Just upgraded to Reason 9. What REs are worth looking into?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
CaliforniaBurrito

03 Sep 2017

Yeah the second one sounds better to me too. It doesn't matter to me though because VK-2 and Legend are not supposed to face off with each other. Why anybody would want "regular synth sounds" from VK-2 or any synth for that matter is way over my head I guess. :roll: I personally call up VK-2 so that I don't have "regular synth sounds". I almost bought Legend to accompany VK-2 but I went for U-he Diva instead because of the monstrous capability and VK-2 still stands apart from everything. Legend is a big fat pony and VK-2 is a majestic lionfish. :lol: There's no comparison.

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
03 Sep 2017
Yeah the second one sounds better to me too. It doesn't matter to me though because VK-2 and Legend are not supposed to face off with each other. Why anybody would want "regular synth sounds" from VK-2 or any synth for that matter is way over my head I guess. :roll: I personally call up VK-2 so that I don't have "regular synth sounds". I almost bought Legend to accompany VK-2 but I went for U-he Diva instead because of the monstrous capability and VK-2 still stands apart from everything. Legend is a big fat pony and VK-2 is a majestic lionfish. :lol: There's no comparison.
Yea you're right, they are different monsters for sure. I was just talking about the raw oscillator and filter quality mostly.

At any rate, I actually figured out why they sounded so much different and corrected my mistake :D

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
03 Sep 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Sep 2017
Viking 2
I like the filters, nice and squelchy. The synth has a nice character.
Still I feel like I don't need this kind of sound in my music. Some people praise it like it's the best thing ever, I just don't hear it. All subjective of course. Even though this has a lot more options and abilities than Legend I still prefer the sound of Legend. It just sounds fatter and bigger to me.
First let's hear the raw sawtooth waveforms at equal level. (soundcloud compression is really noticeable on raw sawtooth waves)

Download for better quality:

Can you hear which one is the VK-2 and which is The Legend? I certainly can't. So it's not the raw oscillators giving it this big sound you speak of. Other factors must be contributing to the "fattness and bigger sound"

Now I attempt to recreate a nice sounding patch I found in The Legend, with VK-2 (No Effects) This one might be a bit easy to tell the difference since I didn't change The Legend patch at all besides removing the delay and reverb. I obviously can't get them 100%

With that said, they both sound great and "fat" in my opinion. The purpose of this post was to squash that nonsense about one sounding "fatter" than the other. There is always something you have control over to get the results you desire on a synth.

The secret to The Legend is how the patches are made (cough cough, and the saturation knob in the back which is on by default giving it a "fatter" sound.. VK-2 has this on the front by the way called Drive).
Both examples sound good and fat for sure. My assessment is probably mostly due to my ignorance regarding how to use Viking 2. I'll happily admit that.
But in the end when I started using the Legend I was very happy with the results right away. Playing with the filter section together with the drive and feedback made it so easy to get fat porridgy sounds that I loved. And I found it very easy to make patches that I liked.
Now I load Up Viking 2 and I just don't get where I want. The thing just seems more complicated and I don't know where to start to make things happen. I'm a retard with anything remotely technical which is probably why I get better results with Legend, I need simple tools.

I did go through Vikings patches (more than once actually) and played around with the filter. Even though I recognize it's a good sounding synth I simply didn't like it as much as playing around with Legend, for whatever reason.
I'm sure in the right hands Viking 2 can beat what I love about Legend and go even further.

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Sep 2017

Both examples sound good and fat for sure. My assessment is probably mostly due to my ignorance regarding how to use Viking 2. I'll happily admit that.
But in the end when I started using the Legend I was very happy with the results right away. Playing with the filter section together with the drive and feedback made it so easy to get fat porridgy sounds that I loved. And I found it very easy to make patches that I liked.
Now I load Up Viking 2 and I just don't get where I want. The thing just seems more complicated and I don't know where to start to make things happen. I'm a retard with anything remotely technical which is probably why I get better results with Legend, I need simple tools.

I did go through Vikings patches (more than once actually) and played around with the filter. Even though I recognize it's a good sounding synth I simply didn't like it as much as playing around with Legend, for whatever reason.
I'm sure in the right hands Viking 2 can beat what I love about Legend and go even further.
They both have features that are unique as well.

VK-2 doesn't have the feedback function which I love about The Legend. And also filter key tracking, which is a big one(please Blamsoft add this to Viking 2, I love you long time) ! Both of these features make it able to produce sounds that VK-2 simply can not. I Guess some people will just have to get both :)

eXode

04 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
04 Sep 2017

VK-2 doesn't have the feedback function which I love about The Legend. And also filter key tracking, which is a big one(please Blamsoft add this to Viking 2, I love you long time) ! Both of these features make it able to produce sounds that VK-2 simply can not. I Guess some people will just have to get both :)
VK2 does have keyboard tracking, you simply assign the Note source to one of the filter mod inputs. We've made sure to tune it properly so that you can play the self oscillation iirc. :)

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2017

eXode wrote:
04 Sep 2017
aeox wrote:
04 Sep 2017

VK2 does have keyboard tracking, you simply assign the Note source to one of the filter mod inputs. We've made sure to tune it properly so that you can play the self oscillation iirc. :)

WOO! Thanks man I'm still learning this thing :)

FLVZ

04 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
03 Sep 2017

First let's hear the raw sawtooth waveforms at equal level. (soundcloud compression is really noticeable on raw sawtooth waves)

Can you hear which one is the VK-2 and which is The Legend? I certainly can't. So it's not the raw oscillators giving it this big sound you speak of. Other factors must be contributing to the "fattness and bigger sound"
Not much in this but feels like 2 is Legend, not necessarily better sound but a different character which has less high end bite compared to 1?

jayhosking

04 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Sep 2017
Proton
This one I actually found to be the most interesting one of all the synths I tried. It offers new sounds that I can't do with my other synths I own. I found the sounds pretty inspiring too. I thought the GUI would bug me but it turns out I don't really mind it at all. Seems like it's pretty easy to work with. I'll probably end up buying this one at some point, maybe soon.
This was exactly my experience, and honestly, I've been playing with it pretty endlessly since I got it. Such a quick way to create unique sounds, and really inspiring.

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2017

Flavolous wrote:
04 Sep 2017
aeox wrote:
03 Sep 2017

Not much in this but feels like 2 is Legend, not necessarily better sound but a different character which has less high end bite compared to 1?
Interesting..

I will reveal which is which, soon!

Exowildebeest

05 Sep 2017

eXode wrote:
04 Sep 2017
aeox wrote:
04 Sep 2017

Just to be sure, what should we set the filter freq to, to achieve in-tune self-oscillation?

eXode

05 Sep 2017

Here's a repatch file for VK-2, but basically you tune the filter to 440 Hz or a division/multiplication of 440 Hz (i.e. 110 Hz, 220 Hz, 880 Hz, etc) and apply full mod depth of the Note mod source.
Filter_Tracking.zip
Filter tracking example.
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2017

eXode wrote:
05 Sep 2017
Here's a repatch file for VK-2, but basically you tune the filter to 440 Hz or a division/multiplication of 440 Hz (i.e. 110 Hz, 220 Hz, 880 Hz, etc) and apply full mod depth of the Note mod source.

Filter_Tracking.zip
Oh I see, so you just turn down OSC1 Saw and can play the self oscillation?

Edit: Well it seems that way but I'm not sure :D

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2017

Yea this is insane

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2017

Okay so

Saw 1: Legend

Saw 2: VK-2

As for the actual patches

Beating Saw 1: VK-2

Beating Saw 2: Legend

As if anyone could tell the difference anyway :P

FLVZ

07 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
07 Sep 2017
Okay so

Saw 1: Legend

Saw 2: VK-2

As for the actual patches

Beating Saw 1: VK-2

Beating Saw 2: Legend

As if anyone could tell the difference anyway :P
So in the first example Vk2 had more bottom than legend.

In the second example Legend had more bottom than Vk2 but that could just be down the patches not being exact because of stuff under the hood.

Thanks, this kind of reassures me that I don't really need to buy Legend, really enjoyed demoing it. Equally anyone with Legend probably wont need VK2 unless they feel restricted by it (boundaries can actually be great for creativity).

• Information