Rack Extension Layaway

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ltbrunt00

19 Sep 2017

What we need is a Rack Extension Layaway........Hear me out before you call me crazy........

It would be a way for them to generate a constant flow of cash.

Devices will deactivate themselves after X amount of days not checking back in with activation/license servers.

- A person could buy five of there favorite synths and use them now(instant gratification).

- And if a person fails to pay they deactivate right after a miss payment. after one month of no payment activity the user would get multiple emails asking them if they still wanted to continue paying for the Rack Extensions.

- If a person says yes to renew payment for the Rack Extensions they will be prompted to setup payment method to continue paying for rack extensions.

- If a person says no to continue paying for Rack Extensions then the Rack Extensions would be removed from the users account.

- It's a Win Win for all involved, the user gets to pay for the devices in installments (Instant Gratification) and use their favorite instruments, the Props and RE creators both get money from the transaction.

The props could make this available to only people who have a history of buying products from Propellerhead. Kind of like a Rack Extension credit rating. This way they can limit the people who would abuse this system.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Ahornberg

19 Sep 2017

What's the benefit of this?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2017

I don't know. Maybe it would work. But is it really necessary? It all sounds like it could become pretty messy to me. REs aren't that expensive to begin with imo.

I think the 30 day trial works pretty good and it takes care of the instant gratification too. That's plenty of time to decide and even write a bunch of music with it.

I can just imagine all the added support Propellerhead would have to deal with when this stuff goes wrong. Because many times when something can go wrong, it will go wrong. I'd rather have them spend time on developing Reason and new REs.

Just my opinion. Maybe it's a great idea and I just don't see it.

CaliforniaBurrito

19 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Sep 2017
REs aren't that expensive to begin with imo.
Yeah let me get one of those Skrock synths on layaway please!

Oquasec

19 Sep 2017

How about they do something called:
The 3 options.
Software you paid for is permanent.
Subscription model that gives you access to all RE for 200$ a year.
The all plugins bundle for 2000$.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

CaliforniaBurrito

19 Sep 2017

I think layaway is when you make payments on a reserved item and then you get the item after it is paid for. So it is not technically layaway but rather more like rent-to-own similar to what Splice is doing with Serum I guess.

ltbrunt00

19 Sep 2017

It would be nice if splice had more rent to own products.

My goal with this thread was more to get people talking about the different options to purchase tools, instruments. Seems like people are dead set for or against something like this.

East/West - Quantum leap creative cloud is nice but the more you use their instruments the more your locked into permanently paying that $29.99 price tag for.

If it did exist within the Props ecosystem it would give people on a budget options to use long term with paying the full price up front.

Personally I have spent quite a bit on Rack Extensions and VST over the last two years. With reason adding VST support has accelerated VST purchases.

O1B

19 Sep 2017

So, $$$ is no problem then... ?
ltbrunt00 wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Personally I have spent quite a bit on Rack Extensions and VST over the last two years. With reason adding VST support has accelerated VST purchases.

motuscott

19 Sep 2017

For one RE today, I will gladly pay you double tomorrow.
Wimpie the Moocher (of Popeye fame).
I guess I'm dating myself.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

syncanonymous

19 Sep 2017

Trials don't really work for my current system. I have to disable my wifi adapter to use any audio software; the issue is clicks and pops. This proposed system might allow trials with internet connection off.

VSTs I have purchased have a 30 day full functional trials (Fab Filter, Sonnox).

This proposed idea reminds me of a real pet peeve I have eith PHeads: This "requirement" to have a fast and stable internet connection is ludicrous. Not all customers will have a fast and stable connection. At my county house in rural France where I spend half of my yearly time, we are lucky to get 1.2 Mbps ( which is the max speed) The internet connection drops often; we have unexpected power cuts. It's the country! That's just how it is for now.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

etyrnal

20 Sep 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:What we need is a Rack Extension Layaway........Hear me out before you call me crazy........

Devices will deactivate themselves after X amount of days not checking back in with activation/license servers.

- A person could buy five of there favorite synths and use them now(instant gratification).

- And if a person fails to pay they deactivate right after a miss payment. after one month of no payment activity the user would get multiple emails asking them if they still wanted to continue paying for the Rack Extensions.

- If a person says yes to renew payment for the Rack Extensions they will be prompted to setup payment method to continue paying for rack extensions.

- If a person says no to continue paying for Rack Extensions then the Rack Extensions would be removed from the users account.

- It's a Win Win for all involved, the user gets to pay for the devices in installments (Instant Gratification) and use their favorite instruments, the Props and RE creators both get money from the transaction.

The props could make this available to only people who have a history of buying products from Propellerhead. Kind of like a Rack Extension credit rating. This way they can limit the people who would abuse this system.
You are basically begging for a subscription-based usage paradigm. So you never get to own the software you just keep paying forever.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

etyrnal

20 Sep 2017

I would much rather that they create a per-user wish list in the store, so that you could Mark all of the products that you want, so that you can keep track of them all, and would notify you if any of them went on sale.

Oquasec

20 Sep 2017

Would it really be a hassle if they just did both options seamlessly?
Is there some sort of design flaw with making a sub button for an all plugins bundle? :cool:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

ltbrunt00

22 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
20 Sep 2017
ltbrunt00 wrote:What we need is a Rack Extension Layaway........Hear me out before you call me crazy........

You are basically begging for a subscription-based usage paradigm. So you never get to own the software you just keep paying forever.

Not a subscription service, more like rent to own.

• Information