Propellerhead introduces Layers synth.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Heater

19 Sep 2017

esselfortium wrote:
18 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2017

I think so. Not counting effects that were added through 6.0-8.0, I'm pretty sure 5.0's Kong was the last time a new instrument was included by default.
Almost but not quite! ID8 came in Reason 6 (and/or Record... so, um, almost Reason 5), and Pulsar is arguably an instrument (it does have instrument patches!), though it wasn't always free.
Well done. I'd forgotten about ID8 and I never use it.

mguh22

19 Sep 2017

I've queried with Propellerhead why this needs Reason 9.2 to run, given how simple it is! Must be to do with being built in the new SDK, but I'm wondering how easy it would be for them to compile it in the old SDK instead for those of us still on Reason 8....

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2017

This has really got me digging back into my old Analogue Monsters refill (might even download the free AM3).

I think this is very much a case of, those who are after this sort of sound will find it worth the money (plus this is roughly the price of the Kontakt version).

ltbrunt00

19 Sep 2017

jayhosking wrote:
18 Sep 2017
ltbrunt00 wrote:
18 Sep 2017
I like layers for what it is but at 69/99 dollars seems like there should be more sounds included with this.

This RE would be killer if you could load additional samples in it kind of like NNXT........NNXT lite.

Now only if the legend would go on sale for $49.99 life would be grand.....Wink Wink..
Agreed on all fronts.

BUT if you haven't seen already, VK2 is currently on for exactly that price, and I found it to be comparable in sound to the Legend.
I saw that and started sweating, why go on sale now. I trialed the VK2 some time back and loved it. But I'm somewhat cashed strapped at the moment and trying not to buy anything until the Thanksgiving and Christmas sales. I may have to bite the bullet and buy it at this price.....
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

dana

20 Sep 2017

I tried this last night, along with some other synths i don't own.

Great sounds / sequences.

Great tweakability.

You can very quickly change the layers, each with their own effects parameters.

Its deceptive, the interface looks simple but the bottom part is switchable.

I think the sequencer section really sells it for me.

This is top of the list of the 4 most recent new synths to come out.

The only other synth i tried that was as much fun with great sounds was arkana.

Biolumin3sc3nt

20 Sep 2017

Ava... I just listened to your jam - that was pretty fresh and made a smile on my face - High Five

MikeMcKew

23 Sep 2017

Hey guys, I finally got around to making a video overview of Layers. Check it out below! Like others, I was skeptical at first but given how easy it is to use, I'm convinced that this fills a need for me and others. It's very easy to use and it does sound really good. Let me know what you think!

dana

24 Sep 2017

I was playing around with this today, and i had 9 instances of layers in one combinator, thats 36 notes at once.. and my cpu didn't even break a sweat.

miscend

25 Sep 2017

jayhosking wrote:
18 Sep 2017
ltbrunt00 wrote:
18 Sep 2017
I like layers for what it is but at 69/99 dollars seems like there should be more sounds included with this.

This RE would be killer if you could load additional samples in it kind of like NNXT........NNXT lite.

Now only if the legend would go on sale for $49.99 life would be grand.....Wink Wink..
Agreed on all fronts.

BUT if you haven't seen already, VK2 is currently on for exactly that price, and I found it to be comparable in sound to the Legend.
But in CPU it’s not.

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
25 Sep 2017
jayhosking wrote:
18 Sep 2017

Agreed on all fronts.

But in CPU it’s not.
Turn settings to low and filter to normal and CPU usage is basically identical. VK-2s medium and high setting algorithms are higher quality than Legends, they take a lot more CPU. Best to just switch to high quality before rendering.

Funkspace

25 Sep 2017

One oversight with this synth... GLIDE/PORTAMENTO ?!?

Especially since it has a 4 poly mode giving you the sound of four stacked 80’s style mono synths. One would think that having a separate glide setting for each layer, would have opened up the possibility of some nice glide effects.

miscend

25 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
25 Sep 2017
miscend wrote:
25 Sep 2017

But in CPU it’s not.
Turn settings to low and filter to normal and CPU usage is basically identical. VK-2s medium and high setting algorithms are higher quality than Legends, they take a lot more CPU. Best to just switch to high quality before rendering.
They’re completely different synths with different algorithms, there’s no way you can equate the low setting in VK-2 to the normal setting in the Legend. That’s not how things work unfortunately.

The Legend is very efficient Rich has been coding high quality synths for 20+ years easily. Many people including myself feel The Legend better captures the vibe of vintage analogue. It’s a universally acclaimed synth that’s highly regarded even by some of the best ears in the industry. VK-2 is nice and has more features but isn’t quite as good sonically imo.

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
25 Sep 2017
aeox wrote:
25 Sep 2017

They’re completely different synths with different algorithms, there’s no way you can equate the low setting in VK-2 to the normal setting in the Legend. That’s not how things work unfortunately.

The Legend is very efficient Rich has been coding high quality synths for 20+ years easily. Many people including myself feel The Legend better captures the vibe of vintage analogue. It’s a universally acclaimed synth that’s highly regarded even by some of the best ears in the industry. VK-2 is nice and has more features but isn’t quite as good sonically imo.
I honestly can't hear a difference in the raw waveforms but I analyzed them for low level aliasing and that's where I came up with my statement. I've talked about this before in another thread, I think they both sound great. The only feature the VK-2 doesn't have is the feedback, which influenced a lot of nice sounds!

Mostly I was just saying that the low setting is a cpu saver for sure, without comprising much quality.

Loque

27 Sep 2017

Looks like a memory leak has been fixed.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/layers/
Reason12, Win10

Nielsen

01 Dec 2017

Layers is without doubt expensive for what it is, but I still think it adds great value to the rack. It's quick and easy to obtain some vintage fatness and nearly every sample combination across the four layers showcases its potential. Since I have a soft spot for these kinds of sounds, I'm more than fine with the fact that Propellerhead decided to honour the AM3 refill in a highly customizable package.

For some strange reason I also like the dull look of device itself. It has year 1990 written all over it, so cool nostalgic feel overall.

Now it's on sale too.

ltbrunt00

04 Dec 2017

Layers should come with reason or cost $49.99. I have trialed it and used it some more in my subscription but once I brought V2K, Zero and The Legend I would never use layers again.

V2K is a monster, I have been using it more than the legend lately. Both V2k and Legend are Amazing. Both are now my go do synths.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

mbfrancis

05 Dec 2017

I haven't read this entire thread, so sorry if I'm repeating anything, but this device was a huge miss for me, and it totally should have hit my analog sweet spot. Never have I been happier to be under-whelmed by a device when I trial-ed it....I was really scared I would fall in love with it and have to buy it. :)

I love the basic samples, they all sound really great, so it *should* be awesome, but for me I'm really missing global controls. The beauty in Thor's Multi-oscillator architecture or the NNXT's ability to grab all samples is that I can apply the same Amp Envelope, Filter, and Filter Envelope settings to the entire device. Layers is a pain to program. I'd rather grab sampled waveforms and throw them into the NNXT. My $.02.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

miscend

07 Dec 2017

So this doesn’t include all the samples from AM3. I hope they eventually add all the missing content.

dana

07 Dec 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
05 Dec 2017
I love the basic samples, they all sound really great, so it *should* be awesome, but for me I'm really missing global controls. The beauty in Thor's Multi-oscillator architecture or the NNXT's ability to grab all samples is that I can apply the same Amp Envelope, Filter, and Filter Envelope settings to the entire device. Layers is a pain to program. I'd rather grab sampled waveforms and throw them into the NNXT. My $.02.
Its not designed for that purpose.

Its designed more for percussive sequences with each channel having different effects applied.

If you wanted to layer synth samples, you could do that already as you said.

It really comes into its own when you use the in-built sequencer to create dancing psychedelic sounds by hitting one key.

• Information