Player key algorithm fine tuning to Ochen tuner.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Re8et
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2017

Player key algorithm when combined, follow a curve that is slightly different from Ochen tuner, in practice
there is a different key root switching between them when applied the same cv. They are not matched.

i.e. the Ochen cv tuner has a narrower root key sensitivity.
I tried scaling down the input with thor but it did not work.
I can only think of math equation for quantizing the cv, that it might help.
I also tried the PSQ quantizer, that can apply some constant but it did not work. It came near,

Set range to maximum and -48 offset gets the key almost dead center. PSQ Quantization worked. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Still wondering if it this possible in thor, my guess is not..

Ahornberg

06 Oct 2017

The Player goes from C up to B and Microtune goes from A up to G#.
I put both in a Combinator and set the same knob to Key in the Player and to RootNote in MicroTune and it goes synchronous but always a minor third apart.
One soultion might be (if you don't use that much different tunings in MicroTune) to shift the tuning inside MicroTune by turning the tune knobs to let the tuning start at C instead of A.

Ahornberg

06 Oct 2017

ANother soultion might be to transpose the note CV value that goies into MicroTune down 3 semitones and after it comes out transpose it back up 3 semitones (or using a splitter before transposing down because the only thing you need from MicroTune is the PitchBend output). I think this can be done by the transposing function of the Combinator (have not tried this yet).

Ahornberg

06 Oct 2017

One thing that comes in my mind is that when you use the chord function in the Player and run that chords through MicroTuner you will not get the expected results because MicroTuner uses PichBend to do the microtonal tuning and this will detune all notes of a chord with the same amount. To use MicroTune with a polyphonic input it's nessesary to split the chords into monophonic CV signals, e.g. by using Blamsoft's Distributor and apply a MicroTuner to each output and then route each microtuned CV+PitchBend signal to a separate synth.

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2017

Euclid and Matrix has this problem too, It's almost impossible to synchronize the Matrix note to the pitch of Euclid. I will try the transposing function, I haven't yet done it. Starting mono, polyphonic can wait at the moment.
I am not sure how to get it sorted. It would be easy if I would use written down midi notes, that way I can't go wrong and can go on with my workflow. The quantization method was applied to Ochen CV tuner, not MIcrotuner.
I'm certain this can be a common dilemma and that can be further commplicated by the pitch bend composition.

Ahornberg

06 Oct 2017

Oh, I have mistaken MicroTune with CV Tuner.

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2017

If Euclid is enabled to receive notes from the combinator, and the combinator is fed by the Matrix, it works, but using the Rotary, it won't. It goes out-scale.
EDIT. It works correctly. I had made a mistake, I was referring to a song I was making and I did not notice the rotary was not set to zero point :? Matrix-Euclid
Last edited by Re8et on 06 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
06 Oct 2017
It's interesting to see your point of view, and I've raised interest in the MIcrotuner too.

Ahornberg

06 Oct 2017

Re8et wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
06 Oct 2017
It's interesting to see your point of view, and I've raised interest in the MIcrotuner too.
Really!

Actually I don't use it because of the setup needed to play polyphonic.
I also found another way to microtonality by using synths like Thor, NN-XT, Parsec and others with a "KbdTrk" knob for the oscillators.

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2017

Please Arhonberg, have a look at my patch, I got the idea from you, maybe you can adapt it to microtune as well, cheers.
Attachments
MELODY MICROTUNING MACHINE [janitor-CVtuner-Mopol-Distributor1].zip
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Ahornberg

07 Oct 2017

Re8et wrote:
06 Oct 2017
Please Arhonberg, have a look at my patch, I got the idea from you, maybe you can adapt it to microtune as well, cheers.
Thank you, but I'm not sure what it should do ... generate chords?

Re8et
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2017

Harmonies. The mode button is used to switch b/w harmony and scales. Switch the cvtuner for the microtuner or add one for each cv tuner. Chords can be generated as well.
Default set at C minor. Distributor set to Unison will play chords.

• Information