Viking 2 vs Legend ( analog synths )

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Voyager

04 Nov 2017

Hello guys,

I'd like to get a good analog synth, which one do you recommend between Viking 2 & Legend and why ?

Thanks

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2017

Depends on what you're after.

I'm a Legend fanboy. I've tried both but i prefer to work with Legend.
For me playing around with the drive, feedback and filter section on Legend beats Viking 2 anyday. I just haven't found that thick porridgy resonance sound in any other synth. Also I like the simplicity of Legend. Great reverb too.

Viking 2 is far more complex with more features which is why I personally don't like it as much. I like simplicity. But if you're more of a tweaker I'm sure it's pure heaven. Many people seem to love it. It's a lot more CPU heavy though if that matters to you.

Both are definitely good sounding synths.

Voyager

04 Nov 2017

Nice feedback thanks, i like simplicity as well because the more choices or options i have the more i'm spending ( and wasting ) my time because i have this habit to try to get always further and further to see if i can get something better. So the more options i have the more i'm spending (and sometimes wasting ) my time to get what i'm looking for.

I'm more a preset tweaker than a sound designer from scratch but often i end up with something totally different than the preset itself but the preset give me a good inspiration to start tweaking.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2017

Since there are no demo songs for it, I'll post 2 tracks where I've only used Legend for all sounds. No samples. All reverbs come from the synth itself. Obviously I've mixed the sounds, compressors, EQs, a little bit of Disperser on the drums to enhance the attack.
I have 2 other Legend songs as well but they are more beat oriented with lots of drum samples.

I will say though that soundclick ruins the beautiful rich sound of Legend quite a bit so keep that in mind.

theshoemaker

04 Nov 2017

This one here is also The Legend and Presets only. From my personal point of view VK2 is more capable, versatile and a little bit more resource hungry. I'd choose VK2 over The Legend as it is more versatile. But it comes at a CPU cost. Decide yourself

:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

raymondh

04 Nov 2017

I concur with TritoneAddictions views, adding that VK-2 is really hungry on CPU. Not so bad with mono sounds but many poly sounds or long release tails will have your PC begging for mercy. So you have to bounce a lot and that impacts the immediacy of your workflow.

Having said that, maybe it is worth it, because the results can be really nice. I don't have any "Legend only" demos, but here is my VK-2 demo (drums are samples):

In the end I really like both and I purchased both. I'll use The Legend as a Goto synth, and I'll use VK-2 when I'm willing to work a bit harder for it's special sound.

exxx

04 Nov 2017

The five stars of Reason Shop are good enough to be apologetic without asking, and four are ambiguous.

The legend is really good. Good sound is no doubt.

FLVZ

04 Nov 2017

Voyager wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Hello guys,

I'd like to get a good analog synth, which one do you recommend between Viking 2 & Legend and why ?

Thanks
Have you looked at Mono/Poly ? Absolutely fabulous analog synthesiser, I have been using it a lot lately and the unison on this synth is just so damn beautiful.

Anyway if its Legend vs VK2 the decision is really down to how you work. For me I was on the brink on blowing my £100 on Legend when VK2 came out, VK2 was a totally different way of working and thinking for me, so its hard to compare it to Legend other than the end result. Both synths are phenomenal but in the end I was creating patches with VK2 like no synth I've ever used before so I just had to buy it after the trial. VK2 has better oscillators and effects section for sure, and I'm pretty sure you can emulate any legend patch with VK2 but can't do it vice-versa.

You definitely need to use them yourself because their usability is apples and oranges, trial them or get the cheap subscription package and add a bunch of dreamy analog synths to do a shootout (again I recommend you look at Mono/Poly by Korg)

eXode

05 Nov 2017

Voyager wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Hello guys,

Thanks
I'll just paste my answer from the Blamsoft VK-2 for $39!! thread. :)

"It depends on what you're after. The Legend is an impeccable simulation of the Minimoog Model D, a legendary monophonic synthesizer (with some extras such as 4 voice polyphony/monophonic unison), but like the Model D it's a very simple synthesizer with 3 OSCs, no sync, fixed square/PW configuration (no PWM), and limited modulation over all. The Legend comes with a delay and reverb.

VK-2 is basically something like a cross between a Moog Voyager and a System 15 modular.
VK-2 also offers 3 OSCs with Sync/FM, PW/M, 2 LFOs, 2 Mod Busses (that can offer RM among other things), a multimode filter, several effects (dist, chorus, phaser, delay, reverb) that can be reordered and a majority of the connections/mod inputs are modular in concept, offering audio rate modulation. VK-2 offers up to 6 voices of polyphony, with up to 4 voices oscillator stacking with detune and stereo.

The VK-2 is heavier on CPU but that pertains to the fact that it's far more complex in it's voice structure in terms of how you can connect things together, and that most targets can be modulated at audio rate. If you like flexibility and modular tweaking then VK-2 is unparalleled (imho).

To highlight the modular aspect of VK-2, you can use the OSC1 Saw as audio into the mixer, but you can simultaneously use the OSC1 Sine or Triangle as a source to modulate OSC2 FM, similarly you can use LFO1 Triangle to modulate PW of OSC2, and at the same time use LFO1 sample and hold output for the filter."

EdGrip

05 Nov 2017

They are related, but more different than they might first appear. I trialed both when they came out - I think I concluded that I *slightly* preferred the sounds from VK-2 but that CPU-wise The Legend was the more practical option. The Legend is quick and to the point - authentic Moog. VK-2 is so modular you could stick 2 of them in a combinator and make a six-operator FM synth.
If your computer has DSPs for days, there's no bad choice. Having said that, I'm very glad I have VK-2, even on my 2014 uber-laptop.
Most importantly - trail both! :D

PS - I've seen threads lately praise both Mono/Poly and Polysix. I confess to having neglected them. Must give them some attention!

Voyager

05 Nov 2017

Flavolous wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Have you looked at Mono/Poly ?
Didn't know about it, look a nice synth as well but look like a but handy and more for people who like to make their sound from scratch. In opposite the Polysix look like simplier and seems can still deliver nice sounds as Mono/poly.

EdGrip wrote:
05 Nov 2017
've seen threads lately praise both Mono/Poly and Polysix. I confess to having neglected them. Must give them some attention!
Thanks, i've just looked around the Polysix a bit and seems a nice little bit, simple but do not a lot of things but seems to do it very well and what' matter.

EdGrip

05 Nov 2017

I think Polysix was the first RE I bought - paid full price too! :D
I bought Mono/Poly on sale entirely because Panda made a huge generative refill for it.

miscend

05 Nov 2017

My impressions were. VK2 has more features and is more powerful. The Legend has more character in the sound and sounds more analogue.

theshoemaker

05 Nov 2017

Don't forget Europa, while evaluating. The spectral filter with the basic analog waveform is delicious!
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

eXode

06 Nov 2017

The Legend does not sound more analogue. Different? Yes. Great? Absolutely! More Analogue (what ever that means)? No. A claim like that will make me question if a person either have bad hearing, or didn't pay attention/didn't actually try it properly.

Having had years of experience with various hardware synthesizers in the past (Waldorf Pulse, Realistic MG-1, Moog Sub Phatty, Studio Electronics Boomstar 5089 and SE80, Dave Smith Instrument Evolver, Poly Evolver Keyboard and Tetra, plus a big Eurorack modular), I can say that with great confidence. VK-2 captures the spirit, and most importantly many of the subtle nuances, of analogue hardware. It is without a shadow of a doubt one of my favorite analogue sounding software plugins, regardless of platform.

joeyluck

06 Nov 2017

It's worth noting that both are on sale at the moment and you could get them both! Legend has my vote for the sound, interface, and lower CPU usage. VK-2 is fun though.

miscend

06 Nov 2017

Exode “more analogue” is a highly subjective term and we all have different opinions on these things.
There’s people that own a vintage Mini Moog, that said The Legend is almost indistinguishable. You guys did a great job and without a doubt should be proud of VK2.

scratchnsnifff

06 Nov 2017

I like legend for basic sounds and vk2 for its great sounding FM I don’t use either all that much because I’m a wavetable fan but when I want analog I pick vk2 or legend, vk2 for more in depth all in the box sounds legend for Reasonant leads
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

unisyn

07 Nov 2017

Vote for the Legend.
VK2 is more creative, but doesn't have the immediacy. And it's hunger for resource is a show stopper in many cases.
Also you get the VST license as well if you go Legend.

michael.jaye

07 Nov 2017

When I trialled The Legend when it was first released it was the only time the smooth & creamy sound of an RE really astounded me. Because it's also on sale, I'm trialling VK2 now and was thinking it was an either/or purchase situation. I'm seriously considering buying both as the bass sounds in Legend are incredible, and the VK2 pads and poly patches are a great compliment.

• Information