ReSpire RE back in the shop - Still on sale!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

lowpryo

17 May 2017

curious to hear if the major problems have been resolved. I probably don't need a new synth right now but that pricetag is sooooo tempting.

Dante

17 May 2017

It WILL me mine within the hour as soon as I can get to a computer. I guess it wouldn't let me buy it on the phone because of no cookies !

Exowildebeest

17 May 2017

Cool, another IDT device!

tiker01

17 May 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:Cool, another IDT device!

You mean it lacks CV? They said they will add it. It is not made using IDT AFAIK.

BTW did you catch in the interview that Ernst said they are updating IDT? I hope we will see more CV capability!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Morphic1977

17 May 2017

I went through maybe 100 patches, so far no problems. Did not test automation however where the problems were according some users.
Anyway, I have to say, if you are EDM fan, BUY IT !!! NOW !!! :-) So far best patches I have heard in any synth in Reason (an I own almost every synth in Reason incl. EDM favourite ones like Antidote, Expanse, Predator, ...). Truly inspirational I have to say. And was surprised, that it was not so heavy on my CPU as I expected (yes there are couple of problematic patches, but lowering down polyphony and/or decreasing AMP release time solves it). For 59 eur it is the best price to performance synth in Reason I think. If they add more CV to back panel, improve CPU load like they promised and introduce patch converter from VST banks it will be even better. I am really very happy with the port, after maybe 20 minutes of trialing and have bought it, which is my record as I usually test the REs almost full 30 days.
:reason: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :re: :refill:

Nektar Panorama P4, Many of REs and couple of refills...

Juan Rosa

17 May 2017

what means "preview edition"??

Morphic1977

17 May 2017

Juan Rosa wrote:what means "preview edition"??
I think they planned to continue in development of the synth to cover full integration to Reason, but with VST coming to Reason 9.5 they decided to speed up the release and release it without CVs and maybe other interesting Reason specifics. Anyway from sound perspective it is fantastic synth. And for 59 eur .....
:reason: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :re: :refill:

Nektar Panorama P4, Many of REs and couple of refills...

Exowildebeest

17 May 2017

tiker01 wrote:

You mean it lacks CV? They said they will add it. It is not made using IDT AFAIK.

BTW did you catch in the interview that Ernst said they are updating IDT? I hope we will see more CV capability!
Yeah that's what I meant :) Now that VST support is here, CV features are even more important.

electrofux

17 May 2017

as allways, can we have a list of remotable parameters? i fear though that the Midi CC Chart IS the remote item list which would be a shame as there are alot of remote items missing eg of the FX there is only the Wet as a destination.

But it really sounds cool, pretty unique to Reason and the price is nice too. I love what the parameters on the Oscillators do.

It cries for an update though (Menus, CV Inputs first and foremost). I also hope there will be sound sets available that have the macro knobs assigned to something cool.

A quick record of some filter automation didnt show any cpu spike btw.

There are a couple of sounds in the gated category which behave kindof weird in that they just play without being triggered, dunno.
Last edited by electrofux on 17 May 2017, edited 5 times in total.

xbitz

17 May 2017

just saying it needs + 30% CPU vs the VST version (on a logging beta!), so I would wait it ...
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

fieldframe
RE Developer

17 May 2017

lowpryo wrote:curious to hear if the major problems have been resolved. I probably don't need a new synth right now but that pricetag is sooooo tempting.
Same here. Between Expanse, Antidote, and Predator, I really don't feel lacking for RE workstation synths right now.

And yet this is basically the price of two refills for an entire new synthesizer with hundreds of presets...

Though at the same time, if this "preview edition" still has major problems that are going to make it hard to use, I'm going to pass. I don't mind buying something basic on the promise it will get more features, but I'm not going to buy something broken on the promise that it will get fixed.

Zac

17 May 2017

I'm struggling to understand this release. Surely they read at least some of the feedback regarding CV? I find it kind of disrespectful that they have put it out again like this. Just my opinion.

electrofux

17 May 2017

Zac wrote:I'm struggling to understand this release. Surely they read at least some of the feedback regarding CV? I find it kind of disrespectful that they have put it out again like this. Just my opinion.
If they'd put it out for the full price then yes i would understand that opinion. But for 59 EUR i think it is fair enough given the circumstances. I still hope there will be updates but i wouldnt feel ripped off badly if not.

Heater

17 May 2017

One note and I'm hearing cracks and pops coming from my MacBook pro. This synth sounds great but really eats up the CPU. I know it's an early version but still, without decent track freeze on Reason this synth is not really useable by me.

EdGrip

17 May 2017

Yeah - basically, the questions here are:
Does it actually WORK properly, first of all? Is it no longer broken?

V

If yes, in its current IDT-esque, CV-less form, is it worth 59 spondooliks to you? Is it, in your opinion, a solid/fair €$59 IDT synth? (Even though it may eat CPU like 30 IDT synths)

V

If yes, buy it. If you end up with a CV monster somewhere down the line, bonus!

I look forward to messing about with it later.

scratchnsnifff

17 May 2017

the one that got away! haha, does anyone know if effects will be able to be modulated and stuff, its in my checkout right now, sneaky bugger isn't getting away this time!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Zac

17 May 2017

EdGrip wrote:Yeah - basically, the questions here are:
Does it actually WORK properly, first of all? Is it no longer broken?

V

If yes, in its current IDT-esque, CV-less form, is it worth 59 spondooliks to you? Is it, in your opinion, a solid/fair €$59 IDT synth? (Even though it may eat CPU like 30 IDT synths)

V

If yes, buy it. If you end up with a CV monster somewhere down the line, bonus!

I look forward to messing about with it later.
I understand the logic you apply above but surely professionalism and pride in your work would preclude putting out an unfinished product? The price is very generous but it's a dual edged sword... There's inexpensive and then there's cheap. Just my way of thinking but this feels cheap to me. But I,'ll try it and see.

Ostermilk

17 May 2017

How is it 'Still on sale!'?

If the interface shows 'Preview Edition' then why does the shop price show the comparison against the full-priced Spire synth?

There is no comparison as there is no other 'Preview Editon' available. So is this 'Preview Edition' is set to retail at the same price as the Spire VSTi or is it a budget version of a full version where no comparison between prices can be made?

UK trading standards would love a little poke around into that bit of confusion.

You couldn't get away with "Buy a pack of sausages for only 59p as compared to our normal pack price of £1.89" and then find out the your 59p pack only contained 2 sausages and the normal pack contained 6 without a clear disclaimer as to what exactly you were getting (or rather not getting) with each 'pack'.

This thing has been an epic fail from the start, I don't care how good the synth sounds, the marketing sounds diabolically 'dodgy'.

Hopefully the price 'comparison' is a 'faux pas' that gets corrected or at least clarified at the point of sale before a correction gets enforced.
Last edited by Ostermilk on 17 May 2017, edited 3 times in total.

EdGrip

17 May 2017

I think it would've done, but then 9.5 happened. Whatever the rationale, I'm pretty sure the rushed and unfinished ReSpire release and the 9.5 announcement are related. The question is, how?

Did the VST announcement cause ReSpire to come prematurely (as it did to so many of us) because RS wanted to get some money back on their RE venture now that their own VST was in direct competition with it? Or did they just want to get it out there while it was still the hottest topic in the Reason world, and generate some buzz around it before 9.5 turned up and stole its thunder?

If the former, will ReSpire be abandonware? I gather Reveal Sound have a strong reputation to maintain, but.... who knows?

aeox
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

great synth for sound designers and preset/patch junkies alike! but i already have expanse.. so i will have to skip this RE.

tumar

17 May 2017

aeox wrote:great synth for sound designers and preset/patch junkies alike! but i already have expanse.. so i will have to skip this RE.
I downloaded trial, I don't think it's as good as NI Massive, Absynth or Access Virus TI (and almost every patch is flooded with reverb/delay ;) ). So I'll wait to see how VST works with Reason. If everything is fine, then I'll skip ReSpire.

tronam

17 May 2017

I've been going through the included preset library and there's so many excellent, usable sounds. Aside from a few odd GUI issues for Reveal to iron out, like the parameter sub-menus, what really matters is that the full Spire sound engine is here. It's already well worth the heavily discounted $59 for me, but for others it could depend on whether or not you have faith in their future commitment to refining it.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

miscend

17 May 2017

Lol quite trolling

• Information