Nostromo 2

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
xylyx

15 Sep 2017

rcbuse wrote:
15 Sep 2017

Also, Apologies to all waiting for the 30 day trial reset. I've been informed that this is no longer an option for RE developers.
So they are no longer willing to reset trials for a major update?! If that's the case then it shows the Props really want to see RE's succeed in the face of VST support! :roll:

Loque

15 Sep 2017

xylyx wrote:
15 Sep 2017
rcbuse wrote:
15 Sep 2017

Also, Apologies to all waiting for the 30 day trial reset. I've been informed that this is no longer an option for RE developers.
So they are no longer willing to reset trials for a major update?! If that's the case then it shows the Props really want to see RE's succeed in the face of VST support! :roll:
Hum....maybe they can earn mo money, if they sell VSTs on their shop.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

15 Sep 2017

rcbuse wrote:
15 Sep 2017
Damn, that's a shame. I can't see it eating into cash flow - in fact, in cases like this it's more likely that NOT allowing a new trial would eat into cash flow.

Maybe this can be re-addressed at some future point? I've made my opinion on this known to any Props employee who would listen, fwiw.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

zoopc815

15 Sep 2017

I tried this last night and i had never tried it before. Interesting synthesis to me. So far haven't scratched the surface on it though. Seems a lot of possibilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exowildebeest

15 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
15 Sep 2017
rcbuse wrote:
15 Sep 2017
Damn, that's a shame. I can't see it eating into cash flow - in fact, in cases like this it's more likely that NOT allowing a new trial would eat into cash flow.

Maybe this can be re-addressed at some future point? I've made my opinion on this known to any Props employee who would listen, fwiw.
Let's hope they listen and act, because resetting trials is something both users and developers like.

I can only see this costing potential sales :roll: Weird.

Maybe spin this off into a new thread btw, let us not soil the wonders of Nostromo 2 :)

fotizimo

15 Sep 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
15 Sep 2017

Maybe spin this off into a new thread btw, let us not soil the wonders of Nostromo 2 :)
Excellent point. I feel like we got much more than we should have with an unpaid update. There is just so much much more I can play with.

I would love to hear if people are finding variables or increases in DSP usage beyond what N1 used?
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

fotizimo

15 Sep 2017

fotizimo wrote:
15 Sep 2017
Exowildebeest wrote:
15 Sep 2017

Excellent point. I feel like we got much more than we should have with an unpaid update. There is just so much more I can play with.

I would love to hear if people are finding variables or increases in DSP usage beyond what N1 used?
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

chimp_spanner

15 Sep 2017

I can't remember how N1 was on CPU when I trialled it. I can tell you it is possible for me to make very high CPU patches (on an i7 4700MQ 12GB), but no more than something like eXpanse or VK-2.

Shame about trial resets not being available anymore. All I can say is if you're on the fence, don't be. Just get it. It's great :)

Catblack

15 Sep 2017

Here is a very rough test I did last night running a Rhodes sound through a Fritz with Nostromo's filters and delay routed into the Fritz. I didn't edit the export, the latter half is what I was trying for.

Nostromo's filters through Fritz is a total winner, you can randomize both and find a sound that works well quickly.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

SympatheticDissonanc

15 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
15 Sep 2017
rcbuse wrote:
15 Sep 2017

I have heard on the pickled herring vines there's a tangible reason for this. Expect news soon. My source doesn't yet know if it's good news or bad news. But it's news. :?: :o :ugeek:

selig
RE Developer

15 Sep 2017

SympatheticDissonanc wrote:
selig wrote:
15 Sep 2017

I have heard on the pickled herring vines there's a tangible reason for this. Expect news soon. My source doesn't yet know if it's good news or bad news. But it's news. :?: :o :ugeek:
I think it's safe to say there are more technical reasons than there are marketing reasons why this is not currently possible to do. Simply put, the system was not designed to do this, and it's not like they can just flip a switch to allow it. If the demand is there, they will (eventually) address this IMO. :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

theshoemaker

16 Sep 2017

PadShifta wrote:
12 Sep 2017
nooomy wrote:
12 Sep 2017
Please reset trials! :)
I wanna test it too! :P
Yeah, please reset the trials. This thing has become enormously cool and powerful, but my first trial period was ages ago and for almost 100 € I first want to make sure that I can fall in love with it and that it´ll suit my needs.
Thanks in advance :-)
I never said this before. But the randomize feature on its own is worth the price! Everything from the News Article is on point and not just advertisement. If you liked Nostromo 1 you will love Nostromo 2. Everything got better. Instant buy I recommend for everyone, who loves diverse sounds. Ambient is a perfekt match. But not specific.

Nostromo 2 is a Beast!
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

eusti

16 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
15 Sep 2017

If the demand is there, they will (eventually) address this IMO. :)
I like your positive attitude, Selig! But then we should have RE-resales by now, no? ;)
On the other hand we actually did get MIDI & VST support after all...

D.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2017

rcbuse wrote:
15 Sep 2017
I don't know if it's me but the filter routing does not seam to be correct. I can't get Filter 2 to route through Filter 4 (except via Filter 3 when 3 and 4 are in serial).

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
15 Sep 2017
I think it's safe to say there are more technical reasons than there are marketing reasons why this is not currently possible to do. Simply put, the system was not designed to do this, and it's not like they can just flip a switch to allow it. If the demand is there, they will (eventually) address this IMO. :)
We have the dongle, so it's possible that resetting trials might require manual action from Propellerhead that cannot be automated, or some arbitrary limitations of operations. If that's not the case then seriously, as a developer, I'll just say that such a feature is very much a case of creating a 'switch,' which really shouldn't be that time intensive unless they've done something fundamentally wrong.

I'm sure Propellerhead have reasons, but the limitation is not really "technical" technical and more to do with just choice.

But I do agree with the last statement about demand, as evidenced in our most recent feature additions.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2017

As a non tweaker the randomize feature is frickin awesome. I've gotten some really cool new patches in a very short time. I mean some patches are pretty crap, but surprisingly many of them sound really cool.

To be honest I haven't used Nostromo at all since I got it because it's too tweaky for my taste, but the randomize feature changes everything for me. Who knows, it might even become one of my favorites now.

Exowildebeest

16 Sep 2017

avasopht wrote:
16 Sep 2017
selig wrote:
15 Sep 2017
We have the dongle, so it's possible that resetting trials might require manual action from Propellerhead that cannot be automated, or some arbitrary limitations of operations. If that's not the case then seriously, as a developer, I'll just say that such a feature is very much a case of creating a 'switch,' which really shouldn't be that time intensive unless they've done something fundamentally wrong.

I'm sure Propellerhead have reasons, but the limitation is not really "technical" technical and more to do with just choice.

But I do agree with the last statement about demand, as evidenced in our most recent feature additions.
They've reset trials before, right?

Maybe it requires too much effort though...

rcbuse
RE Developer

16 Sep 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 Sep 2017
rcbuse wrote:
15 Sep 2017
I don't know if it's me but the filter routing does not seam to be correct. I can't get Filter 2 to route through Filter 4 (except via Filter 3 when 3 and 4 are in serial).
BAM! Good bug find. That was hard to track down but I found it and will put out a fix!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2017

rcbuse wrote:
16 Sep 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 Sep 2017

BAM! Good bug find. That was hard to track down but I found it and will put out a fix!
Thanks for the quick turn around.

Can you also confirm if you serial route Filter 1 to 2 that the Filter 1 select has no effect? (it makes sense it is done that way, however I could not see anything in the manual, if that is true it could be worth adding a note in the manual in the filter section...

Thanks.

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faastwalker

16 Sep 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
15 Sep 2017
I can't remember how N1 was on CPU when I trialled it. I can tell you it is possible for me to make very high CPU patches (on an i7 4700MQ 12GB), but no more than something like eXpanse or VK-2.

Shame about trial resets not being available anymore. All I can say is if you're on the fence, don't be. Just get it. It's great :)
This is the main reason I want a RE-TRY. I'm convinced by the synth, the upgrades & $100 price have sold me. But I'd like to see how it performs on my system before buying. Only a RE-TRY will allow this unfortunately. VK-2 was amazing but it brought my machine to its knees under a lot of circumstances. Maybe a 3ghz i5 & 8gb of ram won't cut it for Nostromo 2 either. Maybe an upgrade is on the cards? Actually I should be thinking about this before I buy an more RE synths to be honest.
Last edited by Faastwalker on 16 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 Sep 2017
rcbuse wrote:
16 Sep 2017

Thanks for the quick turn around.

Can you also confirm if you serial route Filter 1 to 2 that the Filter 1 select has no effect? (it makes sense it is done that way, however I could not see anything in the manual, if that is true it could be worth adding a note in the manual in the filter section...

Thanks.

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
Another one, When Crossfade is off it's only sweeping 8 slots, also with One Shot "on" you can only phase through 8 slots and not 9...

Loque

17 Sep 2017

I was just playing around with some filters and i had overdriven the signals pretty harsh. I noticed, than i play a note, and overdrive the signals everything is fine. If i now play a note with the same settings again, it completely sounds different. I found out, that there must be an overflow or some kind of limiting in the filters (pretty good seen in the display on set to osciloscope), while because when i reduce the Level of Filter1 and 2 i got equal results as expected. So maybe someone can explain, what is happening here?
Attachments
limitingfilters.zip
(83.54 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

17 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
17 Sep 2017
I was just playing around with some filters and i had overdriven the signals pretty harsh. I noticed, than i play a note, and overdrive the signals everything is fine. If i now play a note with the same settings again, it completely sounds different. I found out, that there must be an overflow or some kind of limiting in the filters (pretty good seen in the display on set to osciloscope), while because when i reduce the Level of Filter1 and 2 i got equal results as expected. So maybe someone can explain, what is happening here?
Very interesting sleuthing, I'm impatient to see what the Panda says. My 2 cents: the comb filter is somewhat self oscillating at high values, and will do so at a different frequency depending on whether the note starts at some high Res value, or Res is increased up to that value (probably because there is a feedback when it's raised, and no feedback when it starts straight away). I tested this:

- Set only one Osc, one voice, with only one slot with a sine (wave ba2).
- Set only one filter (say, Filter 1) to Comb+, Freq to min and Res to min.
- Play note and while holding it, increase Res to max.
- Quickly release and play the same note: it's different.

The effect is less pronounced that in your patch, but it's still there, so I think there might be something here (edit: considering that in your patch, the mod wheel modulates the Res of Filter 4 which is a comb+).

Loque

17 Sep 2017

Interesting point and yes, it is also modulating the res. In my patch you can the on the display that the sound becomes somehow destroyed. It lays on the bottom and is not centered anymore.
Reason12, Win10

rcbuse
RE Developer

17 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
17 Sep 2017
The comb filters will self oscillate, but these comb filters have non-linear saturation. They share the same feedback saturation as the transistor 4 pole, so it might not sound like most comb filters at high resonance. I was playing around with your patch and it behaves as I would expect with how you have the comb filter in there.

• Information