Serial Parallel Effects Mixer is on sale !

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
fanatek
RE Developer

10 Nov 2017

Black Friday is already here !

Serial Parallel Effects Mixer is only 19$/19€ until 1st December.

Enjoy !
http://www.bcase.fr - Orleans FR - Ableton Live 11 Suite, Reason 11 Suite, Nektar P4

fanatek
RE Developer

27 Nov 2017

Last week to get SPEM at a lower price !!
The sale ends December 1st.

Don't miss it !
http://www.bcase.fr - Orleans FR - Ableton Live 11 Suite, Reason 11 Suite, Nektar P4

fanatek
RE Developer

03 May 2018

"En Mai, fais ce qu'il te plait* " Sale until 31st May !

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... cts-mixer/

*French proverb "In May, do what you like"

Voyager

03 May 2018

fanatek wrote:
03 May 2018

"En Mai, fais ce qu'il te plait* "

Mai tout à fait ! :puf_bigsmile:

Do built-in Reason compensation delay work with Spem ?

Voyager

25 May 2018

So i just decided to buy this device and there are few things that didn't function as i would have expect.

When used in parallel mode and the knob in fully wet i notice that the more i lift up the channel 1 volume then the more the dry signal get weaker and disapear at some point.
I though those channel would act just like if i was using parallel channels with the ssl, which means that the volume of each channel doesn't interfer with the dry signal so i can just blend the amount of wet signal i want without having the dry getting weaker the more i lift up the wet signal.

Fanatek, i don't know if i'm doing something wrong or if this work as intended but i'd like you to shed me some light there.

Thanks

ps : also notice that the channels pan interfer with the dry signal as well...is that normal ?

fanatek
RE Developer

25 May 2018

Sorry Voyager, I don't understand what you mean.
How can you have a dry signal with the mix knob set to full wet ?

The best way to understand how it works is to refer to the user manual.
There is a graph page 6 that shows you the audio path in parallel mode.

Let me know if it helps.

Voyager

25 May 2018

That's the reason why i posted here, how is that possible ? :)

I'm just using the same routings you use in the parallel video you made. For instance if i have only one effect on channel 1 and set the knob fully wet and i put the channel 1 volume on minimum, then i can't hear the dry signal at all.

edit : ok, i made further tests and as simple as it looks it start to confuse me, there is something i don't get.

At first i though that the dry/wet knob allow you to blend how much of the wet signal ONLY you want over the dry and without making the dry disapear the more you go wet.

Here what happens is that if you set it fully wet you get only the wet signal and on dry only the dry..to get both dry and wet signal the only way is to set it at 50% ?

aeox
Competition Winner

25 May 2018

Voyager wrote:
25 May 2018
to get both dry and wet signal the only way is to set it at 50% ?
Yep!

As far as I know, this is how all dry/wet works.

Voyager

25 May 2018

aeox wrote:
25 May 2018

Yep!

As far as I know, this is how all dry/wet works.

It's a bit confusing because first, dry/wet initial position is fully wet..if so when ctrl+click it should return to 50%. Also once at 50% both signal output decrease so you have to enable d+w knob and then lift up the output.

According to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9pdhhv96Xo he seems to use it as parallel with the knob fully wet, not at 50%. Except if he wanted to use only the wet signal only but then i don't see the point to do so since parallel processing purpose is to keep the dry signal clean and parallel process with effects.

fanatek
RE Developer

25 May 2018

Perhaps I've better understood what you mean when you're talking about SSL.
The SPEM channels is not a "sent to effects" SSL like.
It does not sent the signal while keeping the dry one and add the wet with the dry (I dislike this behaviour because you can't have a full wet signal).

You should read the page 6 of the manual ;)
I try to explain :
The main input signal is splitted into each channel and can be plugged into an effect with the channel output audio connectors.
The output signal of a channel goes to the effect and returned back to the input of this channel. This signal is fully wet (except if you use the mix button of the effect).
And so on for each channel.
At the end, all the 4 channels input signal are summed.
Then this sum comes to the mixer.
It takes the summed channels signal and add it to the dry main input with a "1-mix%" factor (so dry * 0% if full wet)
main output signal = (ch1+ch2+ch3+ch4) * mix + dry * (1-mix)
Not sure the formula helps :puf_bigsmile:

Is it clearer for you ?

challism

27 May 2018

I have this device, and I love it. It does what used to take me a long ass time wiring different devices together. Nice one!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2018

fanatek wrote:Perhaps I've better understood what you mean when you're talking about SSL.
The SPEM channels is not a "sent to effects" SSL like.
It does not sent the signal while keeping the dry one and add the wet with the dry (I dislike this behaviour because you can't have a full wet signal).
Hey, cool device! Just want to clear up that you CAN have full wet signal in SSL with both Sends or Parallel Channels.

With sends you use “pre fader” mode. With Parallel Channels you can mute or pull down the “dry” fader leaving 100% wet.

What I think would be handy is an optional dry/wet curve that did NOT lower the level of both signals at 50%, something that makes it difficult to use a wet/dry control for me because I take so much time to get my dry level just right, only to have to compensate after adjusting a dry/wet control - ugg!

To avoid this you can create an optional curve on the dry/wet (blend) control that leaves the levels @ 100% over the first 50% of travel in both directions.

Here's an illustration of a linear crossfade, an exponential crossfade, and the optional crossfade type I mention above:
Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 8.04.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 8.04.30 AM.png (154.25 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
BTW, this optional curve is like "Gentle Taper" with the free Groovy Melon Crossfader if you want a way to check out this type of dry/wet control in practice.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

fanatek
RE Developer

28 May 2018

Hi Selig,

Thank you for your explanation for SSL.
I didn't know how the pre-fader works (after so many years using Reason, my bad...). Never too late to learn.
Anyway, this is not my usual workflow, maybe that the reason why I missed it.

In some development versions I had implemented the exp mix method, but didn't keep it. Why ? I can't remember...
I will check the Opt option in the next version I'm working on.

Not in relation with SPEM, but it is an honor that you have taken a look on my Re, I'm a big fan of yours and got most ;)

Voyager

28 May 2018

Right now since at 50% or any other value out of 100% the dry and wet output is decreased, the thing i do is muting my effects, setting my dry/wet level where i want then bypass and see where my peak level is at and then i disable bypass and compensate by lifting up the output volume with the d+w function enabled and finally unmuting my effects.

Doing so if you leave your dry/wet at a fixed value it's ok, but once you want to further re-blend then the overall process and to be redo again.

That's were comes my confusion and my initial thought were that the dry/blend would function more as an optional curve, just make more sense to me. So the signal should start increasing from 0% to 50% and decreasing only from the 50%.

If it's not possible anymore to change the behavior of the dry/wet then it would be nice to have a curve button that we could use just something like below.

Something else i'd like to see is to have a peak/rms hold/reset function, i think it would be a useful addition.

fanatek
RE Developer

28 May 2018

I will implement the crossfade choice if I can add a small button with a menu.
I'm currently working on the next version (channels reordering in serial mode...) so you have to be patient.

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2018

fanatek wrote:I will implement the crossfade choice if I can add a small button with a menu.
I'm currently working on the next version (channels reordering in serial mode...) so you have to be patient.
Good to hear. Just to be clear maybe a better way to describe the optional curve would be that going from 0-50% is exactly like increasing a send from 0-100%. The result is the dry level stays the same as the effect increases.

Then from 50-100% on the control, the send stays at 100% as the dry level decreases from 100-0%.

IMO this would increase the usability and flexibility of the device, because I feel BOTH approaches have their place. :)

Selig Audio, LLC

fanatek
RE Developer

28 May 2018

selig wrote:
28 May 2018
going from 0-50% is exactly like increasing a send from 0-100%. The result is the dry level stays the same as the effect increases.
Then from 50-100% on the control, the send stays at 100% as the dry level decreases from 100-0%.
That what I've understood with the curve and with your previous post, not too hard to code ;)
Thanks a lot Selig.

Ostermilk

28 May 2018

fanatek wrote:
28 May 2018
selig wrote:
28 May 2018
going from 0-50% is exactly like increasing a send from 0-100%. The result is the dry level stays the same as the effect increases.
That what I've understood with the curve and with your previous post, not too hard to code ;)
Thanks a lot Selig.
I really like this well-concieved device already but having an optional Groovy Melon style "Gentle Taper' mix method will add a ton of usefulness.

An insightful nudge from Selig there, nice to see RE devs offering mutual encouragement.

I look forward to that update.. :thumbs_up:

Voyager

28 May 2018

Something else, seems i can't found any use of the Pre function here. I mean even if the Pre is enabled it doesn't change on the outputs. Can someone give me an example of in which condition they using Pre ?

Loque

28 May 2018

Voyager wrote:
28 May 2018
Something else, seems i can't found any use of the Pre function here. I mean even if the Pre is enabled it doesn't change on the outputs. Can someone give me an example of in which condition they using Pre ?
I guess this is most useful with amps, saturation and other distortion fx. I often use gain staging for saturation, lowering the gain before it goes into the fx.
Last edited by Loque on 28 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

fanatek
RE Developer

28 May 2018

Because a lot of effects have a volume range where they work better, sometimes you need to adjust volume BEFORE effect, that the Pre option.

Voyager

28 May 2018

fanatek wrote:
28 May 2018

sometimes you need to adjust volume BEFORE effect, that the Pre option.

Which volume ? dry ? I'm use it in parallel and there is no dry signal going through the channels, only wet. When i have Pre enabled i see no difference.

fanatek
RE Developer

28 May 2018

You adjust the channel volume. With Pre enabled then you will adjust the channel output, with Pre disabled, you will adjust the channel input.

Voyager

28 May 2018

fanatek wrote:
28 May 2018

You adjust the channel volume. With Pre enabled then you will adjust the channel output, with Pre disabled, you will adjust the channel input.

So why when i set Pre i'm still able to blend volume from the channel effet ? Isn't supposed the effect to come after the volume knob on Pre ?

challism

30 May 2018

selig wrote:
28 May 2018
fanatek wrote:I will implement the crossfade choice if I can add a small button with a menu.
Good to hear. Just to be clear maybe a better way to describe the optional curve would be that going from 0-50% is exactly like increasing a send from 0-100%. The result is the dry level stays the same as the effect increases.

IMO this would increase the usability and flexibility of the device, because I feel BOTH approaches have their place. :)

Giles, you are a wealth of information. So happy to have you on the forum with us. :) Cheers, mate!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information