Feedback generator?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mbfrancis

29 Jul 2017

There are guitar pedals that simulate guitar feedback...play a note and then hold the pedal and it will simulate the amp feeding back. Are there any REs or effects in the FSB that do something similar? Thanks!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Loque

29 Jul 2017

I love feedback loops. You can use by routing send fx to a mix channel and enable the same send fx there. But be careful, that may produce harsh and high noises and could damage your speakers or ears. You can use this technique with SSL or Reasons mixet devices,but for distortion like fx you should use SSL or individual Combinators because of the PDC.

Also note, that some devices have break out audio channels and a back in. This can be ussed to change the feedback. Check out The Delay for example - a EQ, distortion and so on can do wonders.

Some synths have also audio in, that can be routed back again into the synth via their outs and ins and their mod matrix...
Reason12, Win10

jonheal

29 Jul 2017

I just discovered today—after eight years—that the Feedback setting in Scream makes pretty gnarly feedback, but you have to turn up P1 and P2 to hear it. At its default setting, no feedback.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

FlowerSoldier

30 Jul 2017

I used to do it with a malstrom with a loose envelope & a nnxt with the guitar feedback preset. It wasn't perfect, but it got the job done.

mbfrancis

31 Jul 2017

Hmmm, ok, I'll play around with these...thanks, all!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

O1B

31 Jul 2017

Give Polar a Look. There's S&H (Lock, if I'm not mistaken) and a couple of feedback knobs.
Good Luck

Oquasec

31 Jul 2017

To think all this depth comes from software that only has two types of cv cables in it.
Just two types, and people will be finding new methods forever
o_O
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

plaamook

01 Aug 2017

I think more interesting than a FB RE is the possiblity of building them. You basically start plugging shit into shit and see what you get. I'd have to dig up some of my old patches for this, mostly using Maelströms. I'll say this though, put a kill switch in somewhere. Very important when working w feedback loops.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

selig
RE Developer

01 Aug 2017

I just use a synth for this, basically just a sine wave tuned an octave + fifth above the note in question, with a long attack time. Pitch Bend for vibrato to taste, maybe some delay/reverb to exaggerate the effect. Been doing it that way for years both for adding a feedback effect to synths and for guitars - getting it the "real" way is always hit/miss for me.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

plaamook

01 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
01 Aug 2017
I just use a synth for this, basically just a sine wave tuned an octave + fifth above the note in question, with a long attack time. Pitch Bend for vibrato to taste, maybe some delay/reverb to exaggerate the effect. Been doing it that way for years both for adding a feedback effect to synths and for guitars - getting it the "real" way is always hit/miss for me.

By 'real way' I'm guessing you mean plugging things into the wrong plugs, correct?

Or here.

selig
RE Developer

01 Aug 2017

plaamook wrote:
01 Aug 2017
selig wrote:
01 Aug 2017

By 'real way' I'm guessing you mean plugging things into the wrong plugs, correct?
Ha, no but that's one way - I meant plugging a guitar into an amp and cranking it up to insane levels. It's easy to get it to 'squeal' and stuff, but not that smooth controlled feedback. That's why I synthesize it!

One tip to getting sustain, either from an amp or in the control room - touch the head stock of the guitar to the speaker cab (either guitar cab or even studio monitor). If you need to hear the track, either use phones and just run the guitar through the monitors, pan the track left/guitar right and use the right monitor, or hook up a separate monitor for this purpose. A separate monitor is handy to have for stuff like this or creating the "phantom snare" effect.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

strangers
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2017

Time for Boss/Roland to make some RE, huh? My only request would be to see Johnny DeMarco demo each and every RE.

mbfrancis

02 Aug 2017

Great tips all. Selig, I'll try your method.

I can get pretty rich feedback out of my amp, I can just never play it at full volume. I find a compressor and delay pedal helps.

wishinghand

05 Aug 2017

Softube makes a VST that can now be used with Reason. That's most likely the quickest way to get going.

AirRaidAudio
RE Developer

05 Aug 2017

Our three Elements Delays devices all include feedback loop breakouts. Can be very creative depending on what you choose to put in there!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... ys-bundle/
Our full RE catalogue: shop.propellerheads.se/browse/?q=AirRaid+Audio
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/airraid-audio
Twitter: twitter.com/AirRaidAudio
Official site: airraidaudio.com

Wickline

06 Aug 2017

selig wrote:A separate monitor is handy to have for stuff like this or creating the "phantom snare" effect.
What is that exactly??
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

plaamook

07 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
01 Aug 2017
plaamook wrote:
01 Aug 2017

Ha, no but that's one way - I meant plugging a guitar into an amp and cranking it up to insane levels. It's easy to get it to 'squeal' and stuff, but not that smooth controlled feedback. That's why I synthesize it!
Yeah, that makes more sense.
Still, plugging stuff into the wrong ports produces some very interesting stuff. I don't own a giitar so I needed a work around.

Or here.

BRIGGS

08 Aug 2017

A limiter after a feedback loop is almost mandatory. Things can get crazy!
r11s

O1B

08 Aug 2017

Nah.. a Compressor is fine, though. FB does a great job of revealing piss-poor equalization.
The resonant peaks are somewhat more accessible when there's 'some' amount of FB.

now, if there was a way to Murf through the spectrum to find those pesky - or awesome - buggers:

FB on Delay - killer. I like Elements RE by AirRaid... an EQ in the FX Loop and away we go.

BRIGGS wrote:
08 Aug 2017

BRIGGS

09 Aug 2017

O1B wrote:
08 Aug 2017
Nah.. a Compressor is fine, though. FB does a great job of revealing piss-poor equalization.
The resonant peaks are somewhat more accessible when there's 'some' amount of FB.

now, if there was a way to Murf through the spectrum to find those pesky - or awesome - buggers:

FB on Delay - killer. I like Elements RE by AirRaid... an EQ in the FX Loop and away we go.

BRIGGS wrote:
08 Aug 2017
Either way.
r11s

O1B

09 Aug 2017

Feedback is Good, when properly used.... it's almost invincible.
BRIGGS wrote:
09 Aug 2017
Either way.

selig
RE Developer

09 Aug 2017

Wickline wrote:
selig wrote:A separate monitor is handy to have for stuff like this or creating the "phantom snare" effect.
What is that exactly??
Sorry, didn't see this until now.

The 'phantom snare' is when you take a monitor, classically an Auratone (but I use powered monitors these days) on top of a snare drum then feed it the original snare track (often gating the source snare track a bit to prevent too much bleed from reaching the drum). You then mic the drum, often from the bottom, to add more brightness to the original and blend this track in with the original (usually at a lower level).

The result is 'old school' drum triggering/replacement/supplimenting - great for when your recorded snare is too dark and needs some extra 'buzz'.

Selig Audio, LLC

Wickline

09 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
Wickline wrote: What is that exactly??

The result is 'old school' drum triggering/replacement/supplimenting - great for when your recorded snare is too dark and needs some extra 'buzz'.

Oh that's genius. Would have never thought of something like that.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

calebbrennan

12 Aug 2017

mbfrancis
Report this post Quote
29 Jul 2017

There are guitar pedals that simulate guitar feedback...play a note and then hold the pedal and it will simulate the amp feeding back. Are there any REs or effects in the FSB that do something similar? Thanks!
[/quote
]

Now this is a topic that interests me.

As I'm primarily a guitarist but am bono fide synthesist.

In the past here I got some great advice on creating my own electroharmonix type effects using only Reason basic 6 ( noRE) and tried all suggestions from pluggging guitar into a maelstrom or Thor but ultimately the answer was in the scream overdrive and the pulverizerss modulation section ( which is laid out poorly but can get great sound alteration I was looking for.

The advice here on getting feedback loops is that Loque claims you can do it by routing an effects send
to a mixer channel,.. this did not work at all ,...please show a clear signal path example

Selig said ( you can synthesize it) or have a breakout monitor panned right
I get that. Good advice but thats not Reason creating feed back internally.

I wonder if it can be done?

mbfrancis

20 Aug 2017

calebbrennan wrote:
12 Aug 2017
Now this is a topic that interests me.

As I'm primarily a guitarist but am bono fide synthesist.

In the past here I got some great advice on creating my own electroharmonix type effects using only Reason basic 6 ( noRE) and tried all suggestions from pluggging guitar into a maelstrom or Thor but ultimately the answer was in the scream overdrive and the pulverizerss modulation section ( which is laid out poorly but can get great sound alteration I was looking for.

The advice here on getting feedback loops is that Loque claims you can do it by routing an effects send
to a mixer channel,.. this did not work at all ,...please show a clear signal path example

Selig said ( you can synthesize it) or have a breakout monitor panned right
I get that. Good advice but thats not Reason creating feed back internally.

I wonder if it can be done?
You can 100% get *delay* feedback by routing your delay effect return to a mix channel, and then send the return back to the same send. This is for dub reggae type effects, not shoegazer walls of feedback, which is what I'm trying to do. :)

• Information