Some bugs / bad implementations in ReSpire

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
stp2015

12 Aug 2017

Is there a beta going on for the next update?

I messaged them when they were looking for participants, but never got an answer.

1) FX cannot get switched off, only muted (so you cannot save CPU by switching off Reverb, for example)
2) The remotable for oscillator-type is not working correctly.
3) There is no remotable for the oscillator wave selection

Loque

12 Aug 2017

There is a beta going on, but its quiet there since months. My feeling is they gave up.
Reason12, Win10

geronimo

12 Aug 2017

Bypass an effect (Delay, Reverb and other FX) is possible .

stp2015

12 Aug 2017

Yes, you can bypass / mute , but the calculations are still going on in the background. So the CPU is still calculating the Reverb, Delay, Shaper, Compressor etc, you just don't hear them.

Seems like a very easy fix in terms of making ReSpire more efficient.

Hauser+Quaid

12 Aug 2017

As far as I can tell that's how it works in the VST version as well w the FX. Don't know if that's something they did on purpose, but if the starting point was a port of the VST, that would explain why v1 is like that.

CephaloPod

13 Aug 2017

stp2015 wrote:
12 Aug 2017
Is there a beta going on for the next update?
Ha. The latest release is the next beta with these guys.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

madmacman

13 Aug 2017

Loque wrote:
12 Aug 2017
There is a beta going on, but its quiet there since months. My feeling is they gave up.
That was my gut feeling when they did the summer sale with additional full refund of the RE intro price on buying the VST.

Since I prefer RE over VST, I skipped the sale. Might have been a bad decision :roll:

Loque

13 Aug 2017

madmacman wrote:
13 Aug 2017
Loque wrote:
12 Aug 2017
That was my gut feeling when they did the summer sale with additional full refund of the RE intro price on buying the VST.

Since I prefer RE over VST, I skipped the sale. Might have been a bad decision :roll:
No need to support such a company. The sound of ReSpire is really good. From the functionality eXpanse is quite close and eXpanse has a few more, but the sound in ReSpire is a bit better imo. And eXpanse works better, stable and easier workflow. Sad, that the company of ReSpire presented themselves so badly.
Reason12, Win10

madmacman

13 Aug 2017

Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2017
No need to support such a company. The sound of ReSpire is really good. From the functionality eXpanse is quite close and eXpanse has a few more, but the sound in ReSpire is a bit better imo. And eXpanse works better, stable and easier workflow. Sad, that the company of ReSpire presented themselves so badly.
Indeed, this was one of my core reasons to skip: not to throw good money after bad.

I shortly thought about buying eXpanse during Props Summer Sale, but still being over the threshold of €99 didn't trigger my purchase impluse.

Let's wait and see. Maybe I'll buy it as a Xmas gif for myself at the end of the year.

etyrnal

15 Aug 2017

ReSpire is terrible. And when someone says it sounds better, unless you have identical patches on the two machines I don't see how you can say that. Or are you saying you played a Simple Pure Sawtooth wave on both machines and one sounded better?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

eusti

21 Aug 2017

Any news on an update for ReSpire?

D.

tanni

21 Aug 2017

I'll hope there comes an update soon. CPU usage is often terrible high. I cant use that at this stage.

Loque

21 Aug 2017

eusti wrote:
21 Aug 2017

D.
They replied in another forum. Looks like they are on something. No dates, no details, no promises, sry.
Reason12, Win10

eusti

21 Aug 2017

Loque wrote:
21 Aug 2017
eusti wrote:
21 Aug 2017

D.
They replied in another forum. Looks like they are on something. No dates, no details, no promises, sry.
I asked them on FB after posting here... They responded with "We are working on new update, hope it will be released soon."
I hope so too! :P

D.

darkman7

28 Aug 2017

I also hope they update soon too.
Almost all my tracks have bugs where respire is disabled so the work I have already put in is quiet. Hope this gets sorted soon.

Hauser+Quaid

28 Aug 2017

Just curious, what are some of the bugs you guys are experiencing? I use it all the time and haven't come across anything that I've really noticed. Seems fine on my CPU as well. I mean it's high but not much more than Serum or Antidote or other mid-high CPU VSTs or racks.

fotizimo

28 Aug 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:
28 Aug 2017
Just curious, what are some of the bugs you guys are experiencing? I use it all the time and haven't come across anything that I've really noticed. Seems fine on my CPU as well. I mean it's high but not much more than Serum or Antidote or other mid-high CPU VSTs or racks.
Honestly, for me, the biggest "bug" is the fact that when you hit reset device, so many settings on this do not zero out. All of the effects are still applied, and I am sure they are all utilizing DSPs. And on my paltry i7 Surface Pro 7, I can barely use one or two oscillators without the sound being degraded due to crackling.

I have stood up ReSpire against Spire (VST) and when I create the same sounds, Spire is hands-down more efficient. I know it isn't a bug, but with the various menus being "click and drag", I find it almost useless to shift through settings.

The thing sounds great, but the cost is time and effort and high DSPs. So I find myself going to other REs and not ReSpire.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

4filegate

28 Aug 2017

At this stage it is felt that it would be Perpetual beta or ‘banana principle’ is a sarcastic expression for the idea, still immature (speak: defective) product can mature with the consumer. Basis is the fact that bananas immature harvested, green delivered and become edible only after a ripening period with the inter-trader or even with the end user.

phuzzed

29 Aug 2017

4filegate wrote:
28 Aug 2017
At this stage it is felt that it would be Perpetual beta or ‘banana principle’ is a sarcastic expression for the idea, still immature (speak: defective) product can mature with the consumer. Basis is the fact that bananas immature harvested, green delivered and become edible only after a ripening period with the inter-trader or even with the end user.
Unlike a banana, an immature (defective) software product does not become usable simply by spending time in the hands of the end-user.

I'm not feeling positive about Respire / Reveal-Sound any more.

• Information