Rumble K1 Granular Synthesizer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Oenkenstein
RE Developer

10 Jul 2017

Hi,

I just released my first Rack Extension, Rumble K1 and it is available in the Propellerhead Shop.
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (740.4 KiB) Viewed 5698 times
What is Rumble?
Rumble is an additive wavetable granular synthesizer.

It is an emulation of an additive wavetable Kawai K1 digital synthesizer from 1985, but has granular synthesis added and 3 extra oscillators. 1985 and 2017 combined.
This device mimics the operation system and the naming conventions on a Kawai K1.
However, the sounds of the basic short cycled wave loops used as oscillators are totally different.

A Rumble sample contains 4 wave loop oscillators and you can scroll through each wave loop oscillator. Each wave loop is divided in 100 very short sample parts or grains. One grain holds information about the characteristics of a sampled instrument, like a bass, piano and organ. It also can be a part of a very long recording like a cassette-tape rewinding.

While playing the keyboard, you can scroll, in real time, through 40 Rumble samples containing 4 scrollable wave loop oscillators, each with 100 grains, producing 16000 different perfect pitched sound sources to start building your patches.

The hardware version contains an operation system build in such a way, most of the 39 sonic functions on the 4 short cycled wave loop oscillators can be controlled by a MIDI keyboard. The modulation matrix in Rumble is built to achieve the same goal as in the hardware version: Playability.

Rumble derives its name from legendary guitar 101 hero and inventor of the power chord Link Wray, who used to poke a pencil in an amplifier speaker to get a gritty, distorted sound.

Specifications:
- Wavetable and granular synthesis combined.
- 7 oscillator synthesizer.
- Shaper.
- Amp Envelope, Vibrato (LFO), Auto Bend, Aftertouch, Frequency (Pitch), Filter Envelope, Low Key and High Key, Low Velocity and High velocity sections.
- 3 Effects: Phaser, Rotary and several Low, High and Band Pass Filters.
- Modulation Matrix: 13 slots, 25 sources.
- Patches made by well known sound designers, including patches from Navi Retlav.
- Sample bank of maximum 16000 sounds allowing extensive sound sculpturing.

The price is set to Euro 79,00.

I hope you like the device and have a lot fun.

Let's Rumble,

/Ed Gool
Oenkenstein Audio.

dioxide

10 Jul 2017

Looks interesting. I used to have a K1 so I'm interested in those aspects of this device. Do the envelopes have Delay? Or is the Timing something else?

Also if I recall correctly the K1 could use AM on two of the oscillators (partials) including the samples. Is this possible with Rumble?

Sample loading would be nice also as I have some K1 wave samples.

challism

10 Jul 2017

Congratulations on your first release, Ed. I had a blast playing with this in beta. It is capable of making some very interesting and quirky sounds. You did a great job putting together the soundbank for this thing. I hope it does well for you in the shop.

I love the rotary effect on this device. And one of my favorite things to do is to automate the wave loop scrolling (or assign it to a combi knob and tweak away while playing). There are so many knobs, I can get lost for hours just tweaking away. Give it a try!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

scratchnsnifff

10 Jul 2017

What's auto bend? Is that like a warp mode or wave modifier? Or is it something to do with pitch bending?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

10 Jul 2017

dioxide wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Looks interesting. I used to have a K1 so I'm interested in those aspects of this device. Do the envelopes have Delay? Or is the Timing something else?

Also if I recall correctly the K1 could use AM on two of the oscillators (partials) including the samples. Is this possible with Rumble?

Sample loading would be nice also as I have some K1 wave samples.
The Amp and Filter envelopes have only ADSR and in the Modulation Matrix you can set Hold too, but a delay is not present.
Rumble K1 has AM or Ring Modulation, but you can only use the Sine Osc as a carrier for the four Wave Loops. It is a bit different compared to the original Kawai K1 hardware.

I have sampled all the 256 basic short cycled waveloops from the Kawai K1, but could not include them into a commercial product, because of legal issues. So, sample loading would be really cool. It would enable you recreate patches from the original hardware version. This Rack Extensions is an IDT and it is not possible yet with the latest SDK, to load sample into an IDT, but I think the future will be bright.

Loque

10 Jul 2017

Gratulation to your first RE release!
Reason12, Win10

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

10 Jul 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
10 Jul 2017
What's auto bend? Is that like a warp mode or wave modifier? Or is it something to do with pitch bending?
Rumble has 17 ways of changing the pitch of the four main oscillators. Auto Bend is just one of them and it is pitch bending of the four Wave Loops or oscillators. With aid of the Modulation Matrix, you can set around 25 sources to alter the Auto Bend, including 10 curves. The Auto Bend function is somewhat similar to setting a Mod Env affecting the pitch on a NN-XT.

WongoTheSane

10 Jul 2017

Nice to see Rumble in the shop at last! :)

It's strong suit (IMHO) is that it doesn't conform to the standard programming flow we've grown accustomed to. The Release Timer, Vibrato section, Auto Bend section and Frequency section, notably, can lead to completely unexpected sounds. And the choice of wavetables - based on a few instruments + numerous sound effects - lends itself to sounds reminding of the sampling craze that followed the first affordable samplers in the eighties (Prophet 2000, Akai S1000, E-mu, etc). It works for both instruments (pads, keys...) and noises/foley/textures.

I would strongly advise to trial it as the complexity of the wave loops modes and Scroll mode make it difficult to cover in a single video. It's both a sample player and a granular synth, and both modes can be mix and matched over 4 oscillators. Add to that the fact that each mode can be modulated by lots of sources (and merged with the Sub, Sine and the rather unusual Super), and you'll get an idea of how deep this goes!

Marco Raaphorst

10 Jul 2017

Congrads with your first big release fellow Dutch collegue!

Btw most people don't know this but Ed and I live in the same town. Small Reason world 😎

scratchnsnifff

10 Jul 2017

I noticed the price says 79 but it also is marked up in red like it's on sale, but it's still 79 :p
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2017

Nektar mapping is available for download

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7491466&p=343054#p343054

Congrats on the release of Rumble...

This is one synth that's is worth trying out for sure..... Having great fun with it......

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

10 Jul 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
10 Jul 2017
I noticed the price says 79 but it also is marked up in red like it's on sale, but it's still 79 :p
Nice catch! Thank you for the remark.

It's my first Rack Extension and I am not really familiar with designing the Prop shop pages yet. There are more small errors on the shop page: The introduction video on Youtube is not in HD, the description contains some typo's and the link to the Rumble Demo Song does not work. The Prop shop page will be updated tomorrow (Tuesday) after I have received some information from the Props.

The price remains the same though.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

10 Jul 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Nektar mapping is available for download

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7491466&p=343054#p343054

Congrats on the release of Rumble...

This is one synth that's is worth trying out for sure..... Having great fun with it......
Thank you so much for the remote map. Great job Carly. Thumbs up!

joel

11 Jul 2017

congratulations to this release, i bought it , and i like it very much
it sound very different than the others rack extension
i used to have also the kawai K1 ( and the K3 , K4 )
the patches are not from the k1 ( i would like to find them one day ) but there are very original,
it's funny to play with this rumble
thank you

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

12 Jul 2017

joel wrote:
11 Jul 2017
congratulations to this release, i bought it , and i like it very much
it sound very different than the others rack extension
i used to have also the kawai K1 ( and the K3 , K4 )
the patches are not from the k1 ( i would like to find them one day ) but there are very original,
it's funny to play with this rumble
thank you
Thank you for the purchase. Yes, it is a weird beast. Reading you like Rumble and that it is fun to play with, makes my day. Cheers!

geronimo

09 Nov 2017

Rumble in promotion until the first of December 2017.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/

EnochLight

16 Feb 2018

Oenkenstein wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Hi,

I just released my first Rack Extension, Rumble K1 and it is available in the Propellerhead Shop.
Ed, looks like Rumble was updated to Version: 1.0.10 yesterday. Any notes on the change log?

Cheers
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

16 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
16 Feb 2018
Oenkenstein wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Hi,

Ed, looks like Rumble was updated to Version: 1.0.10 yesterday. Any notes on the change log?

Cheers
Except from the price and an edit in the description of the product there no changes.

I am busy with the release of another two RE's and while setting up sales pages, Rumble K1 got deleted by accident from the Prop Shop for a few hours. Sorry for the inconvenience. Developers are humans too.

Rumble K1 Granular Synthesizer now costs Euro 39,00 and the price reduction last until March 2, 2018.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

10 Jul 2018

Hooray! Rumble K1 Granular Synthesizer got released one year ago. It is time to celebrate this moment with a 50% price reduction which last until 31, July, 2018. Get a license for Euro 25.00 at:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/
Last edited by Oenkenstein on 11 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2018

Oenkenstein wrote:
10 Jul 2018
Get a license for Euro 25,00 at:
It looks really expensive the way you have written it there using a comma instead of a point (full stop).

Get a license for Euro 25 (or 23 quid only) at:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/ :D :D

It's a fun synth....

and wow a year already, good luck for the future...

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

jimmyklane

10 Jul 2018

Oenkenstein wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Hi,

Front.jpg

What is Rumble?
Rumble is an additive wavetable granular synthesizer.

It is an emulation of an additive wavetable Kawai K1 digital synthesizer from 1985, but has granular synthesis added and 3 extra oscillators. 1985 and 2017 combined.
This device mimics the operation system and the naming conventions on a Kawai K1.
However, the sounds of the basic short cycled wave loops used as oscillators are totally different.

A Rumble sample contains 4 wave loop oscillators and you can scroll through each wave loop oscillator. Each wave loop is divided in 100 very short sample parts or grains. One grain holds information about the characteristics of a sampled instrument, like a bass, piano and organ. It also can be a part of a very long recording like a cassette-tape rewinding.

While playing the keyboard, you can scroll, in real time, through 40 Rumble samples containing 4 scrollable wave loop oscillators, each with 100 grains, producing 16000 different perfect pitched sound sources to start building your patches.

The hardware version contains an operation system build in such a way, most of the 39 sonic functions on the 4 short cycled wave loop oscillators can be controlled by a MIDI keyboard. The modulation matrix in Rumble is built to achieve the same goal as in the hardware version: Playability.

Rumble derives its name from legendary guitar 101 hero and inventor of the power chord Link Wray, who used to poke a pencil in an amplifier speaker to get a gritty, distorted sound.

Specifications:
- Wavetable and granular synthesis combined.
- 7 oscillator synthesizer.
- Shaper.
- Amp Envelope, Vibrato (LFO), Auto Bend, Aftertouch, Frequency (Pitch), Filter Envelope, Low Key and High Key, Low Velocity and High velocity sections.
- 3 Effects: Phaser, Rotary and several Low, High and Band Pass Filters.
- Modulation Matrix: 13 slots, 25 sources.
- Patches made by well known sound designers, including patches from Navi Retlav.
- Sample bank of maximum 16000 sounds allowing extensive sound sculpturing.

The price is set to Euro 79,00.

I hope you like the device and have a lot fun.

Let's Rumble,

/Ed Gool
Oenkenstein Audio.
GOOD FOR YOU!!! I’m happy for you that you’ve released your first product! I will most certainly try this one out, as I’m *ALWAYS* looking for new sounds to put into my hardware samplers! $79 seems like a fair price for something that seems deep enough to really never run out of fresh sounds.

I’ll be posting some feedback here in this thread once I have the chance to play with this a bit.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

CephaloPod

10 Jul 2018

I really like the efficient and clear layout. It has a very logical workflow. Too often, synth UIs sacrifice function for form.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

dvdrtldg

10 Jul 2018

It's a very cool synth, nothing else like it in the shop

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

11 Jul 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
10 Jul 2018

It looks really expensive the way you have written it there using a comma instead of a point (full stop).

and wow a year already, good luck for the future...
Thanks for the correction. And reminder. I had a quick look at the code for an upcoming RE, just to make sure all the values for ms, kHz, dB etc had a comma on the right place, just to find out all the values had a point.

Time flies, but the future is looking bright, thanks to the release of the Gorilla Engine.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

11 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
10 Jul 2018

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I’m happy for you that you’ve released your first product! I will most certainly try this one out, as I’m *ALWAYS* looking for new sounds to put into my hardware samplers! $79 seems like a fair price for something that seems deep enough to really never run out of fresh sounds.

I’ll be posting some feedback here in this thread once I have the chance to play with this a bit.
I think you have read the first post in this thread from a year ago. In the meantime the product price is reduced to Euro 49 and until the end of this month you pay Euro 25.

Feedback is very welcome. An update of Rumble K1 is planned for later this year whereby the internal sample bank will be extended with new recorded sounds like animals (in the zoo), oriental instruments and some atonal stuff. So, if you have any suggestions for sounds, please let me know.

• Information