Rock drums

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ejanuska

25 Jun 2017

I've been writing rock music lately and since I don't really like tapping or hand drawing drums I've been using the RE Studio drummers, I have all three of them.
I'm not to thrilled with the limitations of the drums. I wish there were more fills per patch, and more rock oriented beats. Some of the beats are outright unusable for any genre IMO.
Anyhow I'm looking at EZDrummer or possibly Superior Drummer since I couldn't find any other REs in the shop that do the same thing.
Why doesn't PH make extensions for these A-List drummer REs is one question.

Any suggestions on other products RE or VST or refill that would have a wide range of rock drum beats and such?

Gaja

26 Jun 2017

Well you could take a look at record drum takes:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/?q=Drum+takes

It's basically pre recorded sessions for you to import into your Projects. Tempo will adjust automatically.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Ostermilk

26 Jun 2017

Sadly there isn't anything like the big VSTi (BFD, Addictive, Superior) drumplers available as a RE.

Those three all come with midi grooves that can easily be edited making them very flexible without having to directly program your beats. You can also tailor and mix the extensively multi-mic'd kits up and engineer your own sound with each kit. With SD2 you can also use the entire EZ range of sounds and midi clips that come with them as well as all the SD range. I also use it with my home-built e-kit to get a bit of genuine organic flavour in there without needing to 'fake' it with pads or the piano roll.

As a taster here's a single stereo output clip from Superior Drummer 2 dropped from Reason to Allihoopa. It's just the default 'Avatar' kit with a different snare, and midi clips straight from SD2's browser with a splash of Valhalla Plate washed over the whole thing. Literally 10 seconds of work to make.

https://allihoopa.com/s/09X1oRYy

I know this is the RE forum but there isn't a RE I could recommend above having one of these well-known drumplers in your arsenal for this kind of thing, although I have been known to use the excellent and flavourful Reason Drum Kits ReFill quite often.

ejanuska

26 Jun 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
26 Jun 2017
Sadly there isn't anything like the big VSTi (BFD, Addictive, Superior) drumplers available as a RE.

Those three all come with midi grooves that can easily be edited making them very flexible without having to directly program your beats. You can also tailor and mix the extensively multi-mic'd kits up and engineer your own sound with each kit. With SD2 you can also use the entire EZ range of sounds and midi clips that come with them as well as all the SD range. I also use it with my home-built e-kit to get a bit of genuine organic flavour in there without needing to 'fake' it with pads or the piano roll.

As a taster here's a single stereo output clip from Superior Drummer 2 dropped from Reason to Allihoopa. It's just the default 'Avatar' kit with a different snare, and midi clips straight from SD2's browser with a splash of Valhalla Plate washed over the whole thing. Literally 10 seconds of work to make.

https://allihoopa.com/s/09X1oRYy

I know this is the RE forum but there isn't a RE I could recommend above having one of these well-known drumplers in your arsenal for this kind of thing, although I have been known to use the excellent and flavourful Reason Drum Kits ReFill quite often.
Thanks, I think going with one of the Toontracks products is the answer.

Funny thing is that there are TONS of synths in the PH shop. Granted there are lots of drum sounds and drum machines, but one would think the producers of these RE/VST tools would want to stand out a little with these features for the sake of selling more. Then again, catering to rock production isn't a priority in the day of EDM.

Dabbler

26 Jun 2017

Gaja wrote:
26 Jun 2017
Well you could take a look at record drum takes:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/?q=Drum+takes

It's basically pre recorded sessions for you to import into your Projects. Tempo will adjust automatically.

• Information