Abandoned Rack Extensions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ltbrunt00

22 May 2017

I think there should be a list of Rack Extensions that will likely not receive updates or is abandoned. I have purchased these products, I'll be sad to not see updates or newer versions in the Prop shop.

Here are RE's I can think of off the top of my head.

Heavyocity's Aeon collection (get it on discount)
E-Instrument's StringWerk (amazing product I like the interface better than Session String Pro VST)
ProjectSAM's orchestral sampler (Save your money this should be 49.99 at best)
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Oquasec

22 May 2017

Project same needs to be no less than 25gb of content for me to spend anything above 100$ on that. :lol:
That's why I'm glad there's EMI and refills for when I want a orchestra.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

joeyluck

22 May 2017

Why would you say those are "abandoned?" Do you have statements?

For instance, E-Instruments has said they are collecting ideas for updates (as well as future instruments) ;)

ltbrunt00

22 May 2017

All I have to go by is the lack of updates or news from these products.

Would be nice if E-instruments would just add individual samples for Bass, Cello, Violas to StringWerk. Also the various articulations would be nice. I would pay for the additional content. I like Session Strings Pro but love the interface on StringWerk Better.

I have given up on ProjectSam come next week I can use my Spitfire stuff.

I like the Aeon RE but in pales in comparison to Heavyocity's VST products. Come next week I can use the likes of Gravity directly in reason.

scratchnsnifff

22 May 2017

U-he?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Oquasec

22 May 2017

I wonder if those would stop working at one point if propeller-head rewrote the software from the ground up.
Producer/Programmer.

joeyluck

22 May 2017

One of the huge benefits of the RE format is they are future proof. Different story for VSTs. Once those are "abandoned" or discontinued, it's just a matter of time before they aren't supported and don't work on newer hardware and OS versions.

Oquasec

22 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:One of the huge benefits of the RE format is they are future proof. Different story for VSTs. Once those are "abandoned" or discontinued, it's just a matter of time before they aren't supported and don't work on newer hardware and OS versions.
So basically that means I'm going to keep getting those then :P
Producer/Programmer.

rcbuse
RE Developer

22 May 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:I think there should be a list of Rack Extensions that will likely not receive updates or is abandoned. I have purchased these products, I'll be sad to not see updates or newer versions in the Prop shop.
I think that list would be the vast majority of Rack Extensions. You use the word "abandoned" but I think that most RE developers would use the term "finished". I think most REs come out, get a few minor updates for bug fixes, and thats it. Developers move on to the next device. It's not like they stop working and rot away.

e-instruments

23 May 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:All I have to go by is the lack of updates or news from these products.

Would be nice if E-instruments would just add individual samples for Bass, Cello, Violas to StringWerk. Also the various articulations would be nice. I would pay for the additional content. I like Session Strings Pro but love the interface on StringWerk Better.

I like the Aeon RE but in pales in comparison to Heavyocity's VST products. Come next week I can use the likes of Gravity directly in reason.
StringWERK is alive and very well. We don't throw out updates on a regular basis, just as we don't throw out products - we take our time to get it right.

joeyluck

23 May 2017

e-instruments wrote:
ltbrunt00 wrote:All I have to go by is the lack of updates or news from these products.

StringWERK is alive and very well. We don't throw out updates on a regular basis, just as we don't throw out products - we take our time to get it right.
Hello! Thanks for chiming in. Happy to have you here :puf_smile: StringWERK is so good and so well done and easily one of my favorites :thumbs_up:

ambitran

23 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:Project same needs to be no less than 25gb of content for me to spend anything above 100$ on that. :lol:
EMI Refills? I googled that and couldn't find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltbrunt00

23 May 2017

This is great news. StringWerk is one of my favorite instruments period. If the StringWerk RE was released as an VST I would buy it today.
Maybe Session Horns is coming.

ltbrunt00

23 May 2017

I guess abandoned is a little harsh. The Aeon RE just seems like it isn't finished. I always felt like there was more stuff coming for it.

If it had the ability to add samples would be nice.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

ambitran wrote:
Oquasec wrote:Project same needs to be no less than 25gb of content for me to spend anything above 100$ on that. :lol:

The quote was "EMI and refills" so I took "EMI" as the External Midi Interface and that he is connecting externally for other orchestra sounds...

Oquasec

23 May 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
ambitran wrote:

The quote was "EMI and refills" so I took "EMI" as the External Midi Interface and that he is connecting externally for other orchestra sounds...
I'm a Reason/Studio One guy :]
It gets alotta standalone usage because the 8+ updates basically.
Producer/Programmer.

tumar

23 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:One of the huge benefits of the RE format is they are future proof. Different story for VSTs. Once those are "abandoned" or discontinued, it's just a matter of time before they aren't supported and don't work on newer hardware and OS versions.
I remember some people on KVR, who purchased whole Camel Audio Alchemy bundle (hundreds of $) just few days right before CamelAudio went down...

moneykube

23 May 2017

crap 1... but hey... there is crap too
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

moneykube

23 May 2017

rcbuse wrote:
ltbrunt00 wrote:I think there should be a list of Rack Extensions that will likely not receive updates or is abandoned. I have purchased these products, I'll be sad to not see updates or newer versions in the Prop shop.
I think that list would be the vast majority of Rack Extensions. You use the word "abandoned" but I think that most RE developers would use the term "finished". I think most REs come out, get a few minor updates for bug fixes, and thats it. Developers move on to the next device. It's not like they stop working and rot away.
more truth then what is there... fripp?
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Magnus

18 Mar 2019

e-instruments wrote:
23 May 2017

Will StringWERK ever get any updates and will e-instruments ever release any more Rack Extensions?

If you don't want to maintain StringWERK any more, please license it to the Props so they can make it into A-List Strings :)

sleep1979

22 Mar 2019

joeyluck wrote:
22 May 2017
One of the huge benefits of the RE format is they are future proof. Different story for VSTs. Once those are "abandoned" or discontinued, it's just a matter of time before they aren't supported and don't work on newer hardware and OS versions.
Lets hope reason itself isnt ever abandoned then .

guitfnky

22 Mar 2019

I’d say the McDSP REs have been abandoned. they’ve known about the bugs with their EQs for a couple of years now, I think, and have seemingly done nothing to try to fix it. any RE that’s released in a buggy state and left that way is definitely not finished in my view. otherwise I agree with the electronic panda.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

kitekrazy

22 Mar 2019

tumar wrote:
23 May 2017
I remember some people on KVR, who purchased whole Camel Audio Alchemy bundle (hundreds of $) just few days right before CamelAudio went down...
It still works. There's a lot of stuff that's old that works on a Windows system. I still have Acid Pro 7 and works great for a 32 bit app. Izotope Iris hasn't been updated in a long time.

kitekrazy

22 Mar 2019

Oquasec wrote:
22 May 2017
Project same needs to be no less than 25gb of content for me to spend anything above 100$ on that. :lol:
Project SAM is great stuff but Kontakt is superior to trying to make an RE. They also have a Live instrument that is not worthy either.

Oquasec

22 Mar 2019

Yeah the only things that compete with kontakt are standalone players like AIRA, Refills, Eastwest, Vienna & Omnisphere.
Definitely investing in Vienna for non synthesized content.
Producer/Programmer.

• Information