Klang, Pangea, Humana - Anyone using them?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

12 Nov 2017

Puniho wrote:
12 Nov 2017
Lets face it, its all cheese! :D
You make a compelling point. And god knows I enjoy cheese

But I dunno, synth strings to me sound cool and retro, while sampled voice just rubs me up the wrong way. I had a girlfriend in the 90s who was heavily into Enya, maybe that did it for me

Puniho

13 Nov 2017

Retro synth strings are like a mature seasoned blue vein, whereas Enya is like one of those thin slices of yellowish uniformly textured and homoginised, vaguely edible protein.

I can eat a slice if i'm hungry enough. But not the whole packet.

RandyEspoda

18 Nov 2017

I did give them a fair chance, and tried them all. Though Pangea and Klang are imo not that interesting and rarely used in my rack, I do use Humana quite often.
Combined with stutter edit (for example) you can create some cool and unique glitchyness.
But also for other uses it does offer quite a lot.

Some have complained that Humana is nothing more than a small percentage of an already existing sound library, namely the SoundIron libraries Mars and Venus. And the truth is Humana is exactly that, a small take from that huge but very costly sound library.

But although just a very small part of it, the quality is undeniable and I rather have this small take from the pot for a small price than having to hand out 800 bucks for the whole thing, so imo it's a very good deal we're getting here with just Humana on top of Europa and Grain.

And although I rarely use Klang and Pangea, I can relate to a lot of ppl that do have various uses for them.
Then there's radical piano which is nothing but an added RE from the shop, but if you're like me and didn't already have it, it's once more an added bonus, whereas those that did have it already it would logically be a disappointment...resulting in kind of a divided camp, so that's where we are now.

Goodbye

18 Nov 2017

I'm using Klang as a doorstop, Pangea as a bird box and Humana is just the right size to hold my collection of beer bottle tops.

QVprod

18 Nov 2017

If it hasn't been mentioned, you may like Humana more if you use the modwheel. The other two have their uses as well.

EnochLight

18 Nov 2017

I just picked up the crossgrade of full Kontakt 5 and discovered, much to my surprise, that most of the default library is pretty unremarkable. There's one or two instruments in the Reeds and Bagpipes that are pretty sweet, but honestly Klang, Pangea, & Humana add a bit more value to Reason in that "natural/world instrument" category, IMHO.

Now Kontakt 3rd party libraries on the other hand... :puf_bigsmile: :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Biolumin3sc3nt

18 Nov 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
12 Nov 2017
Puniho wrote:
12 Nov 2017
Lets face it, its all cheese! :D
You make a compelling point. And god knows I enjoy cheese

But I dunno, synth strings to me sound cool and retro, while sampled voice just rubs me up the wrong way. I had a girlfriend in the 90s who was heavily into Enya, maybe that did it for me
Haha, I think We dated the same girl in the 90's... or at least her Sister!

esselfortium

18 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
18 Nov 2017
I just picked up the crossgrade of full Kontakt 5 and discovered, much to my surprise, that most of the default library is pretty unremarkable. There's one or two instruments in the Reeds and Bagpipes that are pretty sweet, but honestly Klang, Pangea, & Humana add a bit more value to Reason in that "natural/world instrument" category, IMHO.

Agreed. While there are still some gaps to fill, the factory content that comes bundled with Reason is honestly pretty damn good nowadays, and the Soundiron libraries helped quite a bit with that.

Kontakt's built-in instruments seemed impressive to me at first glance, but there's not really much to them when compared to what I already have. I was especially disappointed to realize that all the articulations available for Kontakt's built-in world instruments were just a pointless script that plays two or three midi notes for you in sequence, rather than the kind of sampled articulations that bring so many third-party Kontakt libraries to life. Considering what Kontakt 5 normally sells for, the content you actually get for that price is a bit of an insult IMO -- seems like someone at NI realized that they could skate by on the strengths of all the third-party libraries that require the full version to run.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

moneykube

18 Nov 2017

don't care for klang... like humana... yet to check the other
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

robthompson

18 Nov 2017

Those three aren't things I'll use every day, but when I need a particular sound then yes, I'll certainly fire them up if they fit the bill.

I've used Humana already, and found it perfectly fine if it doesn't have too much untreated focus. No problem. Pangea has some stuff I like, but my choice of patches is always dictated by the nature of the project, and not the other way around.

EnochLight

18 Nov 2017

esselfortium wrote:
18 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
18 Nov 2017

Agreed. While there are still some gaps to fill, the factory content that comes bundled with Reason is honestly pretty damn good nowadays, and the Soundiron libraries helped quite a bit with that.
Careful - we'll be labelled as "eager cheer leaders" for Reason. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

etyrnal

18 Nov 2017

How frequently do you think you can work Humana into compositions?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

kuhliloach

18 Nov 2017

Klang sounds not really ready-to-use but calls out for the user to produce the sounds properly. I like and dislike this kind of rawness. It seems this is Props way of asking people to develop Refills. Being full of overtones and even some painful frequencies is both a blessing and a curse. You can't create information that isn't there, but you can cut it. I like a more musical less buzzy Kalimba sound.

altron

21 Nov 2017

etyrnal wrote:
08 Nov 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:So I know these 3 instruments have gotten completely overshadowed by Europa and Grain. Some people seemed to hate them even before they were out, mostly people who were dissapointed by the "content" upgrade. They just seemed to hate the whole concept of these instruments. Fair enough, but has anyone here given them a fair chance yet? Or have you been to busy playing around with the new synths instead?

Do you like them? Does anyone here have any music where you've used them? Would be fun to hear some examples of how people are using them. Please share.
They are super lame. Nothing impressive in there. It's like a collection of what, 20 or 30 samples? It's not even what you would expect from a decent quality refill for a mediocre sampler.

+1!
Utter filler crap to give the impression that reason 10 is bigger. Except for perhaps the Anklungs, all sounds are useless.
Trap is where music goes to die.

SA Studio

22 Nov 2017

Ixus wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Here's a work in progress where im using Humana and Pangea. Singing will be added later :)

Pangea on the folky bits and its pretty easy to hear where Humana is used :)

It's quite alright, easy to use and start making music.
I might not be a fan of the new devices, but I'm a real big fan of great musicianship :puf_bigsmile:

This is very good and it's nice to hear Reason used so well. :thumbs_up: Great work :reason: :adapted:

SA Studio

22 Nov 2017

etyrnal wrote:
10 Nov 2017
sublunar wrote:I'm absolutely certain I will never use Humana. Mainly because of my hatred for vocal samples in any song, ever. I hate vocal samples utterly and completely. Any time I'm listening to an "instumental" track and there's even the slightest vocal samples in it, I skip the track. Can't stand to listen to them. But that's nothing specific to Humana as an instrument.

Klang and Pangea are not as terrible as people say. I never had the Soundiron samples and never would have bought them, so getting free instruments that add sounds I never would have sought out myself is not something to complain about. Instead, I'm happy to receive them as a bonus. I would have bought v10 with or without them. But I can certainly see running them through some effects and making weird shit. I like weird shit and I think these will do fine.

When I only have sounds that I purposely sought out/created, my palette tends to get somewhat ..stale. When I use sounds outside of my usual zone of interest, then the results often end up more exciting than otherwise. So I'm happy to have them and I will find a use for them. Either raw or heavily modified by effects.
I don't think it's so much about haven't gotten free sounds and some free mediocre devices, I think it's more about the fact that propellerhead put their energy into including some very lame devices, instead of having put that energy into many of the numerous improvements that people have been begging for for years. In some ways kind of a cop-out of an upgrade.

Well, it's this entirely. Let's admit it, Reason for no reason at all gets more CPU intensive from version to version. Not sure what they're smoking, but literally every other DAW programmer is offering improved versions every new release = Not more troublesome versions. The writing is crystal clear on the wall = they do not pay money on man-hours between versions for code optimizations.

There was a loss in performance from 8 to 9 when they just added new color schemes and a few new players. You may want to sit and argue "No, there was not any performance decrease between version 8 and 9...."

Flip that question to yourself = Was there any performance INCREASE between version 8 and 9? No. If anything in the galaxy, efficiency wasn't a new perk or feature from version 8 to 9 nor did 9 see any form of improved performance. If anything, Reason 9 only saw increased CPU/DSP usage and a lower ceiling.

Of course I still use Reason all the time. Of course I still encourage people to check it out. On the same hardware and CPU, someone can use Reaper and see track counts and VST instances as high as 5 times more than Reason. Does me saying this mean I don't like Reason as much as you do? Absolutely not. That would be very, very hard :puf_smile: I love Reason.

To not be absolutely gobsmacked why there hasnt been extreme efficiency and optimizations overhauls at this point in 2017 is to truly have ones head in the sand. Instead, we got those 3 devices, 2 synths which are the saving grace of the update, and a few gigs of loops.

I'm not very impressed in the latest update, sadly :(

kitekrazy

22 Nov 2017

They are in the dark ages on many things. There is no customization in set up where you can put their sounds on a different drive. Other DAWs allow this. The complete package of Studio One is 19GB but you can put all of that on a different drive. Sonar has a whole section devoted to different folders.

Reason 10 was geared to market to less advanced users and new comers. New stuff is not impressive to advance users looking for better workflow.

I'm not really disappointed with the update. As for upgrades Reason is still one of the more affordable.

Re8et
Competition Winner

01 Dec 2017

Glockenspiel sounds very natural to my ear, so I would not trash the whole as useless. Also other instrument
I tend to like is the Traveller organ and the Piano probably is my favourite just because it's a piano and every piano instrument with its own character is a worth addition.
Struck Natural piano sounds great.

Re8et
Competition Winner

01 Dec 2017

etyrnal wrote:
18 Nov 2017
How frequently do you think you can work Humana into compositions?

If I were to make trap, certainly none of the "aaaaaah", I kinda think some "hey" or "Oh" "Yes" to be more musical...
or some brazilian "bhaaa dooo bap' not ahhhhh unless its caribbean or I got to make some poetrol stuff once every ten year can be a good approximation :D

Nielsen

02 Dec 2017

There are some nice samples spread across all three devices, but so far I've found no use other than just playing around with them every now and then. Truth is there's little purpose for these samples in the electronic soundscapes I usually aim for. That's not to say I don't use choirs from time to time, but perhaps I find the Humana samples a little too pure for my sound. Arguably some handy sounds for those rare occasions, so I see no reason to not keep these instruments in close proximity. In my humble opinion, Klang, Pangea and Humana are nice added bonuses alongside Europa, Grain and Radical Piano (which I did not previously own). I do, however, agree with the sentiment that Propellerhead preferably shouldn't release too many instruments based on existing sample banks. I do like Layers a lot though.

Tumble

02 Dec 2017

I don't, but I imagine that people who make background music for pet videos will find them useful.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2018

Alright so I've tried them out now for a while and I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't be using them too much. I was gonna write a 3 track EP with them but I got bored by them pretty quickly so today I decided to end that project.
I did write one track using only these 3 instruments though. Here it is.

I thought that I would be more positive about them after using them for a while. I agree that these instruments could easy have been lumped together as one. Having them seperated as different units would make more sense if they each contained more instruments and sounds.
To be really useful all instruments could have more sample variations since these are supposed to sound more realistic.
The samples themselves are alright but like I said there's so few of them. Most sounds I know I'll never use.
Klang and Pangea were the best of the three imo. Humana just sounds weird to me most of the time.

etyrnal

13 Jan 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:Alright so I've tried them out now for a while and I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't be using them too much. I was gonna write a 3 track EP with them but I got bored by them pretty quickly so today I decided to end that project.

I thought that I would be more positive about them after using them for a while. I agree that these instruments could easy have been lumped together as one. Having them seperated as different units would make more sense if they each contained more instruments and sounds.
To be really useful all instruments could have more sample variations since these are supposed to sound more realistic.
The samples themselves are alright but like I said there's so few of them. Most sounds I know I'll never use.
Klang and Pangea were the best of the three imo. Humana just sounds weird to me most of the time.
Those three instruments are the most lame thing that propellerheads has ever done. To me they feel very lazy.

Harmen

13 Jan 2018

they are all material, physics from nature.
That's what's good about it. You can't get it from synthetic source, that what the other topics are about.

It's good fabric of the fibre.
Like to see more of this earthly love.

(sent from MY XXGXHSBSNDHCJJNGUOOKJLSJXN-Version 14.2445b12345 using WYSIWYG_nothing more and nothing less ?

modecca

13 Jan 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Jan 2018
Alright so I've tried them out now for a while and I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't be using them too much. I was gonna write a 3 track EP with them but I got bored by them pretty quickly so today I decided to end that project.

Gorgeous tune mate.
I think these things have great sounds, but prefer to chuck the samples into Grain or ⚛️ myself.
🔗💥

• Information