Favorite Ring Mod?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
CaliforniaBurrito

26 Sep 2017

I'm going in for some ring modulation refinement and I know there are quite a few methods. What do you like to do? I'm thinking about picking up the Kilohearts but I figured I'd see if there are some other opinions on the subject. :?:

Loque

26 Sep 2017

There might be some synths that have a RM fx. You checked your synths?
Reason12, Win10

CaliforniaBurrito

26 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
26 Sep 2017
There might be some synths that have a RM fx. You checked your synths?
I haven't checked all my synths! :geek: I was using the now free That Music Company's Distort Chain for ring mod application but I'm starting to feeling like it is too limited and maybe not as graceful as other options.

Creativemind

26 Sep 2017

Synapse RM-1 Re in the shop is great. Well worth a trial. Get that dalek going.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

scratchnsnifff

26 Sep 2017

The only RM effects that I know of are synapse audios RM and kiloheartz ring mod

I love synapse audio they make some of the most solid and usable devices (instruments and effects) and kiloheartz also has some of my favorite effects I actually own the khs ring mod but I am not sure how to use it properly. If it's ring modulation in a synth I can get some awesome FM type noises out of it. But the effect processor doesn't seem to yield the same results
In conclusion I can only truely recommend the kiloheartz ring mod but that is not to say that the synapse RM is better or worse try em both :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

eXode

26 Sep 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
26 Sep 2017
I'm going in for some ring modulation refinement and I know there are quite a few methods. What do you like to do? I'm thinking about picking up the Kilohearts but I figured I'd see if there are some other opinions on the subject. :?:
VK-2 can do ring mod and am.

eXode

26 Sep 2017

Here's a quick example. Load it as an insert effect. You can get a stereo effect if you set OSC 1 Sine as source for the PAN as well.

Also note that I've used OSC1 sine as the modulator in this example but you can use any waveform or even an external audio source (monophonic).
Attachments
VK2RingModCombi.zip
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Last edited by eXode on 26 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

CaliforniaBurrito

26 Sep 2017

eXode wrote:
26 Sep 2017
Here's a quick example. Load it as an insert effect. You can get a stereo effect if you set OSC 1 Sine as source for the PAN as well.

Also note that I've used OSC1 sine as the modulator in this example but you can use any waveform or even an external audio source (monophonic).

VK2RingModCombi.zip
Yep that will definitely work! Thanks! :) I just threw it on some 909 tom samples - just the kind of techno percussion I need! :D

O1B

26 Sep 2017

Ring Bodulator Patch... Nice! .. or Masses and Springs.... Move that BIG KNOB (Frequency) and ...Even Nicer!!
- Echobode is a delay effect with a frequency shifter placed inside the feedback loop... The difference between a frequency shifter and a pitch shifter is that it shifts the audio spectrum linearly.... This effect in itself is great for creating metallic bell timbres, but putting it inside a delayed feedback loop opens up many other possibilities.

Sidebands
When a frequency shifter processes audio, two "sidebands" are generated, one that is shifted upwards and one that is shifted downwards. The challenge in creating a good frequency shifter lies in suppressing one of these sidebands (otherwise the effect sounds like a regular amplitude modulator). We are proud to say that Echobode features excellent suppression over the range of 40 Hz to 20 kHz. If you want less suppression there is a "sideband mix" parameter that you can adjust, allowing you to create amplitude and ring modulation effects.

CaliforniaBurrito

26 Sep 2017

eXode wrote:
26 Sep 2017
VK-2 can do ring mod and am.
Holy guacamole then I can process with other modules as well. That is a great solution. :thumbs_up:

EdGrip

26 Sep 2017

"Blamsoft VK-2 Ring Mod effect. €49. Includes bonus analogue synth feature."

Vince-Noir-99

26 Sep 2017

I recommend Pulveriser's audio modulation input.

CaliforniaBurrito

26 Sep 2017

Thanks for the recommendations. I've tried VK-2 and I'm thinking could be a great processing unit for percussion. I can happily bounce percussion tracks after processing too whereas instrumental tracks might be more challenging especially if I'm doing automation. So with that in mind, I ended up buying kHs for more fluid functionality and the appreciation of more controls. I accidentally added a kHs Ring Mod to my kick channel and I tweaked it enough to make the kick more powerful (and balanced). :o I've only just finished drums today though so I'll see where this take me. I do already have Echobode and it is a great device; it can get pretty wacky and I use it for more fx kind of things with the exception of that simple Dream Delay preset that I was stuck on for a very long time until I got EchoBoy. :D

dvdrtldg

26 Sep 2017

Strontium 90 by Audio Poison is great for ring mod and a whole lot more. Has an annoying wiring bug which means you have to route it manually (and the dev seems to have left the planet) but apart from that it's perfect. Goes great on drums, I love it

sdst
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2017

all the Ring RE should be free

it's very easy to do in a combinator, take two minutes

Loque

27 Sep 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Sep 2017
Strontium 90 by Audio Poison is great for ring mod and a whole lot more. Has an annoying wiring bug which means you have to route it manually (and the dev seems to have left the planet) but apart from that it's perfect. Goes great on drums, I love it
I was considering it from time to time, but i think its too expensive, the dev is off and to know there is not fixed bug tells me: Nope...thx... :thumbs_down:
Reason12, Win10

• Information