PunchBDRE or Sub-Boom Bass?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ThisIsNotTheMusic

11 Jun 2017

Anyone who has had experience with these Re's I'd love to hear your thoughts. Advantages of one over the other? I'm looking for flexibility but ability to really make the kicks bite and stand out when required, as well as getting that nice sub rumble - so you see my problem!?
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

CephaloPod

11 Jun 2017

Oh, you want something that punches AND sub-booms? Are you MAD???

Seriously, I would suggest clearing out a couple hours of your time and trial them both. Only you can determine which is going to be better for your needs. I have both. Both are useful if you are into presets. If you like programming stuff, you really don't need either.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

challism

11 Jun 2017

I have both. I use sub boom bass WAY more than punch. I rarely use punch; I've probably used it fewer than 20 times. I got both as part of the synth rig bundle. I really like sub boom, but I'm not going after kick drum sounds. If it's kick drum sounds you want, punch is probably your better choice. I already have way too many kick drum samples than I will ever need, and using a dedicated instrument just for one drum sound isn't my cup of tea. I like sub boom for all of the different bass and sub bass sounds it is capable of. It's much more versatile than punch for my needs. I'd say the one feature of punch over sub boom is it isn't ugly. Sorry Rob & Co, but I find sub boom really hard to look at.... but I love it and use it often.

As CephaloPod suggested, take some time and try them both out. Rob Papen always has great presets, and my advice shouldn't really be worth much to you over your own gut and ears.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ThisIsNotTheMusic

11 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:Oh, you want something that punches AND sub-booms? Are you MAD???

Seriously, I would suggest clearing out a couple hours of your time and trial them both. Only you can determine which is going to be better for your needs. I have both. Both are useful if you are into presets. If you like programming stuff, you really don't need either.
Very astute of you. I am a bit mad! It seems to me like I'm going to need both, as from your answer I assume they are both much better at what they say on the tin than being flexible enough to surprise ... sigh (checks bank balance ...)

ThisIsNotTheMusic

11 Jun 2017

challism wrote:I have both. I use sub boom bass WAY more than punch. I rarely use punch; I've probably used it fewer than 20 times. I got both as part of the synth rig bundle. I really like sub boom, but I'm not going after kick drum sounds. If it's kick drum sounds you want, punch is probably your better choice. I already have way too many kick drum samples than I will ever need, and using a dedicated instrument just for one drum sound isn't my cup of tea. I like sub boom for all of the different bass and sub bass sounds it is capable of. It's much more versatile than punch for my needs. I'd say the one feature of punch over sub boom is it isn't ugly. Sorry Rob & Co, but I find sub boom really hard to look at.... but I love it and use it often.

As CephaloPod suggested, take some time and try them both out. Rob Papen always has great presets, and my advice shouldn't really be worth much to you over your own gut and ears.
I'll trial them both. I have need for both types of sounds - horses for courses and all that - but was hoping one would be flexible enough to handle both. Then again, maybe if I do enough tweaking and rewiring then I can just make it all myself ... I'm not sure I have that much time to devote to such things though. Thanks though, always appreciate the advice.

Jagwah

11 Jun 2017

I have both and they are a world apart, Punch for kicks, and SubBoomBass for basses. They are both great, you will need to decide what it is you want / need more.

Punch VST actually offers a lot more so you could look at that too.

scratchnsnifff

13 Jun 2017

I'd just go with rob papens predator, it has more features than sub boom, well the advantage of sub boom over predator is that it has "samples" in its oscillator, but other than that they are similar (there may be other differences but they are minor) honestly you can't go wrong with predator it has envelopes many filters and a ton of oscillator waveforms that you could make all types of drum hits out of. In the presets there are many bass drum, snare, and hat patches. Idk though it's up to you, but if you just want to make drum sounds with a synth I'd go with punch because of it having that punch knob as well as the various clicks that you can layer it with :) hope this helps
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

siln

13 Jun 2017

I have punch and I love it , use it in almost all my tracks alone or layered with other samples, also i love the huge amounts of high quality presets

tumar

13 Jun 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:I'd just go with rob papens predator, it has more features than sub boom, well the advantage of sub boom over predator is that it has "samples" in its oscillator, but other than that they are similar (there may be other differences but they are minor) honestly you can't go wrong with predator it has envelopes many filters and a ton of oscillator waveforms that you could make all types of drum hits out of. In the presets there are many bass drum, snare, and hat patches. Idk though it's up to you, but if you just want to make drum sounds with a synth I'd go with punch because of it having that punch knob as well as the various clicks that you can layer it with :) hope this helps
This is quite good idea. I've just checked:there are many great "kick" presets in vast Predator library. I have all three (Predator, SubBoom and Punch), frankly saying, Punch could be covered by any good kick samples library. For example check DeepKicks with Scream/any other distort FX
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/deep-kicks/

...or buy Synthetic Rig, where you get all three plus 18 other REs :P

scratchnsnifff

13 Jun 2017

tumar wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:I'd just go with rob papens predator, it has more features than sub boom, well the advantage of sub boom over predator is that it has "samples" in its oscillator, but other than that they are similar (there may be other differences but they are minor) honestly you can't go wrong with predator it has envelopes many filters and a ton of oscillator waveforms that you could make all types of drum hits out of. In the presets there are many bass drum, snare, and hat patches. Idk though it's up to you, but if you just want to make drum sounds with a synth I'd go with punch because of it having that punch knob as well as the various clicks that you can layer it with :) hope this helps
This is quite good idea. I've just checked:there are many great "kick" presets in vast Predator library. I have all three (Predator, SubBoom and Punch), frankly saying, Punch could be covered by any good kick samples library. For example check DeepKicks with Scream/any other distort FX
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/deep-kicks/

...or buy Synthetic Rig, where you get all three plus 18 other REs :P

I honestly don't have punch or sub but I have all the other RP synths and predator gets the most use, quad and vecto serve me well when making bass (quad) or some wavetable creation (vecto). Note. Vecto has samples in it as well
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information