ABL3 Updated! An overview of the new features

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ReasonTalk

08 May 2017

Audiorealism’s award winning ABL3 has received an exciting Rack Extension update! We’ll take a look at what's new and how you can take advantage of these new features.

Included with this Rack Extension update:
  • Audio engine update with improved sound quality (less noise and aliasing, improved clarity)
  • Reason users can now edit and create patterns using the new Grid and Random edit modes, in addition to the Classic edit mode.
  • Parameters that were once only on the back panel, Hipass and Gate Trim have been added to the front panel and can now be automated.
  • Built-in distortion is back!
  • 23 additional patches
Read the whole article here https://www.reasontalk.com/?p=1217

Bumbum

08 May 2017

great new features

miscend

08 May 2017

Hopefully Redominator will get some love too

EnochLight

08 May 2017

Fantastic review for simply the best 303 emulation on the market - congrats Audio Realism!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Arrant
Competition Winner

08 May 2017

Has anyone been able to download the update properly? I bought it and downloaded but still stuck on the old version?

Oquasec

08 May 2017

Does the guitar RE do notes or are those phrases only? If not I'm sticking to agml for that and spicy guitar : /
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

electrofux

08 May 2017

The Sequencer has been made remotable in 3.1, has it?

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

09 May 2017

electrofux wrote:The Sequencer has been made remotable in 3.1, has it?
Hey Electrofux, sorry but the sequencer is not remotable. I don't think this it is possible to make with the version of the RE SDK that ABL3.1.1 was built with.

But, how would a remotable sequencer work? Each button mapped to a midi controller or midi note, or something like that?

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

09 May 2017

Arrant wrote:Has anyone been able to download the update properly? I bought it and downloaded but still stuck on the old version?
Another user had this issue, he said "Ah, it was an issue with the cookies in the Propellerhead store. Got it now!".
So I suppose you have to reset cookies, or reload the page, maybe try a different browser?

Anyone else with this issue?

dezma

09 May 2017

how do you change the step page? If I set more than 16 steps, I'm not able to edit those steps.

joeyluck

09 May 2017

dezma wrote:how do you change the step page? If I set more than 16 steps, I'm not able to edit those steps.
You access them via the Pattern knob.
Each pattern stores up to 16 steps.
For instance, a 32 step pattern will play through patterns 1 and 2 (pattern 1 = 1-16, pattern 2 = 17-32, and so forth)

electrofux

09 May 2017

mike^audiorealism wrote:
electrofux wrote:The Sequencer has been made remotable in 3.1, has it?
Hey Electrofux, sorry but the sequencer is not remotable. I don't think this it is possible to make with the version of the RE SDK that ABL3.1.1 was built with.

But, how would a remotable sequencer work? Each button mapped to a midi controller or midi note, or something like that?
Every item on the custom display in the middle would be mapped to a remote item. It would be quite a huge number of items given that you also have a number of patterns (though the dirty solution would be to only have 1 pattern remotable). But there isnt really a restriction on the number of remote items afaik.

for example pattern 1 step note 01, pattern 1 step note 02, pattern 1 step note 03 ... pattern 1 accent 01, pattern 1 accent 02 ....

One could then map everything (takes quite a couple of loops) on eg a launchpad (and assign dynamic colors to the pads to visualize everything nicely) where you could then hammer in the patterns as if you had a hardware sequencer in front of you :-)

If you have a little knowledge of remote, handling large amounts of remote items is not a problem at all. You just need to set the pointer to the right batch of items.
Last edited by electrofux on 10 May 2017, edited 2 times in total.

pLv2

09 May 2017

I've been listening to some 303 influences and I just had to buy this today! Love the added features! I already have a cool new project going. ;)

Biolumin3sc3nt

09 May 2017

I like the new sound engine in 3.1! things are more realistic than even 3.0 - however i wish i could still keep 3.0 when i upgrade to 3.1 ( is this possible)

there's just a few quirks in 3.0 that i'd like to keep. I'm still glad i purchased ABL 2 a while back just for this scenario. Anyway the new modes are just killer. Tons of fun

KirkMarkarian

09 May 2017

I love the ABL3 - use it a ton! Any chance we can get the Bassline Pro as an RE? I don't want to use VSTs with Reason.

Arrant
Competition Winner

10 May 2017

mike^audiorealism wrote:
Arrant wrote:Has anyone been able to download the update properly? I bought it and downloaded but still stuck on the old version?
Another user had this issue, he said "Ah, it was an issue with the cookies in the Propellerhead store. Got it now!".
So I suppose you have to reset cookies, or reload the page, maybe try a different browser?

Anyone else with this issue?
Got this fixed by doing "resync all" from the Props product page, then downloading ABL3 specifically one more time :puf_smile:

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

10 May 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:I love the ABL3 - use it a ton! Any chance we can get the Bassline Pro as an RE? I don't want to use VSTs with Reason.
Glad you like ABL3! I don't think it's possible to make something like ABL Pro since patch cables on the front of RE devices is not supported.. Maybe use the VST for that?

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

10 May 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:I like the new sound engine in 3.1! things are more realistic than even 3.0 - however i wish i could still keep 3.0 when i upgrade to 3.1 ( is this possible)

there's just a few quirks in 3.0 that i'd like to keep. I'm still glad i purchased ABL 2 a while back just for this scenario. Anyway the new modes are just killer. Tons of fun
What quirks were those specifically? ABL2 have whole lot of users still, and some even prefer it to 3.0.. and I understand them, it has a character of its own.. while ABL3 is more a faithful emulation. People are often surprised how dry an original 303 sounds without any effects or eq added ..!

Biolumin3sc3nt

10 May 2017

Well i suppose "quirks" wasn't the right word. In 3.0 the filters with accents and slides sounded different to me than 3.1 - and it could just be me honestly, however I did feel a difference. Nothing wrong with that right? I would just like to have ABL2, 3.0 and 3.1 - Ill have to email props to see if that's a possibility. But Holy hell Mike, You nailed it on the emulation - cheers to you Sir!

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

11 May 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:Well i suppose "quirks" wasn't the right word. In 3.0 the filters with accents and slides sounded different to me than 3.1 - and it could just be me honestly, however I did feel a difference. Nothing wrong with that right? I would just like to have ABL2, 3.0 and 3.1 - Ill have to email props to see if that's a possibility. But Holy hell Mike, You nailed it on the emulation - cheers to you Sir!
Thank you!
Well yes, there might be minor changes to the accent, but mostly the sound is cleaner with less aliasing. Also 3.1.1 defaults to No VCA clicks or noise, so check those settings, it could also affect what you're hearing.

KirkMarkarian

12 May 2017

mike^audiorealism wrote:
KirkMarkarian wrote:I love the ABL3 - use it a ton! Any chance we can get the Bassline Pro as an RE? I don't want to use VSTs with Reason.
Glad you like ABL3! I don't think it's possible to make something like ABL Pro since patch cables on the front of RE devices is not supported.. Maybe use the VST for that?
I would not mind them on the back, like the rest of our REs, no VSTs for me, I'm sticking (so far) with the REs.

challism

12 May 2017

Love it, love it, love it!

One of my favorite things is the new random mode. It's so easy to create endless new interesting bass lines with this mode. Just tweak the sliders until you get something you are happy with. Then hit "apply" to write it to the ALB3 sequencer. Then you can go into the other two modes and edit it to precisely what you want. The new grid mode makes editing these bass lines REALLY easy.

One of my other favorite things about this synth (other than the amazing filter) is the cv out. So you can play these sweet bass lines on other devices! NICE!! :)

Great update, AudioRealism
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

12 May 2017

Anyone of you noticed the additional features for the VST version? Like wave Analyzer? Or the fron panel setup screen? Anyone knows if the gate-trim is now on front?
http://www.audiorealism.se/audiorealism ... ine-3.html
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

12 May 2017

Loque wrote:Anyone of you noticed the additional features for the VST version? Like wave Analyzer? Or the fron panel setup screen? Anyone knows if the gate-trim is now on front?
http://www.audiorealism.se/audiorealism ... ine-3.html
Gate trim is on the front. Did you read the article or look at any pictures? ;)

As for 'Setup' we have the those remaining parts on the back panel :)

• Information