Trust - my 2nd RE is in the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Speo
RE Developer

06 Oct 2017

Hehehey there guys!

I feel bad for showing up only 2 times a year when a project of mine releases. You guys have been very supportive and have given me some super constructive feedback. I'll make time to be more active on Reasontalk in the future.

Anyway, Trust is out! It's a small, specialized polyphonic synth based on a single sine-wave oscillator with minimal controls. It's designed to be quick and fun, and relies on other devices in the Rack if complexity is what you're after.

If you're wondering what the "Cypher" part is all about: that should become clearer in the coming weeks, as more specialized instrument devices join Trust in the shop, which rely on the same backbone of code.

This project is a first for me in many different aspects, and has been a learning experience in many different ways. I hope you try out Trust with an open mind as I continue to learn about the many aspects of creating software instruments.

Feedback, thoughts, comments, inquiries, complaints, I'll be happy to answer all of them here :)

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/

KirkMarkarian

06 Oct 2017

Just perfect. Tried it, made the sounds I wanted to with it, bought it. If you add anything, please add an attack knob. Makes perfect piano sounds, could make perfect pad sounds. Just too damn good to pass up, seriously. Thank you!

Edit: In addition to being pretty much perfect, I want to say it's begun to replace my Parsec patches for simple FM keyboard sounds, both in sound and CPU usage.

Another thing, maybe - is it possible to have a low resolution switch on the back? Give it a lo-fi sound and use up even less CPU. I mean, this synth is immediately replacing patches on my Parsec AND my RYM2612 - perfect keyboard FM.

Speo
RE Developer

06 Oct 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:
06 Oct 2017
... If you add anything, please add an attack knob. Makes perfect piano sounds, could make perfect pad sounds. Just too damn good to pass up, seriously. Thank you!
Noted! In an effort for every bit of optimization I omitted an attack option, but I see the potential. Will give it another go.
KirkMarkarian wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Another thing, maybe - is it possible to have a low resolution switch on the back?
I like the creative implications of that even more than the low cpu switch. Will give it a go! Appreciate your words, super happy you're finding use for Trust!

chimp_spanner

06 Oct 2017

Like it dude! Surprisingly versatile given the small feature set, and just the right price tbh (plus it has CV inputs which is super rare for cheaper racks). This approach is very much in the spirit of hardware such as the Korg Monotron and even the Volcas. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other devices in Cypher do, and what approach you take with them.

One small request; either a front panel control or a rear trim pot for the mod/vibrato speed would be nice!

KirkMarkarian

06 Oct 2017

Speo wrote:
06 Oct 2017
KirkMarkarian wrote:
06 Oct 2017
... If you add anything, please add an attack knob. Makes perfect piano sounds, could make perfect pad sounds. Just too damn good to pass up, seriously. Thank you!
Noted! In an effort for every bit of optimization I omitted an attack option, but I see the potential. Will give it another go.
KirkMarkarian wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Another thing, maybe - is it possible to have a low resolution switch on the back?
I like the creative implications of that even more than the low cpu switch. Will give it a go! Appreciate your words, super happy you're finding use for Trust!
Excellent! I only mention the low CPU versus low resolution knob to see how much more I can squeeze out of this synth - I'm running two right now on a 2012 Mac Mini. It's not pushing the CPU at all, Kong / Kratos and some other mixing stuff is doing most of the CPU push, but for certain piano sounds, I can easily do without the high-end, if a low CPU switch is available. Taking it down to 22050 or 11025 - warm, lo-fi, vaporwave-ish.

One other thing I noticed - you've nearly answered my request for an FM drum synthesizer. I mean, I can make bass drum sounds with this, AND punchy bass sounds. I don't think asking for more FM in this case would really be useful, but if you're pushing out a myriad of tiny devices...

Heck, you could pop 4 of these synths into one rack, same height same, width. Take out the ability to play chromatically, and ramp up the modulation levels. The reason I suggest this is because of the punchiness of this synth in particular - I've never had this level of snap right off the bat. Yes, I can create those sounds in other FM synths, but if you're using a single sine osc. with modulation options - this is the Max/MSP "sound" territory I keep pushing for. It's an FM dream.

In any case, I'm so damn happy with this synth - Parsec has literally been my go-to for the FM sounds I want to make, because it's EASY. This is EASIER!!! And, it sounds great.

KirkMarkarian

06 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Like it dude! Surprisingly versatile given the small feature set, and just the right price tbh (plus it has CV inputs which is super rare for cheaper racks). This approach is very much in the spirit of hardware such as the Korg Monotron and even the Volcas. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other devices in Cypher do, and what approach you take with them.

One small request; either a front panel control or a rear trim pot for the mod/vibrato speed would be nice!
Yeah, that'd be super - I wasn't going to push this point, because I'm just seeing it as a characteristic, but if'n you're going to modify it :D

Speo
RE Developer

06 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
06 Oct 2017

Thanks man! Rear trim pot for vibrato speed would be neat, I agree!
KirkMarkarian wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Heck, you could pop 4 of these synths into one rack, same height same, width. Take out the ability to play chromatically, and ramp up the modulation levels. The reason I suggest this is because of the punchiness of this synth in particular - I've never had this level of snap right off the bat. Yes, I can create those sounds in other FM synths, but if you're using a single sine osc. with modulation options - this is the Max/MSP "sound" territory I keep pushing for. It's an FM dream.

In any case, I'm so damn happy with this synth - Parsec has literally been my go-to for the FM sounds I want to make, because it's EASY. This is EASIER!!! And, it sounds great.
I like this idea, but it blows the scope of Trust. This modular FM synth approach is definitely exciting though! I'm super happy the easy nature of Trust connected with you!

Speo
RE Developer

06 Oct 2017

joeyluck wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Congrats on the release! I really like this one :D

Pairs very nicely with Frame CV I might add.
Thank you! Also, thanks again for your invaluable feedback during development!

joeyluck

06 Oct 2017

Speo wrote:
06 Oct 2017
joeyluck wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Congrats on the release! I really like this one :D

Pairs very nicely with Frame CV I might add.
Thank you! Also, thanks again for your invaluable feedback during development!
Always happy to help :puf_smile:

KirkMarkarian

06 Oct 2017

Trust in action - all melodic portions with Trust, drums with Kong synthesis only:

Bumbum

06 Oct 2017

Really nice UI, very "outrun".
Have to agree about the Lofi knob ,it would be nice

MirEko

07 Oct 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Trust in action - all melodic portions with Trust, drums with Kong synthesis only:
Very nice work ! really like this
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2017

I love the concept and the simplicity of this device.
Though after tweaking it for a while I simply didn't get a tone/character that inspired me that much. Adding effects to enhance an instrument is fine but in general I need to get into the original sound first for me to pull the trigger on a synth.
If I need to add too many additional effects to a synth then the point of simplicity gets lost a bit. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the product.

Having said that I'll definitely see what those upcoming REs is about that you mentioned, because I do like simple devices that gets to the point quickly. Maybe the next one is for me.

Speo
RE Developer

07 Oct 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
07 Oct 2017
I love the concept and the simplicity of this device.
Though after tweaking it for a while I simply didn't get a tone/character that inspired me that much. Adding effects to enhance an instrument is fine but in general I need to get into the original sound first for me to pull the trigger on a synth.
If I need to add too many additional effects to a synth then the point of simplicity gets lost a bit. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the product.

Having said that I'll definitely see what those upcoming REs is about that you mentioned, because I do like simple devices that gets to the point quickly. Maybe the next one is for me.
I appreciate this feedback a lot! I try to make these Cypher devices good at getting you a particular sound quickly, so it's less about how you use the instrument than about which instrument you use. I considered bundling up the release of the first couple of devices to emphasize this, but I really dislike sitting on finished projects ;)

KirkMarkarian

07 Oct 2017

MirEko wrote:
07 Oct 2017
KirkMarkarian wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Very nice work ! really like this
Thank you very much!

MirEko

10 Oct 2017

Why does this RE need 9 or higher??
:( :cry:

Speo
RE Developer

10 Oct 2017

MirEko wrote:
10 Oct 2017
During the development of the backbone of code that Trust runs on, I wanted to keep sample integration as a possibility. Trust itself does not make use of any new SDK functionality, but I lost sight of the fact that I should have switched SDK for Trust. I'm really sorry you can't use it.

MirEko

10 Oct 2017

Speo wrote:
10 Oct 2017
MirEko wrote:
10 Oct 2017
During the development of the backbone of code that Trust runs on, I wanted to keep sample integration as a possibility. Trust itself does not make use of any new SDK functionality, but I lost sight of the fact that I should have switched SDK for Trust. I'm really sorry you can't use it.
That's a pity for 7 users, luckily I just upgraded for 10 so can now use all the RE's :mrgreen:

Goan

16 Oct 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Loving this! Would you mind sharing how you processed Trusts output?
Goan doesn't do Goa, he likes samples, weirdness, beats
Tools of choice: Reason, iPad, MicroBrute
Listen: http://adamagon.bandcamp.com/album/the- ... e-remix-ep

KirkMarkarian

16 Oct 2017

Goan wrote:
16 Oct 2017
KirkMarkarian wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Sure! Glad you like the sound -

On the outputs of the Cypher, there are no effects units. On the entire mix, there are several.

The track starts off by being processed by the Audiomatic, and ends with the Kuassa Kratos 2

I wanted a specific, lower fidelity sound, so I use the Lab-One Executioner mixer to give an initial mid-90's "Roland SP-303" sampler sound. Then I run that through a Scream distortion with a tape setting. I also have the FutzBox adding some additional 22k, 12-bit characteristics, along with some noise. For reverb, I'm using the kHs reverb, and for delay, I'm using Reason's "The Echo".

For an immediate lower-fidelity character, I'd just slap a Scream on the synth to give it a tapey sound.

The Cypher's settings are:

Excite: 42
FM: 18
Zap: 0
Snap: 62
Release: 40

Adjust volume to taste

The way I process my mix is unorthodox. I was specifically modeling my sound after various cassette tape recorders that I've used in the past, as I was aiming for that ultra-saturated, low-quality sound.

MirEko

17 Oct 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:
16 Oct 2017
Goan wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Sure! Glad you like the sound -

On the outputs of the Cypher, there are no effects units. On the entire mix, there are several.

The track starts off by being processed by the Audiomatic, and ends with the Kuassa Kratos 2

I wanted a specific, lower fidelity sound, so I use the Lab-One Executioner mixer to give an initial mid-90's "Roland SP-303" sampler sound. Then I run that through a Scream distortion with a tape setting. I also have the FutzBox adding some additional 22k, 12-bit characteristics, along with some noise. For reverb, I'm using the kHs reverb, and for delay, I'm using Reason's "The Echo".

For an immediate lower-fidelity character, I'd just slap a Scream on the synth to give it a tapey sound.

The Cypher's settings are:

Excite: 42
FM: 18
Zap: 0
Snap: 62
Release: 40

Adjust volume to taste

The way I process my mix is unorthodox. I was specifically modeling my sound after various cassette tape recorders that I've used in the past, as I was aiming for that ultra-saturated, low-quality sound.
Thanks! Im missing the lab one mixer, but will try a trident or at3 in its place.
Also missing the futzbox but have the decimort to replace that.
Thanks for sharing your settings!

EnochLight

21 Oct 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:
16 Oct 2017
Well, you did a fantastic job accomplishing that - seriously - it sounds fantastically retro tapey! I thought you were using CRAPRE2 at first, but man - I dunno', it just sounds awesome. Well done, man!

*EDIT - seriously, this track is like Boards of Canada and Portishead had a bastard love child back in '96. LOVE IT!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KirkMarkarian

21 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
21 Oct 2017
KirkMarkarian wrote:
16 Oct 2017
Well, you did a fantastic job accomplishing that - seriously - it sounds fantastically retro tapey! I thought you were using CRAPRE2 at first, but man - I dunno', it just sounds awesome. Well done, man!

*EDIT - seriously, this track is like Boards of Canada and Portishead had a bastard love child back in '96. LOVE IT!
Thank you very much for the kind words! I do have Crapre, and I've used it on other tracks, but it is not always an easy-to-to mix effect. I found another trick to get a super lo-fi sound is to use 2 Scream effects, both set to tape, in-line. Set the first one to low speed, set the second to regular, both with full compression. For their EQ, both would need higher bass (not full on, but enough to boost), and then the mid/high can cascade down to taste. Slam it into a limiter, just like a cassette recorder and you will have a very lo-fi sound. Oh, and most importantly, each should only be between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock. Not too high, or they over-saturate!

EnochLight

21 Oct 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:
21 Oct 2017
Thank you very much for the kind words! I do have Crapre, and I've used it on other tracks, but it is not always an easy-to-to mix effect. I found another trick to get a super lo-fi sound is to use 2 Scream effects, both set to tape, in-line. Set the first one to low speed, set the second to regular, both with full compression. For their EQ, both would need higher bass (not full on, but enough to boost), and then the mid/high can cascade down to taste. Slam it into a limiter, just like a cassette recorder and you will have a very lo-fi sound. Oh, and most importantly, each should only be between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock. Not too high, or they over-saturate!
Great tips. Would you be averse to sharing a song file example with this setup? I don't mean to digress from Speo's thread, so please PM me if you're open to that.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information