Expanse 3.0 Public Beta

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Blamsoft
RE Developer

04 Oct 2017

Introducing Expanse 3.0!

Expanse 3.0 adds some great enhancements to the synth that I’m sure you’ll enjoy. But don’t take my word for it. You are invited to participate in a public beta.

New features:
Envelopes:
Expanse now has a more powerful envelope editor mode for the envelopes. This mode allows you to make your own envelope by adding, removing, and adjusting stages. It features powerful modifier key combinations for editing. Here is a brief overview:
- Double-click to add or remove points
- Drag the lines to adjust the curve
- Drag the sustain point to the desired stage
- Shift drag to snap to a time increment
- Ctrl/Cmd drag to snap to a level
- Alt+shift drag to snap to triplets
- You can snap to both a time and level using both Shift and Ctrl/Cmd
- Shift drag on a curve adjusts the two adjacent points
- There are presets in an Alt-click menu

Wavetables:
You can now create a custom wavetable using the new envelope editor mode. You have an option of selecting envelopes in the waveform display and can set the morph mode. You can still use the envelopes in the classic mode even when their editor is used in a wavetable.

Mods:
There are several new mods available.
- Odd and Even harmonics modes adjust the harmonics of the waveform. Odd is sometimes called Squarify.
- A Pluck mode uses Karplus-Strong synthesis to create a plucked string sound. Be sure to turn up the noise in this mode. Pluck is in available in the Mod 3 menu.
- There is also FM and RM available from each of the oscillators including itself. FM, and RM are available in the Mod 3 menu.

Oscillator Spectral EQ:
A spectral EQ is available for each oscillator independently. You can draw a curve the same way as with the envelopes, creating your own filter curve. The EQ has frequency (offset) and depth (gain) modulation capability. You can route Keyboard to EQ offset to achieve a consistent mod. Check out the presets in the Alt-click menu for examples.

Minor Tweaks:
- Harmonics copy/paste/reset was added.
- In the classic envelopes, if you hold Alt+Shift while dragging the total time will stay the same while the shape changes. And you can use Ctrl/Cmd+Shift drag on the time display to change the total time without changing the shape.

If you would like to help with testing, please email info@blamsoft.com with your Propellerhead username. Use “Expanse Beta” as the subject. Even if you have been a tester with Blamsoft, please sign up again for this one. Please submit all bugs to info@blamsoft.com.

Expanse 3.0 will be a free upgrade for owners of Expanse.

(Beta software is not recommended for any critical work. Please back up all songs before opening them. You cannot downgrade once you receive a beta license.)
Last edited by Blamsoft on 09 Oct 2017, edited 6 times in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2017

:o

stratatonic

04 Oct 2017

Blamsoft wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Introducing Expanse 3.0!

Expanse 3.0 will be a free upgrade for owners of Expanse.
This Synth is a Beast!
And every Reason owner should own it - ESPECIALLY at the sale price on right now!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/
Attachments
Expanse79.jpeg
Expanse79.jpeg (208.21 KiB) Viewed 4520 times

Exowildebeest

04 Oct 2017

So it has begun... Expanse vs. Europa.

FIGHT!!

jayhosking

04 Oct 2017

Holy moly that's an update. Looking forward to using it! I appreciate the free update.

EdGrip

04 Oct 2017

!!! MEGASYNTH FIGHT !!!

Loque

05 Oct 2017

O. M. G.
Reason12, Win10

raymondh

05 Oct 2017

Fantastic news! Blamsoft's obvious commitment to the platform is a good reason to invest in all their synths (not just eXpanse).

Karim
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2017

Email sent!
[emoji16]

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
Last edited by Karim on 06 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

dhruan

05 Oct 2017

Wow! :D
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

alex

05 Oct 2017

This is an AWESOME update! I'm very excited, thank you Blamsoft! :thumbs_up:
Email sent! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Karim
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2017

I received the license succesfully and yet downloaded!

I go to lunch but today afternoon is "testing day"! XD XD!!
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

chimp_spanner

05 Oct 2017

It's great! Couple of small issues atm but I love the new mods, envelopes and oscillator cross modulation possibilities. Excellent update.

olive6741

05 Oct 2017

Email sent! Very excited! FM , Triplet snapping, Karplus-Strong, so much more ! It look like it was a great idea to finally get it... (I tell to myself) :)

EnochLight

05 Oct 2017

Expanse is probably my favorite RE-only synth, and Reason rack staple, ever since it was released. Blamsoft/eXode keep knocking the updates out of the park - very much looking forward to this (though I'll have to sit the beta out - plate is too full). ;) It's cool they're keeping it competitive and updating it, because R10 + Europa makes it complicated IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

05 Oct 2017

Yeah I mean now it has drawable (and morphable) tables it's very heavily into Europa territory, minus the spectral filtering. You know what'd really rock? Partial modifiers. Kinda like on Noxious or Parsec 2. Although I realise that's a huge ask and tbh I don't know if there's even room on the interface for it without fundamentally changing what the synth is.

alex

05 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
05 Oct 2017
Yeah I mean now it has drawable (and morphable) tables it's very heavily into Europa territory, minus the spectral filtering. You know what'd really rock? Partial modifiers. Kinda like on Noxious or Parsec 2. Although I realise that's a huge ask and tbh I don't know if there's even room on the interface for it without fundamentally changing what the synth is.
As far as I understand eXpanse 3.0 provides spectral EQ:
Oscillator Spectral EQ:
A spectral EQ is available for each oscillator independently. You can draw a curve the same way as with the envelopes, creating your own filter curve. The EQ has frequency (offset) and depth (gain) modulation capability.
which to me it sounds like spectral filtering... I could be wrong tho.
Spectral EQ + Harmonic Partials + Cross FM modulation .... oh boy...
Can't wait to put my hands on it! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

chimp_spanner

05 Oct 2017

alex wrote:
05 Oct 2017
chimp_spanner wrote:
05 Oct 2017
As far as I understand eXpanse 3.0 provides spectral EQ:
Oscillator Spectral EQ:
A spectral EQ is available for each oscillator independently. You can draw a curve the same way as with the envelopes, creating your own filter curve. The EQ has frequency (offset) and depth (gain) modulation capability.
which to me it sounds like spectral filtering... I could be wrong tho.
Spectral EQ + Harmonic Partials + Cross FM modulation .... oh boy...
Can't wait to put my hands on it! :)
Oh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Trying it out right now. I won't discuss too much as I'm not sure if we should keep details of the beta secret! :lol:

*Edit: tried it. Okay this is awesome haha.

eXode

05 Oct 2017

There should be a handul EQ presets available via the alt+click menu.

Likewise there are a couple of basic waveforms, and 32 rhythmic pattern presets available in the envelope editor via the alt+click menu.

Like Andrew mentioned, it's quite cool that you can draw a waveform in Editor mode to use for the oscillator, and then use the normal EG mode for modulation, meaning that you don't have to sacrifice a mod eg for oscillator duties.

eXode

05 Oct 2017

The EG in Editor mode can also be used as a stepper, which most of the Pattern presets demonstrate.

chimp_spanner

05 Oct 2017

eXode wrote:
05 Oct 2017
There should be a handul EQ presets available via the alt+click menu.

Likewise there are a couple of basic waveforms, and 32 rhythmic pattern presets available in the envelope editor via the alt+click menu.

Like Andrew mentioned, it's quite cool that you can draw a waveform in Editor mode to use for the oscillator, and then use the normal EG mode for modulation, meaning that you don't have to sacrifice a mod eg for oscillator duties.
Yeah just found them. The spectral EQ is fantastic. Getting sounds I've been after for ages with this thing. Also great tip about the EGs being dual function (modulation & WT). Super, super impressive!

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Oct 2017

This update looks incredible. FM between oscillators?! I seem to recall reading that was shelved originally because it would be too CPU-intensive. Blamsoft, did you guys find a more optimized way to do it, or should I be ready for some major fan spinning? 😀

Koshdukai

05 Oct 2017

aeox wrote:
04 Oct 2017
:o
:o indeed!!! :D

Irresistible new features and improvements! :)

Blamsoft
RE Developer

05 Oct 2017

The Wavetable CPU usage switch also controls CPU usage for FM. You can turn that down if you notice an increase.

• Information