Subscriptions: online only?!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mataya

09 Oct 2017

I've selected my subscription devices, downloaded them and found out that you can use them only if you're online.
So this is just a paid trial, right?
I think this should be on the props page with big red letters across the page.
I was excited about Reason at first, but I'm beginning to realize why is this company always on the lower part of the list's.

Feels like they wanna steal something from me.

I expect to see soldiers defending them as usual, but would really like to know what other people think about this.

tx
M
Last edited by mataya on 09 Oct 2017, edited 3 times in total.

O1B

09 Oct 2017

whats the minimum subscription timeframe? if you dont mind....

mataya

09 Oct 2017

30 days, if I'm not mistaken.

fieldframe
RE Developer

09 Oct 2017

My best guess is that CodeMeter (or at least the way Propellerhead has implemented it) doesn't support expiring offline activation.

To me, this is actually a good thing, because I can be sure any REs I have activated on the dongle will stay activated on there no matter what. The downside of this is: Trials, betas, and now subscriptions, have to be online. This is also, I would presume, why REs don't support resale. There's no way to get them off your dongle.

mataya

09 Oct 2017

It's not really a big problem if they refund my money.
But I think it's a piece of information a lot of people will need in order to decide if subscribing is a good thing for them.
Not for me.

M

motuscott

09 Oct 2017

Get them mother effin' REs off my dongle!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Zac

09 Oct 2017

Oh, that's a shame. That makes subscription unworkable for me. I don't mind tethering my phone to beta test but not for ever.

QVprod

09 Oct 2017

I guess this can be a huge bummer if your setup is mobile or you don't have stable internet access. Would be ideal to have expiration dates via ignition key or computer authorization.

jlgrimes

09 Oct 2017

Zac wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Oh, that's a shame. That makes subscription unworkable for me. I don't mind tethering my phone to beta test but not for ever.
Well I'm not joining this one until you can use them offline. That said I don't know how other subscription packages work (Sonar, Pro Tools, Eastwest, Slate).

Zac

09 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I guess this can be a huge bummer if your setup is mobile or you don't have stable internet access. Would be ideal to have expiration dates via ignition key or computer authorization.
For sure, I was looking forward to Expanse, VK2 etc again.

Exowildebeest

09 Oct 2017

What kind of alien device isn't connected to the internet?

mataya

09 Oct 2017

And here it comes...

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
09 Oct 2017
What kind of alien device isn't connected to the internet?
1. Sometimes your internet just goes down. So now you can't open your project from yesterday.
2. Sometimes you are just in a place that has no internet.
3. Music on the go. You might not want to tether.
4. While travelling. You most definitely don't want to tether.
5. You just don't like being connected to the internet while making music (old skool habits).

Resonator

09 Oct 2017

Wow, that sucks. I had a feeling that there would be some issues with this. They really need to elaborate on this whole thing instead of making us the guinea pig. Also, there's no incentives like Roland Cloud where they offer 1 free plugin of your choice for every 12 months of being subscribed. Would've been nice if Props had done the same.

chimp_spanner

09 Oct 2017

mataya wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I've selected my subscription devices, downloaded them and found out that you can use them only if you're online.
So this is just a paid trial, right?
I think this should be on the props page with big red letters across the page.
I was excited about Reason at first, but I'm beginning to realize why is this company always on the lower part of the list's.

Feels like they wanna steal something from me.

I expect to see soldiers defending them as usual, but would really like to know what other people think about this.

tx
M
I mean, Slate Digital allows you to run the plugins offline. BUT you're forced to use iLok and you need to re-sync online every 30 days. I can imagine people would be just as unhappy with PH about that if they got caught out on a long trip or a gig and had forgotten to sync. *shrugs* No system is gonna suit everyone tbh. Of course it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here. This is the first iteration ya know.

Impodiam

10 Oct 2017

I definitely Can see why this is an issue for some people, Personally not myself as I use Reason with WiFi but for someone on the run, this is a deal-breaker. Wonder if props can find a solution to allow offline usage without using a dongle, like Splice for example with Serum.

steff3

10 Oct 2017

when it comes to subscription adobe gets a lot of negative comments - but this is where adobe shines IMHO. (you do not need to be connected, you get warnings rhat you need to connect again within the next couple of days, etc.)
yeah, they should fix that. but - does anyone know if Reason checks only during app start-up or also while running?

thanks,
best

kimothebeatmaker

10 Oct 2017

Yeah PHs been messing up lately. Theres been alot more negative feedback from their community as of late, than I remember them ever having. They always had a very positive image and great client feedback....Idk whats changed at their admin level, but it's not good.
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

normen

10 Oct 2017

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
10 Oct 2017
Yeah PHs been messing up lately. Theres been alot more negative feedback from their community as of late, than I remember them ever having. They always had a very positive image and great client feedback....Idk whats changed at their admin level, but it's not good.
Lol, too obvious - nobody else talked generally about the Props - learn t be more subversive ;)

theshoemaker

10 Oct 2017

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
10 Oct 2017
I'd say reasontalk is just some "whatever" core community who loves to share. I highly doubt it is all customers they have
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Oquasec

10 Oct 2017

Offline producing is the way to go.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Pi5cEan

10 Oct 2017

Great, I knew the other shoe was going to drop. They should consider having monthly RE checks or something similar.. Just one day per month where it verifies you are paying your 'rent' & then they leave you the **** alone for 30 days. Taking a laptop to the park & spacing out with beatmaking is one of my favorite ways to use Reason, and no, I don't get WiFi there. I'm sure as hell not going tether just to use my devices, I don't care if that's too 'alien' for someone to understand lol . A shame, because I love the fact that you can swap out REs.. hopefully they fix this, as I don't see how they'd be getting screwed over/lose revenue by just having a monthly 'check-in' for the subscription devices.

Sheesh, always something..

Kenni
Site Admin

10 Oct 2017

To me, this is just a result of "The internet" being what it is today.

To me, it seems bad manners is spreading in general, and people seldom just keep quiet. They have to say something.
kimothebeatmaker wrote:
10 Oct 2017
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

normen

10 Oct 2017

Kenni wrote:
10 Oct 2017

To me, it seems bad manners is spreading in general, and people seldom just keep quiet. They have to say something.
Saying something negative makes you sound smarter than saying something positive - its a fact some people don't seem to realize draws them to criticize things :)

Kenni
Site Admin

10 Oct 2017

I think you have a point. :)
normen wrote:
10 Oct 2017
Kenni wrote:
10 Oct 2017

Saying something negative makes you sound smarter than saying something positive - its a fact some people don't seem to realize draws them to criticize things :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information