQ plugin on channel 2 to make it cancel out.

Is that right?

fanatek
RE Developer

16 Nov 2018

If I do the same with SPEM: set parallel mode, in the first channel just route the send to the return, in the second channel put the same linear phase EQ plugin, and phase invert the second channel. I still hear output. I have to put a VMG-01 on channel 1 with the delay set to the latency of the EQ plugin on channel 2 to make it cancel out.

Is that right?
Yes, you're right, and there is no way in Reason to let SPEM know the latency of your device (except having a learn function like in VMG-01).

Since my last post here, I've got the answer from Reason developer support, and today, a rack extension can't have multiple latencies, the first you write in parameters is the first Reason gets.

I think I'm going to change my first idea (wait for it to work in Reason) and put the main output latency as default latency of SPEM.
This way, it will work almost like most of people want because this is the "normal" use of SPEM to plug its main output to the track mixer.

And I also will take a look to see if I can write the latencies on the back panel. ;)

Bumbum

15 May 2022

i've had forgotten how great SPEM is! thank you so much. Really handy tool when you just want to experiment signal chains and play around

• Information