ABL3 Updated! An overview of the new features

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sdst
Competition Winner

12 May 2017

ok I never tried in depth the ABL3, . but for all the examples I heard

i don't notice a big difference between this and the matrix with the subtractor

joeyluck

12 May 2017

sdst wrote:ok I never tried in depth the ABL3, . but for all the examples I heard

Sounds like you need to give it a try then! :D

sdst
Competition Winner

12 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:
sdst wrote:ok I never tried in depth the ABL3, . but for all the examples I heard

Sounds like you need to give it a try then! :D
Well, I'm going to read the manual carefully..lol

WongoTheSane

12 May 2017

Just one thing: I would have liked the "Next Seed" button to be either remotable, automable (in a Combi), or placed outside of the panel so that it can be used in Grid mode without having to switch back and forth between Grid and Random modes.

Otherwise, it was already quite good before, it's even better now :)

eusti

14 May 2017

Nice update!

Can we now please have an update where sequnetial notes right after each other don't click when played from Reason's sequencer?
I know I had mentioned that right when ABL 3 came out... And I know that I can shorten the notes in the sequencer by hand...
But as this doesn't happen in the built in sequencer, it seems like a bug to me. :/

D.

challism

14 May 2017

I agree with Joey. You need to give this another go. You can't get that squelchy filter sound out of Subtractor. This filter is amazing! Also, being able to easily change/edit the pattern, randomize it, set it to a scale, send notes up/down one octave, etc. And it has CV outs, so you can use it as a matrix type device, if you want. Did I mention that the filter really kicks some serious ass?
Nice update!
Can we now please have an update where sequnetial notes right after each other don't click when played from Reason's sequencer?
I know I had mentioned that right when ABL 3 came out... And I know that I can shorten the notes in the sequencer by hand...
But as this doesn't happen in the built in sequencer, it seems like a bug to me. :/

D.
I agree. Hopefully AudioRealism will fix that in the future.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

eusti

14 May 2017

challism wrote:
eusti wrote:Nice update!

D.
:) (I think most people just use the integrated sequencer, that's why it hasn't been addressed yet...)

D.

challism

14 May 2017

eusti wrote:
challism wrote:

D.
:) (I think most people just use the integrated sequencer, that's why it hasn't been addressed yet...)

D.
I think you are right. I used the sequencer quite a bit when I was beta testing it, and I came across the bug. As have others. So they are well aware of it, as you mentioned you told them about it when ALB3 originally came out. Hopefully, they will fix it, because I still use the sequencer. Since one instance is only good for 64 steps, I use the dial to switch to CV mode during different parts of the song, etc. Also using that Robotic Bean/Selig trick to write notes to track in R9 is handy! Just need to get that clicking solved.

joeyluck

14 May 2017

challism wrote:
eusti wrote:
challism wrote:

D.

D.
I think you are right. I used the sequencer quite a bit when I was beta testing it, and I came across the bug. As have others. So they are well aware of it, as you mentioned you told them about it when ALB3 originally came out. Hopefully, they will fix it, because I still use the sequencer. Since one instance is only good for 64 steps, I use the dial to switch to CV mode during different parts of the song, etc. Also using that Robotic Bean/Selig trick to write notes to track in R9 is handy! Just need to get that clicking solved.
The built-in sequencer handles gates the same as the classic. I always use the built-in sequencer anyways and automate the Pattern knob. Then if I send notes to track via a Player device, all is well in the sequencer. If you aren't using the built-in tools and are going straight to Reason's sequencer, you are missing out on so much!

But yes, I believe it is on the list :puf_smile:

eusti

14 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:
The built-in sequencer handles gates the same as the classic. I always use the built-in sequencer anyways and automate the Pattern knob. Then if I send notes to track via a Player device, all is well in the sequencer. If you aren't using the built-in tools and are going straight to Reason's sequencer, you are missing out on so much!

Glad to hear it's on the list... :)

And thanks for the explanation... It just sounds a bit like "you're using it wrong!" ;)

D.

joeyluck

14 May 2017

eusti wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

Glad to hear it's on the list... :)

And thanks for the explanation... It just sounds a bit like "you're using it wrong!" ;)

D.
The clicks which you might find happen occasionally via Reason's sequencer, occur when notes are very close, yet not touching/overlapping. If you want a slide, have the notes overlap. Otherwise increase space between notes where you might hear a click. At 120 BPM, it occurs only when notes are spaced about 1/128th from each other. I don't experience clicking even when notes are 1/64th apart.

Again, even though I'm sure this will be addressed as it's the same for the VST, I think you'd be missing out greatly by not taking advantage of the very versatile built-in sequencer. I really enjoy and can't live without using step record and Random mode...and then editing in Grid Mode. So much faster to add accents and slides than using Reason's sequencer. And I like sending the sequencer CV out to other instruments and patching to the device itself by sending stuff like Gate or Accent out to Cutoff on the back of the device for some quick wah effects :puf_smile:

eusti

14 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:
The clicks which you might find happen occasionally via Reason's sequencer, occur when notes are very close, yet not touching/overlapping. If you want a slide, have the notes overlap. Otherwise increase space between notes where you might hear a click. At 120 BPM, it occurs only when notes are spaced about 1/128th from each other. I don't experience clicking even when notes are 1/64th apart.

Again, even though I'm sure this will be addressed as it's the same for the VST, I think you'd be missing out greatly by not taking advantage of the very versatile built-in sequencer. I really enjoy and can't live without using step record and Random mode...and then editing in Grid Mode. So much faster to add accents and slides than using Reason's sequencer. And I like sending the sequencer CV out to other instruments and patching to the device itself by sending stuff like Gate or Accent out to Cutoff on the back of the device for some quick wah effects :puf_smile:
Thanks, Joey. I might try playing around with it at some point... Though, I'm usually not a fan of "built in" sequencers... I can never get anything worthwhile out of the Matrix (other than for CV) or the Redrum as sequencers... It's just not how my mind works...

In regards to ABL3, just drawing successive 8th notes into the Reason sequencer creates clicks... (and yes, I know I can select them all and reduce the length from 2.0 to 1.199 @ 120bpm as a work around.)

D.

joeyluck

14 May 2017

eusti wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

Thanks, Joey. I might try playing around with it at some point... Though, I'm usually not a fan of "built in" sequencers... I can never get anything worthwhile out of the Matrix (other than for CV) or the Redrum as sequencers... It's just not how my mind works...

In regards to ABL3, just drawing successive 8th notes into the Reason sequencer creates clicks... (and yes, I know I can select them all and reduce the length from 2.0 to 1.199 @ 120bpm as a work around.)

D.

:thumbs_up:

Gotcha. Yeah this is quite a bit different than those sequencers though. Especially for the step record and the new Random mode. Sure you can randomize on the Matrix, but that's completely random and doesn't have this level of control over everything. I have a lot of fun and get great results adjusting the scale and various sliders in Random mode while 'Apply' is engaged. It updates in real time :D

challism

14 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:
eusti wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

D.

:thumbs_up:

Gotcha. Yeah this is quite a bit different than those sequencers though. Especially for the step record and the new Random mode. Sure you can randomize on the Matrix, but that's completely random and doesn't have this level of control over everything. I have a lot of fun and get great results adjusting the scale and various sliders in Random mode while 'Apply' is engaged. It updates in real time :D

I would love the ability to automate the sliders in the Random mode. Maybe someday the SDK will be able to handle that.

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

15 May 2017

eusti wrote: Glad to hear it's on the list... :)

D.

Hello, the clicks are a known issue yes..! But running at 96kHz they aren't so apparent. They will be adressed in a future update though, we just want to make sure not to break anything while updating this..:)

eusti

15 May 2017

mike^audiorealism wrote:

D.

Hello, the clicks are a known issue yes..! But running at 96kHz they aren't so apparent. They will be adressed in a future update though, we just want to make sure not to break anything while updating this..:)
Glad to hear that it's on the list! :)
Thanks!

D.

househoppin09

15 May 2017

mike^audiorealism wrote:

D.

Sounds good, looking forward to getting this fixed. :thumbs_up: Hopefully that "future update" can still use the SDK that's compatible with Reason 7 and 8, as there are a bunch of us who won't be upgrading for a while!

WongoTheSane

16 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:Anybody figure out the popular pattern featured in the Grid mode image in the article? :puf_smile:
Got me stumped, I typed it in but I don't recognize it. It's been a week, I want to know!! :)

joeyluck

16 May 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Anybody figure out the popular pattern featured in the Grid mode image in the article? :puf_smile:
Got me stumped, I typed it in but I don't recognize it. It's been a week, I want to know!! :)
Well if I did it correctly, it's Da Funk by Daft Punk :puf_smile: About 111 BPM.

WongoTheSane

16 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:
Well if I did it correctly, it's Da Funk by Daft Punk :puf_smile: About 111 BPM.
Damn, I missed that! Nice...

electrofux

17 May 2017

A good example why i would love to have Remote support for Sequencer of the ABL3 is the Grid64 RE (https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... sequencer/) which is nicely controllable via a launchpad or an Ipad app.

• Information