Nostromo 2

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

17 Sep 2017

rcbuse wrote:
17 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:
17 Sep 2017
I was just playing around with some filters and i had overdriven the signals pretty harsh. I noticed, than i play a note, and overdrive the signals everything is fine. If i now play a note with the same settings again, it completely sounds different. I found out, that there must be an overflow or some kind of limiting in the filters (pretty good seen in the display on set to osciloscope), while because when i reduce the Level of Filter1 and 2 i got equal results as expected. So maybe someone can explain, what is happening here?
The comb filters will self oscillate, but these comb filters have non-linear saturation. They share the same feedback saturation as the transistor 4 pole, so it might not sound like most comb filters at high resonance. I was playing around with your patch and it behaves as I would expect with how you have the comb filter in there.
Hum... Ok... Maybe i dont get everything here and you can describe, why the sound is different with the same settings? When i encase the modwheel everything seems fine, and when i leave it increased and play a new note it is completly different.
Reason12, Win10

rcbuse
RE Developer

17 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
17 Sep 2017

Hum... Ok... Maybe i dont get everything here and you can describe, why the sound is different with the same settings? When i encase the modwheel everything seems fine, and when i leave it increased and play a new note it is completly different.
You first note starts out with low frequencies. Those low frequencies excite and resonate a filter. Then you sweep upwards, but the low frequencies are still resonating/oscillating in the filter. On your next note, you are still swept upwards and do not have those low frequencies exciting the filter, so it sounds different.

Loque

17 Sep 2017

rcbuse wrote:
17 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:
17 Sep 2017

You first note starts out with low frequencies. Those low frequencies excite and resonate a filter. Then you sweep upwards, but the low frequencies are still resonating/oscillating in the filter. On your next note, you are still swept upwards and do not have those low frequencies exciting the filter, so it sounds different.
Ok, thx. Very interesting. That was meant with feedback,ok.
Reason12, Win10

svenh

18 Sep 2017

I guess I am late for the party, but me too realize that this thing needs a trial!

Loque

18 Sep 2017

svenh wrote:
18 Sep 2017
I guess I am late for the party, but me too realize that this thing needs a trial!
PH wont or cannot reset the trials. But imo Nostromo is worth every penny. Here are a few examples i made within a few minutes: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7503116
Reason12, Win10

etyrnal2

18 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
12 Sep 2017
etyrnal2 wrote:
12 Sep 2017

well, my workflow used to be, create one osc at a time while track was playing, click random until the spectrum and timbre i hear fit well with the track, adjust/modulate to taste, then enable the next osc and repeat until i had filled the space i was trying to fill.

This new method, i'll have to see if it's as fast/good.
Don't forget alt+click on a oscilator wave slot.
I saw that in the manual, but before it used to randomize ALL the waves slots in an that one osc.

I used to turn all the ocs off, then one by one randomize until i heard what what close to filling the space, then tweak, then enable another osc, randomize, tweak, until i had the sound i wanted. Now it feels like too much, not enough, or too complex... lol
:reason: :record: :recycle: :re: :adapted: :ignition: :essentials: :refill: :rebirth:

Faastwalker

18 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2017
svenh wrote:
18 Sep 2017
PH wont or cannot reset the trials. But imo Nostromo is worth every penny.
I agree 100% I'm just concerned about performance & only a RE-TRY can satisfy this niggling doubt unfortunately. They've done it before. I don't know what the big deal is. It should be mandatory for major version updates I think. I'd be happy with a 1-day RE-TRY so I can see how it performs on my current system. It took me about 15 minutes to work out VK-2 was going to be a problem until I upgraded my system significantly. Nostromo 2 may or may not perform perfectly well on my system. Who knows?!

svenh

18 Sep 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2017

I agree 100% I'm just concerned about performance & only a RE-TRY can satisfy this niggling doubt unfortunately. They've done it before. I don't know what the big deal is. It should be mandatory for major version updates I think. I'd be happy with a 1-day RE-TRY so I can see how it performs on my current system. It took me about 15 minutes to work out VK-2 was going to be a problem until I upgraded my system significantly. Nostromo 2 may or may not perform perfectly well on my system. Who knows?!
Lack of trial reset is indeed a problem. I have held off upgrading to Parsec 2 - I don't know if it is worth the upgrade since I can not trial it.

Faastwalker

19 Sep 2017

svenh wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Faastwalker wrote:
18 Sep 2017

Lack of trial reset is indeed a problem. I have held off upgrading to Parsec 2 - I don't know if it is worth the upgrade since I can not trial it.
And it's certainly a significant enough upgrade to warrant a RE-TRY I would say.

Loque

19 Sep 2017

Just a little question: Is it possible phase-offset a oscillator? Since it has a key-sync option it would be very nice to phase shift according to another oscillator and modulate it. Can this be done by using a different envelope?
Reason12, Win10

challism

19 Sep 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2017

Nostromo2 is very light on CPU in my experience. I have a pretty slow laptop (Intel 2020M 2.4ghz dual core) and I can get 11 instances of Nostromo all playing 8 voices per oscillator (and all set to maximum spread and drift) before I get the "computer to slow" dialogue. Just ordered a new laptop (i7 Core), so that will soon change!

I agree, a trial reset should be mandatory/automatic for any big updates. Why do they allow some and deny others? If the dev wants it, Props should oblige, otherwise it could look like they are playing favorites.

I dont think buying Nostromo2 would be a bad idea for anyone without a trial. This was one of my favorite synths BEFORE the update, now it's just crazy!.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

scratchnsnifff

19 Sep 2017

My very first impression of it when it came out was a medium cool response I didn't see it's potential at first, I remember thinking it seemed kinda neat but I didn't like the brown interface. Since getting it Iv found it to be one of the most pleasing synths. Great filters, custom wave table creation Reason style, and all the modulation is crazy. For anyone on the fence, il be another person to say it's so hard worth it!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

challism

19 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
19 Sep 2017
but I didn't like the brown interface.
Brown? Either I need to check my monitor or you do. ha ha. Did you mean to say gray?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

scratchnsnifff

19 Sep 2017

challism wrote:
19 Sep 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
19 Sep 2017
but I didn't like the brown interface.
Brown? Either I need to check my monitor or you do. ha ha. Did you mean to say gray?
I see gray on v2 but the the first version I see brownish gray (more on the brown side) I like its new lighter look as well
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Faastwalker

20 Sep 2017

challism wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Nostromo2 is very light on CPU in my experience. I have a pretty slow laptop (Intel 2020M 2.4ghz dual core) and I can get 11 instances of Nostromo all playing 8 voices per oscillator (and all set to maximum spread and drift) before I get the "computer to slow" dialogue. Just ordered a new laptop (i7 Core), so that will soon change!
That's good to hear about the CPU performance. I could do with an upgrade but it probably won't be for a while. i7's are not cheap here in Australia & I'd want to get a new motherboard & RAM as well. Going to cost a few dollars but it needs to be done so I can buy VK-2.

Faastwalker

21 Sep 2017

...... incidentally I've just noticed that VK-2 is on sale for 50% of the normal price. When did that happen? I'd definitely buy this if it wasn't for the distant memory from my TRY period where it absolutely brought my machine to its knees.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/

Bumbum

21 Sep 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
21 Sep 2017
...... incidentally I've just noticed that VK-2 is on sale for 50% of the normal price. When did that happen? I'd definitely buy this if it wasn't for the distant memory from my TRY period where it absolutely brought my machine to its knees.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/
it was part of end of the summer sale and sale got extended...

bpmorton

26 Sep 2017

How is this thing on CPU? I tried Mixfood Wavetable last month and while pushing up the release time on the amp envelope I got a "Computer too slow to play song" While only having the single rack extension in use and playing it by hand with my keyboard controller. Seemed to be an issue with running voices in unison mode. I'm running a new AMD Ryzen 1600x.

Loque

26 Sep 2017

bpmorton wrote:
26 Sep 2017
How is this thing on CPU? I tried Mixfood Wavetable last month and while pushing up the release time on the amp envelope I got a "Computer too slow to play song" While only having the single rack extension in use and playing it by hand with my keyboard controller. Seemed to be an issue with running voices in unison mode. I'm running a new AMD Ryzen 1600x.
Hm... Tbh, i think your machine can use it. But Nostromo has 3 oscillators, unisono, 8 waves per oscilator simultaneously, 4 filters, 3 fx and 8 voices polyphony. I don't think it will work with all stuff...
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2017

bpmorton wrote:
26 Sep 2017
Which Mixfood, ReMix or WT4?
Did you report this?
Have posted the patch up here somewhere?

I remember when FM4 was released that had real issues with the way "unison" was implemented and I only used the UN-16 if I wanted unison. Also I have seen the release env being the culprit to bad performance issues on several RE.

You should start a new thread about it.

Ref Nostromo 2, I have found it to be quite a light weight even when you do turn up the voice count and turn on all the effects and have a high release time... I run a basic laptop i7-4750HQ

bpmorton

26 Sep 2017

@Loque You would think any new RE should be OK with my system since I have a new fast 6 core CPU...

@ Carly(Poobear) Mixfood WT4. No did not report, I was trying it and had not bought it yet. Was playing one of the preset patches that came with it (a pad sound) and noticed that several of the the "pad" sounds did not have much release time on the amp envelopes so I mucked with that and after playing 6 or 7 notes started getting crackling audio and then the computer came to a halt. Anyway, I have a trial waiting to be used with Nostromo and will use it here in a couple of days when my new headphones show up in th email.

Loque

26 Sep 2017

bpmorton wrote:
26 Sep 2017
@Loque You would think any new RE should be OK with my system since I have a new fast 6 core CPU...
Yea, i realized it a bit late :oops:, so Mixfood stuff may have a CPU peak bug.
Reason12, Win10

bpmorton

26 Sep 2017

Ok I'm testing my trial version. Seems to work just fine. Low on CPU and the pads are fantastic! Really otherworldly.

Loque

29 Sep 2017

Oh noooo....i need automation for the 2nd pair of filters
Attachments
cat.gif
cat.gif (751.05 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
Reason12, Win10

bpmorton

29 Sep 2017

looks like you need to use two modulation slots to fully modulate the filter by one of the MOD envelopes. Is this a bug or a feature????

• Information