Request: Drum Sequencer - advanced features + remotable

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
electrofux

21 Oct 2017

I think there is still a lack of a cool Drum Sequencer RE in the Shop.
The most advanced one is Propulsion but it is sadly not remotable (probably because it implements different patterns which leads to SDK restrictions or an insane remote item count)

I would propose a simple one with some nifty per step features. Now, most people would want to have 64 steps which makes remotability in combination with some extra per step features an issue. If that can be circumvented then 64 steps would be even better.
But with the emergence of Trig Conditions like in the elektron digitakt even 16 step patterns can be turned into very long and varying patterns in a cool way and working intensively on 16 steps only has its advantages too.

Trig Conditions are a per step feature which set if a trig (a trig is an active step) is allowed to play or not. There is probability so a trig which has the Trig Condition of 25% will only play with a chance of 25% each loop cycle. Then there are counters like 1:2 or 2:2 which say that every 2 loop cycles a step plays either on the first or the second iteration. There are more variations of this up to 8:8. It goes on with PRE which makes a trig only play if the previous trig played. Together with NOT PRE complex stuff can be made. NEI is also a nice one, which looks if the same step on the next track plays or not.
There are a couple more Trig Conditions. They are all accessable via one knob that scans through all options. And usage of these leads to long not at all repetetive patterns. I would love to see that in a sequencer.

Also people would argue that banks of patterns need to be in but if you have different banks of patterns your number count of remote items explodes and a drumsequencer with lots of per step feature lives from being tweaked with a controller (eg a Launch Control). And with the new Players there should also be ways to get a pattern to track.

This is Trig Conditions, one part that makes 16 step patterns flexible.

Then there is different length and resolutions per Track which can introduce polymetric stuff to a pattern.

Another cool thing is ratcheting and retrigger as being found in the StepNote Recorder.

And apart from the obvious per step parameters like Velocity and Gate i would like to see two CV outs to connect to different parameters of Drum Modules or FX, so you can setup eg Reverb send per step or Filter per Step kindof limited Parameter Locks.

Each track should also not only have a gate out but also a Note CV out so you can connect it to an NN19 with a Drum Kit loaded. That way every step can not only have a different sample but with a per track Note offset you can also easily scan through different drumsounds without using the browser.

I have attached sketchup maybe a RE developer finds it interesting enough.
Attachments
Drumseq.pdf
(168.19 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Gorgon

21 Oct 2017

You do know about Grid64g, right?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

electrofux

21 Oct 2017

Gorgon wrote:
21 Oct 2017
You do know about Grid64g, right?
Yeah, but Grid64g doesnt have Conditional Trigs (the most important part of my post since it is a VERY powerful feature), CV per step (apart from Note CV), Ratcheting and Retrigger per step etc. The whole point of my post is that there are newer concepts of creating drums that could be combined into a really good drumsequencer.

Grid64g is ok but really nothing special. It has a basic feature set for a sequencer with a couple of exceptions like independant lenght and resolution per track. But it lacks per step features. Its strenght is that it offers Remote Codecs for all kinds of padcontrollers.

Gorgon

21 Oct 2017

electrofux wrote:
21 Oct 2017
Grid64g is ok but really nothing special. It has a basic feature set for a sequencer with a couple of exceptions like independant lenght and resolution per track. But it lacks per step features. Its strenght is that it offers Remote Codecs for all kinds of padcontrollers.
So it is special after all.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

electrofux

21 Oct 2017

Gorgon wrote:
21 Oct 2017
electrofux wrote:
21 Oct 2017
So it is special after all.
´With special i meant the sequencer itself. I like the layout and the remote stuff with Launchpads. Didnt mean to dis the RE. Its a good addition to Kong. But for a drumsequencer it has space for features, maybe in an update. Would be cool if it would get an injection of some sequencing magic . Retouch does a pretty impressive Reason-Push codec and developing Grid64 may be very good in that context too. Would love to see them do it.

In the end i was just suggesting some sequencer features that i think have proven to be usefull elsewhere. And i will praise whoever does it ;-)

BTW this guy uses some of the features i am suggesting (its a bit lengthy but it shows):

OverneathTheSkyBridg

14 Sep 2018

Looks like this thread aged well with a PH Drum computer plugin now availabe! :-)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

electrofux

16 Sep 2018

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
14 Sep 2018
Looks like this thread aged well with a PH Drum computer plugin now availabe! :-)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
The Drumsequencer sadly does not much of what i proposed.

Mr. Watts

17 Sep 2018

Has anyone out there gotten much use out of the Props drum sequencer? I literally haven't used it at all since the day I got it. Having to switch between patterns because there are only 16 steps and having to chain 2 instances to use all of Kong's pads turned out to be big shortcomings for me. I like how you can do rolls easily with it but it's kind of odd that you can't have different velocities for each note within the roll/repeat, especially since its a graphic display edit. I can see myself using this for my hi hats but would at least need 32 steps to make it usable, 16 is simply not enought. Not complaining or anything since it was free for a limited time and cool to have when I feel like experimenting. I just feel that this could be a really useful device if they added a couple of features to make it less of a pain to use. Maybe it will get more use when I get Umph as it seems that it was designed to be used more with that. Also, as I've seen mentioned elsewhere on this forum, being able to use ReGroove with it would be a huge plus as well.

ArchitectNub

23 Sep 2018

so then Mike

is it fair to say that a full featured Dual Drum like Muffs is sufficient for getting bass drums when tuned low enough?

Re8et
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2018

For note transposing there is Robotic Bean TM-1, just twin the output gate of your sequencer, and you have notes.
Gate offsetting can be done with use of CV Suite devices, or Hamu, and surely with Kron and/or Poseidon. in POST
In PRE, you would need to translate to AUDIO and use Robotic Bean TS-1 with delay compensation, then retranslate audio to cv, hopefully that would work.... :idea:

Some sequencers, like the PSQ, have also aux out, very useful for a bunch of stuff.
More trig cv in options would be nice to have, maybe some small pots to microadjust cv offset also would be cool,
maybe in a separate Re afterall, there's not much space left on the backpanels of Propulsion,Kompulsion or Psq :P

• Information