Reason is going DOWN HILL FAST - Zero CARE about Efficiency anymore.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
etyrnal2

07 Oct 2017

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 12.57.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 12.57.28 PM.png (630.25 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Can only play 8 notes. There's NOTHING else in the arrangement.

Can't make ACTUAL MUSIC this way.

When you use 99% of the CPU to get a .01% "improvement" in sound synthesis WHICH is not detectable by 99.98% of the population, you're making BAD resource management choices.

EIGHT HYPER-THREADING XEON CORES. 16GB RAM

This is B.S.

ZEROother devices in rack.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :re: :adapted: :ignition: :essentials: :refill: :rebirth:

esselfortium

07 Oct 2017

Are you having this problem with other synths, or only with Spire?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2017

Not sure if this is a Reason problem or a ReSpire problem.

I don't think any other Reason synth behaves like this.

When I first tried ReSpire upon its release it was buggy as hell. I couldn't even play a single automation curve in the sequencer without my computer stuttering away and that was with one instance of ReSpire and nothing else. Very few things were automatable which basically just made it a preset machine that you couldn't automate.
I think some issues has been fixed since then but they obviously released an unfinished product with several bugs and issues. Not sure how it's working right now. Apparently not very good.

I'm just glad I didn't click buy because of the massive hype around it together with the cheap intro price.

Well good luck. Hopefully Reveal Sound fix their product.

theshoemaker

07 Oct 2017

This is a respire issue! I can bring down my Mid 2012 mac with only 1 instance. That has nothing to do with Reason. I'm currently running Reason 10 beta with Europa and Grain flawlessly. And this is the debug logging build! Which is far more inefficient.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Marc64

07 Oct 2017

ReSpire is a buggy cpu hog. Yes is sounds great but it is unusable til they fixed that problem...
The vst version works much better...

Oquasec

07 Oct 2017

Might just be the developer. They are brand new to the RE platform, so I am not surprised.
You guys bought it early so when it does [if it does] get fixed you have it already.

I'll just wait till it gets fixed, I needed to save for europa & Grain.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

etyrnal

07 Oct 2017

esselfortium wrote:Are you having this problem with other synths, or only with Spire?
Respire is the worst. But the principle holds true for most devices that are not propellerhead devices. So many of them seem to take incredible liberties with processing power resources.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

etyrnal

07 Oct 2017

Marc64 wrote:ReSpire is a buggy cpu hog. Yes is sounds great but it is unusable til they fixed that problem...
The vst version works much better...
I've never heard respire produce any kind of sound whatsoever that a propellerhead device or combination of devices couldn't easily produce.

dana

07 Oct 2017

Its easy enough to max out other synths on their maximum quality settings.

VSTs like Softube Modular also kill the cpu on certain presets. ReSpire is one of those, whether VST or RE. Its nothing to do with Propellerhead Reason.

I posted a pic of my overclocked 5960x with a pad with 16 note polyphony using almost all the cpu cores in the ReSpire thread.

So don't worry about it and just use the bounce in place functionality and get on with your music making.

Also, a lot of the spire presets are fine and are quite low cpu. Its mainly the pads.

platzangst

07 Oct 2017

etyrnal wrote:
07 Oct 2017
Respire is the worst. But the principle holds true for most devices that are not propellerhead devices. So many of them seem to take incredible liberties with processing power resources.
etyrnal wrote:
07 Oct 2017
I've never heard respire produce any kind of sound whatsoever that a propellerhead device or combination of devices couldn't easily produce.
Really, it sounds like your issue isn't with Reason itself but with the makers of REs. I don't know how you can say it's Reason going downhill when you say that Propellerhead devices aren't using as much CPU and they can do anything Respire can do.

EDIT: Wait, hold on. We've got two "Etyrnal"s... if these are different folks, nevermind.

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2017

etyrnal wrote:
07 Oct 2017
Still not understanding what this has got to do with Reason and caring about efficiency :? ReSpire has "9x unison voices on each oscillator," so when you are pressing 5 note chords, ReSpire is actually playing 45 notes.

A device may be using oversampling, which won't give produce a distinctly different sound by itself, but will result in a significant reduction in aliasing. There may be other choices made by an RE or VST developer that produces a 0.01% increase in sound "quality" but requires 8x as much DSP.

But there's nothing Reason or any other DAW can do to make that run any faster.

Code is executed by the CPU, not Reason.

Karim
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2017

I own a Mac early 2008 3.1 . 2x quadcore intel Xeon 2.8 Ghz with OSX Yosemite . It absolutely works smoothly. Maybe is a Respire problem (I own the Vst and the RE version..) and I guarantee for sure that you don't need patches e.g.pads with 16 voices.
You reduce the voices, you reduce the Cpu workload A LOT.
On the other Mac based on I7 quadcore with 4.0 ghz turbo boost Reason is simply FANTASTIC..

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

EdGrip

08 Oct 2017

This thread, after all the discussion of ReSpire being an awful CPU hog.

Also, make sure your ReSpire is up to date.

etyrnal

08 Oct 2017

EdGrip wrote:This thread, after all the discussion of ReSpire being an awful CPU hog.

Also, make sure your ReSpire is up to date.
It is up to date. And it used to be that reason was just reason and the propellerhead devices. But that's not what it is anymore. It's an entire ecosystem. I kind of feel like propellerhead should have some sort of vetting process for devices. If propellerhead wants to protect their image, and their reputation, and their music workstation environment, almost feels like they should have a process whereby they approve devices for the store. They run it through some tests, and if a device creates such terrible performance that it could make reason look bad, the device either has to go back to the drawing board, or is not permitted. It's just ridiculous to have a single device that can single-handedly take down the computer's ability to play music. It just should not be the case that a single instance of a rack extension or a VST should be unplayable with a six note cord.

miscend

08 Oct 2017

Are you getting better performance with VK2 and Expanse?

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2017

etyrnal wrote:
08 Oct 2017
... they should have a process whereby they approve devices for the store. They run it through some tests, and if a device creates such terrible performance ...
The problem with that etyrnal, is that many people desire those devices.

Clearly you are frustrated and unimpressed with the device, but that is what the demo is for.

It doesn't make sense to just buy a product without trying it out that you can try for free. It's $69 now but it used to be $189. That's a lot to fork out and not even bother to try the demo.

Aosta

08 Oct 2017

I got Respire on trial a few days ago and have the same problems as others, munches CPU like Bugs Bunny munches carrots.
Never seen 'computer too slow' ever with a single instrument and a single patch before.
I can edit 4K video on my PC yet I can't play a single note on a softsynth?
Tend the flame

Ahornberg

08 Oct 2017

They wrote in the Props shop: "Please install and test ReSpire demo Before purchase. Some presets may consume a lot of CPU. We are working on optimized version. Thanks for your support!"

Ahornberg

08 Oct 2017

Im on an erderly Windows laptop (i7-4700HQ, 4 cores, 2.4GHz) ... I'm now demoing ReSpire and I use the 2 patches shown in the picture above with playing 4 notes on each. By setting the number of voices to 8 (on top of the ReSpire GUI) I can play this in a loop and the DSP meter shows 4 bars. If I set the number of voices to 12 on both of the Respire devices I'm un 5 bars in the DSP meter. But by setting the number of voices to 16 I get audio dropouts. If the number of voices is set to 4 then I get 3 bars in the DSP meter. Maybe because of this Blamsoft's VK-2 only has 6 voices.

Ahornberg

08 Oct 2017

addendum: by muting the effects on the back panel the DPS load decreases significant!

Ahornberg

08 Oct 2017

addendum 2: and it depends on the patch ... e.g. with "PD_Deep_Chords" on 3 Respire devices each playing 4 notes the DSP meter reaches just 2 bars

Ahornberg

08 Oct 2017

conclusion: this reminds me on my old laptop (a Celeron with 2 cores) where I could play the Diva VST only monophonic.

So, now enough ReSpire'd because I'm tired of it's backpanel that has nothing to offer than the note and gate CV inputs.

chimp_spanner

08 Oct 2017

As others have said the problem is ReSpire. I can't play more than 3 or 4 notes on a single instance of most patches without my CPU freaking out, and this is on a laptop that - while old - regularly handles projects with one or two VK2s, a few Antidotes, Superior Drummer 2, several instances of Kontakt and Guitar Rig 5 etc. etc.

I know it's fashionable to assume that Reason is somehow the problem but in this instance, it really isn't ;)

Biolumin3sc3nt

09 Oct 2017

Did this advice help you out etyrnal2?? Chime back in

JoshuaPhilgarlic

09 Oct 2017

I think it's a problem of REs in general — that's my personal experience so far: REs and VSTs are more CPU demanding than Reason's built-in devices. Some developers may be better or more experienced in optimizing than others, but in general that's my observation. I just tested Europa and Grain — which are pretty complex but coded directly into Reason — and even if I play lots of notes with the weirdest sounds, the CPU meter just shakes a little between one and two bars (and that's using the logging Beta = slower by default!). In most REs this is normal behaviour — for just one or two notes! Even though I bought a lot of REs in the past, I tend to use stock devices now, just because I get more out of them without any headache.
Last edited by JoshuaPhilgarlic on 09 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

• Information