Proton 1.1 in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ahornberg

18 Jul 2017

I really love how you can fine adjust parameters using [shift]+[drag-mouse]

PSoames

18 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
17 Jul 2017
SO many new features, almost doubled the feature list with this update.
It's almost like a totally new instrument!
Quick rundown of the NEW features added with this update:

Added third grain engine
Optimized GUI with improved usability
Optimized sound engines
Added pitch quantizer
Added stereo width control (engine 2 and 3)
Added graphic EQ
Added generic modulation matrix
Added button for cropping sample to loop start-/endpoints
Added second modulation envelope
Added new modulation envelope loop modes
Added possibility to set sustain point in modulation envelopes
Added a random noise modulation source
Added coloring filter to the delay effect
Added graphic amp envelope
Added 4 generic modulation CV inputs
Added grain pan as modulation destination (for all 3 engines)
Added expression as modulation source
Added sustain pedal as modulation source
Added per-voice MIDI key number as modulation source
Added main volume and pre-fx volume as modulation destinations
Yes, yes! But what about the important stuff, what magic is determining the position of the electrons in their orbit around the proton-neutron nucleus?

EDIT: Oh! Wait! They are actually moving at an imperceptible amount. What is the duration I wonder for a for full orbit?

DOUBLE EDIT: Are those trajectories changing too? You guys really know how to make a physics geek discharge his non Newtonian fluid.

Faastwalker

18 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
18 Jul 2017
This actually works on all Reason devices. Extremely handy feature.

I wish there was an option to toggle between normal / fine adjustment.

Ahornberg

19 Jul 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
18 Jul 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
18 Jul 2017

But here it works different! [shift]+[drag-mouse] gives you more space for each value so selecting a value is more easy than in other REs.

Majestik Monkey

19 Jul 2017

Big thanks to LoveOne & Giles for this Massive update PPA -1.1.1, & one I could not bypass ! its all Grown up now
& ready to do battle in the field of "Granular Tube scrapping" Not exactly sure what that means but it makes sense in my head :lol:

Ps love the Twitching LOGO :puf_bigsmile:

hamzter
RE Developer

19 Jul 2017

Ottostrom wrote:
18 Jul 2017
Before I pull the trigger could you answer me one question, what type of pitch quantization options are there now since it got added? Like what kind of scales can you do it in?
To clarify a bit, the pitch quantisation in Proton is applied to any modulation of the semitone pitch. There's a small keyboard in the pitch section of the GUI that allows you to select which scale steps to include in the quantisation. The scale is applied using the current MIDI note as offset. So if, for example, the second scale step is enabled and you play a C, then the quantised pitch will be C#. If you play a D, the quantised pitch will be D#, and so on.

There are two options for converting a modulation value (which can be though of as being in the range [0, 1]) to a quantised note. In the first option, the [0, 1] range is divided into 12 equal steps, each corresponding to a scale note. Then, the closest active scale note is used as the quantised pitch. In the second option, the [0, 1] range is divided into N equal steps, where N is the number of active notes in the quantisation scale.

There's an illustration in the manual that describes the pitch quantiser in more detail. The manual can be downloaded here: http://soundlove.se/wp-content/uploads/ ... l_v1.1.pdf

Best,
Gustav

demt

19 Jul 2017

any body know of videos of proton maxing it,the standered promos seem a bit tame,
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

selig
RE Developer

19 Jul 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
18 Jul 2017

That's true, what's different here is dragging knob vs dragging the value below the knob. Dragging the value gives you even more fine control than the knob - combined with Shift, that gives you 4 levels of control in Proton!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

19 Jul 2017

PSoames wrote: Yes, yes! But what about the important stuff, what magic is determining the position of the electrons in their orbit around the proton-neutron nucleus?

EDIT: Oh! Wait! They are actually moving at an imperceptible amount. What is the duration I wonder for a for full orbit?

DOUBLE EDIT: Are those trajectories changing too? You guys really know how to make a physics geek discharge his non Newtonian fluid.
FINALLY - was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice that little Easter Egg!!!
(Apologies if someone else already commented on this).

I love stuff like this BTW. ;)

Selig Audio, LLC

jayhosking

19 Jul 2017

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but:

I'm just trying this out and really appreciating how it sounds like nothing else in my rack. Really fun how ambient (as in the genre) this device can get with very little effort.

Any tutorial videos or manual out there that is particularly good at learning how to use Proton? I feel like I don't even know what ways I can actually push this device's sounds.

jonheal

19 Jul 2017

Can the interface elements be controlled remotely with the knobs of a MIDI controller?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Ahornberg

19 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
19 Jul 2017
Can the interface elements be controlled remotely with the knobs of a MIDI controller?
yes: see the last page of the manual https://shop.propellerheads.se/media/pr ... l_v1.1.pdf
no: right click & "edit automation" does not work in theyellow-brown display area

jonheal

19 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
19 Jul 2017
no: right click & "edit automation" does not work in theyellow-brown display area
Bummer.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
jonheal wrote:
19 Jul 2017
yes: see the last page of the manual https://shop.propellerheads.se/media/pr ... l_v1.1.pdf
To automate ANY control: hit record, move knob, automation recorded!

Selig Audio, LLC

Ahornberg

19 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
19 Jul 2017
Ahornberg wrote:

sorry, I meant "edit remote override mapping..."

selig
RE Developer

19 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
selig wrote:
19 Jul 2017

sorry, I meant "edit remote override mapping..."
That there too! (Sorry, I thought that part was already answered previously)

Selig Audio, LLC

Faastwalker

19 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
19 Jul 2017
Faastwalker wrote: This actually works on all Reason devices. Extremely handy feature.

That's true, what's different here is dragging knob vs dragging the value below the knob. Dragging the value gives you even more fine control than the knob - combined with Shift, that gives you 4 levels of control in Proton!
:)
Ah I see. That's cool. Getting close to just pulling the trigger on this one. Maybe next pay day ;)

stfual

19 Jul 2017

I remember trialling this and while i liked the sound of some of the patches I found it "a bit hard" and like others thought there would be a flood of 9.2 sample based devices which never seemed to happen. That discussion seems worthy of a separate post. Anyway I've bought it based on the feedback here and to fund some of the support that Selig has provided over the years and still find it "a bit hard".

Like most things i dont understand i try and start from what i do understand and build out. So for a new synth id start with a reset to sine wave and no modifiers.

To manufacturers of sample based devices i'd respectfully suggest that resetting the device and loading a sample should just play the sample. Or at least have a patch that sets it to "sample" play mode as a default starting position. Starting from there allows beginners to see what each control or modifier does.
Its actually quite hard for a newbie on this device. To anyone else trying , reset, select mode 3, load a sample , set size and rate is a good starting point.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jul 2017

stfual wrote:I remember trialling this and while i liked the sound of some of the patches I found it "a bit hard" and like others thought there would be a flood of 9.2 sample based devices which never seemed to happen. That discussion seems worthy of a separate post. Anyway I've bought it based on the feedback here and to fund some of the support that Selig has provided over the years and still find it "a bit hard".

Like most things i dont understand i try and start from what i do understand and build out. So for a new synth id start with a reset to sine wave and no modifiers.

To manufacturers of sample based devices i'd respectfully suggest that resetting the device and loading a sample should just play the sample. Or at least have a patch that sets it to "sample" play mode as a default starting position. Starting from there allows beginners to see what each control or modifier does.
Its actually quite hard for a newbie on this device. To anyone else trying , reset, select mode 3, load a sample , set size and rate is a good starting point.
Towards the end of the recent development process, this idea was discussed (along with many others). There was no time to add that specific feature and get this out before the Props left for summer vacation, but it is seriously being considered.

And while this device was never intended as a sample playback device, adding Mode 3 seems to imply that function. Can't make any promises, but we are looking into the possibility of adding this feature (and the best way to do so) at some future point in time!

Selig Audio, LLC

hamzter
RE Developer

20 Jul 2017

jayhosking wrote:
19 Jul 2017
Any tutorial videos or manual out there that is particularly good at learning how to use Proton? I feel like I don't even know what ways I can actually push this device's sounds.
I'll see what I can do! :puf_smile:

I'm certainly not a professional music maker so take this with a grain of salt, but I find that with granular synths it's all about the input sample you use. So what you could try is to load a bunch of different samples into Proton. Try vocals, single instrument notes, sound effects, music loops, anything!

When you have a sample loaded, go to emitter mode 1, hold a note, and drag the window in the waveform display. Shift-drag to change the window size. If you find that a certain motion through the waveform sounds interesting, try recreating that by modulating the window position/size via one of the envelopes. Try the other emitter parameters and see how they change the sound! If emitter mode 1 doesn't give you anything interesting, try the other two modes!

I find that I use the comb filter a lot to add tonality to the sound.

I also use the particle pan modulation destination a lot (with random noise or an LFO as the source) since it helps increasing the stereo width of the sound.

Best,
Gustav

jayhosking

20 Jul 2017

hamzter wrote:
20 Jul 2017
jayhosking wrote:
19 Jul 2017
I'll see what I can do! :puf_smile:

I'm certainly not a professional music maker so take this with a grain of salt, but I find that with granular synths it's all about the input sample you use. So what you could try is to load a bunch of different samples into Proton. Try vocals, single instrument notes, sound effects, music loops, anything!

When you have a sample loaded, go to emitter mode 1, hold a note, and drag the window in the waveform display. Shift-drag to change the window size. If you find that a certain motion through the waveform sounds interesting, try recreating that by modulating the window position/size via one of the envelopes. Try the other emitter parameters and see how they change the sound! If emitter mode 1 doesn't give you anything interesting, try the other two modes!

I find that I use the comb filter a lot to add tonality to the sound.

I also use the particle pan modulation destination a lot (with random noise or an LFO as the source) since it helps increasing the stereo width of the sound.

Best,
Gustav
This is all great. Thanks. I actually bumped into the particle pan modulation and loved the effect (with random "pings" across the stereo field). Comb filter is a fantastic idea that I hadn't even considered, and in combination with some movement, could really spice up a sound. Thanks for creating a really unique sound creator.

hamzter
RE Developer

20 Jul 2017

jayhosking wrote:
20 Jul 2017
This is all great. Thanks. I actually bumped into the particle pan modulation and loved the effect (with random "pings" across the stereo field). Comb filter is a fantastic idea that I hadn't even considered, and in combination with some movement, could really spice up a sound. Thanks for creating a really unique sound creator.
Here's a video that illustrates how you can create a cool sounding pad from a vocal sample:

And here's another that demonstrates how to create a bell-like pad/lead:

Enjoy!

/G
Last edited by hamzter on 20 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

jonheal

20 Jul 2017

This looks like a very powerful sound design tool.

One usability issue for me: I noted in another post this morning an issue I have with Parsec's faders in that they jump to a position placing the tip of cursor arrow at the bottom edge of the fader's handles.

This same behavior is exhibited by PROTON with regards to the rectangle the slides along the waveform. If you click the waveform, the rectangle jumps to a position so the the tip of the cursor arrow is at the leftmost edge of the rectangle. For me, it would be more intuitive if when you clicked the waveform, the rectangle would move so that the tip of the cursor arrow is centered on the rectangle. It is more natural to drag an object by its middle rather than its edge.

selig
RE Developer

20 Jul 2017

jayhosking wrote:
19 Jul 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but:

I'm just trying this out and really appreciating how it sounds like nothing else in my rack. Really fun how ambient (as in the genre) this device can get with very little effort.

One fun exploratory thing to try is to start with a patch you like from the included patches, and then drop a different sample into it. Sometimes sounds good (sometimes mind blowing!), and sometimes not, but almost always gives you some quick idea of what's possible.

Remember you can grab samples from the FSB, so even if you don't have any of your own lying around there's plenty at your fingertips to explore!
Selig Audio, LLC

Ottostrom

20 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
20 Jul 2017
This looks like a very powerful sound design tool.

One usability issue for me: I noted in another post this morning an issue I have with Parsec's faders in that they jump to a position placing the tip of cursor arrow at the bottom edge of the fader's handles.

This same behavior is exhibited by PROTON with regards to the rectangle the slides along the waveform. If you click the waveform, the rectangle jumps to a position so the the tip of the cursor arrow is at the leftmost edge of the rectangle. For me, it would be more intuitive if when you clicked the waveform, the rectangle would move so that the tip of the cursor arrow is centered on the rectangle. It is more natural to drag an object by its middle rather than its edge.
Yeah, I second this. Got me a little confused at first.

• Information