Nostromo 2

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ReasonTalk

12 Sep 2017

A year ago, almost to the day, Lectric Panda graced us with Nostromo, the Spectral Synthesizer. It had quite an original way of generating sounds: each oscillator would swipe through a list of basic waveforms (or “spectrums” - or “spectra” if you’re a Latin nazi), either fading between them or simply jumping from one another, in sync with a sweep LFO.

A year later, Nostromo 2 builds upon this to add some candy to the process, inspired by the numerous SDK 2.5 improvements that were introduced in Reason 9.2 - and also probably by the lessons learned in creating PSQ-1684 and Fritz.

Let’s check out what’s new!

Read the article here!

Loque

12 Sep 2017

Bam!

The mod matrix slots makes me horny, seriously. Only FM is missing and wavetable loading, but i guess this would not fit.
Reason12, Win10

Ottostrom

12 Sep 2017

Those randomization options are looking great! I hope Fritz can get something similar in the future :)

PadShifta

12 Sep 2017

nooomy wrote:
12 Sep 2017
Please reset trials! :)
I wanna test it too! :P
Yeah, please reset the trials. This thing has become enormously cool and powerful, but my first trial period was ages ago and for almost 100 € I first want to make sure that I can fall in love with it and that it´ll suit my needs.
Thanks in advance :-)

scratchnsnifff

12 Sep 2017

Can't wait to get home and try it out! I'm still wishing it had FM, but maybe I can somehow use the Fm feature from fritz, and also the new filters sound like a fun time :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

12 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
12 Sep 2017
Can't wait to get home and try it out! I'm still wishing it had FM, but maybe I can somehow use the Fm feature from fritz, and also the new filters sound like a fun time :D
As soon as i am home, i gonna check, if i can use audio as a source for modulation. Not sure if this is 100% fm, but might be get close.
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

12 Sep 2017

Trials should be reset soon, it might take a few days though as the process is dependent on PH and not Lectric Panda. Hold your breath...

fotizimo

12 Sep 2017

It looks awesome. I am so impressed with this instrument every time I use it and now there are so many new features. What a great overhaul! Just great work. This is pretty much the only Reason Extension I truly wish came in a hardware model as well.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Miss Controllerism

12 Sep 2017

this is one of the best Rack extensiobn you can have so fare, maybe better than parsec....

Bumbum

12 Sep 2017

32 modulation rows :D :D :D
ARE YOU ¤&#%/#¤ KIDDING ME??
this is really something else,again

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2017

Thank you Mr Panda... :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

etyrnal2

12 Sep 2017

ReasonTalk wrote:
12 Sep 2017
A year ago, almost to the day, Lectric Panda graced us with Nostromo, the Spectral Synthesizer. It had quite an original way of generating sounds: each oscillator would swipe through a list of basic waveforms (or “spectrums” - or “spectra” if you’re a Latin nazi), either fading between them or simply jumping from one another, in sync with a sweep LFO.

A year later, Nostromo 2 builds upon this to add some candy to the process, inspired by the numerous SDK 2.5 improvements that were introduced in Reason 9.2 - and also probably by the lessons learned in creating PSQ-1684 and Fritz.

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/09/nostromo-2/

So, wait... do we lose the randomize button PER oscillator now?? And the copy/paste per osc??

I used those constantly!

Are they gone, or do we just access them differently now?
:reason: :record: :recycle: :re: :adapted: :ignition: :essentials: :refill: :rebirth:

etyrnal2

12 Sep 2017

Nostromo is my favorite pad/ambient generator!
:reason: :record: :recycle: :re: :adapted: :ignition: :essentials: :refill: :rebirth:

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2017

This is what RE is all about.

Brilliant!

Catblack

12 Sep 2017

All this time we spent craving VSTs and really it's that the VST world doesn't have sonic marvels like this.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Catblack

12 Sep 2017

Oh, and from my experimenting today, I'd suggest that as you try out random patches, keep en eye on the MOD of the delay. If it's set high the sound will get detuned at the delay stage and can get messy quick. I am finding that setting it to 1 or 2 adds a nice vibrato. (Also using the mod matrix to set it to 1 or 2 based on aftertouch is good, too.)
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2017

One of my very favorite synths just got even better - way to go, Panda!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

mataya

12 Sep 2017

I'm trying to modulate using audio input, but keep hearing the audio from the source. Mr. Loque, would you please enlighten me.
Thanks.

mataya

12 Sep 2017

etyrnal2 wrote:
12 Sep 2017
ReasonTalk wrote:
12 Sep 2017

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/09/nostromo-2/

So, wait... do we lose the randomize button PER oscillator now?? And the copy/paste per osc??

I used those constantly!

Are they gone, or do we just access them differently now?
You can select to only randomize osc spectrums under section mask, but yeah, as I discovered, you can't randomize per osc, but per all osc at once.
What I also miss is ability to copy osc settings between them. Those are pretty important, cos you can get lost in those spectrums easily.
Still a crazy update.
Tx
M

etyrnal2

12 Sep 2017

mataya wrote:
12 Sep 2017

You can select to only randomize osc spectrums under section mask, but yeah, as I discovered, you can't randomize per osc, but per all osc at once.
What I also miss is ability to copy osc settings between them. Those are pretty important, cos you can get lost in those spectrums easily.
Still a crazy update.
Tx
M
well, my workflow used to be, create one osc at a time while track was playing, click random until the spectrum and timbre i hear fit well with the track, adjust/modulate to taste, then enable the next osc and repeat until i had filled the space i was trying to fill.

This new method, i'll have to see if it's as fast/good.

Loque

12 Sep 2017

etyrnal2 wrote:
12 Sep 2017
mataya wrote:
12 Sep 2017

Still a crazy update.
Tx
M
well, my workflow used to be, create one osc at a time while track was playing, click random until the spectrum and timbre i hear fit well with the track, adjust/modulate to taste, then enable the next osc and repeat until i had filled the space i was trying to fill.

Don't forget alt+click on a oscilator wave slot.
Reason12, Win10

mataya

12 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
12 Sep 2017
etyrnal2 wrote:
12 Sep 2017

Don't forget alt+click on a oscilator wave slot.
Yeah, or ctrl + slot to empty the slot.

tx

Exowildebeest

12 Sep 2017

I miss the copy osc functionality too.

How about in a future update, have alt+click bring up a dialog, to choose random waveform/copy waveform/paste waveform/copy full osc/paste full osc.

Otherwise: fantastic update, the randomization feature is mindblowing!

• Information