Respire just got better

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

29 Sep 2017

dana wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Its in the pad's folder, PD-8080 only with 16 voice polyphony (instead of 8) playing 7 notes, then another 7 notes etc. so it overlaps the polyphony.
Weird.. seems to playback OK on my system.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bsp

30 Sep 2017

the update is definitely a big improvement!

just made a patch with 2 oscs, 2 filters, 8 voice polyphony, 3x unison on OSC1, and the DSP load is at 1 bar (i7 4770).

turning off the FX now saves CPU time.

no crashes so far.

I still find it a bit inconvenient that the synth does not use popup menus (is the VST different in this regard?) but apart from that , it (still) has a great sounding synth engine.

thanks for the update, I don't regret my 59e investment.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2017

dana wrote:
29 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
29 Sep 2017

Post the pad patch so I can test on my machine. I most certainly have a CPU that's much slower than yours, yet I'm able to play a ~20 ReSpire track project with the "Beauty" patch playing before all of my cores are maxed out. :shock: :shock: :shock: You might have some other issues going on.
Its in the pad's folder, PD-8080 only with 16 voice polyphony (instead of 8) playing 7 notes, then another 7 notes etc. so it overlaps the polyphony.
There was a default patch that was mentioned on FB, when I looked at it I was like, OOps as it maxed out my system, I then had a quick look at the patch and just by turning down the release Env's it became very playable.

I have noticed this on a number of the bigger RE's as well...

As for this update, I opened up a ReSpire track (about 10 Respires) I did and it did not play !!!! now I did original write this in Reason 9.2, I do run Reason 9.5.x with hyperthreading turned off and a number of my old tracks I have opened have all been OK, but I have not really spent anytime looking into this...

To me one of the big things that is missing from the big (all) RE's is there should be away to turn them off if they are not really processing a sound (and I'm talking this should be done internally and automatically), I have a project when opened uses 4 bars and I'm not even playing a single note!!!

EnochLight

30 Sep 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
30 Sep 2017
As for this update, I opened up a ReSpire track (about 10 Respires) I did and it did not play !!!! now I did original write this in Reason 9.2, I do run Reason 9.5.x with hyperthreading turned off and a number of my old tracks I have opened have all been OK, but I have not really spent anytime looking into this...
Have you considered maybe turning Hyperthreading on and see how the 10 ReSpire song file does?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

alex

30 Sep 2017

Yeah ReSpire is getting better, probably the nicest fast-sounding envelopes in the rack, really really snappy and punchy! Also when using the x-comp
it shows a really round, tight and solid low end. A real pleasure for the ears.

Here's a couple of audio snippet I made today while I was having fun with it:

No crashes for me too so far but it still has some minor bug tho.
I just discovered that when you automate the shaper (on/off) the vaules on the sequencer are inverted (when there is "on" in the automation clip the effect is off and viceversa).
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Have you considered maybe turning Hyperthreading on and see how the 10 ReSpire song file does?
My system is better with it off but of course I did try it with it on.

I've just had another look at the song and I think I know what the issue is (not ReSpire) for pushing it over top, it was very close to it's limit before this other device but overall I don't think the performance gain is that much.
I have been quite lucky with ReSpire as I have not had any issues since the update before last and as I said with any heavy setups I just make sure the release time is not set to the high side of things to bring the CPU usage down.

Dante

03 Oct 2017

I am really glad that ReSpire has been critisized, optimised and galvinised into the Reason world. I also just got Expanse so its fair to say Im between the best of 2 worlds.

BUT WTF do ALL THE PRESETS have Reverb and Delay turned on ? When preset SURFING - i like to surf DRY - not wet - so now, do I have to go thru every frackin preset, turn of the rev and delay and resave ????

OH WHAT A PAIN !!!!!

I already use the SSL to save on reverb DSP (use REV7000 and send all to that) so why the hell do we need rev taking up DSP on the device itself ??

I know this sound a petty peeve, but yeah - its a petty peeve I (we?) can do without.

BTW - Alex -ure 3 riffs sound cool !

Aosta

03 Oct 2017

Downloaded the trial yesterday.
It is the only RE I've come across that throws up a 'computer too slow' error when simply trying to play one patch using an overclocked i7 920 and 12GB of ram.
Think I will pass on this one.
Tend the flame

Re8et
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2017

Respire is fantastic with cpu load right now, it still does not speak blamsoft polycv tho native poly cv works thousands time better with this update.

razzthemad

03 Nov 2017

I love my Respire, sure it hogs my native 5k iMac's CPU and often stops playback, but my goodness does it sound great (when it's stable)! I just thought it was my over-worked computer causing the slow-downs, I guess it is related to the buildout... But I got ReSpire on sale at $59 bux, and honestly, I still think it's worth it for this RE. It actually pushes me to be more conservative with my tracks, and actually use the "Bounce In Place" (9.5+ supported feature) function, which is usually a good thing for House producers like myself anyway.

IDK, I love ReSpire, but if the slow-down is build related, I sure hope it gets fixed. In the meantime, I'm glad to own it regardless.

miscend

04 Nov 2017

It’s a great synth. With some truly shoddy coding. I think they should implement a draft mode until they sort the CPU issue out.

EdGrip

04 Nov 2017

Does anyone else have a problem where the ADSR faders aren't positioned correctly under the mouse cursor when you move them? Wondering if it's related to my Windows 10 being scaled up a bit.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

04 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Does anyone else have a problem where the ADSR faders aren't positioned correctly under the mouse cursor when you move them? Wondering if it's related to my Windows 10 being scaled up a bit.
Is that still not fixed? It would take literally—in the strictest sense of the word—about 30 seconds for them to resolve that. It would take longer to recompile it and upload the new build to the server.

EdGrip

04 Nov 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Is that still not fixed? It would take literally—in the strictest sense of the word—about 30 seconds for them to resolve that. It would take longer to recompile it and upload the new build to the server.
Yep. Just checked that I'm up to date. It's still doing that.

EdGrip

04 Nov 2017

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Reveal Sound have got loadsa money. So (I'm not a dev so this may be daft talk), it might be worth a developer familiar with the RE environment saying "Look, I know the SDK, pay me to get in there and sort ReSpire out."

chk071

20 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
04 Nov 2017
One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Reveal Sound have got loadsa money.
Not sure if they have "loads" of money (who does really, developing audioware?), but, they probably make the most money with their soundset shop now. I'm a little disappointed TBH, that they announced a lot of additional funcionality for Spire more than 2 1/2 years ago, which never surfaced. Instead they did ReSpire, and when they released it, PH just announced that they'd open Reason up for VST support. :roll:

These are the features the devs posted back then:
Some long-term plans:

- Extended preset browser
- Custom wave loading
- Granular sampler OSC mode
- Vowel OSC mode
- New reverberator's types
- New shaper's types
- Filter with Drive Parameter
Hope they didn't forget about it. And, actually, as good as Spire sounds (i love it really), it sorely lacks a really good analog modelled filter. The filters have a lovely characte, no doubt, but, the behavior on high resonance levels is not up to par with high quality digital filters in other synths. Dune 2 is a good example for how it can be done. I really hate the filters of Dune 2 though. :lol: Just saying that the resonant behavior is really good, i vastly prefer the character of Spire's filters though. The Infecto filter is great, but, a modelled Moog ladder filter would be awesome, for example, as would be an Oberheim filter. Hope they'll work on that. Or maybe release Spire 2. :)
:reason: :rebirth:

KIKBAK1

21 Nov 2017

Respire is a great synth!! It just has a BIG sound that sounds very current & 'in the now". Yeah there's a couple bugs, but still 59 bucks well spent.
KIKBAK1.com

miscend

29 Nov 2017

New version anounced on Facebook:

Spire v1.1.13 , ReSpire 1.0.5 Coming Soon!
+ Vowel Oscillator
+ J8 Chorus
+ Filter Mode/Shaper
+ Click Removal
* Some minor fixes and improvements

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2017

miscend wrote:
29 Nov 2017

+ Vowel Oscillator
+ J8 Chorus
+ Filter Mode/Shaper
+ Click Removal
The J8 Chorus sounds nice.. The Vowel Osc looks interesting as well.

Loque

29 Nov 2017

Nice!
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

29 Nov 2017

miscend wrote:
29 Nov 2017

+ Vowel Oscillator
+ J8 Chorus
+ Filter Mode/Shaper
+ Click Removal
Very cool that they're teasing a 1.0.5 update for ReSpire "soon". Scary that they haven't started beta testing it yet, though. :(

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
29 Nov 2017
miscend wrote:
29 Nov 2017

+ Vowel Oscillator
+ J8 Chorus
+ Filter Mode/Shaper
+ Click Removal
Very cool that they're teasing a 1.0.5 update for ReSpire "soon". Scary that they haven't started beta testing it yet, though. :(
Their beta testing is done on release ;) LOL

EnochLight

29 Nov 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
29 Nov 2017
Lol, I know - right? Seriously hoping they don't blunder this RE release, too. I pinged the beta test forum a few moments ago. Hopefully they'll respond, though they tend to be absent landlords there lately. * shrugs *

miscend

29 Nov 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
29 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
29 Nov 2017

This is Reveal Sound we’re talking about. Respire is in a constant state of beta.

EnochLight

29 Nov 2017

miscend wrote:
29 Nov 2017
This is Reveal Sound we’re talking about. Respire is in a constant state of beta.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Information