Is there such a thing?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
AttenuationHz

23 Jun 2017

I'm being lazy...

What I'm looking for is a simple device that I can tap the rhythm for a Gate. I have a rhythm in my head and my mouse can replicate the rhythm pretty easily if only I could tap on a RE that will record the clicks and translate them into a pattern with corresponding note changes on the gate. Now I can do it in the sequencer but it will take a bit of time to do. Just thought I'd see if there is any RE capable of doing this. :idea:

Another thing I was thinking of was tapping on the desk with a mic attached to the desk picking up the taps and converting the audio to midi what would be the best mic to do this? Or even a set of headphones hook up into the mic pre.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Noise
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2017

What about this -> https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/audio-to-cv/
You can easily record your rhythm and use this Re to convert to cv.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

AttenuationHz

23 Jun 2017

Noise wrote:
23 Jun 2017
What about this -> https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/audio-to-cv/
You can easily record your rhythm and use this Re to convert to cv.
Isn't that pretty much built into Reason now. Audio to midi. Lots of devices are able to produce the same results G8 gate which I own for one.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Oquasec

23 Jun 2017

3 options I can think of at the moment.
Remote
Automation mapping to midi devices
Remote override.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

WongoTheSane

23 Jun 2017

I would suggest Kong, but you're specifically speaking about gates, so I'm wondering if you're going for a setup where you want to use the gates from a track in the sequencer while using the notes from some other source (pattern sequencer...)?

If it is, record your rhythm by tapping on a Kong's pad. Then combine the device (say, Subtractor) you want to send the gate signals TO, and add an RPG-8 to the combi. Set RPG-8's arpegiator section to "Off". In the combinator's Programmer, click on the Subtractor and uncheck "Receive Notes". Create a track for the RPG-8 and drag your recording there. The RPG-8 now just passes the CV and Gate signals through it's outputs on the back panel.

Now you just have to plug the "CV" input on the back of the Subtractor to whatever other device generates the notes (or even another RPG-8 with its own track, so you would have your gate signals on track 1 and your note signals on track 2), and you're done!

I just tried this with an LFO driving the CV input, it's quite fun!

AttenuationHz

23 Jun 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Jun 2017
I would suggest Kong, but you're specifically speaking about gates, so I'm wondering if you're going for a setup where you want to use the gates from a track in the sequencer while using the notes from some other source (pattern sequencer...)?

If it is, record your rhythm by tapping on a Kong's pad. Then combine the device (say, Subtractor) you want to send the gate signals TO, and add an RPG-8 to the combi. Set RPG-8's arpegiator section to "Off". In the combinator's Programmer, click on the Subtractor and uncheck "Receive Notes". Create a track for the RPG-8 and drag your recording there. The RPG-8 now just passes the CV and Gate signals through it's outputs on the back panel.

Now you just have to plug the "CV" input on the back of the Subtractor to whatever other device generates the notes (or even another RPG-8 with its own track, so you would have your gate signals on track 1 and your note signals on track 2), and you're done!

I just tried this with an LFO driving the CV input, it's quite fun!
That might do it alright! :thumbs_up:

Just wish there was a matrix type device that could do this though. I am absolutely terrible at keeping time when the music starts playing with a keyboard but I can concentrate and get the rhythm with a finger or foot easily. I've a BeatStep here beside me and never use it because of latency with it in reason. The pads on that you need a hammer to press anyway so its a lot harder to keep time with.

I wonder though what about an X,Y pad any way to set that up for midi notes.

Thing is with keeping the rhythm with a finger there is less of a gap. If you are 2mm away from the gate being pressed as apposed to the 15 or so mm with the keyboard.

Gaja

24 Jun 2017

Well G8 Features a sidechain input, as does the gate in the big mixer. Just record your tapping and plug direct outs to sidechain inputs on the mix channel. In the Mixer activate gate and set threshold and timing according to your needs.
Also Alligator's gates can be keyboard-controlled, by assigning it to a sequencer track (a description of how to achieve this is described on the back of Alligator).
Cheers!
Fredhoven

antic604

23 Feb 2018

You could use Pulveriser's envelope follower section to convert the recorded audio into CV, which would trigger a gate in some other device?

• Information