Anyone Using Futzbox?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mbfrancis

15 Aug 2017

This is on sale for $29, and I'm wondering if anyone is getting a lot of use out of it and what you're doing with it. Not a lot of comments here on the board.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Zac

16 Aug 2017

I use it mainly as a drop-out effect... you know the car is driving fast in the movie and the music is full and lush, then we need to focus on the interior of the car so you get the lo-fi car speaker music now. It's really great for that sort of thing. I often use it in breakdowns where the drums are being filtered. Whether you'll get much use out of it I don't know Martin, but I'd say it's well worth $29!

Loque

16 Aug 2017

it has several fx units in one, where each can be used standalone. That means 6 fx in one, where distortion has plenty of algorithms. Never realized, that i already had a noise gate with this fx :-)

i find it quite handy to get some specific lo-fi like cheap speakers, but can also be driven pretty harsh. the sound quality is good and quite unique. presets are well done. the gui is ugly and not that inviting imo, but its ok.

didnt used it that much, often forget that i have it.

its worth the 29 bugs.
Reason12, Win10

mbfrancis

16 Aug 2017

Cool, thanks everyone - purchased.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

challism

16 Aug 2017

I dont think you will regret it. I have it and absolutely love it. Use it all the time for all sorts of things.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ProfessaKaos

16 Aug 2017

Zac wrote:
16 Aug 2017
I use it mainly as a drop-out effect... you know the car is driving fast in the movie and the music is full and lush, then we need to focus on the interior of the car so you get the lo-fi car speaker music now. It's really great for that sort of thing. I often use it in breakdowns where the drums are being filtered. Whether you'll get much use out of it I don't know Martin, but I'd say it's well worth $29!
Definitely a great use. I also like to use it for adlib vocals for creating a deference in tone from the lead vocal. Great plugin, worth the $29 IMO.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

miscend

17 Aug 2017

It's a good special fx box.

joeyluck

17 Aug 2017

I'll also add that I am happy to have the RE version of this. I learned recently that their VST plugins require a USB iLok key. I knew they used iLok, but I was under the impression that the user's computer could be used as an iLok key, as is the case now with other plugins using iLok. I wasn't aware that some developers could specifically require a USB key. I was hoping to get McDSP's SA-2. But not ready to invest in a USB iLok key for one plugin.

Hauser+Quaid

17 Aug 2017

I kind of hate you for bringing this to my attention :lol: I hadn't planned on spending any money on Racks or plugs but this one is so tempting. Love distortion boxes.

modecca

17 Aug 2017

Made a video on it a couple of years ago trash talking it.
Since then, I got it during a sale and actually like it a lot.

🔗💥

dvdrtldg

17 Aug 2017

joeyluck wrote:
17 Aug 2017
I'll also add that I am happy to have the RE version of this. I learned recently that their VST plugins require a USB iLok key. I knew they used iLok, but I was under the impression that the user's computer could be used as an iLok key, as is the case now with other plugins using iLok. I wasn't aware that some developers could specifically require a USB key. I was hoping to get McDSP's SA-2. But not ready to invest in a USB iLok key for one plugin.
I got caught by this. Bought McDSP's Compressor Bank about 18 months ago because someone was offering a crazy discount. Installed it and then found it required a fucking USB iLok key

The weird thing was that I couldn't bring myself to shell out any extra money, so the Compressor Bank sat uselessly on my hard drive for a year and a half... until yesterday, when I finally bought an iLok key

It's ridiculous that some companies still make you use this silly piece of hardware, when it's possible to have your iLok account on your computer

joeyluck

17 Aug 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Aug 2017
joeyluck wrote:
17 Aug 2017
I got caught by this. Bought McDSP's Compressor Bank about 18 months ago because someone was offering a crazy discount. Installed it and then found it required a fucking USB iLok key

The weird thing was that I couldn't bring myself to shell out any extra money, so the Compressor Bank sat uselessly on my hard drive for a year and a half... until yesterday, when I finally bought an iLok key

It's ridiculous that some companies still make you use this silly piece of hardware, when it's possible to have your iLok account on your computer
Yeah that sucks. But at least you were activating more than one plugin. Maybe someday there will be other plugins I'm interested in, that will have that requirement, that will justify me getting a USB key. But again, many of the ones I've come across allow you to authorize the computer as a key.

When I asked McDSP about it, they said it was the most secure method for protecting their products. They also added that most of their customers already own one... Of course they do, they have to! Haha. There are plenty of potential customers like myself who are new to those formats. And we're coming into the game when it's possible for developers to allow the computer to act as the key; and many developers are allowing that.

I guess this is also a testament to Propellerhead's licensing system that McDSP seems plenty comfortable with that allows us to authorize to a computer or USB key. It's also not all of their products and it's a closed system...

dvdrtldg

17 Aug 2017

I mostly don't buy any VST plugins that require any hassle with installing/running/licensing. Hence no Waves plugins, and nothing further from McDSP until they drop the iLok key requirement

Oh and back on topic, Futzbox RE is awesome

Faastwalker

20 Aug 2017

Big fan of Futzbox. at this price it's a steal. I use it for adding a bit of grit, dirt, lo-fi etc to all kinds of sounds for my electronic / ambient projects. There's a lot in there. It's fun to play around with. You can loose a fair bit of time just tweaking with this one.

KirkMarkarian

05 Sep 2017

I am now! I just bought it as it's still on sale, and man - it's just a really nice sounding effect. It affects my sounds in ways that really add some nice character to them, especially if I want to thin something out and make it sound like it's coming from a lo-fi device. It's bit reduction also sounds way different than the Scream's bit reduction, as well as it's distortions. Sounds different than my other distortion devices. All in all, the gate and noise, various speaker models, etc. - they really provide a nice set of effects.

• Information