Just upgraded to Reason 9. What REs are worth looking into?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2017

Since I've been a Reason 7 user up till now, there's been several REs I haven't been able to try.

Proton, Oberon 2, Viking 2, Resonans, Arkana and a couple of others.

I'm leaning towards Arkana, Resonans or Oberon 2.
Proton might be awesome, but I can already tell the GUI is gonna bug me, all the menus and that I can't right click for automation. At least these things was the case with Vibro and I haven't touched it because of it, even though I own it.
From what I've read Viking 2 is a real CPU killer and judging from the demos it doesn't offer anything particularly new sound wise? Or am I wrong?

There are several synths that does sample loading now. Is anyone better/worse in your opinion? Pros and cons?

Any personal favorites from the latest Reason 9 synths?

eXode

13 Aug 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Aug 2017
Since I've been a Reason 7 user up till now, there's been several REs I haven't been able to try.

Proton might be awesome, but I can already tell the GUI is gonna bug me, all the menus and that I can't right click for automation. At least these things was the case with Vibro and I haven't touched it because of it, even though I own it.
From what I've read Viking 2 is a real CPU killer and judging from the demos it doesn't offer anything particularly new sound wise? Or am I wrong?

There are several synths that does sample loading now. Is anyone better/worse in your opinion? Pros and cons?

Upgrade to Expanse 2 if you haven't already! ;)

Viking 2 is heavy on the CPU in poly mode, that is true, but in my humble opinion there's nothing quite like it on the RE platform. It's actually my personal favorite plugin regardless of format for analogue style sounds at the moment. You can drive the signal pre and post filter as well as applying distortion as an effect as well, and then of course audio rate modulation. There's lot's of room for experimentation.

BUT you'll get the most out of it if you're a tweaker, there's a lot of tweaks to be done on the back panel that can change VK-2's character quite a bit, especially changing mixer and amp drive modes, and playing with the filter resonance drive and gain compensation (all on the back).

I would at least say try VK-2 for yourself and stick to monophonic mode if CPU is too much.

raymondh

13 Aug 2017

eXode wrote:
13 Aug 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Aug 2017

Viking 2 is heavy on the CPU in poly mode, that is true, but in my humble opinion there's nothing quite like it on the RE platform. It's actually my personal favorite plugin regardless of format for analogue style sounds at the moment. You can drive the signal pre and post filter as well as applying distortion as an effect as well, and then of course audio rate modulation. There's lot's of room for experimentation.

BUT you'll get the most out of it if you're a tweaker, there's a lot of tweaks to be done on the back panel that can change VK-2's character quite a bit, especially changing mixer and amp drive modes, and playing with the filter resonance drive and gain compensation (all on the back).

I would at least say try VK-2 for yourself and stick to monophonic mode if CPU is too much.
I agree with Expanse. It could easily become you're new 'workhorse' synth. Versatile, good presets and a lot of fun to program.

VK-2 I personally found frustrating. It really sounds absolutely fantastic, but soooo taxing on the system. I might have a track playing, then add a VK-2 for lead synth and just scrolling through presets everything comes to grinding halt - computer too slow. Major workflow killer. Worth trialing for sure. If your PC can handle it, you'll be rewarded. If your PC can't handle it, then Synapse The Legend is also amazing, but much more CPU friendly (even the poly patches).

Now you have access to VST instruments, if you like modern sounds check out Spire. If you like retro sounds check out OP-X.
While you're deciding, get some excellent free VSTs such as PG-8X (go to the Soundtrack patch).

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2017

eXode wrote:
13 Aug 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Aug 2017

Upgraded Expanse but haven't tried the new version yet. I've only scratched the surface with this one.
Maybe I'll try Viking 2. I'm not really a tweaker though.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2017

raymondh wrote:
13 Aug 2017
eXode wrote:
13 Aug 2017

I agree with Expanse. It could easily become you're new 'workhorse' synth. Versatile, good presets and a lot of fun to program.

VK-2 I personally found frustrating. It really sounds absolutely fantastic, but soooo taxing on the system. I might have a track playing, then add a VK-2 for lead synth and just scrolling through presets everything comes to grinding halt - computer too slow. Major workflow killer. Worth trialing for sure. If your PC can handle it, you'll be rewarded. If your PC can't handle it, then Synapse The Legend is also amazing, but much more CPU friendly (even the poly patches).

Now you have access to VST instruments, if you like modern sounds check out Spire. If you like retro sounds check out OP-X.
While you're deciding, get some excellent free VSTs such as PG-8X (go to the Soundtrack patch).
I own Expanse and I agree it's a good versataile synth. Definitely worth spending more time with to really get to know it.
I'll give Viking a spin and see what I think about it. Judging from what I've heard so far Legend sounds fatter to me. Legend is one of my favorites for sure.
I tried Respire when it was released. Not a big fan honestly despite all the hype around it. I kind of hate the fact that they sold it to people when it was obviously not even close to a finished product. But even if I ignore that I simply didn't like it that much. It sounded professional for sure but I felt it lacked character and it didn't inspire me. Too mainstream sounding for me.
For now I think I'll rather stick to REs as much as possible.

AttenuationHz

13 Aug 2017

I know exactly what you mean with Protons GUI. I felt the exact same way when I first tried it but once you start to use it you will find that it is among the best interfaces for RE's. It is rather intuitively done and having beta tested it myself it really grew on me. It has a certain charm that fuels your creativity and because its different helps you focus on what it is you are doing with it IMO. I would highly recommend Proton.

eXspanse is really wonderful I have not made much tunage with it myself but its my opinion that the LFO, MOD, envelopes and effects section alone is worth the price. Not to mention the filter section and the CV ins/outs. The shear amount of oscillators it has is truly amazing you can do anything with it.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

selig
RE Developer

13 Aug 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:…Proton might be awesome, but I can already tell the GUI is gonna bug me, all the menus and that I can't right click for automation.
You don't NEED to right-click for automation in Reason, in fact I find it to be an extra and unnecessary step. All you have to do is hit record and you can automate EVERY parameter in Proton and every Reason synth, no extra steps involved!
Much easier working that way IMO, even if what you want is to draw automation - just record and move the parameter in question, then you can draw/edit what you want in the sequencer.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

EdGrip

13 Aug 2017

I really enjoyed playing with both VK-2 and The Legend, but my 2014 laptop had a much easier time with The Legend, so that would have been the deciding factor to me. VK-2 has far more scope and versatility, of course. It's a real jewel in the RE crown, along with eXpanse.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
13 Aug 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:…Proton might be awesome, but I can already tell the GUI is gonna bug me, all the menus and that I can't right click for automation.
You don't NEED to right-click for automation in Reason, in fact I find it to be an extra and unnecessary step. All you have to do is hit record and you can automate EVERY parameter in Proton and every Reason synth, no extra steps involved!
Much easier working that way IMO, even if what you want is to draw automation - just record and move the parameter in question, then you can draw/edit what you want in the sequencer.
Thanks. I think I knew about this, but I forgot about it for some reason. Just tried it out. Right click will probably still be my go to way of automating since I'm so used to it by now and i tend to draw my automation anyway. But it's still very much worth remembering and it's good for devices like this. So thanks for that.

raymondh

13 Aug 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Aug 2017
For now I think I'll rather stick to REs as much as possible.
I prefer the RE format too, but just try this free VST and see what you now have access to:

https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/

FLVZ

14 Aug 2017

eXode wrote:
13 Aug 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Aug 2017

VK2 quickly became a favourite of mine, everytime I want to make a sound from scratch I start with VK2 and the oscillators in "clean" mode, which is great for sine sub basses, but the tweakability is heaven because for me its all about developing unique sounds and creating your own sound from the tools you have, I've never enjoyed sound design more, and its a bit strange regarding CPU, I run VK2 quite flawlessly on my 2011 Macbook Pro even the pad patches are ok, didn't think my MBP had that much horse power.

I love how easy it is to use Arkana and quickly get something different when you load a sample, but its another one which will need a bit of tweaking, plenty of options on the table.

I've got eXpanse 2 but I've not really checked out the new features that much. The modulation matrix functions better with the update though.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2017

Just tried out Viking 2 scrolling through a bunch of presets. Played around a bit with the filter too which sounds nice. It's cool but for my music and taste I still prefer Expanse and Legend. Viking 2 doesn't beat the fatness of Legend and Expanse just makes more interesting sounds imo. All subjective of course. So I think I'll skip Viking 2.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2017

So the last couple of days I've been trying out a bunch of synths, mostly scrolling through the presets and playing around with them. I'm sure I've missed a lot cool stuff with every device since I haven't been tweaking much myself, which sometimes is very important for sure. But still going through most patches with every device you still get a sense of the character the synth offers I think.

I already own a lot of synths so at this point I'm not gonna buy stuff just to buy stuff anymore. It has to both offer something new and fit the kind of music I'm interested in making.

This was my experience with the synths:

Viking 2
I like the filters, nice and squelchy. The synth has a nice character.
Still I feel like I don't need this kind of sound in my music. Some people praise it like it's the best thing ever, I just don't hear it. All subjective of course. Even though this has a lot more options and abilities than Legend I still prefer the sound of Legend. It just sounds fatter and bigger to me.

Proton
This one I actually found to be the most interesting one of all the synths I tried. It offers new sounds that I can't do with my other synths I own. I found the sounds pretty inspiring too. I thought the GUI would bug me but it turns out I don't really mind it at all. Seems like it's pretty easy to work with. I'll probably end up buying this one at some point, maybe soon.

Arkana
It's alright, I just found Proton to be a lot more exciting. This one sounded more "normal". Unless someone makes a super exciting refill for it I don't see myself buying it.

Noxious
It's only 9 bucks right now so I thought I would try it. It's ok. There's a couple of interesting sounds here and there. What I don't like about it is that most patches sound pretty harsh and metallic, like there's always something that's a little bit irritating on the ears. For that reason I'll skip this one despite the cheap pricetag.

Oberon 2
I preferred this one over Noxious. I kind of like it but still prefer both Parsec (which I own) and Proton to offer better or more interesting sounds.

Meteora
To be honest I didn't expect much from this one. Not a big fan of the GUI at all and wasn't very impressed with demos. It sounded better than I thought it would but I already have so many synths that I prefer over this one so I don't really see a reason to get this one, even for free.

Resonans
I liked this one. It's like a nice bridge between electronic and natural instruments. I can see myself using this one for game composing projects further ahead. I might get it when it's on sale.

(Parsec 1)
I did compare some synths to Parsec and I pretty much rediscovered it and found a lot of sounds to be pretty intriguing. Maybe I'll get the update while it's cheaper.

raymondh

03 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Aug 2017
Just tried out Viking 2 scrolling through a bunch of presets. Played around a bit with the filter too which sounds nice. It's cool but for my music and taste I still prefer Expanse and Legend. Viking 2 doesn't beat the fatness of Legend and Expanse just makes more interesting sounds imo. All subjective of course. So I think I'll skip Viking 2.
With the current sale, I ended up buying VK-2. It kills my PC, but I really like the sound and at the special price, I figured I would get enough value out of it even with limited number of instances.
I agree with your assessment - it isn't as fat as Legend, but it has more sonic variety.

raymondh

03 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Sep 2017
So the last couple of days I've been trying out a bunch of synths, mostly scrolling through the presets and playing around with them. I'm sure I've missed a lot cool stuff with every device since I haven't been tweaking much myself, which sometimes is very important for sure. But still going through most patches with every device you still get a sense of the character the synth offers I think.

I already own a lot of synths so at this point I'm not gonna buy stuff just to buy stuff anymore. It has to both offer something new and fit the kind of music I'm interested in making.

This was my experience with the synths:

Viking 2
Still I feel like I don't need this kind of sound in my music. Some people praise it like it's the best thing ever, I just don't hear it. All subjective of course. Even though this has a lot more options and abilities than Legend I still prefer the sound of Legend. It just sounds fatter and bigger to me.

Proton
This one I actually found to be the most interesting one of all the synths I tried. It offers new sounds that I can't do with my other synths I own. I found the sounds pretty inspiring too. I thought the GUI would bug me but it turns out I don't really mind it at all. Seems like it's pretty easy to work with. I'll probably end up buying this one at some point, maybe soon.

Arkana
It's alright, I just found Proton to be a lot more exciting. This one sounded more "normal". Unless someone makes a super exciting refill for it I don't see myself buying it.

Noxious
It's only 9 bucks right now so I thought I would try it. It's ok. There's a couple of interesting sounds here and there. What I don't like about it is that most patches sound pretty harsh and metallic, like there's always something that's a little bit irritating on the ears. For that reason I'll skip this one despite the cheap pricetag.

Oberon 2
I preferred this one over Noxious. I kind of like it but still prefer both Parsec (which I own) and Proton to offer better or more interesting sounds.

Meteora
To be honest I didn't expect much from this one. Not a big fan of the GUI at all and wasn't very impressed with demos. It sounded better than I thought it would but I already have so many synths that I prefer over this one so I don't really see a reason to get this one, even for free.

Resonans
I liked this one. It's like a nice bridge between electronic and natural instruments. I can see myself using this one for game composing projects further ahead. I might get it when it's on sale.

(Parsec 1)
I did compare some synths to Parsec and I pretty much rediscovered it and found a lot of sounds to be pretty intriguing. Maybe I'll get the update while it's cheaper.
I really like Parsec 2. I think it's a worthwhile upgrade even just for the Thor waves. The Piano patches sounds really good!

strangers
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction,

With the current sale, I've been doing the same trialing everything of interest to make sure I'm not just buying a reduced price tag. I have similar thoughts and experiences on a lot of the RE's you've mentioned.

Expanse and Zero are the only two that sucked me in. I'm biting on Expanse and skipping Zero, for now, only because I'm having a hard time figuring out how to program it and knowing which knobs are going to affect what parameter. Vibro also has my interest but the interface is holding me back.

One thing I'd highly recommend is upgrading to Parsec 2. During all of these trials, I've been revisiting Parsec 2 more and more (bought during the prior sale) as my benchmark and have come to realize how solid of a RE it truly is. I know omparing most to Parsec 2 is apples to oranges but still able to dial in much more usable, inspiring and creative sounds than I'm able to churn up with nearly everything I'm trialing. Parsec 2 has turned into my workhorse.

Loque

03 Sep 2017

strangers wrote:
03 Sep 2017
TritoneAddiction,

With the current sale, I've been doing the same trialing everything of interest to make sure I'm not just buying a reduced price tag. I have similar thoughts and experiences on a lot of the RE's you've mentioned.

Expanse and Zero are the only two that sucked me in. I'm biting on Expanse and skipping Zero, for now, only because I'm having a hard time figuring out how to program it and knowing which knobs are going to affect what parameter. Vibro also has my interest but the interface is holding me back.

One thing I'd highly recommend is upgrading to Parsec 2. During all of these trials, I've been revisiting Parsec 2 more and more (bought during the prior sale) as my benchmark and have come to realize how solid of a RE it truly is. I know omparing most to Parsec 2 is apples to oranges but still able to dial in much more usable, inspiring and creative sounds than I'm able to churn up with nearly everything I'm trialing. Parsec 2 has turned into my workhorse.
EXpanse is really powerful, especially the wave leading. The only that could be better are more modifiers. Zero is indeed not easy to program, has a few bugs, but a few more features for modulating and great FM. The FM matrix is a bit weird and could have other targets than frequency, but it creates unique sounds. Hard to make a choice. If eXpanse has more modifiers, the decision would be more easy. Take both of you can.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2017

strangers wrote:
03 Sep 2017
TritoneAddiction,

I agree with a lot of your thoughts. I own both Zero and Expanse. Both sound good and have their own character but I never use Zero except for the patches that comes with it because I too find it hard to get my head around. Expanse feels so much easier to work with even though it's a very deep synth too.
Your experience with Parsec seems to be like the one I just had so it's probably wise to buy the update right now while it's cheaper.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2017

Just bought the Parsec 2 update. Considering how many REs I plowed through 29 bucks isn't that much in the end. I just felt that Parsec was most worthy spending money on.

I'll probably buy Proton too at some point. Maybe Resonans also.

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
13 Aug 2017
All you have to do is hit record and you can automate EVERY parameter in Proton and every Reason synth, no extra steps involved!

I wish this was true for eXpanse!

I've ran into some things that can't be automated and it bummed me out. For example, automating harmonics from the OSC section in eXpanse. Unless I'm missing something here.

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Sep 2017
Viking 2
First let's hear the raw sawtooth waveforms at equal level. (soundcloud compression is really noticeable on raw sawtooth waves)

Download for better quality:

Can you hear which one is the VK-2 and which is The Legend? I certainly can't. So it's not the raw oscillators giving it this big sound you speak of. Other factors must be contributing to the "fattness and bigger sound"

Now I attempt to recreate a nice sounding patch I found in The Legend, with VK-2 (No Effects) This one might be a bit easy to tell the difference since I didn't change The Legend patch at all besides removing the delay and reverb. I obviously can't get them 100%

EDIT: I made a big mistake. Updated examples.

With that said, they both sound great and "fat" in my opinion. The purpose of this post was to squash that nonsense about one sounding "fatter" than the other. There is always something you have control over to get the results you desire on a synth.

The secret to The Legend is how the patches are made (cough cough, and the saturation knob in the back which is on by default giving it a "fatter" sound.. VK-2 has this on the front by the way called Drive).
Last edited by aeox on 04 Sep 2017, edited 2 times in total.

dvdrtldg

03 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Sep 2017

Viking 2
I've had a similar experience with VK-2. When I go to get "regular" synth sounds out of it, I usually end up replacing it with The Legend. So far the best results I've got from VK-2 have been as a noise generator. I just flip it around, randomly start hooking things up to other things and watch it go nuts. Sounds weird but I haven't been able to get that sort of thick, rich, harmonically interesting noise from any other device in Reason

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Sep 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Sep 2017

Viking 2
I've had a similar experience with VK-2. When I go to get "regular" synth sounds out of it, I usually end up replacing it with The Legend. So far the best results I've got from VK-2 have been as a noise generator. I just flip it around, randomly start hooking things up to other things and watch it go nuts. Sounds weird but I haven't been able to get that sort of thick, rich, harmonically interesting noise from any other device in Reason
You must of missed my post above, try to guess which is The Legend :)

moneykube

03 Sep 2017

number 2 sounds a bit better to me... I have tried neither so far so I can't tell
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2017

moneykube wrote:
03 Sep 2017
number 2 sounds a bit better to me... I have tried neither so far so I can't tell
I agree.

Even though they are at the same levels, number one seems to actually be compressed like a sausage (Edit: Fixed), and you can tell just by looking at the soundcloud waveform!

But like I said, they aren't 100% matching patches by anymeans, just as close as I could get ;)
Last edited by aeox on 04 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

• Information