ReSpire RE back in the shop - Still on sale!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gullum

18 May 2017

Ashpool wrote:Just curious:
Does no one have problems with the predelay in the Reverb section?
When I click on it ReSpire crashes completely. (using Win10)
-Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I forgot: It only crashes when the reverb is in sync mode.
on mac sierra too

strangers
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:Ah man. So torn. I mean the presets are good, but there are a lot of issues still (stuck notes, weird menu behaviour, the sample rate bug).

I think my money will have to go to Resonans and Arkana, both of which hit the shop complete and ready to go and I think can offer something different than what I already have with my existing REs plus VSTs when 9.5 is out.

But I will definitely keep an eye on this. Because again, the sounds are fantastic. But just not quite willing to buy an unfinished RE at this point. Plus I've spent too much money this month. That's my fault. Not Reveal Sound's ;)
Your post has me relieved to know I wasn't imagining things. I gave ReSpire a long test run into the night and was experiencing the same issues that I thought was my own fault, especially the stuck notes. Had a few times where ghost notes would ring out when the sequencer was stopped and nothing was hit. Thought it was my midi keyboard even though it's never once done that.

Was also starting to believe the CPU issues were my laptop but I see you're also using an HP Envy. Mine is only a few months old.

I'm with you. The presets sound promising but I can't justify buying this RE. Sure, the intro price looks to be a steal but not sure I want to pay for hope when this was already removed, is now back in the shop and still has some very obvious bugs. I'll refrain from posting my tin foil hat thoughts about this release and keep it positive since the sounds coming from ReSpire are impressive.

Still trialing Parsec 2, which initially I wasn't getting along with at all. The consistent issues and crashing of ReSpire made me revisit the trial for something usable. I know they're two completely different synths but the faults of ReSpire have swayed my money to go toward Parsec 2 instead. Had about 5 instances of Parsec, 1 Antidote, couple NNXT running in one project and never saw DSP go above one bar. No brainer right there.

A part of me still really wants to buy ReSpire, let it sit and hope they deliver later on.

Kalm

18 May 2017

Before I even came here, had to throw the 60 in the shop. That's when you know you got something good!
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

EnochLight

18 May 2017

Kombucha wrote:
EnochLight wrote: To be clear, CV on the back is coming. Reveal Sound just wanted to get this out for people since it's been in demand for so long.
You are selling a product hoping that people will buy it on a promise of better things to come? Please complete this build and put it in the store when it's been done properly, then I will consider buying it. I'm not paying for an unfinished device that comes with a bunch of future 'maybes'. For God's sake the current image on the shop page shows the artwork reading "Preview Edition". How many other oversights on the technical platform are there still to be fixed if you can't get the GUI right? Expecting people to pay to do your beta testing is incredibly unprofessional and this is a poor reflection on a highly anticipated synth.
No, I'm not selling anything. I don't work for Reveal Sound. ;) That said, at $59 USD, I personally still feel this is a steal. I own the VST though, so...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Kalm

18 May 2017

Think I just found a mishap in ReSpire. Where should I post about this??
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Rectro

18 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Kombucha wrote:
EnochLight wrote: I own the VST though, so...
Hi.

As you own the VST could you please clear up a few things for me. Does this RE have all the same functionality of the VST, and can preset packs sold by reveal work for the RE?

Thanks, Dan

EdGrip

18 May 2017

The prizes in the ReSpire song challenge include preset packs, so we can infer that the preset packs will be available to ReSpire one way or another.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

Kalm wrote:Think I just found a mishap in ReSpire. Where should I post about this??
Report it to the devs, Bug Report-> http://reveal-sound.com/knowledge.php?35

Kalm

18 May 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
Kalm wrote:Think I just found a mishap in ReSpire. Where should I post about this??
Report it to the devs, Bug Report-> http://reveal-sound.com/knowledge.php?35
Thank you, bug reported.

alex

18 May 2017

Rectro wrote: Hi.

As you own the VST could you please clear up a few things for me. Does this RE have all the same functionality of the VST, and can preset packs sold by reveal work for the RE?

Thanks, Dan
By reading and comparing the manual of both version, it seems to me that it has all the feautures of the VST version, except the "microtuning" and, of course, the patch browser.

Microtuning means that notes can be tuned individually, by using (loading) different temperaments using Scala tuning files.
By default, Spire is set to Equal Tempered. IMO, this is not a deal breaker feature to be honest.

Reveal also said that they are working on a patch converter so that (hopefully) all available sound libraries out there can be converted and then imported inside the RE version. :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

EnochLight

18 May 2017

Rectro wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Kombucha wrote:
EnochLight wrote: I own the VST though, so...
Hi.

Thanks, Dan
The RE is functionally no different from the VST - all patches included are taken from stock Spire. That said, because they built it with the old RE SDK, there are some GUI/UX changes in the effects and mod section - they appear to be built using a custom display approach - and they cannot be automated (yet).

Preset packs sold by Reveal Sound don't work yet, but they have stated that they are working on a patch convertor. I believe them 100%, because selling patch libraries is the only other source of revenue for the company aside from selling Spire, so they have to do it. How long it takes them is anyone's guess.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

Just curious, what exactly has been improved since the first version they released?

Most people here are talking about the presets and the cheap price. And the high DSP usage.

What about the automation issues? They were the biggest let downs for me when I tried the first version.
Most knobs were not automatable and the those that were didn't work once you played the song in the sequencer. The computer stuttered like crazy once the automation curve started. Basically automation didn't work at all. Have these issues been resolved?

EnochLight

18 May 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:Just curious, what exactly has been improved since the first version they released?

Most people here are talking about the presets and the cheap price. And the high DSP usage.

What about the automation issues? They were the biggest let downs for me when I tried the first version.
Most knobs were not automatable and the those that were didn't work once you played the song in the sequencer. The computer stuttered like crazy once the automation curve started. Basically automation didn't work at all. Have these issues been resolved?
Most of them. The automation no longer spikes CPU use horribly when playing back. It's not crashing when browing patches anymore. That said, many knobs are still missing automation and the DSP use is still being worked on (thus the "preview edition").

sdst
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

We all know that this Synth needs more work, and They say they are working

for $59.00 is no-brainer, Even the presets are very good

lowpryo

18 May 2017

I'm just afraid that being too lenient "because it's $60" is going to encourage more of this "early access" format in the Reason shop. and that's not a good direction, IMO.

early access has been a total detriment to the videogame industry, for example. lots of developers are incredibly slow to finish, don't deliver their full promises, or drop development entirely before releasing the final version. and it's because they lose incentive. why work hard when they're already getting paid for an unfinished product? that's not how business should be done.

hu-ryu

18 May 2017

anyone know how long this will be on sale?

cheers.

EnochLight

18 May 2017

hu-ryu wrote:anyone know how long this will be on sale?

cheers.
If you have to ask "how long", it will never be long enough. Unsolicited advice: buy now before it's too late Lol!

chk071

18 May 2017

lowpryo wrote:I'm just afraid that being too lenient "because it's $60" is going to encourage more of this "early access" format in the Reason shop. and that's not a good direction, IMO.

early access has been a total detriment to the videogame industry, for example. lots of developers are incredibly slow to finish, don't deliver their full promises, or drop development entirely before releasing the final version. and it's because they lose incentive. why work hard when they're already getting paid for an unfinished product? that's not how business should be done.
You forget the most important thing to the equation though: Everybody wants the new stuff, yesterday.
:reason: :rebirth:

lowpryo

18 May 2017

chk071 wrote:
lowpryo wrote:I'm just afraid that being too lenient "because it's $60" is going to encourage more of this "early access" format in the Reason shop. and that's not a good direction, IMO.

You forget the most important thing to the equation though: Everybody wants the new stuff, yesterday.
oh I know. the problem begins with the consumer. early access wouldn't be successful if people didn't pay for it. I just hope us consumers can learn from the lessons of other markets. wishful thinking?

chk071

18 May 2017

I'd surely be all up for it, if devs take the time they need to deliver a finished product. Not sure how realistic that is though, in such fast-paced times. Not sure about the correlation between the intro price, and the state of the software here though. The intro price for the VST was 69 € too, back in the days. I wouldn't assume that the premise was to deliver a half-baked version, for less than half of the usual price. I'd rather think it's an attractive offer, to get the ball running. I'm sure they did their best to make it as stable as they could. I'm a bit wondering how many beta testers they have though, especially as they don't seem to be very keen on engaging some new ones.
:reason: :rebirth:

ltbrunt00

18 May 2017

I am enjoying this synth even with the CPU and other issues. I am used to buggy software everywhere in life, OS, Drivers applications, this doesn't bother me to much. I think once they are done with this synth everyone will have hoped they brought it at this cheap price.

For full integration with reason I will buy this over the VST any day of the week. I will more than likely due to Software instrument Reason (RE)addiction coupled with reason low prices buy Nexus and the Beast.

I might be in the minority but I think $99.99 is cheap for a really good RE, VST.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

electrofux

18 May 2017

The thing is imho even in its current state it is worth the 59- that is really cheap and everybody knows that. Maybe i stumble over a serious bug if i use it more and change my mind. But so far i only find "missing" stuff compared to what normally a RE has. Menus, CV, remotable stuff, some Sounds are hanging when set to polymode 1. CPU is being worked on and that is a common thing with high quality sounding REs already. What if they made an even more limited version and just called it Spire Player and sold it for 59?
Don't get me wrong for 189 it would need all the above for sure and then i would most likely wait for a sale. The final "test" is when this RE goes out of sale and at what state it is then because 189 would be too much for it and i would be pissed if i bought this for 189. But currently i am a happy cat ;-)

riemac

18 May 2017

Clicking on the decay curve on envelope 3 crashes spire. I guess I will spent 189 for the vst instead of the Re.

tumar

18 May 2017

Ashpool wrote:Just curious:
Does no one have problems with the predelay in the Reverb section?
When I click on it ReSpire crashes completely. (using Win10)
-Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I forgot: It only crashes when the reverb is in sync mode.
I'm on Mac and crashes like hell: "DEVICE ERROR An error has occured in device. It has been disabled. You can still save your document".

• Information