God I love the Legend (Positive rant)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

06 Jan 2020

eXode wrote:
06 Jan 2020
chk071 wrote:
18 May 2017
Maybe also do a comparison between Legend, Monark, and the Diva Minimoog module. If you don't actually sit on your ears, you will find that they all sound different to each other. So much for the "sounds uncannily like a Minimoog". It's rather different interpretations based on the sound engines of the different developers. And of course they're all pretty close. Yet they DO sound different to each other.
With analog in general, and the Minimoog model d in particular, there can be a big difference between specimens. I know of artists who kept two different units of the model d because they couldn't decide between them, both having their own character.

My point is that Native Instruments, u-he or Synapse Audio (likely) didn't emulate the same specimen which might also be a reason for them sounding different from each other. :)
Great point, and sounds like my rants on LA-2a emulations where the same things apply. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

reddust

06 Jan 2020

To be honest I've never tried the Legend but I was very near to get Dune 3 from Synapse as well this christmas... I ended up buying Spire and another synth I could also write a positive rant about: ANA 2, which for me is also very powerful and simple to understand at the same time.

By the way, nice to see there is also a VST version of the Legend, I might end up getting it as well some day, when my wallet recovers

botnotbot

06 Jan 2020

Legend vs Monark... I used to think Legend was redundant because I already have Monark. It came included with a bundle and I still didn't really open it. But that isn't to say I was firing up Reaktor all that often to open the Monark ensemble, either.

Once I sat down and explored the presets, it was clear that I wasn't going to be suffering any "but maybe this would sound better in Monark?" moments.

Now I have a lot more "minimoog" in my tracks -- and better experience dialing it in -- since it became such a simple drag and drop operation via The Legend's presence in my browser.

BRIGGS

07 Jan 2020

I tried the Legend. I liked it, it sounds great! The effects section on the back is a nice touch!
r11s

Steedus
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2020

I'm quickly typing this at work but can I ask a question in this thread? I love the Legend but I find the Attack on the amp envelope doesn't work how I'd expect/want. When making patches with a slow attack (fade in) I find if I play more notes in quick(ish) succession the attack just opens up fully and it's as though the attack is set to 0. Is this normal? I've never noticed this on any other synth .. baring in mind I'm very much an amateur.

eXode

08 Jan 2020

Steedus wrote:
07 Jan 2020
I'm quickly typing this at work but can I ask a question in this thread? I love the Legend but I find the Attack on the amp envelope doesn't work how I'd expect/want. When making patches with a slow attack (fade in) I find if I play more notes in quick(ish) succession the attack just opens up fully and it's as though the attack is set to 0. Is this normal? I've never noticed this on any other synth .. baring in mind I'm very much an amateur.
The original minimoog model d hardware have a feature where the envelope doesn't reset to zero when you re-trigger it, so if you have a sound with some release, the synth will re-trigger it's CV level from the current release level instead. If you have a little longer release and re-trigger the envelope quickly, then the filter will gradually open up more.

challism

08 Jan 2020

selig wrote:
05 Jan 2020
It's just personal taste, nothing more nothing less. No use arguing over it here, it's like arguing over your favorite color IMO. :)
Clearly, blue is the best color. If you can't see that, I am prepared for a flame war. Just try me!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

08 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
08 Jan 2020
selig wrote:
05 Jan 2020
It's just personal taste, nothing more nothing less. No use arguing over it here, it's like arguing over your favorite color IMO. :)
Clearly, blue is the best color. If you can't see that, I am prepared for a flame war. Just try me!
I can absolutely confirm blue is indeed, and by far, the best color of all the colors.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

reddust

08 Jan 2020

I like all colors, there is no best color for me and if I had to pick up one I don't think it would be blue :)

Steedus
Competition Winner

08 Jan 2020

eXode wrote:
08 Jan 2020
Steedus wrote:
07 Jan 2020
The original minimoog model d hardware have a feature where the envelope doesn't reset to zero when you re-trigger it, so if you have a sound with some release, the synth will re-trigger it's CV level from the current release level instead. If you have a little longer release and re-trigger the envelope quickly, then the filter will gradually open up more.
Hmm thanks for that. Kinda wish it didn't do that, makes it a bit hard to use for pads with slow attack and long release then. Maybe a reverb could fill in for the long release though .. :think:

drloop

18 Jan 2020

Yeah, this is a really nice synth.
Bought some weeks ago and finally I got time to play with The Legend tonight,
Awesome.

Made a short sound test. All but the drums is The Legend.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

19 Jan 2020

Yep I love this instrument as well. Every time I start gassing for new Moog synths I put on the Legend and the gas is quelled.

selig
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

Steedus wrote:
08 Jan 2020
eXode wrote:
08 Jan 2020

Hmm thanks for that. Kinda wish it didn't do that, makes it a bit hard to use for pads with slow attack and long release then. Maybe a reverb could fill in for the long release though .. :think:
Since I don't tend to use mono synths for pads, I've not had the problem. Instead I have the opposite problem - envelopes that fully reset to zero interrupt the pad sound and don't allow you to smoothly play the same note repeatedly. Both modes have their use, and I really wish more synths allowed switching trigger modes…
Selig Audio, LLC

aeox
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2020

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
31 Jan 2020
Why can’t I see what you’ve written? Same with your comment in the RPEQ thread.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

31 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
31 Jan 2020
He is incognito...
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
31 Jan 2020
MrFigg wrote:
31 Jan 2020

He is incognito...
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2020

eXode wrote:
08 Jan 2020
Steedus wrote:
07 Jan 2020
The Blamsoft envelop module does this "dynamic" re-trigger. Put it on Subtractor as an example and you change the behavior from resetting linear envelopes, to dynamic curved envelopes, and boy even Subractor starts to sound analog. Play a single note fast and it is like you keep a capacitor charged up in the envelop circuit...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information