PH makes subscriptions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
exxx

09 Oct 2017

Existing users have bought the rack, and the new rack will probably come out slowly

New users will have to subscribe to the subscription at the end of the subscription period or to save an existing save file.

Because it will be replaced with another instrument.

Ignoring or losing existing users' loyalty

Similar to making Europa and abandoning Parsec.

reason has been maintained with high loyalty of fixed fan irrespective of performance.

Use a strategy that sincerely ignores it.

I told PH that the re-spire on the market is not working properly.

PH tells the manufacturer to tell the instability of the re-spire

I think the current version of re-sprie should not come on the market.

It has been unstable for too long.

There is a problem of pretending not to know this problem.

Is not PH the market operator?

And the re-spire is also available for subscription.
Last edited by exxx on 09 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

steff3

09 Oct 2017

Well, will be interesting how rent and buy will be handled.

If you subscribed a RE can you still buy it? - or you have to wait until the renting period is over? If you can buy it, will it be smooth (not accidentally removed at the time you remove it from the subscription pack)?

Principally I think it is a nice alternative which might give one the opportunity to test REs for several months and see how often one uses it before buying. Also I guess it might generate sales as for some REs users will end up buying them to really have them in their collection (as they used them in projects etc.).

Not a fan of subscriptions in general, but this seems quite reasonable ... (hmmm, REASONable?)

Just my 2 cents
best

miscend

09 Oct 2017

pongasoft wrote:
09 Oct 2017
As a reminder, you also do not really own any RE you buy... Because of DRM, if Propellerhead closes their doors (or more specifically shutdowns their servers) tomorrow you won't be able to use the software that you purchased anymore...
When other companies have gone out of business in the past they have given out their customers permanent licence keys. Hopefully Props will be able to work some sort of permanent activation for customers if they were ever to go bust.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

09 Oct 2017

MirEko wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Sorped wrote:
09 Oct 2017

Don't fret, it's all good :puf_smile:
Yeah it's all good now, but if props go subscription on Reason I will be a sad panda.
The RE subscriptions don't replace buying REs. Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason? Is that where the fear comes from? Or is it something else? Would it be OK if you could either subscribe or buy? Just trying to understand the feedback :)

nbot

09 Oct 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason? Is that where the fear comes from?
For me precisely this, but who cares about newbie anyway :-p

joeyluck

09 Oct 2017

bxbrkrz wrote:
09 Oct 2017
My post Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm
viewtopic.php?p=354471#p354471

I was right. It's a logical move. Choices.
Here's my post from 07-03-2012 :geek:
Just a couple weeks after Reason 6.5 with Rack Extensions was released
About time they did it! ;)

Even then when I went into detail (in that thread and others; included a poll) about it being optional and it wouldn't replace regular purchases, some people still got upset about the idea. Some have this idea for whatever reason that it has to replace something rather than be additional way to get REs...

RE-Subscription.jpg
RE-Subscription.jpg (271.4 KiB) Viewed 4973 times

Lov2sing

09 Oct 2017

After all the RE’s I have purchased they do this. Wow this not right for us that have invested a lot into this. It’s like they already should give away a PH RE for those that have purchased Radical Piano but that’s no gonna happen either. Oh well it’s a doggy dog world. Thanks :puf_unhappy:
We make music for a reason

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

09 Oct 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason?
I think Adobe is the source of all that anxiety because every other subscription model I can think of from Slate to Apple contains a purchase path if you prefer. But Adobe went all in on subscriptions and validated everyone's fear that it could happen, even if they're alone in doing so.

joeyluck

09 Oct 2017

Lov2sing wrote:
09 Oct 2017
After all the RE’s I have purchased they do this. Wow this not right for us that have invested a lot into this.
How does this take away from what you have purchased? Those who subscribe to something are either going to need to keep subscribing in order to use it or they will need to buy it, as you have done. Right now you have a rack full of REs you can keep using in projects without a subscription, and like everybody else, can take advantage of the subscription offer for when it makes sense for you. I don't see the negative here.

Ahornberg

09 Oct 2017

Does anyone know: Can I change the content of my subscription pack month by month?

chimp_spanner

09 Oct 2017

Lov2sing wrote:
09 Oct 2017
After all the RE’s I have purchased they do this. Wow this not right for us that have invested a lot into this. It’s like they already should give away a PH RE for those that have purchased Radical Piano but that’s no gonna happen either. Oh well it’s a doggy dog world. Thanks :puf_unhappy:
They haven't "done" anything to you, really. The RE's aren't suddenly free now. If you spend 400 EU on devices and someone else spends 9 EUs a month for 44 months, you've still spent the same amount of money ;) Yeah they might be switching up their subscription every month or two, but they lose access to the REs they remove *unless* they buy it the same as you did, in which case they've actually spent more money (the sub plus the full price of whatever they decide to keep).

I'm not pointing this out to rubbish the sub model - on the contrary I think it's actually a really good idea, especially for people who can't lay out a few hundred EU's on racks all at once. Just saying it's not really a matter of fairness or unfairness. It's just a different way to access the same content. It might seem like they're getting more for less but their use of the rack is dependent on continued payment. Yours is not. So it all balances out!

chimp_spanner

09 Oct 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Does anyone know: Can I change the content of my subscription pack month by month?
Yeah I just did it :) It just means you have to wait until the same date next month for the update to take place and gain access to anything new you've added to your package. Swapped out Papen's weird guitar thingy for a multi-band side chainer. Which I feel will probably be more useful haha.

Ahornberg

09 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Yeah I just did it :) It just means you have to wait until the same date next month for the update to take place and gain access to anything new you've added to your package. Swapped out Papen's weird guitar thingy for a multi-band side chainer. Which I feel will probably be more useful haha.
Sounds fine, thanks!

Zac

09 Oct 2017

I haven't done a collaboration song in a long while and haven't really used Allihoopa yet. Hmm, having Europa, Grain and now the option to have REs in common with other users for a small outlay makes collaboration much more inviting again I think. More so than Allihoopa did (as a Reason user rather than being into the mobile apps).

satyr32

09 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I think it is inevitable that they will go full subscription for Reason, but they'll do it slowly. First RE bundles, then RE with Reason bundles, then finally only RE with Reason bundles.
Unfortunately this will happen. It is the most profitable business model for a company.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

fica

09 Oct 2017

steff3 wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Well, will be interesting how rent and buy will be handled.

If you subscribed a RE can you still buy it? - or you have to wait until the renting period is over? If you can buy it, will it be smooth (not accidentally removed at the time you remove it from the subscription pack)?

Principally I think it is a nice alternative which might give one the opportunity to test REs for several months and see how often one uses it before buying. Also I guess it might generate sales as for some REs users will end up buying them to really have them in their collection (as they used them in projects etc.).

Not a fan of subscriptions in general, but this seems quite reasonable ... (hmmm, REASONable?)

Just my 2 cents
best
Hello, I'm Filip from PH. You are able to buy your REs anytime, no need to wait for your subscription period to end. And for now, you need to manually remove a product from your subscription if you buy it (if you wish), and it will not disappear, I promise! Thanks!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
09 Oct 2017
MirEko wrote:
09 Oct 2017

Yeah it's all good now, but if props go subscription on Reason I will be a sad panda.
The RE subscriptions don't replace buying REs. Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason? Is that where the fear comes from? Or is it something else? Would it be OK if you could either subscribe or buy? Just trying to understand the feedback :)
Yes that's where the fear comes from. As long as there will always be an option to buy the standard way (REs and upgrades) then it's all good. The fear (for me) is that in a couple of years it will be replaced with a subscription only in order to get the upgrades. I would hate if that happened and if it did I would consider looking elsewhere for my DAW of choice. Please don't take that route. Basically it comes down to not wanting to continuously pay for something if I don't know what I'll get beforehand. It's a matter of feeling in control of where your money is spent.

That's how I feel at least.

Thanks for listening to our feedback.

fica

09 Oct 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Yes. After 30 days with one selection, you are able to get access to a different selection. During these 30 days, you can play around with different selections in your Subscribe-o-meter, and the last one that you have committed when the 30 days have passed is the one you're gonna have for the next 30 days. Makes sense?

joeyluck

09 Oct 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Yup! Read more here: https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/10/prop ... on-option/

Users can subscribe to one of three plans, priced at $9, $19 and $29 per month. Each plan can be filled with Rack Extensions up to a value of $400, $1000 and $3000 respectively. You sign up for a minimum of 30 days. After 30 days, your Subscription is unlocked and you can get access to new plugins. Every time you exchange the plugins in your subscription, you have another 30 days until you can change again. If you want immediate access new products, you can always upgrade your Subscription to a bigger plan, even if 30 days have not passed since you last made a change.

joeyluck

09 Oct 2017

fica wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Yes. After 30 days with one selection, you are able to get access to a different selection. During these 30 days, you can play around with different selections in your Subscribe-o-meter, and the last one that you have committed when the 30 days have passed is the one you're gonna have for the next 30 days. Makes sense?
Beat me to it! Hi Filip! :puf_smile:

Ahornberg

09 Oct 2017

fica wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Yes, thanks! And the 1st 30 days should be the trial period :cool:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
09 Oct 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason?
I think Adobe is the source of all that anxiety because every other subscription model I can think of from Slate to Apple contains a purchase path if you prefer. But Adobe went all in on subscriptions and validated everyone's fear that it could happen, even if they're alone in doing so.
You're right, this is where the anxiety comes from. There's always that possiblity... Also you guys at Propellerhead are not exactly known for letting us know beforehand what steps you're taking next. So how should we know what to worry about? If you would be more transparent with where Reason was headed then we wouldn't have to guess and imagine all the potential scenarios that could happen.

I understand you don't want to give away everything beforehand, but major changes like this are kind of a big deal, at least if they take a direction we don't like and are forced into some new system we don't want.

Looking forward to upgrade to Reason 10 btw. Looks great judging from the live streams. I won't subscribe my way to the next upgrade though :)

fica

09 Oct 2017

joeyluck wrote:
09 Oct 2017
fica wrote:
09 Oct 2017

Beat me to it! Hi Filip! :puf_smile:
Hi Joey! :)

chimp_spanner

09 Oct 2017

I guess just remember to demo things first! Because they'll eat into your sub allowance and if it's not what you really want/need you'll have to wait until you can free up space (or move up to the next plan). But yeah I'm using Vecto right now on subscription. I'll get it when I can comfortably afford to but for now I'm using it in a project, *and* it just inspired a whole new idea so that's awesome haha.

eusti

09 Oct 2017

satyr32 wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I think it is inevitable that they will go full subscription for Reason, but they'll do it slowly. First RE bundles, then RE with Reason bundles, then finally only RE with Reason bundles.
Unfortunately this will happen. It is the most profitable business model for a company.
If this happens I will not upgrade any further. Didn't subscribe to Photoshop Cloud stuff either...

D.

• Information