Can someone please create this RE for me? (and maybe others too :-)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
keeverw

16 Aug 2017

So I use Reason as a live keyboard rig, and have for many years. I've tried Ableton Live and Mainstage, but keep coming back to Reason, for the sounds, and the functionality, and the fact that I can create just about any sound I can imagine in Reason.

That being said, Reason isn't really designed for live use. The only real bone Reason has thrown us live players is the Combinator, which is awesome, but could be awesome-er. :-)

In a keyboard workstation you can set each combi to whatever tempo you want. This is great because if you have tempo-based effects, they will automatically work with the song you are playing, if you have that set up.

The reason "combinator" (which was really designed with the workstation combi in mind) cannot do that. There is only one tempo in Reason, the global tempo, and it can't be changed from the combinator controls.

So my idea for an RE would be one that has slots where you can enter tempo presets, and then buttons under each preset to select that preset. When that preset it selected it would change the global tempo to whatever the preset tempo is. Then you click the next one for the the next song in your set, and it goes to that tempo. And just for good measure, maybe have "next preset" and "prev preset" buttons as well, so maybe I could assign some controller buttons to changes presets.

Any hope of this happening?
Developers?
Props?
Anyone?

ejanuska

16 Aug 2017

I think everyone is hoping a new combinator will arrive in v10.

keeverw

17 Aug 2017

ejanuska wrote:
16 Aug 2017
I think everyone is hoping a new combinator will arrive in v10.
That would be awesome. I'm not getting my hopes up until it happens though.

Oquasec

17 Aug 2017

I wouldn't mind Reason & Live being one daw.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Ahornberg

17 Aug 2017

See this thread for how to change the tempo viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7501987&hilit=tempo+remote
and use this RE for switching https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... cv-switch/

scratchnsnifff

17 Aug 2017

I suppose I can understand why the props haven't made a combinator2 yet because REs and stock devices have only so many parameters that you can assign and be set with 4, 8 if you throw the effects in the inserts but that makes for a messy sequencer. But now that we have vsts it's becoming more and more apparent that a combinator update should happen :) just for the fact of how many parameters there are in some vsts, like the ones with layers and layers and layers. Synthmaster has 8 I believe. I feel like there should be 8 knobs and 4 buttons and twice as many matrix slots , something crazy like 24 slots would make for some crazy programming! Also maybe have 6 cv slots but if that happens then have 26 matrix slots, I think the combinator should be able to have all the buttons knobs and cv controls have their own matrix slot plus extra :) might be a lot of work but that would make so many people happy
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Ahornberg

17 Aug 2017

Oquasec wrote:
17 Aug 2017
I wouldn't mind Reason & Live being one daw.
"Lison", the new DAW :puf_bigsmile:

Oquasec

17 Aug 2017

I'd prolly call it [Ideas]
Nyroid.
Propellerhead Live
Ableton's Reason.
CV Performer
Softwire Modular
And the list goes on
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

etyrnal

17 Aug 2017

It would be cool if you could just assign the foot controller to tap Tempo so that it's always tap Tempo-able at any time

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Ahornberg

17 Aug 2017

etyrnal wrote:
17 Aug 2017
It would be cool if you could just assign the foot controller to tap Tempo so that it's always tap Tempo-able at any time

I think Remote can do that.

keeverw

17 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
17 Aug 2017
etyrnal wrote:
17 Aug 2017

I think Remote can do that.
Yes, you can use Remote override to do this now.

To the main topic, I really would like to see something like a "setlist mode" in reason, that you can create setlist patches in this mode that have the ability to route midi from each controller to whatever combinator or instrument you wish, or multiple instruments. Also the ability to set a tempo and time sig. And also be able to transpose without affecting the instrument, like it would just filter the midi going to the instrument and alter it.

Basically incorporate the Korg Kronos setlist mode into Reason. That would be perfect.
It would show a lot of love to the many people who use Reason for live performance.

Now to expanding the combinator, I whole-heartedly agree. If the user could select how many knobs and sliders they want per combi that would be even better. And how many matrix slots. Maybe just start with one of each, and have a plus button on each to add however many you want. That would be easily compatible with older projects as well.

• Information