Subscriptions: how many RE's for 19euro?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mataya

11 Oct 2017

Another find that might be useful for you to know or to avoid this scam.
So I picked my Re's, but I did not used my 1000euro limit and I hit subscribe at around 530euro. So I'm left with almost another 500euro to fill my subscription.
I payed, thinking I will maybe be able to add more Re's later. Well, you can't. I have 550euro worth or Re's for a month and I had to pay 19euro.
So if you pick your Re's and you barely go over 400euro, that's it, they'll take 19 euro from you without giving you an option to use what you've paid for...a 1000euro worth of Re's.
Now if that's not a steal, I don't know what is.

Just don't be as stupid as I was. Maybe this will help.

tx
M

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2017

Ouch... that is bad... I would have thought you could top up for the remaining period... Not something I will use anyway but a good heads up...

Email them they may help as this is something that they have just started.

Heater

11 Oct 2017

That can't be right. Surely a mistake with the website/logic on their part.

dpcoffin

11 Oct 2017

Sounds like something dumb they'll eventually fix, but for now, many thanks for the heads-up!

mataya

13 Oct 2017

dpcoffin wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Sounds like something dumb they'll eventually fix, but for now, many thanks for the heads-up!
No mistake, they didn't fixed anything.
I paid 19euro and got half of the deal.

tx
M

demt

13 Oct 2017

Argh time to double check strange warnings
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

joeyluck

13 Oct 2017

I think the system is setup a bit different than many customers might interpret.

For instance, the $9 package is for REs up to $400. When you cross that threshold, you are simply into the next package size that costs $19 and is up to $1000 value. Even when targeting those max amounts, you can't always land on them... And not always without arbitrarily adding some stuff to your subscription as filler; spending a great deal of time trying to figure out what you could maybe use and can add to your package to get the max value. But I think at that point, you probably aren't adding things you really need or plan to use within the next 30 days.

Perhaps it also has to do with the way (and when) developers are paid. As in, once the payments are processed, perhaps they then account for what developers will be paid. And maybe those developers make a bigger cut when their REs make up a larger percentage of the package? After the payment is processed, how would it be handled when you add REs to your subscription? What if the customer weren't to add REs until the 11th hour or at all? Maybe subscription revenues paid to developers would have to be pushed back further? I'm not sure what their pay periods are now, but this approach would have to at least push the payment back a month from the purchase (at least) and probably a couple weeks or so on top of that.

Also for licensing, my guess is that it is a 30-day bundled license for the REs you have chosen. Maybe it's not sophisticated enough to update that license mid-term with REs that would be good for less-than-30-days?

Tumble

13 Oct 2017

joeyluck wrote:
13 Oct 2017
I think the system is setup a bit different than many customers might interpret.

For instance, the $9 package is for REs up to $400. When you cross that threshold, you are simply into the next package size that costs $19 and is up to $1000 value. Even when targeting those max amounts, you can't always land on them... And not always without arbitrarily adding some stuff to your subscription as filler; spending a great deal of time trying to figure out what you could maybe use and can add to your package to get the max value. But I think at that point, you probably aren't adding things you really need or plan to use within the next 30 days.

Perhaps it also has to do with the way (and when) developers are paid. As in, once the payments are processed, perhaps they then account for what developers will be paid. And maybe those developers make a bigger cut when their REs make up a larger percentage of the package? After the payment is processed, how would it be handled when you add REs to your subscription? What if the customer weren't to add REs until the 11th hour or at all? Maybe subscription revenues paid to developers would have to be pushed back further? I'm not sure what their pay periods are now, but this approach would have to at least push the payment back a month from the purchase (at least) and probably a couple weeks or so on top of that.

Also for licensing, my guess is that it is a 30-day bundled license for the REs you have chosen. Maybe it's not sophisticated enough to update that license mid-term with REs that would be good for less-than-30-days?
It is fairly self-explanatory. Thing is, how are you supposed to know for sure when there isn't an FAQ on subsciptions?

mataya

13 Oct 2017

joeyluck wrote:
13 Oct 2017

Lot's of maybe's and probably's...

For example I went to fill my subscription up to 3000euro after I already paid 19euro for 530 euro of RE's ... They give you an option to update and let you know that you will be able to use those new RE's at once.
When you got further to payment, they ask 29euro ... so if I press pay, I paid 48 euro for 3000 euro worth of plugins for one month and that's not what they advertise.

Anyway, somebody did not think this trough and in the end you're just not getting what you paid for.

I still think this is just unfair.

M

AttenuationHz

13 Oct 2017

Well it should be capped all right. Definitely should not automatically go into the next plan if you go over the cap for the sub you have picked. I assume some sort of calculation is done to add and subtract from the subscription, those RE that will take you over the threshold into the next plan should not be aloud to be added to your plan even if it goes 1 cent over.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

joeyluck

13 Oct 2017

mataya wrote:
13 Oct 2017
joeyluck wrote:
13 Oct 2017

Lot's of maybe's and probably's...

For example I went to fill my subscription up to 3000euro after I already paid 19euro for 530 euro of RE's ... They give you an option to update and let you know that you will be able to use those new RE's at once.
When you got further to payment, they ask 29euro ... so if I press pay, I paid 48 euro for 3000 euro worth of plugins for one month and that's not what they advertise.

Anyway, somebody did not think this trough and in the end you're just not getting what you paid for.

I still think this is just unfair.

M
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that's how it would work either.
When you upgraded your plan, along with the newly added REs, did all of the REs you were previously subscribed to get a refresh in their end date?

Maybe it would be good if people could manage individual subscription packages?
For instance, maybe instead the user could pick up an addition $9 package with REs that have their own start and end date and it would just show up in your account as "Subscription #2." Perhaps others would prefer managing one, but maybe nice to have as an option to 'upgrade existing' or 'purchase an additional subscription.'

joeyluck

13 Oct 2017

I think the possible oversight with the subscription model is in the concept of so many changes to one's subscription happening in a short period of time; at the beginning of the subscription.

I think it's understandable that if you were to upgrade your subscription within the 30 days, say from $9 to $19, and you do it on day 15 or 20 or even 29 of 30, and it refreshes the end date of all of your other REs plus the new additions, and the customer expects to just pay the difference of $10, they essentially are paying $10 for the next 30 days for the $29 plan.

Catblack

14 Oct 2017

Heater wrote:
11 Oct 2017
This has always been a failing with Propellerhead. For as much detail and attention Reason gets, the shop is never 100% working. The same bug that bit me on the checkout page last December bit someone else months later. They don't ever make their shop fully working for all use cases. This glaring Subscriptions gaff is another prime example.

How could they have set up the Subscriptions on the website and NOT had an error message (if you didn't use your full subscription credits) or a strong confirmation page? I'm trying to imagine how they thought "no one will ever just add a single RE and then press subscribe... and be ok with that for the month." It puts some irony on "subscriptions done right."

Back when I did web development, led a team of web developers, we were the most nit picky bunch ever. We tested the logic on everything trying find a flaw that would bite our users after launch. It's never been Propellerhead's strong suit.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

joeyluck

14 Oct 2017

Catblack wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Heater wrote:
11 Oct 2017
This has always been a failing with Propellerhead. For as much detail and attention Reason gets, the shop is never 100% working. The same bug that bit me on the checkout page last December bit someone else months later. They don't ever make their shop fully working for all use cases. This glaring Subscriptions gaff is another prime example.

How could they have set up the Subscriptions on the website and NOT had an error message (if you didn't use your full subscription credits) or a strong confirmation page? I'm trying to imagine how they thought "no one will ever just add a single RE and then press subscribe... and be ok with that for the month." It puts some irony on "subscriptions done right."

Back when I did web development, led a team of web developers, we were the most nit picky bunch ever. We tested the logic on everything trying find a flaw that would bite our users after launch. It's never been Propellerhead's strong suit.
I think a 'suggestions' feature in which to 'add more' would be helpful. Like, "Hey, you have room for more! Check out these!" But of course, more difficult as the selection of the $9, $19, or $29 package at the beginning is arbitrary and you are working with the subscribe-o-meter just the same.

Most importantly though, a sort by price is needed more than ever now with this service. That would be more efficient and could help speed things along and keep people happy with the shopping for a subscription experience. It took me a bit of time to fill the $9 package while not only thinking about what I need and want to try again, but also what I can fit within the $9 package (so I can feel like I am getting the max value).

• Information