Proton 1.1 in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
hamzter
RE Developer

20 Jul 2017

...and here's a third video that illustrates how to create a "bubbly" pad with Engine 3:

Enjoy!

/G

jayhosking

20 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
20 Jul 2017

One fun exploratory thing to try is to start with a patch you like from the included patches, and then drop a different sample into it. Sometimes sounds good (sometimes mind blowing!), and sometimes not, but almost always gives you some quick idea of what's possible.

Remember you can grab samples from the FSB, so even if you don't have any of your own lying around there's plenty at your fingertips to explore!
Again, thank you both for the tips and ideas and videos! Much appreciated.

challism

20 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Remember you can grab samples from the FSB, so even if you don't have any of your own lying around there's plenty at your fingertips to explore!
Great tip, GIles. Yes all the samples I used in my patches for the Proton factory soundbank came from the Reason Factory Soundbank. I think all the samples from the presets by Poohbear (Carly) are the same (from R9.5 FSB).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moneykube

20 Jul 2017

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

moneykube

20 Jul 2017

ultimate sound design tool
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

jonheal

20 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
20 Jul 2017
This looks like a very powerful sound design tool.

One usability issue for me: I noted in another post this morning an issue I have with Parsec's faders in that they jump to a position placing the tip of cursor arrow at the bottom edge of the fader's handles.

This same behavior is exhibited by PROTON with regards to the rectangle the slides along the waveform. If you click the waveform, the rectangle jumps to a position so the the tip of the cursor arrow is at the leftmost edge of the rectangle. For me, it would be more intuitive if when you clicked the waveform, the rectangle would move so that the tip of the cursor arrow is centered on the rectangle. It is more natural to drag an object by its middle rather than its edge.
I've been examining other drag-able things. I think the behavior should be that it should not jump around at all when you click within the rectangle. It should just "grab" at that point and be carried off by your cursor, the cursor staying at the same position within the rectangle as you drag it back and forth.

A minor quibble, I suppose. I will shut up, now.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Ottostrom

31 Jul 2017

Any chance of getting a bigger emitter size? I feel like it would be useful, especially for engine 3.
Love the RE so far! Have gotten some really good use out of it :)

RequiemMachine

31 Jul 2017

Triggered pulled on this....with the 1.1 update it was kinda impossible to pass on that $45 price tag. lol
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

hamzter
RE Developer

01 Aug 2017

Ottostrom wrote:
31 Jul 2017
Any chance of getting a bigger emitter size? I feel like it would be useful, especially for engine 3.
I experimented quite a bit with the emitter size vs. rate of emission settings. The current max values represent what I thought was the best tradeoff between CPU load and flexibility in creating sounds. (A higher emission rate and/or longer particle envelope length requires more particles playing simultaneously, which increases the CPU load.) Also, I wanted to ensure that the device didn't have any combination of settings that could cause a "computer too slow" for a single voice on my target computer setup.

That said, it's always possible to add a switch somewhere to allow more demanding settings, of course. I'll give it some thought!

Best regards,
Gustav

Ottostrom

01 Aug 2017

hamzter wrote:
01 Aug 2017
Ottostrom wrote:
31 Jul 2017
I experimented quite a bit with the emitter size vs. rate of emission settings. The current max values represent what I thought was the best tradeoff between CPU load and flexibility in creating sounds. (A higher emission rate and/or longer particle envelope length requires more particles playing simultaneously, which increases the CPU load.) Also, I wanted to ensure that the device didn't have any combination of settings that could cause a "computer too slow" for a single voice on my target computer setup.

That said, it's always possible to add a switch somewhere to allow more demanding settings, of course. I'll give it some thought!

Best regards,
Gustav
Definitely understandable. Otherwise people would just complain that it is broken or unoptimized.
In my case I would be more interested in having a big emitter size but a slow rate, just to get some subtle textures in the background of a track.
A switch on the backside of the device would be nice :)

Libraquaricorn

13 Aug 2017

Is it just me or did I find a bug: I have a sample in Proton in mode 2 and want to modulate the position knob. I set the position knob on Proton somewhere in the middle, connect a Pulsar set to "random" to the mod cv 1 input and turn the amount up to 100 in the matrix. The position jumps around but only to the right of the initial position. If I want it to go left I have to set it to a negative value. I thought it would go both ways as long as I use a bipolar input signal. No?

If this is not a bug I would love a future udate that allows me to modulate "bipolarly".

Loque

13 Aug 2017

Libraquaricorn wrote:
13 Aug 2017
Is it just me or did I find a bug: I have a sample in Proton in mode 2 and want to modulate the position knob. I set the position knob on Proton somewhere in the middle, connect a Pulsar set to "random" to the mod cv 1 input and turn the amount up to 100 in the matrix. The position jumps around but only to the right of the initial position. If I want it to go left I have to set it to a negative value. I thought it would go both ways as long as I use a bipolar input signal. No?

If this is not a bug I would love a future udate that allows me to modulate "bipolarly".
Do you midulate the mod wheel or the position? Are you sure sfi have a bipplar CV? You can convert it with CVA-7.
Reason12, Win10

Libraquaricorn

13 Aug 2017

Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2017
Libraquaricorn wrote:
13 Aug 2017

Do you midulate the mod wheel or the position? Are you sure sfi have a bipplar CV? You can convert it with CVA-7.
I modulate the position. I'm sure I used bipolar cv (I've tried several lfo's).

kungubu

13 Aug 2017

Libraquaricorn wrote:
13 Aug 2017
Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2017

Proton manual p. 21:
"All CV input signals are converted internally into a unipolar range and any input signal value smaller than zero is clampet to zero"

Loque

13 Aug 2017

kungubu wrote:
13 Aug 2017
Libraquaricorn wrote:
13 Aug 2017

Proton manual p. 21:
"All CV input signals are converted internally into a unipolar range and any input signal value smaller than zero is clampet to zero"
Ok. Bipolar is the most CV i use, so thats not so good. Than its not a big, it's a feature :-D

You can go around this limitation by starting at your position range and phase shift the LFO if possible.
Reason12, Win10

Libraquaricorn

13 Aug 2017

kungubu wrote:
13 Aug 2017
Libraquaricorn wrote:
13 Aug 2017

Proton manual p. 21:
Thanks, I've skimmed through the manual several times but missed out on that passage. My bad! Wish I had the bipolar range, although I'm sure the developers had good reasons for this design. Still in awe of the new Proton!

kungubu

14 Aug 2017

Libraquaricorn wrote:
13 Aug 2017
kungubu wrote:
13 Aug 2017

Proton manual p. 21:
Thanks, I've skimmed through the manual several times but missed out on that passage. My bad! Wish I had the bipolar range, although I'm sure the developers had good reasons for this design. Still in awe of the new Proton!
If you modulate the position via the position input on the back with a bipolar cv signal you get a bipolar modulation though.

Libraquaricorn

14 Aug 2017

kungubu wrote:
14 Aug 2017
Libraquaricorn wrote:
13 Aug 2017

If you modulate the position via the position input on the back with a bipolar cv signal you get a bipolar modulation though.
:oops: Thanks man, that takes perfectly care of that. :lol: Sometimes you can't see the forest for all the trees, you know...

• Information