Klang, Pangea, Humana - Anyone using them?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2017

So I know these 3 instruments have gotten completely overshadowed by Europa and Grain. Some people seemed to hate them even before they were out, mostly people who were dissapointed by the "content" upgrade. They just seemed to hate the whole concept of these instruments. Fair enough, but has anyone here given them a fair chance yet? Or have you been to busy playing around with the new synths instead?

Do you like them? Does anyone here have any music where you've used them? Would be fun to hear some examples of how people are using them. Please share.

tanni

08 Nov 2017

I like the new "Romplers". Some exotic instruments and choir sounds. Easy to use.
What I really missing here is a LFO for some effects like vibrato, tremolo and filter fx (per voice). I hope propellerheads put it into later....

joeyluck

08 Nov 2017

I've used the predecessors (ReFills). They are sounds I like and use often. There are a few little differences with these, so looking forward to making use of them soon :)

etyrnal

08 Nov 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:So I know these 3 instruments have gotten completely overshadowed by Europa and Grain. Some people seemed to hate them even before they were out, mostly people who were dissapointed by the "content" upgrade. They just seemed to hate the whole concept of these instruments. Fair enough, but has anyone here given them a fair chance yet? Or have you been to busy playing around with the new synths instead?

Do you like them? Does anyone here have any music where you've used them? Would be fun to hear some examples of how people are using them. Please share.
They are super lame. Nothing impressive in there. It's like a collection of what, 20 or 30 samples? It's not even what you would expect from a decent quality refill for a mediocre sampler.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2017

etyrnal wrote:
08 Nov 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:So I know these 3 instruments have gotten completely overshadowed by Europa and Grain. Some people seemed to hate them even before they were out, mostly people who were dissapointed by the "content" upgrade. They just seemed to hate the whole concept of these instruments. Fair enough, but has anyone here given them a fair chance yet? Or have you been to busy playing around with the new synths instead?

They are super lame. Nothing impressive in there. It's like a collection of what, 20 or 30 samples? It's not even what you would expect from a decent quality refill for a mediocre sampler.
I agree that there's not much content in each instrument. I still haven't made up my mind about them.
I've just decided I'm gonna give them a fair chance and make an EP with them in my "One synth EP challenge" thread. I know they are 3 instruments, but with the exact same workflow I feel like they belong together in some way.
I'm sure I'll have an opinion after my EP is done.

Ixus

08 Nov 2017

Here's a work in progress where im using Humana and Pangea. Singing will be added later :)

Pangea on the folky bits and its pretty easy to hear where Humana is used :)

It's quite alright, easy to use and start making music.

Psuper

08 Nov 2017

Hate's a strong word! I certainly had my say in the beta forum about them, was a packed thread wish others could read it.

I found the concept of putting sample packs advertising for Soundiron as new "devices" which all share the same simplistic interface with minor processing to be a poor choice from Propellerhead right from the get go. Lots of reasons why, no sense repeating most of it -- the feedback was specifically for Propellerhead and discussion during a period feefback should matter.

To quote my summary: I see where this is leading as a user and don't like it at all. Monetizing baby segments of existing paks from other developers, and offering them as "Devices" in an upgrade titled "The Biggest Reason Update Ever‎" is borderline shameful to what we as users expect. We have Audio, we have REs, we have VSTs. We don't need a bunch of crippled 3rd party packs littering our landscape. Pretty much sums it up for me.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

groggy1

08 Nov 2017

My 2 cents: I don't like them, and I uninstalled them

I feel inspired by some synths and/or features: E.g. I've spent days playing with Grain, and trying different things. It's *fun*.
But Humana/Klang/Pangea, not exciting for me.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2017

groggy1 wrote:
08 Nov 2017
My 2 cents: I don't like them, and I uninstalled them

I feel inspired by some synths and/or features: E.g. I've spent days playing with Grain, and trying different things. It's *fun*.
But Humana/Klang/Pangea, not exciting for me.
Alright. Was it because of the sounds themselves? The quality? Or they just didn't fit your music? The non tweakability? All of them?

devilfish

08 Nov 2017

More of everything....

everything means: more crap, too :D

joeyluck

08 Nov 2017

Ixus wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Here's a work in progress where im using Humana and Pangea. Singing will be added later :)

This is great! :thumbs_up:

chaosroyale

08 Nov 2017

I'll pile in to back up Psuper.

Grain is great, Europa is good (I got in trouble for not thinking it was the second coming) and if R10 had been advertised as "9.5 gave you VSTs! So lets go back to our roots, here's a couple of great new synths built into Reason!" the update wouldn't have gotten as much hate.

Taking offcuts from Soundirons (otherwise excellent) libraries and calling them a content upgrade, is borderline insulting but also a complete waste of time and expense. Same with the drum samples (which are full of near duplicates by the way, you could cut half and lose nothing). Anyone can get a million free EDM drums on the internet if that's what they want.

If Reason10 was intended to promote sampled instruments, upgrades for the NN-XT alongside Grain would have been much more useful.

teddymcw

08 Nov 2017

I like the thought of them in theory but they fall short of adding a ton of excitement in practice. Mostly in that it lets the mind think of a category of sound and load up a single device w appropriate controls n Reasonesque knobs to do so. Yet, they if they were going to make this good wed be able to load our own samples into it then play w the knobs just like a more Reason specific version of Kontakt.

That said, I'm even more excited to hear your EP with them given their limited range!

"Grain is great, Europa is good" exactly. I may update this Winter just for Grain and hope of more features over the next year or two.

teddymcw

08 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Ixus wrote:
08 Nov 2017
For real, what a great music discovery from this thread!

dvdrtldg

08 Nov 2017

They sound nice but as others have said, they're basically Soundiron "Essentials" and pretty limited. But who cares - for me, R10 is all about the new synths and I like the expanded FSB/loops content as well. Very happy with the upgrade. Anyone seriously pissed off or "insulted" that the Soundiron gear isn't very exciting needs to get out more

Ostermilk

08 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Ixus wrote:
08 Nov 2017

Ain' it!!!

Superb. :o

Ixus

08 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Ixus wrote:
08 Nov 2017

Thanks all! :D
I think some of the sounds are kinda meh but some sound pretty sweet, something quick to grab when building ideas and so on.
defenately workable!

starship
RE Developer

08 Nov 2017

I used them to make some combi patches... They are kinda limited, and I didn't have the prior refill so this was my first experience with these samples, and I was also disappointed for like 5 minutes with the available controls... but for what they do, they sound pretty good and are easy enough to use. Obviously though I'm wiring 'em up to a KRON or two. :) A PSDN or three later...

I like to have multiple instruments in my combi patches, sort of a unison thing, using different mods or mirrored mods or something... so having light seemingly low-CPU-usage "romplers" that maybe should have *more* sounds available... :) and yet sound kinda great is pretty OK with me. I just use at least 2 and give them some heavy CV modding.

I hope they put more of this in future versions. Might as well make another dozen using the same tech with different samples. I mean now that they've already put 3 in here... might as well just keep going. It can't be that hard for them to do, and it'd be a nice way to spice up 10.5. I'm not saying I hope they focus on this kind of thing, but now that they've done it, they might as well flesh it out.

FWIW, in a couple/few days, depending, a KRON bug fix update will hit the shop that has these combi patches in it plus some Europa patches... and I did not beta Reason 10. :)

miscend

08 Nov 2017

I never even bothered downloading them because they take up too much space. And I’m trying to prolong my SSD’s life span.

I’m shocked that they are not up to the standard typical Kontakt libraries used for film scores etc

miscend

08 Nov 2017

starship wrote:
08 Nov 2017
I used them to make some combi patches... They are kinda limited, and I didn't have the prior refill so this was my first experience with these samples, and I was also disappointed for like 5 minutes with the available controls... but for what they do, they sound pretty good and are easy enough to use. Obviously though I'm wiring 'em up to a KRON or two. :) A PSDN or three later...

I like to have multiple instruments in my combi patches, sort of a unison thing, using different mods or mirrored mods or something... so having light seemingly low-CPU-usage "romplers" that maybe should have *more* sounds available... :) and yet sound kinda great is pretty OK with me. I just use at least 2 and give them some heavy CV modding.

I hope they put more of this in future versions. Might as well make another dozen using the same tech with different samples. I mean now that they've already put 3 in here... might as well just keep going. It can't be that hard for them to do, and it'd be a nice way to spice up 10.5. I'm not saying I hope they focus on this kind of thing, but now that they've done it, they might as well flesh it out.

FWIW, in a couple/few days, depending, a KRON bug fix update will hit the shop that has these combi patches in it plus some Europa patches... and I did not beta Reason 10. :)
There is potentially a market for refills which make use of these sounds as the basic building blocks for more complex combis and sequenced sounds. I can imagine refills aimed at world music guys and tv composers.

moneykube

08 Nov 2017

Ixus wrote:
08 Nov 2017

great... love it
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

starship
RE Developer

08 Nov 2017

miscend wrote:
08 Nov 2017
There is potentially a market for refills which make use of these sounds as the basic building blocks for more complex combis and sequenced sounds. I can imagine refills aimed at world music guys and tv composers.
Yeah, and I'm using them to make built-in-devices-only combinator patches for my CV devices... so I mean from my POV, I'm happy to have more to work with. They could use some more CV inputs, filter options, etc. I mean if I ever make a sampler, it'll have some more options. :) But exactly, they're pretty decent building blocks, especially if they make more (and maybe add a few things on them?).

I was kinda disappointed that that's what 3 of the instruments were, to be honest, until I started messing with them in parallel with some nice CV action.... And it was kinda refreshingly simple compared to trying to grok the Europa my first night with it. :) I want more options on the Europa fwiw. :)

Puniho

08 Nov 2017

I cant quite understand the hate these new devices are generating here! Sure, they are mini versions of Soundirons sample banks, but remember, those sample banks are deeply sampled and mega expensive to invest in. If i was a professional composer making film scores, it would be a worthy investment. But i'm basicly toying around, and dont wish to invest that much cash. So these little tastes for me are just right. I already have the microchoir and tuned micro, but having them in convenient instruments is nice. I feel that these sounds fill a gaping void in Reasons sound pallette, which is primarly aimed at EDM and hiphop. My fauvorite is the Travelling Organ! Even in the cut down version it has a lovely charactor to it!

Puniho

08 Nov 2017

I made this track for the Beta Song challenge but missed the deadline. Features Humana and Klang.

Last edited by QVprod on 09 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed soundcloud link

Puniho

08 Nov 2017

Ummm... dumb question but how do you embed Soundcloud tracks?

• Information