Hearing Loss prevention

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jmusic

19 May 2017

Is there a RE or VST I can use in Reason 9.5 (when 9.5 becomes available) that can notify me or tell me when at a certain level of volume or noise has been reached to tell me "High Volume at this level can cause Hearing Loss"?

Or software I can run in the background to notify me? PC Windows 7 64-bit.
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :recycle:

O1B

19 May 2017

iOS access? there are tons of apps...

househoppin09

23 May 2017

Huh? Wouldn't this be completely dependent on your monitoring volume, and therefore impossible to keep track of at any point in the process before the actual acoustic output? What you want is a sound level meter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_level_meter), surely? Or perhaps a phone app that performs that function, though I'm not sure how feasible it would be for such an app to calibrate properly. And when using headphones, your only option would be to get a pair with a feature like this built in, I'd think.

tumar

23 May 2017

Prevention? Just use limiter ;)

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

jmusic wrote:Is there a RE or VST I can use in Reason 9.5 (when 9.5 becomes available) that can notify me or tell me when at a certain level of volume or noise has been reached to tell me "High Volume at this level can cause Hearing Loss"?

Or software I can run in the background to notify me? PC Windows 7 64-bit.
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :recycle:

it just depends how loud your speakers/headphones are.

like the post above me states, just use a limiter and adjust your listening volume to your liking externally via your audio interface/mixer or whatever you are using to send the signal to your monitors or headphones.

jmusic

24 May 2017

I don't have iOS access. Sound level meter sounds right. Is their a Re or VST that's a sound level meter? If not, I'll have to look.

ShawnG

24 May 2017

there can't be an re or VST that does this, since the actual thing moving the air which could damage your hearing is outside your computer, so you would need a sound pressure level meter that works outside your pc. all a matter of the power of your amplifier/speakers that you listen to it through.

reason doesn't know whether you monitor through a tiny speaker or a 10000 watt PA system, so it can't know when you are damaging your hearing.

jmusic

24 May 2017

Can you recommend a Sound Level Meter that's affordable? For headphones and or speakers the size of studio monitors. -Thanks

• Information