That battle of the 9$ synths

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kitekrazy

31 Aug 2017

I've been looking at Noxious and Kraft. I can only choose 1. I will have to wait till the next sale for the other,

Kraft looks easier to work with. Noxious as documentation. How are the presets for each one?

My goal out of this is to build up my RE arsenal.

Who has both?

Ahornberg

01 Sep 2017

You can demo both.

And take a look at the back panel!

Personally I wouldn't choose a synth in terms of which is easier to use. Time will pass by and after learning the basics you can go in depth more and more.

For me, Kraft is another supersaw-machine and with Noxious you can create very strange and unusual sound. It depends on your music and on your needs. So if you already own a similar synth, go for the other one ;)

moneykube

01 Sep 2017

can't get past the demos of kraft... wish there were a vid of the patches because I don't really like the demo songs
I choose noxious and happy with it... of course I am attracted to more obscure sounds
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Loque

01 Sep 2017

Noxious, definitely. Most IDT devices sound the same in the end, seldom they have something unique and i like to have some possibilities on the backside.
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

01 Sep 2017

I love kraft but my only downside with it is that I have to use a combinator with each instance to have any external modulation which it's whatever because that's how I work anyways but the rotaries get filled up quick and there aren't enough slots in the combinator I got noxious and it seems fun I'm loving it's modifiers :) I have both and really enjoy both
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

kitekrazy

02 Sep 2017

I went with Noxious. It has a manual which is great for the inexperienced with additive synths. Everything is in front of you for making modifications.

dvdrtldg

02 Sep 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
02 Sep 2017
Everything is in front of you for making modifications.
That's what I love about Noxious - especially compared with Parsec, where there's a lot happening under the hood where you can't get your hands on it

Much as I'm still a huge Parsec fan (and Parsec has a more versatile palette of sounds), Noxious is tweaker's heaven

Data_Shrine

07 Sep 2017

I got Mixfood Ambi ambiant generator. Not a synth per se, but damn nice. I love to fill up a techno track with nature sounds in the background. Will use it for more than that, though.

craven

07 Sep 2017

oh nice, wanted the ambient generator for a while now and the new update is great! Got Kraft and Noxious as well. These sales, huh!?
:ugeek:

Oquasec

07 Sep 2017

Any 9$ synths I see get snagged up with no discrimination.
an 18 dollar organ is a steal, an organ for 18 dollars get the fuck outta here lol instant purchase. :lol:
Last edited by Oquasec on 07 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Funkspace

07 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
01 Sep 2017
I love kraft but my only downside with it is that I have to use a combinator with each instance to have any external modulation which it's whatever because that's how I work anyways but the rotaries get filled up quick and there aren't enough slots in the combinator I got noxious and it seems fun I'm loving it's modifiers :) I have both and really enjoy both
I so much agree with you scratchnsniff regarding external any lack of modulation on the lower cost synths.
I have a few of the low cost synths from at least a couple of developers. I was hoping for a selection of basic synths that I can build out quickly from when fleshing out sounds and combining synths and processors in order to get what I'm looking for in a more organic way, but I found that quite a few of them lacked any modulation sockets on the rear of the units, which has led me to not utilizing the synths for much.
I'm a little upset about that because I really wanted a few solid, simple, yet powerful little synths in my arsenal... but I really did make the mistake of not looking at the back and assuming there would be cv inputs.

dvdrtldg

07 Sep 2017

You can always stick those $9 synths in a combinator and CV mod them that way

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
07 Sep 2017
You can always stick those $9 synths in a combinator and CV mod them that way
Yep.

Even on the RE with the most CV on the back (I think.. VK-2) I still need to add it to combinator for control over certain parameters.

RandyEspoda

11 Sep 2017

Kraft is a rompler, so has its limitations. Very nice synth but you'll come at a point where you get something out of it but then are brickwalled because you have something in mind that you cannot do, f.e. because it has no cv routing. A lot of it can still be done with the combinator CV in, though not always as easily and gracefully.

Noxious has an inviting rear-end, and it is just so much fun to fiddle with.
You can do much more with it, and imo get more out of it.
What comes out of it is not always your run of the mill sound :)
But it does take a while to get acquainted with, I agree.
I'm still not 100% used to how it works, but I def. like it a lot.

I would suggest to demo them both, since we cannot know what would suit your needs best.
Def. have a real good in-depth session with Noxious though.

• Information