SDK wishlist

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

02 Jul 2017

What would you guys like to see Reason make possible in the next SDK? For instance, sample loading wasn't possible until SDK 2.5 was released.

Props do take notice of the posts on this forum. So let's tell them what we would like to see in the next SDK. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jam-s

02 Jul 2017

Half-sized rack extension modules, support for player type REs, notes-to-track functionality.

EDIT: and fold-able RE sections.

raveled
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2017

jam-s wrote:
02 Jul 2017
Half-sized rack extension modules, support for player type REs, notes-to-track functionality.

EDIT: and fold-able RE sections.
Half-sized REs would be awesome!

raccoonboy

02 Jul 2017

1. Player type REs for sure.

2. Perhaps not really relevant but I really really would love some sort of editable MIDI device (which could potentially be a player I guess). Would like this more than anything else in Reason. Basically drag and drop knobs etc and choose what they do MIDI-wise. It doesn't need to be super complex. I'd use it to set up basic controllers for External Synths. i.e. create rotary knob, position one = midi channel 1 C note, position 2 = midi channel 2, value 107 etc etc.

There are many max-for-live plugins like this (not editable but aimed at controlling synths), but there is usually something about it I don't like and would change but can't program. These things would be so powerful and great to share with others also :D

3. Further integration with the sequencer. Proper pattern to track. Loads of other stuff to integrate the two, can't actually think what right now, usually have lots of idea, will update if I remember :)

fieldframe
RE Developer

02 Jul 2017

I have a crazy SDK request: to support the creation of custom versions of the Combinator.

Why would we need more Combinators? Combi REs could be built for more versatile applications, with different types of controls (faders, switches, custom displays), built-in mixers and audio/CV routing, and most important of all, they could be custom-built for different VSTs.

VST Combi REs could even have a special data channel for communicating with plugins. Imagine a Serum Combinator that brings Serum's waveform display into the rack, for instance. The possibilities are huge!

sonicbyte

02 Jul 2017

Sample streaming to be able to someday get badass kontakt-like libraries

Enviado desde mi XT1068 mediante Tapatalk

Loque

03 Jul 2017

* Extensible Panels/Devices, also bigger Devices
* No limitations for automatable parameters (finally i could automate all envelope parameters in a graphical envelope)
* Faster graphics
* Modular aspect for RE (exchangeable oscillators as an example)
* Devices like Players
* Extensions for the Sequencer (editing tools, generators, ...)
* Data-Link with one cable between devices, to increase modular approach (one connection for audio, envelopes, notes, gates, ... as an example)
* Alt+click for gfx panels to create automation line
* Sample saving within patches
* Better drag&drop in a Device for re-arranging modules (i could have a real modular synth within a RE or build a new device or just use fx or filter)
* Performance optimization
* Tagging for patches and browse/filter by tags
* Vector gfx or scalable (would be nice, but actually i can live with the actual state :-\)
* Popup panels (to have it sizeable, eg for a better envelope control or defining phase and harmonics)
* Sometimes i thought about front-panel cables, but i am not sure about this...

Thees are user-perspective things, but i can imagine that devs also have a big wishlist, like easier implementation of UI things, better migration from VST to RE, and so on...
Reason12, Win10

CephaloPod

03 Jul 2017

At this point, the SDK needs to have all the features of VST.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

davidvilla

03 Jul 2017

CephaloPod wrote:
03 Jul 2017
And that will take Propellerhead 10 years to accomplish.

It's been over a month since 9.5 was released. I think it's pretty apparent to everyone that at the moment, REs are dead.

I like to think of it as REs are PS3 games, and Reason 9.5 is a PS4. A lot of you are still hanging on to your PS3s, but it's a PS4 world now.

fieldframe
RE Developer

04 Jul 2017

davidvilla wrote:
03 Jul 2017
CephaloPod wrote:
03 Jul 2017

It's been over a month since 9.5 was released. I think it's pretty apparent to everyone that at the moment, REs are dead.

I like to think of it as REs are PS3 games, and Reason 9.5 is a PS4. A lot of you are still hanging on to your PS3s, but it's a PS4 world now.
This is still going to be an imperfect metaphor, but if VST in Reason 9.5 is the PS4, I'd think of RE more as the Wii U. Not a lot of stuff came out for it, but it has some hidden gems.

To continue beating this dead horse of a metaphor, eventually the Switch will come out (Reason 10!) and while it still won't be a competitor to the PS4, it will still be its own thing.

Put another way, there is no Zelda on Playstation, and there is no Expanse in VST. But there's also no Overwatch on Nintendo. Which is why you would want to own both systems, and why I'm so happy we have both RE and VST in Reason now. ☺️

tiker01

04 Jul 2017

davidvilla wrote:
03 Jul 2017
CephaloPod wrote:
03 Jul 2017

This opinion came up so many times I stopped counting. I think only time will tell but I know that PH truly doesn't share this opinion.

Actually why did they release SDK 2.5 just before Reason 9.5 if they don't care about Re anymore?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

raccoonboy

04 Jul 2017

davidvilla wrote:
03 Jul 2017
CephaloPod wrote:
03 Jul 2017

Take it you're not much of a CV user then?

synthetechsound
RE Developer

04 Jul 2017

I have lots of hardware synths. I think it would be cool if Props introduced an "HE" (Hardware Extension) type into Reason. A Hardware extension would be like the Virus VST plugin which communicates with the Virus Hardware synth. In other words a Hardware extension would be the software integration into the DAW for hardware. The user interfaces could be made to look almost exactly like the Hardware and the software knobs could generate the CC's for the externally connected hardware.

This would be pretty awesome for people (like me) who love Reason and their existing hardware. I can see some technical challenges to this though and it may never see the light of day.

Imagine though being able to run VST's, RE's and control external hardware from within Reason while keeping the whole Rack motif. That would be awesome.

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2017

davidvilla wrote:
03 Jul 2017
CephaloPod wrote:
03 Jul 2017

i appreciate RE more than i ever did before since we've gotten VST support. sure it's great to get a few of those VST that didn't have a counterpart in RE format.. but that does not take away from what RE is! the integration, CV capabilities, etc. there is still a huge appeal to the format if you ask me.

challism

04 Jul 2017

davidvilla wrote:
03 Jul 2017
CephaloPod wrote:
03 Jul 2017

Obviously, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and I respect yours, but I really don''t understand how you came to the conclusion that REs are dead, and I couldn't disagree with you more. I absolutely love REs for countless reasons. I find VSTs to be a huge pain in the butt for countless reasons. Anyway it's a good thing we have VSTs for those who want them, and it's a good thing that many users. like myself, still see the value in REs, and it's even better that so many developers are still working on and releasing REs. I'd say most of the RE developers disagree with you, too.

ANYWAY...... Can we try to stay on topic and not get into RE vs VST debate in this thread? This thread is specifically asking what your wishlist is for the next RE SDK. Thanks in advance, everyone. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

scratchnsnifff

06 Jul 2017

fieldframe wrote:
02 Jul 2017
I have a crazy SDK request: to support the creation of custom versions of the Combinator.

Why would we need more Combinators? Combi REs could be built for more versatile applications, with different types of controls (faders, switches, custom displays), built-in mixers and audio/CV routing, and most important of all, they could be custom-built for different VSTs.

VST Combi REs could even have a special data channel for communicating with plugins. Imagine a Serum Combinator that brings Serum's waveform display into the rack, for instance. The possibilities are huge!
Also to add to this idea, it'd be cool if there was a serum combinator that had various presets. with likely mapped targets like cutoff FM macros :) I'm all for this idea also synthmaster has so many options I literally had to drill in my head where the osc bend mode is when looking in a combinator spent a lot of time menu diving when I first for SM
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

selig
RE Developer

06 Jul 2017

CephaloPod wrote:At this point, the SDK needs to have all the features of VST.
That was basically my answer to the Props the last time they asked developers what features we needed!
;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

raccoonboy

07 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
06 Jul 2017
That was basically my answer to the Props the last time they asked developers what features we needed!
;)

All features of VST AND some! We're well on the way I think. Over half way perhaps. Really hope they are scalable soon. That would be great. Parsec 2, even if it doesn't have screws is a great looking device, clean, looks like it could happily be scaled up without looking shite. I'd happily have lots of REs like this.

One thought though. I'm not sure how RE's could have MIDI output, because this would blur the line between an RE and a player would it not? How would they choose to categorise them? Or would props only release future players.... hmmm.

I don't have 9, so maybe players are a bit different than just a midi device? I mean they affect whatever is directly below them but essentially just midi right?

ltbrunt00

07 Jul 2017

It would be nice to have a road map of what the Props are already working on for the next SDK.
Then have a community page that we can vote on the juicier parts of the SDK.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

fieldframe
RE Developer

07 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
06 Jul 2017
;)

I would actually disagree – Now that Reason supports VST, the Rack Extension format will benefit most from differentiating itself. REs don't need more VST features; they need more Reason features!

selig
RE Developer

07 Jul 2017

fieldframe wrote:
selig wrote:
06 Jul 2017
;)

I would actually disagree – Now that Reason supports VST, the Rack Extension format will benefit most from differentiating itself. REs don't need more VST features; they need more Reason features!
Such as? Happy to pass them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

raccoonboy

07 Jul 2017

I agree to an extent. I will chip in.

- copy pattern to track.
- Pattern Select
- CV Note inputs should all have a switch to disable quantise! (this way micro-tunings and/or pitch modulation can easily be achieved on ANY synth without it going to the nearest scale note, useful for other things too).
-further integration with modular external gear.

-And the long one:

I would also really like to see something that further optimises the pattern select feature on the sequencer. Somehow even though it's quite good it seems clunky. I pretty much despise drawing in MIDI notes, to me it's like making music on a spreadsheet (and I'm not even a good keyboard player). I like to keep things in the pattern stage for as long as possible before I start editing individual MIDI notes. I like, live quick sequencing like I can do on my Social Entropy Engine.

The reason I use Reason is because it's the closest thing to hardware. I love using the rack, just don't like the sequencer (although it's preferable to most other soft sequencers). So I'd like to stay more in the rack for full songs.

The only way I think this could be really streamlined is some sort of ipad app or a hardware system (I'll have to look into controlling it from my Engine now that I think of it). The matrix, RPG-8, redrum etc can be programmed on Reason, that's fine, I like the rack. I just don't like computer sequencers, it's no fun selecting different patterns when there are loads of other tracks in there crowding the view, and I have to click on a little triangle to change the pattern number.

I'd rather have a nice big chunky pattern select where I can quickly scroll through with my finger or something. Or maybe some sort of change in the sequencer would work, like on a separate screen from other sequencer stuff. I don't know, it all just looks so fidgety and crowded to me and not quick and inspiring enough to experiment with different pattern orders etc, even if it is only a few clicks.

As I've said before on here I'd like to see regroove implemented on pattern devices without having to write MIDI lanes first. So basically I want much better and more lean integration between REs, patterns and the sequencer so that there is not much need to use the pencil tool. Maybe some sort of blocks upgrade would come into this, so it all gels. It's almost there.

Would like to hear other folks opinions on things that should be added to REs though, especially things that could probably never be achieved in VST.

tiker01

08 Jul 2017

raccoonboy wrote:
07 Jul 2017
I agree to an extent. I will chip in.

- copy pattern to track.
- Pattern Select
- CV Note inputs should all have a switch to disable quantise! (this way micro-tunings and/or pitch modulation can easily be achieved on ANY synth without it going to the nearest scale note, useful for other things too).
-further integration with modular external gear.

-And the long one:

I would also really like to see something that further optimises the pattern select feature on the sequencer. Somehow even though it's quite good it seems clunky. I pretty much despise drawing in MIDI notes, to me it's like making music on a spreadsheet (and I'm not even a good keyboard player). I like to keep things in the pattern stage for as long as possible before I start editing individual MIDI notes. I like, live quick sequencing like I can do on my Social Entropy Engine.

The reason I use Reason is because it's the closest thing to hardware. I love using the rack, just don't like the sequencer (although it's preferable to most other soft sequencers). So I'd like to stay more in the rack for full songs.

The only way I think this could be really streamlined is some sort of ipad app or a hardware system (I'll have to look into controlling it from my Engine now that I think of it). The matrix, RPG-8, redrum etc can be programmed on Reason, that's fine, I like the rack. I just don't like computer sequencers, it's no fun selecting different patterns when there are loads of other tracks in there crowding the view, and I have to click on a little triangle to change the pattern number.

I'd rather have a nice big chunky pattern select where I can quickly scroll through with my finger or something. Or maybe some sort of change in the sequencer would work, like on a separate screen from other sequencer stuff. I don't know, it all just looks so fidgety and crowded to me and not quick and inspiring enough to experiment with different pattern orders etc, even if it is only a few clicks.

As I've said before on here I'd like to see regroove implemented on pattern devices without having to write MIDI lanes first. So basically I want much better and more lean integration between REs, patterns and the sequencer so that there is not much need to use the pencil tool. Maybe some sort of blocks upgrade would come into this, so it all gels. It's almost there.

Would like to hear other folks opinions on things that should be added to REs though, especially things that could probably never be achieved in VST.
I agree that a more tactile control surface could be magical. I think that is why Ableton has Push. You need something physical to be able to jam using two hands at the same time.

A tablet application might help a little bit and there is less risk implementing it. Also people on a tight budget could afford it a bit easier. Still I think PH should partner with Nektar and create the ultimate Reason controller!

Back to the SDK I think making things less troublesome during realising an idea and giving Res a chance to be able to as fast as VSTs are the two key things. Obviously it will be a slow iterative process.

A quick feature that would be great is making the SDK capable of Player development!
Also being able to store samples in patches would be great!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

hamzter
RE Developer

08 Jul 2017

challism wrote:
02 Jul 2017
What would you guys like to see Reason make possible in the next SDK? For instance, sample loading wasn't possible until SDK 2.5 was released.
When the Rack Extension format was announced, Propellerhead said that Rack Extensions would be "Full Citizens of the Reason Rack" (and they still do on the PH website). In reality, though, there are lots of things a legacy Reason device can do that Rack Extensions cannot. I think that a useful focus for the next couple of SDK updates would be to deliver on that initial promise.

/G

jonheal

08 Jul 2017

hamzter wrote:
08 Jul 2017
When the Rack Extension format was announced, Propellerhead said that Rack Extensions would be "Full Citizens of the Reason Rack" (and they still do on the PH website). In reality, though, there are lots of things a legacy Reason device can do that Rack Extensions cannot. I think that a useful focus for the next couple of SDK updates would be to deliver on that initial promise.

/G
That sounds entirely reasonable.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

• Information