Module idea for blamsoft polymodular setup

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

22 May 2017

Got thinking about how I want to use the polymodular system, and an idea popped up. It would be cool if there was a wavetable oscillator or a sample loading oscillator. Pretty much an expanse oscillator, with some modifiers or a sample loading/wave modifier oscillator would that be of interest to anyone else? :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :puf_bigsmile: :reason:

Can there be a blamsoft reason talk emoji? Or any other developer logos! Haha that should be in a different thread but just food for thought
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

23 May 2017

You can use every synth in a modular setup. Very interesting are all synths, that can send their oscilator directly to output or can use a external env generator.
Reason12, Win10

Olivier

23 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote: Can there be a blamsoft reason talk emoji? Or any other developer logos! Haha that should be in a different thread but just food for thought
:thumbs_up: :lightbulb:

:rt: we have. If you have others you can submit them. We'll see what we can do :puf_bigsmile:

:exclamation: back on topic :post:
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:Got thinking about how I want to use the polymodular system, and an idea popped up. It would be cool if there was a wavetable oscillator or a sample loading oscillator. Pretty much an expanse oscillator, with some modifiers or a sample loading/wave modifier oscillator would that be of interest to anyone else? :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :puf_bigsmile: :reason:

Can there be a blamsoft reason talk emoji? Or any other developer logos! Haha that should be in a different thread but just food for thought
here you go Image

fotizimo

23 May 2017

Something like the Jiggery-Pokery Ammo series, or the Ochen-K A-series devices would be cool. Just a basic oscillator with waveform loading, or sample install capabilities. The Jiggery-Pokery Ammo 100LA would be perfect except for the polymodular part of this. Maybe a VO-2 viking oscillator from Blamsoft?

Something small resources-wise, instead of loading an entire RE just for the oscillator, would be great.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2017

:thumbup: :thumbup:
aeox wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:Got thinking about how I want to use the polymodular system, and an idea popped up. It would be cool if there was a wavetable oscillator or a sample loading oscillator. Pretty much an expanse oscillator, with some modifiers or a sample loading/wave modifier oscillator would that be of interest to anyone else? :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :puf_bigsmile: :reason:

here you go Image
Haha Awesome!!!!

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2017

I do understand using a synth and routing just the oscillator, but I suppose i just think it'd be nifty more then anything. Also I mentioned expanses oscillator mainly because of the modifiers, it would be like a build your own wavetable synth :p also I'm just a huge fan of expanses waveshaping/modifying

Auryn

23 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:It would be cool if there was a wavetable oscillator or a sample loading oscillator. Pretty much an expanse oscillator, with some modifiers or a sample loading/wave modifier oscillator would that be of interest to anyone else? :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :puf_bigsmile: :reason:
This already exists, in a way, and it's called Oberon. Sample loading and full polymodular support since the most recent update! It's a very malleable synth with a sound that's different from the other polymod oscs, so it's a great add-on.

That being said an expanse oscillator module or a VO-2 based on the new Viking 2 synth would also be awesome. Oh and an 8-in, 8-out waveshaper module would also definitely get my money.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2017

Auryn wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:It would be cool if there was a wavetable oscillator or a sample loading oscillator. Pretty much an expanse oscillator, with some modifiers or a sample loading/wave modifier oscillator would that be of interest to anyone else? :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :puf_bigsmile: :reason:
This already exists, in a way, and it's called Oberon. Sample loading and full polymodular support since the most recent update! It's a very malleable synth with a sound that's different from the other polymod oscs, so it's a great add-on.

That being said an expanse oscillator module or a VO-2 based on the new Viking 2 synth would also be awesome. Oh and an 8-in, 8-out waveshaper module would also definitely get my money.
I suppose using Oberon would work and be nifty, I just imagine a cool looking black oscillator module, I was thinking how the vk2 is part of a series(and it's modular abilities also makes it fit into the subject) and how it'd be awesome if they added to the polymodular setup with new modules here and there, I picture something like build-a-Thor haha :puf_bigsmile:

theshoemaker

23 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
Auryn wrote:

I suppose using Oberon would work and be nifty, I just imagine a cool looking black oscillator module, I was thinking how the vk2 is part of a series(and it's modular abilities also makes it fit into the subject) and how it'd be awesome if they added to the polymodular setup with new modules here and there, I picture something like build-a-Thor haha :puf_bigsmile:
eXpanse Single OSC for the Polymodular would be an insta buy! with a distributor setup ..
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Auryn

23 May 2017

I haven't spoken to anyone at blamsoft for a while so I have no idea whether an update or expansion of polymod is on the cards. With the VST news though it might be a fruitful endeavour as it has a lot of unique added value above VST's. So let's just hope... the props definitely need to update the combinator to facilitate modular setups though, as for most in-depth stuff an auxillary 3rd party control module (like SL-1 or CV8x4) is needed at the moment.

Oh, and you shouldn't discriminate against Oberon just because it's not black/charcoal! If you haven't tried the update you really should!
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2017

Auryn wrote:
I haven't spoken to anyone at blamsoft for a while so I have no idea whether an update or expansion of polymod is on the cards. With the VST news though it might be a fruitful endeavour as it has a lot of unique added value above VST's. So let's just hope... the props definitely need to update the combinator to facilitate modular setups though, as for most in-depth stuff an auxillary 3rd party control module (like SL-1 or CV8x4) is needed at the moment.

Oh, and you shouldn't discriminate against Oberon just because it's not black/charcoal! If you haven't tried the update you really should!
Haha, no discrimination on Oberon at all! I love how you can draw oscillators and more importantly filter curves, Oberon is awesome I'm a bit dissatisfied that I missed it on sale that's about the most negative thing I have towards Oberon haha

I suppose I agree with the other person who mentioned the part about using just an oscillator rather than having to use a whole synth, not like it matters as long as the setup works :p

FLVZ

24 May 2017

A few of the modules scattered around the shop to add to the poly modular fun:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/bitspeek/

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... al-filter/

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/tres-mono-synth/

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... generator/

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... or-bundle/

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/

So many options to explore before we can really start requesting a whole bunch of new things. A sample (rather than wavetable) based module though even if its dead simple but has plenty of CV options would be great!

KirkMarkarian

24 May 2017

A true modular way to build synths in Reason? Now you're talkin! I like specific portions of some synths, and rather than having to load the rest of the synth with it, just having the oscillator section or a specific filter would be sweet! Like a build your own Thor, with plenty more options. Companies can release bits of their synths in a modular synth fashion. Sell the bits at lower prices than the entire synth, holy cannoli! I'd love to be able to construct a synth without built in reverbs and delays. People may prefer the envelope section of one synth more than another. Heck, this might even be a CPU saver for those of us with older computers! I can dig it!

scratchnsnifff

24 May 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:A true modular way to build synths in Reason? Now you're talkin! I like specific portions of some synths, and rather than having to load the rest of the synth with it, just having the oscillator section or a specific filter would be sweet! Like a build your own Thor, with plenty more options. Companies can release bits of their synths in a modular synth fashion. Sell the bits at lower prices than the entire synth, holy cannoli! I'd love to be able to construct a synth without built in reverbs and delays. People may prefer the envelope section of one synth more than another. Heck, this might even be a CPU saver for those of us with older computers! I can dig it!
Literally what I was trying to say :) haha Idk why but the idea of mix and match parts of synthesizers is appealing to me

FLVZ

24 May 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:A true modular way to build synths in Reason? Now you're talkin! I like specific portions of some synths, and rather than having to load the rest of the synth with it, just having the oscillator section or a specific filter would be sweet! Like a build your own Thor, with plenty more options. Companies can release bits of their synths in a modular synth fashion. Sell the bits at lower prices than the entire synth, holy cannoli! I'd love to be able to construct a synth without built in reverbs and delays. People may prefer the envelope section of one synth more than another. Heck, this might even be a CPU saver for those of us with older computers! I can dig it!
It would be amazing if they were sold seperately, or if you had the entire synth already you could route only to the parts you wanted to use. E.g I'd love to have access the Proton oscillator, the Chorus on the Vibro synth is also really nice, smooth and lush great on bells and basses.

scratchnsnifff

24 May 2017

Some awesome ideas people haha if I knew the first thing about how to develop soft synths that'd be the first thing that I'd try to make :p but at this point I'm just a music making and software appreciator

borracho

24 May 2017

+1 for more modular devices...
What I miss in Reason is a bunch of east-coast modules:
1. Something like Make Noise Maths - that can accept CV or Audio and output CV and Audio (like VK2)
2. Low Pass Gate emulation
3. Buchla/MakeNoise DPO-like Complex Oscillator (where everything can be modulated via Audio and CV
4. Source of uncertainty/Wogglebug
4. Emulations of modular effects: like Clouds, 4MS Spectral Multiband resonator, Morpheus etc.

So far VK-2 was THE BEST implementation of modular synthesis in Reason - very nice approach - really shines when wired with other synths. Blamsoft, please more modular stuff!

scratchnsnifff

25 May 2017

borracho wrote:+1 for more modular devices...
1. Something like Make Noise Maths - that can accept CV or Audio and output CV and Audio (like VK2)
3. Buchla/MakeNoise DPO-like Complex Oscillator (where everything can be modulated via Audio and CV
4. Emulations of modular effects: like Clouds, 4MS Spectral Multiband resonator, Morpheus etc.

So far VK-2 was THE BEST implementation of modular synthesis in Reason - very nice approach - really shines when wired with other synths. Blamsoft, please more modular stuff!
A part of me thinks that now is a great time to make stuff unique to reason, it will stand aside from the well known vst products, and many people like Reason for it's fully modular environment. Also it does seem like blamsoft likes the idea of product lines, and the best part is that they already have all the devices needed for the core of a modular setup, I suppose if there is enough of a demand it would happen, haha at the same time il take what ever they throw at us! Still and awesome thought though!

OverneathTheSkyBridg

25 May 2017

The NN19 works great for a low cost wavetable player! Check this out:

I loaded up the Virus Waveforms into the NN-19 and they are already perfectly looped and ready to go.

borracho

31 Jan 2019

borracho wrote:
24 May 2017
+1 for more modular devices...

I wrote this post almost two years ago and we got almost everything I've asked implemented in Complex-1 :)
Maybe Pheads put my suggestions in the roadmap :lol:

So, Pheads, in case you're reading this here're the new ones:

1. iPad version of Reason (not stripped down Compact)
2. More modular-like devices. Partner with Mutable Instruments - Emilie seems to allow embeding their code for other developers (VCV, Arturia new synth, Softube modular, some Reaktor Blocks, Ableton Live M4L devices). I'd love to see Plates, Stages, Marbles and Clouds in Reason Rack. Or maybe Complex-2 powered by all the Mutable Instruments algorithms
3. Release Reason Rack as VST. So we don't need Rewire and can send audio to process it inside Rack. And yeah, we would finally be able to have multiple Racks in one project :)
4. Modern Sampler, smth like Grains
5. Dedicated HW controller with embedded audio interface with multiple CV ins and outs to integrate everything with Eurorack.

:adapted:

aeox
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2019

borracho wrote:
31 Jan 2019
Maybe Pheads put my suggestions in the roadmap
Sometimes people just have the same ideas :thumbs_up:

scratchnsnifff

31 Jan 2019

aeox wrote:
31 Jan 2019
borracho wrote:
31 Jan 2019
Maybe Pheads put my suggestions in the roadmap
Sometimes people just have the same ideas :thumbs_up:
As much as I love propellerhead devices

This thread really makes me miss some hardcore blamsoft Re releases!

Come back blamsoft, ohhhh please come back

I want to see them make anything, but I also must say I do dig their work on the vcv rack platform. All their vcv stuff is/was free

Idk if that means they are done with vcv, but if you want a great trial at a taste of expanse see if the vcv stuff is still free, and you’ll get all the best blamsoft units

They seem to kill it where ever they go, I just would like a new synth to tinker with :D

KirkMarkarian

31 Jan 2019

I've recently begun using VCV and am now wishing we had their specific modules as true Rack Extensions (not VSTs). I'm really digging the Audible Instruments modules here: https://vcvrack.com/AudibleInstruments.html

Yeah, we have Resonans. It's a nice-sounding RE, but it's heavy on the CPU (for me). We've also got granular REs similar to the Audible Instruments Texture Synthesizer, but they just don't sound the same. The VCV modules seem to sound both more digital somehow, yet possess a finer sound and control set.

It's the same reason that I'm digging the Noise Engineering modules. They really sound unlike anything I've ever heard in Reason before. Digital, low-REs FM-y. Harsh, grainy, fuzzy, round with needle-sharp pins.

Since Complex-1 has gone front panel, c'mon 🙂, lets front panel the f*** out of everything 😃, let's go full modular for those of us who would like to have the option. Let's also keep making all the synths the regular way too, so if you need an instant sound, or a regular synth programming style, you got it! Don't let Bitwig 3 and VCV users have all the fun!

mjxl

01 Feb 2019

Incase you guys haven't seen this, you can use VCVRack AS VST now.

https://github.com/bsp2/VeeSeeVSTRack ;)

• Information