Audio Repair REs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2017

I am a huge fan of REs but I am finding it incredibly difficult to do any sort of audio repair eg. remove crowd noise, Background noise, hiss, hum, ect.

I feel like I did a pretty thorough look through the propellerhead site and didn't find anything at all in RE format.

I have Izotope Repair vsts but to be quite honest, not a big fan of VSTs :-/

I would totally prefer this in RE format.

Am I missing anything? Is there an RE for Noise Reduction?
Anything?!?!

Loque

21 Sep 2017

Yea, i was looking quite a long time for similar things. you can try to sample the noise and mix it phase-inverted which may reduce it, or EQ, filter and so on...But the results may not really be satisfying. iZotope seem to have a bunch of useful tools for that, but they are pretty expansive and i am sure, no RE user would pay that price for RE solution.
Reason12, Win10

Exowildebeest

21 Sep 2017

Such tools are most often used in professional studios, or by professionals, specifically ones that deal with video or radio stuff. They've been using VST's, and probably (all sorts of) standalone software for that for years before RE even existed. So RE's really aren't the best area to look for those tools.

Noise
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2017

I would recommend Audacity > Noise removal filter.

The way it works: you make a profile of the noise ( a little selection ), and then you apply the noise removal with the created profile.
I've got some amazing results, I know this sounds like clickbait lol, but I had some voice recordings from some really bad microphone, and the results were more than ok, considering the material source.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

dvdrtldg

21 Sep 2017

I work in radio production and have used a bunch of noise repair plugins. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. The best by a mile imo is the iZotope RX suite, and that will set you back something between $300 and $400. I can't imagine anything at that price point showing up in the RE market any time soon

Loque

21 Sep 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Sep 2017
I work in radio production and have used a bunch of noise repair plugins. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. The best by a mile imo is the iZotope RX suite, and that will set you back something between $300 and $400. I can't imagine anything at that price point showing up in the RE market any time soon
TubeTech for 300.
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

21 Sep 2017

Advanced Suite wrote:
21 Sep 2017
I am a huge fan of REs but I am finding it incredibly difficult to do any sort of audio repair eg. remove crowd noise, Background noise, hiss, hum, ect.

I feel like I did a pretty thorough look through the propellerhead site and didn't find anything at all in RE format.

Anything?!?!
I realize you're looking for RE's, but I have to second the suggestion for iZotope RX6 suite. There is simply nothing else like it that is as powerful and effective. I really doubt you'll ever see an RE as powerful as that, especially now that Reason supports VST. You say that you have "Izotope Repair"... do you mean RX Elements?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

21 Sep 2017

I always found standalone software to work better for audio repair. In the end you always want to do multiple passes and some manual work and in a DAW you end up with a bunch of plugins in a row, funny routings, multiple tracks and whatnot.

dvdrtldg

21 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
21 Sep 2017
dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Sep 2017
TubeTech for 300.
Well sure, but TubeTech seems to be the exception that proves the rule

syncanonymous

21 Sep 2017

Advanced Suite wrote:
21 Sep 2017

Anything?!?!
I don't know about any REs for NR & you don't care for VST... I do a lot of audio clean up on in post for my company's films and Acon Digital Restoration Suite is what I always use. Restoration Suite is the best vfm I know of.
https://acondigital.com/products/restoration-suite/
I find the algorithms work better on 24 bit material. I never bounce, personally, just run live on fx returns.

Like I have said many times here, Reason zoom is not capable of showing low level noise like inhales. My main uses are cleaning clicks & pops & broadband noise.

Izotope RX Suite is pricey, $800US for RX6 Advanced, which looks amazing). I've never used it, I've never been able to demo it for some reason. I also own and have extensively used Sonnox Restore and the Sonnox DeBuzzer is fantastic; I think it's second to none; the factory setting for Electric Guitar PU Hum Removal is magic, it has saved some of my old recordings. I also demoed Sony Spectral Layers a couple years ago, but it is extremely time consuming and wants a powerful computer; I didn't have the juice.

You just can't go wrong with Acon Digital + the dev is a really nice communicative guy.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Ixus

22 Sep 2017

I bought Izotope Rx 6 elements for noise removal. But you cant use it in Reason, its not supported with the way Reason handle vst's, I made a thread about this but I just want to say that before you make a big purchase like that. You have to use it standalone.

However I have tried it a bit and it seems like an amazing tool

Loque

22 Sep 2017

Ixus wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I bought Izotope Rx 6 elements for noise removal. But you cant use it in Reason, its not supported with the way Reason handle vst's, I made a thread about this but I just want to say that before you make a big purchase like that. You have to use it standalone.

However I have tried it a bit and it seems like an amazing tool
Thanks for that info. Actually companies only say, that it was tested in blabla... Never read Reason at this point, so such info is welcome.
Reason12, Win10

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Advanced Suite wrote:
21 Sep 2017

Anything?!?!
I realize you're looking for RE's, but I have to second the suggestion for iZotope RX6 suite. There is simply nothing else like it that is as powerful and effective. I really doubt you'll ever see an RE as powerful as that, especially now that Reason supports VST. You say that you have "Izotope Repair"... do you mean RX Elements?
Yeah I mean elements and it works great in reason its just nice to have unlimited undos on a RE as opposed to a VST where I only get one undo. Often times I accidentally undo more than once on a vst (out of habit). Causing problems if not noticed right away. I understand that most VSTs have an undo button usually but, Idk i guess its messing with my workflow. lol

joeyluck

22 Sep 2017

I have RX 6 Standard and I use some of the plugins in Reason, such as de-plosive. But it's much easier to do full repairs outside of Reason in the RX Editor itself.

Kind of like their recent ad campaign:

It's a different stage and more efficient to do passes in the Editor for repairs.

Biolumin3sc3nt

23 Sep 2017

normen wrote:
21 Sep 2017
I always found standalone software to work better for audio repair. In the end you always want to do multiple passes and some manual work and in a DAW you end up with a bunch of plugins in a row, funny routings, multiple tracks and whatnot.
I'll second that Normen

EdGrip

25 Sep 2017

Waves' audio repair suite is on sale (is Waves stuff ever not on sale?)
https://www.waves.com/bundles/restoration

dvdrtldg

26 Sep 2017

Some great bargains to be had from Waves at the moment, but their denoisers (X-Noise and Z-Noise) are pretty ordinary imo

plaamook

27 Sep 2017

I wouldn't bother w RX elements. Denoiser is different to the one in standard and advanced which can be tweaked and so on. Much better.
I have access to advanced through the guy I work and collab with but if I were going to buy it I'd just get standard. It's got pretty much everything you need.
I work w loads of field rec's and many are messy as hell. What can be achieved w RX is unimaginable. Really like magic.

Gonna third Norman on the RX editor. Have used the plugs in reason and Logic and it's just tedious except that I find it easier editing the audio in place in something like Reason.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Eagleizer

27 Sep 2017

Advanced Suite wrote:
21 Sep 2017

Anything?!?!

Not the solution for everything, but since you say that you can`t repair
ANY kind of audio, you should try Selig Leveler, which can remove
background noise.

I have used it several times to remove reverb on stems. I normally end up
using 2 instances. Setting the first Leveler so it removes a little bit first
and add about +12 on output gain. Then take a bit more on the second
Leveler and reduce the output -12. Both on full Wet. You have to experiment
to find the right balance between the two so you don`t get artifacts. Also
experiment with Look Ahead on one or the other. It`s not perfect, but it`s
usually enough to get it drowned in the other instruments.

Dyna-Mite is also capable of removing noise, but Selig Leveler does it much
better, and also have Look Ahead.

Just a thought:
I guess you could also EQ to separate the sound you want to remove and
use the Phase Invert in SSL. Combine this with Selig leveler I`m sure you
can get rid of, or at least dampen a lot more difficult stuff than reverb. I
think Selig Gain also have a Phase invert button. Oh, and Itzy.

Here is an example I did just for you :)
In this video I used Leveler , EQ and Dyna-mite to remove noise from my Aircon.
It was also raining at the time, as you can hear when i apply the first EQ.
It`s not perfect, but I did not spend much time on it either. The setting in Selig
Leveler is similar for removing reverb, but you have to play with Curve and Target
and Look Ahead. I don`t use Dyna-mite when removing reverb though, at least I
haven't yet...

Cheers :)

syncanonymous

28 Sep 2017

I spent the last few days doing my best to clean up some pretty poor Lavalier radio mic recordings (RF crosstalk, ugh) and Acon Restoration Suite wasn't up to the task all by itself, so I got Sonnox DeNoiser going (not in Reason) and was able to get some pretty impressive results, mind you, my content was 20 minute talks with no background music, so not music. Sonnox Restore is some pretty powerful stuff.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2017

Eagleizer wrote:
27 Sep 2017
Advanced Suite wrote:
21 Sep 2017

Anything?!?!

Not the solution for everything, but since you say that you can`t repair
ANY kind of audio, you should try Selig Leveler, which can remove
background noise.

I have used it several times to remove reverb on stems. I normally end up
using 2 instances. Setting the first Leveler so it removes a little bit first
and add about +12 on output gain. Then take a bit more on the second
Leveler and reduce the output -12. Both on full Wet. You have to experiment
to find the right balance between the two so you don`t get artifacts. Also
experiment with Look Ahead on one or the other. It`s not perfect, but it`s
usually enough to get it drowned in the other instruments.

Dyna-Mite is also capable of removing noise, but Selig Leveler does it much
better, and also have Look Ahead.

Just a thought:
I guess you could also EQ to separate the sound you want to remove and
use the Phase Invert in SSL. Combine this with Selig leveler I`m sure you
can get rid of, or at least dampen a lot more difficult stuff than reverb. I
think Selig Gain also have a Phase invert button. Oh, and Itzy.

Here is an example I did just for you :)
In this video I used Leveler , EQ and Dyna-mite to remove noise from my Aircon.
It was also raining at the time, as you can hear when i apply the first EQ.
It`s not perfect, but I did not spend much time on it either. The setting in Selig
Leveler is similar for removing reverb, but you have to play with Curve and Target
and Look Ahead. I don`t use Dyna-mite when removing reverb though, at least I
haven't yet...

Cheers :)
Wow! Aaaand the award goes to you!!! That is quite impressive! I guess you can restore audio with reason. Great work

• Information