Please, somebody write a guitar looper rack extension.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eiresurfer

13 Oct 2017

So, I already own Ochen K's Repeat Rack Extenstion, but I've never really taken to it, as I find it's just not easy to set up for guitar looping.

What I would really love to see is a implementation of the Boss RC series pedals (e.g. the RC-3, RC-30 or RC-300), or the Digitech Jamman Stereo pedal. Something that's easy to setup, and will save the looped audio. I'm surprised that there's none out there. I've even tried a few VSTs but none are that good.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2017

Geronimo this is a guitar synth, not a looper.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2017

eiresurfer wrote:
13 Oct 2017
So, I already own Ochen K's Repeat Rack Extenstion, but I've never really taken to it, as I find it's just not easy to set up for guitar looping.

What I would really love to see is a implementation of the Boss RC series pedals (e.g. the RC-3, RC-30 or RC-300), or the Digitech Jamman Stereo pedal. Something that's easy to setup, and will save the looped audio. I'm surprised that there's none out there. I've even tried a few VSTs but none are that good.
eiresurfer,

Have you ever tried using blocks for this? I think you could put a block in loop, and record your guitar on multiple tracks while playing. Reason is quite steady doing this. You could even toggle track enables, dub tracks, and so on in real time, add real time effects, and even create pre processed channels for different purposes.

With a midi pedal board you could even control the tracks (setting the track you're recording) enable and disable recording, etc. Just fiddling with the remote files, or creating a template document with pre set remotes.
Last edited by mcatalao on 13 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

normen

13 Oct 2017

Sounds like its not about what the device does but how it does it for you. Sure you couldn't whip something up in a combinator with Repeat that behaves the way you want?

For "saving" the audio from Repeat you can just create a loop in Reason and bounce in place. To make it super convenient you can make a place in the sequencer where you have automation for Repeats "reset/restart/play" at the beginning of that loop so its a matter of "enable loop" -> "bounce in place".

eiresurfer

13 Oct 2017

I actually have a decent solution, which I can do with my FBV Express.

I set up (say) an 8 bar loop, and map the 4 footswitches to: start, stop, record & overdub. So when you are recording on an audio track, hitting overdub will immediately create a new track, and will continue recording on that track. I also have Tap Tempo assigned to my midi keyboard damper pedal. It actually works really well.

However, I used to own a Boss RC-50 (the older version of the RC-30), but I sold it, and now I wish I hadn't. Compared to either Ochen-K's Repeater or my own method, the Boss pedal was a MUCH nicer way of creating loops. The big advantage is that you don't have to set loop length or tempo before playing. With the pedals you just turn it on, then hit the pedal, play your instrument, and hit the pedal again, that's it. The loop length can be whatever you want. The boss pedals also have tap tempo built in as well (with click or drum sounds). Obviously, the only downside to the Boss pedals was that you had to manually copy the audio files into reason via USB.

eiresurfer

13 Oct 2017

normen wrote:
13 Oct 2017
Sounds like its not about what the device does but how it does it for you. Sure you couldn't whip something up in a combinator with Repeat that behaves the way you want?

For "saving" the audio from Repeat you can just create a loop in Reason and bounce in place. To make it super convenient you can make a place in the sequencer where you have automation for Repeats "reset/restart/play" at the beginning of that loop so its a matter of "enable loop" -> "bounce in place".
You know, I might have another crack at Ochen-K's device again with a combinator.

normen

13 Oct 2017

eiresurfer wrote:
13 Oct 2017
I actually have a decent solution, which I can do with my FBV Express.

I set up (say) an 8 bar loop, and map the 4 footswitches to: start, stop, record & overdub. So when you are recording on an audio track, hitting overdub will immediately create a new track, and will continue recording on that track. I also have Tap Tempo assigned to my midi keyboard damper pedal. It actually works really well.

However, I used to own a Boss RC-50 (the older version of the RC-30), but I sold it, and now I wish I hadn't. Compared to either Ochen-K's Repeater or my own method, the Boss pedal was a MUCH nicer way of creating loops. The big advantage is that you don't have to set loop length or tempo before playing. With the pedals you just turn it on, then hit the pedal, play your instrument, and hit the pedal again, that's it. The loop length can be whatever you want. The boss pedals also have tap tempo built in as well (with click or drum sounds). Obviously, the only downside to the Boss pedals was that you had to manually copy the audio files into reason via USB.
Well if thats it I'd agree with the others that using simple lanes and blocks in Reason and mapping the right things to the right keys and / or MIDI pedals should do and everything you need is already in Reason? Sounds like you just want to do actual continuous recordings. Just look at the overdub/new lane etc. options in Reason.

eiresurfer

13 Oct 2017

I guess what I'm really saying is that I wish someone would write a virtual Boss RC-30 rack extension.

tumar

13 Oct 2017

eiresurfer wrote:
13 Oct 2017

I need looper for live playing, tried almost any RE(I mean Ochen Repeat ;) )/vst/Reaktor ensemble. This is wasteland. There is only one effective software solution - Ableton Live and its native Looper, but it means DAW change.
If you got NI Guitar Rig, you can try with its Loop Machine. And that's all on software side.

Sorry, but there is no serious equivalent for hardware.

NaviRetlav

13 Oct 2017

eiresurfer wrote:
13 Oct 2017

I think you should send that request to Kuassa, especially since they develop both RE and VST plugins for guitarists.
https://www.kuassa.com

MannequinRaces

13 Oct 2017

Why do you even want a software looper? Hardware excels at this. Do you have a MIDI controller on your pedalboard? How are you doing or planning or doing using a software looper for practical live playing situations?

electrofux

14 Oct 2017

Not sure if related to the guitar style of loop recording but i never really understood why recording is so complicated in Reason or better why recording doesnt support the user a bit more.

When you are jamming over a loop in the sequencer i often just want to push a button and then Reason records from the next loop start to the loop end, so that i dont have any overlapping recording because i am not fast enough to stop or start the recording in time.

GRIFTY

14 Oct 2017

props really needs to rethink the sequencer imo. this could be so simple. i'm not even a guitarist, i'm a beatmaker, but this type of looper would be really cool for me too. imagine on-the-fly recording and mixing/combining of blocks. doesn't sound that far-fetched with a few code modifications props *wink-nudge*

scratchnsnifff

17 Oct 2017

A nice RE and my favorite for beat repeating is distillery by air raid audio :) keys on the keyboard loop segments of audio tracks. Buffer by peff is essentially the same but not based off of a granular concept. And quadralectrica has a Re for looping as well. I may have butchered that developers name sorry about that, but check those REs out, at least distillery
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Equalizer

19 Oct 2017

Lol, the workarounds you guys bring up sometimes...

Use Mainstage's Loopback. $29.99 (for the whole program). DONE.

"The Loopback plug-in lets you record virtual “tape loops,” play them back repeatedly, and overdub new recordings while previous ones continue playing. You can use the Loopback plug-in to create simple loops, recurring motifs, or complex, evolving textures."

This is why I use both Windows and OSX. No limitations.

sublunar

19 Oct 2017

eiresurfer wrote:
13 Oct 2017
Obviously, the only downside to the Boss pedals was that you had to manually copy the audio files into reason via USB.
Don't you have an audio interface with a hi-z input? Plug guitar into Boss looper into Hi-z input on your interface. Done.

strangers
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2017

Excuse my ignorance but as a fellow guitarist I'm not sure I understand the need for a looper rack extension when you can record endless lanes or tracks within the sequencer already? You can set your loop start/end points so you're not limited like you are with a looper pedal.

JacobiusWrex

19 Oct 2017

This probably is no help but it's basically the way I used MIDI controllers to create a looper using Reasons sequencer.

(Skip ahead a few minutes to get into it...)

AttenuationHz

05 Nov 2017

Dunno if this was posted https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... at-looper/ or how it would meet the needs
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

joeyluck

05 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Dunno if this was posted https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... at-looper/ or how it would meet the needs
Yes, eiresurfer mentions it in the first sentence of this topic :puf_smile:
eiresurfer wrote:
13 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz

05 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
05 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Yes, eiresurfer mentions it in the first sentence of this topic :puf_smile:
eiresurfer wrote:
13 Oct 2017

:lol: just saw it in the shop and remembered there was a thread requesting one. Didn't actually read the first post :D
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

eiresurfer

29 Nov 2017

SOLVED.

I purchased Guitar Rig Pro 5 for 99 euros. The looper on it is excellent.

Create 3 or 4 audio tracks, and merge them into a mixer track with Guitar Rig inserted. I can then use my midi keyboard damper pedal to start/stop loop recording. It works just as well, if not better, than the Boss RC pedals. It's much easier with Guitar Rig to export the audio tracks and import into Reason. Plus of course, you get much more flexibility with effects, etc.

• Information