M-MAX Multiband Limiter in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2017

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... d-limiter/

Red Rock Sound
Multiband Processor

• Intuitive management and high quality
• Four bands crossover
• Side Chain and Attenuation CV Outputs

Intro price till October 15 €35.00
Normal price €55.00

Exowildebeest

20 Sep 2017

Looks like a great RE again by Red Rock - if you're into multiband limiting, which I'm not :)

Zac

20 Sep 2017

I have and like the multiband comp. This feels like milky milky. All the best to them. Vsts have revealed a few things to me though.

Loque

21 Sep 2017

I am curious where it may differ to the compressor with endless ratio?
Reason12, Win10

PhutureD

21 Sep 2017

Is this really necessary, considering that the streaming sites will be implementing new rules regarding loudness?

decibel

21 Sep 2017

wish they included demos when they launched new RE's

Exowildebeest

21 Sep 2017

PhutureD wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Is this really necessary, considering that the streaming sites will be implementing new rules regarding loudness?
Of course it is. You still have limited headroom in your final exported file, and you may need compression and limiting to stay within those bounds - loudness compensation by streaming services has nothing to do with that.

What I would ask myself though, is whether there aren't better solutions than multiband limiting in most cases, like fixing levels closer to the source. But YMMV.

CaliforniaBurrito

21 Sep 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
21 Sep 2017
What I would ask myself though, is whether there aren't better solutions than multiband limiting in most cases, like fixing levels closer to the source. But YMMV.
This!

My first thought was the average user is likely to do more harm than good with this! :D

Knock yourself out though if you feel so inclined!

davidvilla

21 Sep 2017

Zac wrote:
20 Sep 2017
Vsts have revealed a few things to me though.
Yeah, like better options at cheaper prices.

Waves C4 @ http://everyplugin.com/c4-multiband-compressor.html - $22 with code CK901

Exowildebeest

21 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Zac wrote:
20 Sep 2017

Waves C4 @ http://everyplugin.com/c4-multiband-compressor.html - $22 with code CK901
I can't get over how 1998 some Waves plugins look :lol: It's worse than RE's. This looks like it was made for an 800x600 256 colour VGA monitor.

Not that the RR one is that much better though.

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Zac wrote:
20 Sep 2017

Red Rocks has lookahead and oversampling.

EnochLight

21 Sep 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
21 Sep 2017
I can't get over how 1998 some Waves plugins look :lol: It's worse than RE's. This looks like it was made for an 800x600 256 colour VGA monitor.
This is one of the reasons I avoid Waves stuff. It's over-hyped most of the time and most of their GUI/UX looks like ass, IMHO. $22 USD is too much to pay for that, IMHO. :lol: :lol:
Exowildebeest wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Meh, it certainly 'aint as pretty as I'd like, but it looks marginally better (barely) than the Wave's offering, and also has lookahead and oversampling. Also, it's much easier to install and manage. Waves authorization is archaic.

That said, I know Max is only $35 USD on sale, but that's $35 USD one could put towards the easily better iZotope Neutron:

neutron.jpg
neutron.jpg (207.6 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
Last edited by EnochLight on 21 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dvdrtldg

21 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Waves authorization is archaic.
I've been critical of Waves' authorization process in the past, had some issues with their old License Manager and swore I'd never buy any more of their plugins. But recently I found some of their sale offers too good to pass up, so I got back on the pony and installed Waves Central. It's really not that bad, certainly way better than it used to be. You go from clicking Buy to having the plugin up & running in a matter of minutes. Which is something I can't always say for Reason's Authorizer

EnochLight

21 Sep 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Waves authorization is archaic.
I've been critical of Waves' authorization process in the past, had some issues with their old License Manager and swore I'd never buy any more of their plugins. But recently I found some of their sale offers too good to pass up, so I got back on the pony and installed Waves Central. It's really not that bad, certainly way better than it used to be. You go from clicking Buy to having the plugin up & running in a matter of minutes. Which is something I can't always say for Reason's Authorizer
I picked up Waves Codex on a goof, just because on sale it ended up being like $19 USD (or $22 USD or some ridiculously cheap price compared to its original MSRP of $199 USD). It's literally the only things from Waves I could keep. It's got some cool patches, but if I had paid $199 for it, I would have been very upset.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pjeudy

21 Sep 2017

Wow...looking at Red Rock RE Versus iZotope Vst as an option for Reason still wows me today :-) All tough iZotope had a device in the shop, that device was basically playing by the same limited REASON SDK rules.
Now I feel like it's messed up that a company like Red Rock who devoted hundreds of hours (maybe) time, energy and Money to develop for Propellerheads new plugin format. Now have to compete with a decade old extremely popular, well developed format like VSt (yes I know Vst has tech. issues) on the same platform. :shock:

Just on the Look of the iZotope NEUTRON UI alone, the disadvantage of the RE SDK on the RR device is screaming at You.

Well maybe the price of Neutron will put some users off.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

PhutureD

23 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Zac wrote:
20 Sep 2017

cheaper but in a lot of cases the pain of registering, updating , installing is not worth it, even at those ridiculous prices:)
All I want to do is demo a version of one of their devices and update the ones I already have. its been 24 hrs already and no such luck.
Even Izotope is handing out incorrect serial numbers to their products.

Hauser+Quaid

24 Sep 2017

Looks pretty cool, but I'm a bit maxed out (no pun intended) on multi band compressors / limiters. I literally have like 5 and hardly ever use any of them. But definitely looks worth it for someone who doesn't have one.

FLVZ

02 Jun 2018

Interested in this, but no demo video or audio examples to tempt me into demoing it. I have not much time at the minute to spend reading the manual and investigating the settings deeply enough to know I want it. They say it adds character on the description but I don't understand how this happens ? Is this a colourful MB Limiter in the same light their C1L1 is a colourful compressor ? How transparent is it, this would be interesting when I need to use it in the mixbuss and I don't want the colour. Might have to add to wishlist and try it some months in the future when I have the spare time.

Loque

03 Jun 2018

Flavolous wrote:
02 Jun 2018
Interested in this, but no demo video or audio examples to tempt me into demoing it. I have not much time at the minute to spend reading the manual and investigating the settings deeply enough to know I want it. They say it adds character on the description but I don't understand how this happens ? Is this a colourful MB Limiter in the same light their C1L1 is a colourful compressor ? How transparent is it, this would be interesting when I need to use it in the mixbuss and I don't want the colour. Might have to add to wishlist and try it some months in the future when I have the spare time.
Did not tried it yet, but my first imnpression was, where is the difference between the Multiband Limiter and the Multiband Compressor which provides a endless-compression ratio that is defacto a limiter. (Just made a note for myself for another buzzword "character").

You should note, that C1L1 is a completly different category of Compressor and defenetly a long know high-class compressor in the VST world for free. The guy who had written it also provides a high class free limiter, so you might chek it out before buying:
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/

And please note, that you can use them in any multiband setup with some additional devices.
Reason12, Win10

FLVZ

03 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
03 Jun 2018
Flavolous wrote:
02 Jun 2018
Did not tried it yet, but my first imnpression was, where is the difference between the Multiband Limiter and the Multiband Compressor which provides a endless-compression ratio that is defacto a limiter. (Just made a note for myself for another buzzword "character").

You should note, that C1L1 is a completly different category of Compressor and defenetly a long know high-class compressor in the VST world for free. The guy who had written it also provides a high class free limiter, so you might chek it out before buying:
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/

And please note, that you can use them in any multiband setup with some additional devices.
Thanks, I think the beauty of multiband limiting is to afford more control. Sometimes you'll want to squash the track hard, but a normal limiter affects different frequency bands differently. The advantage of a multiband limiter I assume would be to allow you to push the track with less compromise due to more control. I guess the controls must be fairly straight forward if they haven't provided media for examples e.g. a video of how this is better than a regular limiter & how it is different to a MB compressor and their uses etc. I'll have to check it out in detail some point in the future.

jimmyklane

03 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Sep 2017
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... d-limiter/

Red Rock Sound
Multiband Processor

• Intuitive management and high quality
• Four bands crossover
• Side Chain and Attenuation CV Outputs

Intro price till October 15 €35.00
Normal price €55.00
If you are having your tracks mastered, I suggest being very careful mixing into a multi-band limiter!!! You can start fighting the action of the limiter as well as having your automation feel like it’s running into a brick wall (which of course it is!). I’ve done some experiments with both software and hardware solutions, and personally I’ve always found that my music is clearer and less processed sounding using a simple single hand compressor and final limiter.

My $0.02 on the matter....there are folks out there that mix into a limiter like this all the time and end up with amazing mixes....so YMMV.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

FLVZ

03 Jun 2018

Flavolous wrote:
03 Jun 2018
e.g. a video of how this is better than a regular limiter
I just want to correct myself here. Not necessarily 'better' than regular limiter but how it is different to a regular limiter. Sometimes single band is better, sometimes its not.

BRIGGS

09 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Exowildebeest wrote:
21 Sep 2017
This is one of the reasons I avoid Waves stuff. It's over-hyped most of the time and most of their GUI/UX looks like ass, IMHO. $22 USD is too much to pay for that, IMHO. :lol: :lol:
Exowildebeest wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Meh, it certainly 'aint as pretty as I'd like, but it looks marginally better (barely) than the Wave's offering, and also has lookahead and oversampling. Also, it's much easier to install and manage. Waves authorization is archaic.

That said, I know Max is only $35 USD on sale, but that's $35 USD one could put towards the easily better iZotope Neutron:

neutron.jpg

Izotope will eat your cpu like Homer Simpson eats donuts.
r11s

djadalaide

09 Jun 2018

This is the kind of guns i bring out when mastering drum and bass or dubstep when i want it really, really loud.

EnochLight

09 Jun 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
09 Jun 2018

Izotope will eat your cpu like Homer Simpson eats donuts.
Perhaps your cpu. I’m able to work ok on mine.

• Information