The Legend is 50% off this week

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jfrichards

06 Nov 2017

Finally, a big sale for The Legend, the grandmother of all synths!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/

Social Exodus

06 Nov 2017

jfrichards wrote:
06 Nov 2017
Finally, a big sale for The Legend, the grandmother of all synths!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/
Well, since Viking II is on sale for what, $39, I guess Synapse figured to get a little bit of action in this week.

See, and I'm sitting here wondering this; if these new era synths are "all that and a bag of chips", why are they being sold basically at cost right now? Perhaps the Reason 10 upgrade is more popular than is hinted at reading about it here?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

jfrichards

06 Nov 2017

I love the Minimoog (sure am loving Grain and Europa too)

EdGrip

06 Nov 2017

Right, people need to stop trying to make me buy excellent soft-synths. It's unreasonable.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2017

I never thought it would happen honestly.

Well if you don't have it, just f***in buy it. Imo the best sounding synth in Reason. Yeah yeah I know, "best" is subjective and a "saw is saw" and stuff. I don't care, it's the best sounding synth in Reason. I don't know why, it just is :D
The drive and filter is magic.

Social Exodus

06 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
06 Nov 2017
Right, people need to stop trying to make me buy excellent soft-synths. It's unreasonable.
This new trend is GREAT for consumers, no doubt. But from the business side of things, ya gotta wonder.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

pjeudy

06 Nov 2017

Social Exodus wrote:
06 Nov 2017

I'm sitting here wondering this; if these new era synths are "all that and a bag of chips", why are they being sold basically at cost right now? Perhaps the Reason 10 upgrade is more popular than is hinted at reading about it here?
Are you thinking that because a Device goes on sale that means the host application is popular? but what about those other sales these past 5 years! Reason 10 wasn't out then.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

EdGrip

06 Nov 2017

There's no such thing as "at cost" for soft-synths, so we assume that devs are happy to sell at the mean price between discount-price sales and full-price sales.

Discounts this steep are more commonplace in VST land than in RE land - since having access to VSTs, I've been learning their ways. Companies like Waves exist in a permanent state of SALE! where the sale price is effectively the price of the item, and the "standard" price is simply something to compare the discount price to, rather than what they think the plugin is actually worth.
There are some VST companies (Valhalla, U-He, I think Serum/xfer) who don't do discounts at all - they charge what they consider is the right and fair price all the time so their customers don't have to wait for sales or worry about paying too much. I think I prefer this system, but I don't have particularly strong feelings either way. (Though the only paid-for VSTs I have so far are The Mangle, TAL Sampler, a Valhalla reverb and a U-He synth. I don't think TAL do discounts either. Make of that what you will.)
Last edited by EdGrip on 06 Nov 2017, edited 2 times in total.

EdGrip

06 Nov 2017

pjeudy wrote:
06 Nov 2017
Are you thinking that because a Device goes on sale that means the host application is popular? but what about those other sales these past 5 years! Reason 10 wasn't out then.
I think the idea is that maybe people are currently spending their money on the R10 upgrade instead of RE synths. Neither VK-2 nor Legend are competing with Europa or Grain, though, so I don't think it's that.

Social Exodus

06 Nov 2017

pjeudy wrote:
06 Nov 2017
Social Exodus wrote:
06 Nov 2017

I'm sitting here wondering this; if these new era synths are "all that and a bag of chips", why are they being sold basically at cost right now? Perhaps the Reason 10 upgrade is more popular than is hinted at reading about it here?

Honestly, I have no idea why these synths are all deeply discounted right now. But for whatever reason (pun intended?) there is a good old fashioned price war happening here, wouldn't you agree?

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Social Exodus

06 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
06 Nov 2017
There's no such thing as "at cost" for soft-synths, so we assume that devs are happy to sell at the mean price between discount-price sales and full-price sales.

Unless the developers are working for free, there is a cost basis for software.

I'm a software developer and I don't work for free ;)
EdGrip wrote:
06 Nov 2017
Discounts this steep are more commonplace in VST land than in RE land - since having access to VSTs, I've been learning their ways. Companies like Waves exist in a permanent state of SALE! where the sale price is effectively the price of the item, and the "standard" price is simply something to compare the discount price to, rather than what they think the plugin is actually worth.
There are some VST companies (Valhalla, U-He, I think Serum/xfer) who don't do discounts at all - they charge what they consider is the right and fair price all the time so their customers don't have to wait for sales or worry about paying too much. I think I prefer this system, but I don't have particularly strong feelings either way. (Though the only paid-for VSTs I have so far are The Mangle, TAL Sampler, a Valhalla reverb and a U-He synth. I don't think TAL do discounts either. Make of that what you will.)
This makes sense to me. No matter what though, the consumer is the clear winner here.

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

FLVZ

06 Nov 2017

Social Exodus wrote:
06 Nov 2017

Have you considered the breakeven point, after going past that pretty much any money made is a profit, and these REs aren't exactly getting fired out for free ?

Social Exodus

06 Nov 2017

Flavolous wrote:
06 Nov 2017
Social Exodus wrote:
06 Nov 2017

Have you considered the breakeven point, after going past that pretty much any money made is a profit, and these REs aren't exactly getting fired out for free ?
Sure, and I'd say that is probably the case here. But even when that project is done, there's the next project and ongoing tech support to pay them for. This is the revenue stream.

Look folks, I am merely curious here.

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

fieldframe
RE Developer

06 Nov 2017

Anyone who has used both Legend and Arturia Mini V have some insight on how they stack up? I *love* Mini V - it might be my favorite VST. But everyone raves about Legend. I know the sonic space is going to be quite similar given they're both based on the Minimoog, but are there certain types of sounds it clearly does better than Arturia? How about workflow?

fieldframe
RE Developer

06 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
06 Nov 2017

It looks kind of chaotic sometimes, but it's all market forces. Companies charge what the market will bear: If they want to sell more, they lower the price. The balancing act is to find the equilibrium between volume and price per unit that maximizes revenue.

Arturia is an interesting case in that they tried a big sale price on the V collection earlier this year, and one can only assume it was a huge success: After the promo through NI ended, Arturia ran the same sale on their own site, and now retailers like Sweetwater and Reverb have the sale running over and over. It turned out that the price to maximize revenue was a lot lower than they initially thought, and so they have basically turned the sale price into the new retail price.

junkish

06 Nov 2017

Ah nice, was planning to get it.
Wonder if the crossgrade offer is still valid if you buy it at the sale

miscend

06 Nov 2017

junkish wrote:
06 Nov 2017
I’m also wondering if Rich is still offering a VST cross grade

Social Exodus

06 Nov 2017

At these prices, I might just get eXpanse($59), Zero($49), Viking 2($39) and Legend($49) for under $200.

I'll load up all four and watch my CPU cash in it's chips lol

I kid, I kid. Still -- all 4 of those could be had for $196. Amazing.

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2017

fieldframe wrote:
06 Nov 2017
Anyone who has used both Legend and Arturia Mini V have some insight on how they stack up? I *love* Mini V - it might be my favorite VST. But everyone raves about Legend. I know the sonic space is going to be quite similar given they're both based on the Minimoog, but are there certain types of sounds it clearly does better than Arturia? How about workflow?
If you have Mini V you don't need Legend.

Although, Viking 2 on the other hand.. can rival any sound made on The Legend or Mini V, (aside from stuff made with the feedback knob) And go far, far beyond anything remotely possible with either Legend or Mini V.

The reason people rave about The Legend so much is because it actually does sound "better" "fatter" etc. and there is a reason for that.
It's got a amp saturation parameter on the back, that is actually turned up a bit even when you init patch.

pothole

06 Nov 2017

miscend wrote:
06 Nov 2017
junkish wrote:
06 Nov 2017
I’m also wondering if Rich is still offering a VST cross grade
just bought it

i sent an email to service @ synapse - audio . com

waiting on a reply

jayhosking

06 Nov 2017

This synth is incredible, and absolutely worth its full price, let alone this deal.

FLVZ

06 Nov 2017

fieldframe wrote:
06 Nov 2017
EdGrip wrote:
06 Nov 2017

It looks kind of chaotic sometimes, but it's all market forces. Companies charge what the market will bear: If they want to sell more, they lower the price. The balancing act is to find the equilibrium between volume and price per unit that maximizes revenue.

Arturia is an interesting case in that they tried a big sale price on the V collection earlier this year, and one can only assume it was a huge success: After the promo through NI ended, Arturia ran the same sale on their own site, and now retailers like Sweetwater and Reverb have the sale running over and over. It turned out that the price to maximize revenue was a lot lower than they initially thought, and so they have basically turned the sale price into the new retail price.
This video provides and excellent comparison of all the emulations:

Voyager

06 Nov 2017

50% off just before the black friday ?

I won't complain tho..

sdst
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2017

this synth is a masterpiece, a very clean interface and good sound

I prefer the RE version better than the vst

raymondh

06 Nov 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Nov 2017
I never thought it would happen honestly.

Well if you don't have it, just f***in buy it. Imo the best sounding synth in Reason. Yeah yeah I know, "best" is subjective and a "saw is saw" and stuff. I don't care, it's the best sounding synth in Reason. I don't know why, it just is :D
The drive and filter is magic.
Yes it really is superb. It sounds so "organic" to me.

This, and VK-2 are great examples of how nonsense it is to compare synths based on specifications. Synths like this have character.

• Information