PDC! Please report REs that don't report their delay so devs can add this feature.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Galaxy

12 Jun 2017

Been using the desser and leveler today and noticed that latency isn't present on the channel strip once lookahead was enabled? Should the lookahead delays report their latency to Reason and be compensated for?

Hopefully Selig will chime in and offer some thoughts on this.

I also think I might change the thread title to "REs that don't report latency to Reason" so users can report which REs don't, and hopefully devs will take note and update them so they work with the PDC.
Last edited by Galaxy on 13 Jun 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Galaxy

12 Jun 2017

Thanks, it's a useful thread, but old and reports the opposite of what I'm asking about.

Ahornberg

12 Jun 2017

there is also a free RE to measure latency: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ple-delay/

selig
RE Developer

12 Jun 2017

Galaxy wrote:Been using the desser and leveler today and noticed that latency isn't present on the channel strip once lookahead was enabled? Should the lookahead delays report their latency to Reason and be compensated for?

I also think I might change the thread title to "REs that don't report latency to Reason" so users can report which REs don't, and hopefully devs will take note and update them so they work with the PDC.
I'm sorry to report that because of the way things were described in the original SDK we are stuck with a situation we cannot change without breaking backwards compatibility. So these REs sadly do not report latency (they report it as zero samples), and to be clear this behavior was 100% approved by the Props at the time.

We're currently looking into ANY solutions that will not break backwards compatibility, so hopefully things could change in the future. Was hoping to have more to report on this by now, but stay tuned…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Galaxy

13 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
Galaxy wrote:Been using the desser and leveler today and noticed that latency isn't present on the channel strip once lookahead was enabled? Should the lookahead delays report their latency to Reason and be compensated for?

I'm sorry to report that because of the way things were described in the original SDK we are stuck with a situation we cannot change without breaking backwards compatibility. So these REs sadly do not report latency (they report it as zero samples), and to be clear this behavior was 100% approved by the Props at the time.

We're currently looking into ANY solutions that will not break backwards compatibility, so hopefully things could change in the future. Was hoping to have more to report on this by now, but stay tuned…

Thanks for the response. So you're saying adding support for pdc would break backwards compatibility? How so? It wouldn't change the sound would it? Or is there no way to allow lookahead report pdc.

I think softube stuff also doesn't report pdc. Could be wrong, will have to double check.

EdGrip

13 Jun 2017

You mean as in, "people with songs with pre-update Selig REs would have to make adjustments to those REs post-update"? Cos if so, surely that's a minor inconvenience to a minority of users?
Unless an update will, say, automatically brick your REs for anyone in 8.3 and under?

selig
RE Developer

13 Jun 2017

EdGrip wrote:You mean as in, "people with songs with pre-update Selig REs would have to make adjustments to those REs post-update"? Cos if so, surely that's a minor inconvenience to a minority of users?
Unless an update will, say, automatically brick your REs for anyone in 8.3 and under?
We would need to make the Look Ahead button non-automatable, which would break any songs that use this feature. We're still working out how best to resolve the issue!
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

13 Jun 2017

What's a little latency between friends? All this goose-stepping precision ...

Live life a little mushier! :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Zac

13 Jun 2017

I think ideally REs should report their latency but it's easy to say in hindsight. From what selig said props were OK with the non-reporting at the time.

For now since Selig's REs give the latency (2 and 14ms from memory) when you hover over the 'look-ahead' button you can manually adjust the pdc on the back of the mixer rack panel.

Kenni
Site Admin

13 Jun 2017

jonheal wrote:What's a little latency between friends? All this goose-stepping precision ...

Live life a little mushier! :)
Haha!

That right there will be my motto from here on out!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information